Johnny Manziel wants to play for the Pats..

I think he's absolutely worth a look. If they gave Tebow a shot, there's no reason to give Manziel a shot. I'm always a sucker for a good redemption story and would love to see him play under Brady for a couple seasons and see where he's at after that.

There's certainly precedent for Bill to bring him in.

Step 1: meet with Bill. If he doesn’t pass that move along. If he does then on to step 2.

Step 2: meeting with an agreed upon shrink from both sides. Let them professionally assess his recovery, likelihood of staying clean, dedication to salvaging his career. Pass? Step 3.

Step 3: entry level deal. Incentive bonuses for staying clean and buying in. Escalators for starts. Easy no penalty out for team in event of fvckup.

I’d roll dice.

And i want to sleep with a swimsuit model. Neither are happening in this lifetime.

They could bring him in to camp for a look...but I'd be skeptical.

Personally I think I have a better shot of making the team. All I have to do a show Bill my man boob collection and he’ll be seriously impressed and he’ll want to hire me immediately.

There's certainly precedent for Bill to bring him in.
Not sure what precedent exists for BB taking on a me-first who-cares-about-team guy who's shown time and again that he continues to make the same mistakes, but OTOH, if he ever does the unlikely and gets his stuff together he might be Kevin O'Connell 2.0. How thrilling would that be?

I think I'd rather use the roster spot on a guy who wants to work at football.

But why is it when someone says they want to play for the Pats do we immediately act like there is an iota of interest in the Pats wanting that guy. Do we really believe that BB thinks, "Gee, he wants to play for us. I should sign him."

Not sure what precedent exists for BB taking on a me-first who-cares-about-team guy who's shown time and again that he continues to make the same mistakes, but OTOH, if he ever does the unlikely and gets his stuff together he might be Kevin O'Connell 2.0. How thrilling would that be?

I think I'd rather use the roster spot on a guy who wants to work at football.

But why is it when someone says they want to play for the Pats do we immediately act like there is an iota of interest in the Pats wanting that guy. Do we really believe that BB thinks, "Gee, he wants to play for us. I should sign him."

Maybe the fact they’re there watching him? :shrug_n:

Funny we’ll embrace taking a guy back that gets so shitfaced he kills a jay-walker.

Or a guy that beats the shit out of his baby mamma.

But a guy let’s the big man on campus glam rock star life get a bit out of control and he should live off the grid in Montana.

It's easier forgive them if they can play. You can do all the cocaine you want if you can perform on the field.

Looking right at you Jon Jones.

Funny we’ll embrace taking a guy back that gets so shitfaced he kills a jay-walker.

Or a guy that beats the shit out of his baby mamma.

But a guy let’s the big man on campus glam rock star life get a bit out of control and he should live off the grid in Montana.
Not funny at all. Almost all of us have made at least one horrible decision in our lives, most of us have driven impaired. We just didn't have a guy run in front of our car. you've never done anything that you regret, anything that could have gone badly for you. If Stallworth had continued to do the same stupid thing over and over, I'd see your point.

OTOH, Manziel never learned. He wasn't a bit out of control. He fucked up his life time and again, each time saying he was sorry but never changing his behavior.

My guess is that BB is more concerned about what a player WILL DO the coming year.

Everything I've seen and heard about Manziel tells me he doesn't change. He talks the talk, does not walk the walk, so if you want a guy who will not cause you problems IN THE FUTURE, go with the Stallworths of the world and step away from the Manziels.

Both Manziel and Stallworth paid their penalties and I begrudge neither their pasts. For their futures, though, I think one of them is far more likely to repeat his troublesome behavior in 2018. Him I'd stay away from.

Not funny at all. Almost all of us have made at least one horrible decision in our lives, most of us have driven impaired. We just didn't have a guy run in front of our car. you've never done anything that you regret, anything that could have gone badly for you. If Stallworth had continued to do the same stupid thing over and over, I'd see your point.

OTOH, Manziel never learned. He wasn't a bit out of control. He fucked up his life time and again, each time saying he was sorry but never changing his behavior.

My guess is that BB is more concerned about what a player WILL DO the coming year.

Everything I've seen and heard about Manziel tells me he doesn't change. He talks the talk, does not walk the walk, so if you want a guy who will not cause you problems IN THE FUTURE, go with the Stallworths of the world and step away from the Manziels.

Both Manziel and Stallworth paid their penalties and I begrudge neither their pasts. For their futures, though, I think one of them is far more likely to repeat his troublesome behavior in 2018. Him I'd stay away from.

Sounds different to me. With some actual facts vs slanted opinions.

https://www.thefix.com/former-nfl-star-johnny-manziel-talks-sobriety-mental-health

Former NFL Star Johnny Manziel Talks Sobriety, Mental Health
By Kelly Burch 02/14/18
"I was self-medicating with alcohol because that's what I thought was making me happy to help me get out of that depression."
Johnny Manziel
Former NFL quarterback Johnny Manziel revealed this week that untreated bipolar disorder and addiction were key factors in the demise of his professional football career.

When Manziel won the prestigious Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M in 2012, it seemed like he was setting the stage for an impressive career as an NFL quarterback. That rang even more true when he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the first round. However, Manziel’s career quickly went downhill and his behavior became more erratic and his performance suffered, eventually leading the Browns to let him go after two seasons.

Manziel, 25, received a diagnosis of bipolar about a year ago, he said earlier this week on Good Morning America. Before that, he was using substances to deal with the mental health issues that he didn’t know he had.

"I was self-medicating with alcohol because that's what I thought was making me happy to help me get out of that depression to a point where I felt like I had some sense of happiness," he said, according to Cleveland.com.

However, he realized that that was not a sustainable solution.

"But at the end of the day, when you wake up the next day after a night like that or after going on a trip like that, and you wake up the next day and that's all gone,” he said. "And that liquid courage or that liquid sense of euphoria that's over you that's all gone and you're left staring at the ceiling by yourself and you're back in that depression and back in that hole, that dark hole of sitting in a room by yourself and being super depressed again thinking about all the mistakes you made in your life. Where did that get me? Where did that get me except out of the NFL? Where did it get me? Disgraced.”

Manziel said that he is ready to prioritize his mental health.

“The difference that I know this year is I started taking a look at my mental health a little bit and making it a priority in my life to where I'm taking medication for bipolar and I'm working to try and make sure that I don't fall back into any type of depression because that leads me... I know how slippery of a slope that is,” he said.

He knows that he owes it to himself and his family, including his fiancée Bre Tiesi, to gain control of his mental health.

"I can't help that my wires are a little bit differently crossed than yours. I can't help my mental makeup of the way that I was created,” he said. “But I know that if I stay on the meds and continue to what I'm doing right now, I think my dad, my mom, Bre, I think would all agree that they've seen a drastic change.”

Eventually, he hopes that change might lead him back onto the field.

"I'm coming back from a huge downfall. I don't know what kind of comeback it will be. But I know I want to get back on the football field and do what brought me so much joy."

Back