Kacsmar's Take On Championship Sunday 2013

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
PManning is no longer in the picture so let's see if Kacsmar can forget his anti-Patriots bias in his assessment.

Only twice in Conference Championship history have both road teams won (1992 and 1997), so those rooting for the Harbaugh family should take note of that. The home team is 56-28 (.667) all-time on Championship Sunday. The home team has won six consecutive AFC Championship games, which is the longest streak ever. The only longer streak is the eight straight wins by the home team in the NFC Championship from 1980 to 1987.

Ravens at Patriots: Is third time a charm for Harbaugh and Flacco?

Both New England and Baltimore are in the AFC Championship for the third time each since 2007. The Ravens have yet to break through in the John Harbaugh/Joe Flacco era, losing in Pittsburgh (23-14 in 2008) and of course New England (23-20) last year.
But here they are again, marking just the sixth instance of a rematch or series of rematches in the Conference Championship. The previous rematches share some similar trends, which is bad news for Baltimore.

• 1970-71 Dallas vs. San Francisco: Dallas won on the road, then at home.
  • 1974-76 Oakland vs. Pittsburgh: Oakland lost at home, lost on the road, then finally won at home.
  • 1978-79 Houston vs. Pittsburgh: Steelers won both games at home.
  • 1986-87 Cleveland vs. Denver: Denver won on the road, then at home.
  • 1992-94 Dallas vs. San Francisco: San Francisco lost at home, lost on the road, then finally won at home.
The 1976 Raiders and 1994 49ers shared the same struggles with their respective rivals from Pittsburgh and Dallas, but finally came through at home in that third meeting to go on to win the Super Bowl.
New England will be looking to do what the 1978-79 Steelers did, and that’s sweep their opponent at home. But it will not be easy.
Baltimore needs to get off to a fast start. The Ravens trailed 13-0 in the first quarter in Week 3, but did come back for a 31-30 win. However, that game was in Baltimore, which is one of the best home-field advantages in the league.
But Foxboro might be the best home-field advantage.
nehfa_original.jpg

These records are hard to believe, but they are accurate. You really have to get ahead of New England right away to have a chance. Sure, Kevin Kolb and the Cardinals won 20-18 earlier this season in New England, but that is looking like the biggest fluke of the season.
The Ravens will likely be unable to repeat their 24-0 lead they took in the first quarter in the 2009 AFC Wild Card game, but getting down two scores early will be a death sentence this week.
Sustaining offense will be key for Baltimore, as their defense is going to need rest after facing 87 offensive snaps in each of the last two games. That does not include all the plays that became penalties either. These veterans have been on the field for a lot of plays, and the Patriots love to run the hurry-up faster than anyone.
The Ravens are the 17th team since 1940 to have even two games in the same season in which they faced 87-plus offensive plays. They are the fourth team to do so in back-to-back games, joining the 1986 49ers, 1984 Packers and 1976 Bears.
Did it matter for those teams?
Consider the 1984 Packers, a 1-5 team, played the following week in a snow game in Denver and only allowed three points on defense to John Elway. The 1976 Bears did allow 28 points to the Raiders, who won the game on Cliff Branch’s 49-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter.
The 1986 49ers allowed 14 points early, but made up for it late with two interceptions returned for touchdowns in a 31-17 win. They were playing a 1-6 Green Bay team.
Does it matter that this is January, and the team has played a long season, or that this is another road playoff game after last week’s double-overtime thriller? How about the fact New England is better at running the ball (by a good margin too) than Indianapolis or Denver?
Alas, there is not enough evidence to make anything conclusive here. The Ravens are one game away from the Super Bowl. No one is thinking about being tired.
If there is a positive for the Ravens here, it would be that their defensive stars have not played as much this year because of injuries. The playoffs have been the only two games this season where Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata and Ed Reed were all on the field.
That’s a good reason to ignore a lot of the season stats for Baltimore’s defense, which were not as strong as usual. Injury is why.
The offense can also argue they cannot be judged under what was Cam Cameron’s offense. He was fired and Jim Caldwell was promoted in Week 15. It was a disastrous first game against Denver, but the Ravens have piled up big numbers in their last three full games with the starters on offense:

• Giants (Week 16): Scored 33 points, produced 533 yards, and Flacco passed for 309 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions and a rushing touchdown.
  • Colts (Wild Card): Scored 24 points, produced 439 yards, and Flacco passed for 282 yards and two touchdowns on just 12-of-23 passing.
  • Broncos (Divisional): Scored 31 points (offense), produced 479 yards, and Flacco passed for 331 yards and three touchdowns.
If you want a team that is peaking at the right time, it would be Baltimore. These three games were against pretty good competition, and the offense was dynamic, Flacco had three of his best games, and the defense was limiting points and making plays.
The 2012 Ravens could be like that 2011 Giants kind of kryptonite for New England, having already beaten them. New England’s last six playoff losses have all been to teams they played in the regular season that year.
Like Eli Manning last year, Flacco has talked about being an elite (or the best) quarterback, and he already has a game-winning drive against Brady’s Patriots this year. He should have had the game-winning touchdown pass in last year’s AFC Championship. Lee Evans, Sterling Moore and Billy Cundiff are all gone from this year’s game.
Also like Manning, Flacco loves the vertical throws this season. He is 24-of-83 on passes thrown at least 21 yards this season, and has six touchdowns with no interceptions. In the playoffs, he has hit 8-of-12 deep passes for three touchdowns.
The New England defense is improved from Week 3, and the addition of Aqib Talib will likely lock up with Torrey Smith. Talib can limit those deep balls, which makes one think this needs to be an Anquan Boldin kind of game. Flacco can’t keep hitting these plays forever, and he even missed a couple in Denver.
Most would think Flacco is too inconsistent to keep up this high level of play, and will falter this week on the road, where he historically struggles. But if he can keep away from turnovers and make some big plays on third down, the Ravens are definitely in this game late.
The last six meetings between these teams, all since 2007, have been very close except for Baltimore’s 33-14 rout in 2009. Usually the Ravens choke in the end, as was detailed here, which you can read as a further preview about this budding rivalry.
Just like in Week 3, I am once again going with New England, having learned a lesson from last week. You just have to trust the Patriots at home.
There are still plenty of reasons to like Baltimore, as the Rob Gronkowski injury is another advantage. Hopefully the game is at least as good as last season’s. This is not the time for a 2012-style marquee blowout.
But if you think the Ravens are the team of destiny and Ray Lewis is going to get that Hollywood ending, then here’s one last fact: the No. 4 seed is 6-1 in the Conference Championship since the current playoff format started in 1990.
Who was the only team that lost?
It was the 2006 Patriots against No. 3 Indianapolis.

Final score predictions
Last year I had the Ravens winning 26-23 in New England, but Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff had other ideas. Just going to play it safe this time around. Of the 84 Conference Championship games, only 18 have ended with a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime, including both games last season. Historically, it is the playoff round with the lowest percentage of close wins.

• 49ers over Falcons, 23-17
  • Patriots over Ravens, 27-23
Whatever happens, hopefully incredible special-teams errors are not a deciding factor like a year ago.

Scott Kacsmar writes for Cold, Hard Football Facts, NBC Sports, Colts Authority, and contributes data to Pro-Football-Reference.com and NFL Network. You can visit his blog for a complete writing archive, and can follow him on Twitter at @CaptainComeback.
Flag
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ns-guide-to-nfl-conference-championship-games

It appears he has, at least professionally. This is what he thinks privately.
Scott Kacsmar ‏<s>@</s>CaptainComeback <s>@</s>animedpet Hard to make excuses for Brady when he flat out sucks like 09 AFC-WC. Manning never sunk his team like that

So Brady can have games where he "flat out sucks" but PM can't? What about PM's 6 pickeration fest against the Chargers for one? Oh yeah I think that one is probably AV's fault because he missed a short kick at the end. That right there is lolworthy.

sad thing is people are reading him, giving him a voice by doing such.

he is a blowhard who knows the in thing to do is rip the Pats and lick mannings taint lint.

He sits behind a computer and thinks "self" yes "what stupid thing can I say today to attract bothh the Patriots haters and Patriots Fans" Manning vs Brady "Brilliant"

So Brady can have games where he "flat out sucks" but PM can't? What about PM's 6 pickeration fest against the Chargers for one? Oh yeah I think that one is probably AV's fault because he missed a short kick at the end. That right there is lolworthy.

sad thing is people are reading him, giving him a voice by doing such.

he is a blowhard who knows the in thing to do is rip the Pats and lick mannings taint lint.

He sits behind a computer and thinks "self" yes "what stupid thing can I say today to attract bothh the Patriots haters and Patriots Fans" Manning vs Brady "Brilliant"

What was interesting to me was this: "Last year I had the Ravens winning 26-23 in New England, but Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff had other ideas."
Iow, "I was right, but I was let down by these 2 plays". He makes excuses for himself just as he does for PManning.

Look, I like his stat filled writing BUT I'm finding it more and more difficult to look past his PManning bias. The only thing he's proved to me is that P-choke is the greatest playoff-losing QB in the history of the NFL.

What was interesting to me was this: "Last year I had the Ravens winning 26-23 in New England, but Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff had other ideas."
Iow, "I was right, but I was let down by these 2 plays". He makes excuses for himself just as he does for PManning.

Look, I like his stat filled writing BUT I'm finding it more and more difficult to look past his PManning bias. The only thing he's proved to me is that P-choke is the greatest playoff-losing QB in the history of the NFL.
I like his stuff too, no offense to those who follow. I do believe he may be the ying to the KEZ yang at CHFF and plays his role perfectly.

Birds of a feather cuckoo

I like his stuff too, no offense to those who follow. I do believe he may be the ying to the KEZ yang at CHFF and plays his role perfectly.

He's been a regular poster on the KFFL message boards for a long time. This is no act. He cherry picks stats and situations to prop up Manning despite all logic and does the reverse for Brady (he hates Brady with the passion of a thousand suns).

He posts as StillSwinging on those boards. A Pats fan there has sigged one of his most infamous quotes on that board right after the Welker/Moss trades. At the time of this quote he was posting as Still Life but he was banned from there for a little while due to some insensative remarks he made and came back as StillSwinging. Here's the quote:

"4000 yards and 32 TDs? Yeah sure, I'll call you on that crap right now. He's not the kind of QB that can put up those numbers, and it hasn't been the players holding him back." - Still_life on Tom Brady, 2007

I was about to say that I thought his "statistics" were terrible. Cherry picked and/or with an extremely small dataset.

Pey pey never sunk his team like that? Dafuq? Has he forgetten the 2003 AFCCG where he threw 4 picks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pey pey never sunk his team like that? Dafuq? Has he forgetten the 2003 AFCCG where he threw 4 picks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Or the 4 games in the playoffs they failed to score a single offensive td? Or the 4 games with under a 40 Qb rating? Brady never had under a 40 Qb rating in his playoff career, and has never had a game where the offense did not score at least 1 td.

More from Kacsmar today. He pushes all the hate buttons in this one.

Patriots must validate their record success
While coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady won three Super Bowls together from 2001-2004, that was an eternity ago. The only other current Patriots to have won a Super Bowl with the team are Deion Branch (backup receiver) and Vince Wilfork (as a rookie in 2004). New England’s regular-season success has only increased, but no more championships have come. The Patriots did come excruciatingly close three times, losing two Super Bowls on last-minute touchdown drives by the New York Giants and blowing the largest lead ever in a championship game (18 points), losing to the Indianapolis Colts.

The 2007 season started with controversy after the Spygate story of illegal videotaping broke, questioning the validity of New England’s historic success. Belichick answered with one of the most dominant seasons in history.
Though they were still ahead of the curve offensively in those days, in 2007 the Patriots changed the dynamic of their team by adding receivers Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the latter defining the role of the slot receiver. There was little comparison with their championship teams, which were built on strong defenses.
New England’s 2007 offense became the first to use the shotgun on more than 50 percent of their plays, utilizing elements of the spread offense Belichick picked up on from college coach Urban Meyer.
The results were stunning as the 2007 Patriots scored a record 589 points. Brady threw a record 50 touchdown passes with Moss catching 23 of them. When the team started 10-0, it was outscoring opponents by 25.4 points per game, looking like arguably the most dominant team in history.
But the grind of a march to the perfect season took its toll. The Patriots fell behind by 12 points to the New York Giants in Week 17, but came back to win to clinch the only 16-0 regular season ever. However, the game built confidence in the Giants, who took down the Patriots (12.5-point favorites) in Super Bowl XLII, holding the most prolific offense ever to just 14 points. Brady, who scoffed at Giants’ receiver Plaxico Burress’ prediction of New England scoring 17 points, was sacked five times after enjoying pristine pass protection all season.
It still took the greatest drive in NFL history, engineered by Eli Manning, to get the 17-14 win, but the Giants pulled off the upset, leaving the Patriots with a hollow 18-1 finish.
Brady tore his ACL in the first quarter of the first game in 2008, but the Patriots still managed to finish 11-5 behind Matt Cassel. However, they became just the second 11-5 team ever (1985 Denver Broncos) to not qualify for the playoffs.
Returning to start the 2009 season, Brady led the Patriots to a thrilling comeback win over Buffalo in Week 1, but that would be Brady’s only game-winning drive of the season. The 2009 team struggled to close games out, which was the hallmark of New England’s earlier success in the decade.

The season-changing moment came in Week 10 when the Patriots (6-2) played the Colts (8-0) in prime time. Once holding a 17-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Patriots faced a 4th-and-2 at their own 28, holding onto a 34-28 lead with 2:08 left. Most coaches would punt, but Belichick kept the offense on the field. Brady’s pass to Kevin Faulk was short of the first down, and Peyton Manning threw the game-winning touchdown with 0:13 left in a 35-34 comeback win.
From that point the Patriots finished just 4-4, lost Welker to injury in Week 17, and hosted the Ravens in the Wild Card round. Ray Rice started the game with an 83-yard touchdown run, and Brady turned the ball over three times in the first quarter. Baltimore led 24-0 at that point, and went on to win 33-14. The Ravens lost in New England by a 27-21 final in Week 4.
In 2010 the Patriots again started to evolve their offense after drafting tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. They finished the regular season on an eight-game winning streak, turning the ball over just one time (+23 in turnover differential), and averaging 37.4 points per game (at least 31 points in every game). No performance was more impressive than a 45-3 rout of the Jets in Week 13.
The 2010 Patriots scored 518 points. Brady won his second MVP award, becoming the first unanimous selection ever. He threw 36 touchdowns and only four interceptions, going a record 335 pass attempts without an interception.
This was the scariest team entering the playoffs in recent years. Having clinched the league’s best record (14-2), the Patriots had already beaten the Steelers (39-26), Jets (45-3), Bears (36-7) and Packers (31-27). Those four teams ended up being the final four in 2010, as the Patriots fell flat on their face at home in the Divisional round against the Jets.
Brady threw an interception on his first possession, snapping his streak. Mark Sanchez confidently guided the Jets to an upset win, while the scoring juggernaut managed 11 points in the game’s first 58 minutes against Rex Ryan’s defense. Two late scores were too little too late as the Jets won 28-21.
From 2006-2011, Brady set a NFL record with 31 consecutive wins at home in the regular season. But hidden in the streak were these two home playoff losses.
In 2011 the Patriots again reshaped their offense, fully utilizing Gronkowski and Hernandez, now in their second season, to the tune of 169 receptions for 2,237 yards and 24 touchdowns. Gronkowski had the greatest receiving season ever by a tight end with 18 total touchdowns.
Brady passed for 5,235 yards (second most in NFL history), and the Patriots scored 513 points in the season. But they once again could not solve Tom Coughlin’s Giants, losing in both the regular season and Super Bowl, scoring 17 points this time in a 21-17 loss.
Here the Patriots are again in 2012, scoring 557 points in the regular season, which is the third-highest total in NFL history. One of their latest offensive advancements is the use of one-word play-calls to run a no-huddle offense so fast the defense cannot even get set (here’s looking at you, Houston). It was another stellar regular season, and now they sit two wins away from that elusive ring.
But we have seen this before. In the end, a team the Patriots played in the regular season has come back to beat them, which is what has happened all six times in the playoffs since 2005. It could be Baltimore, who already beat the Patriots 31-30 in Week 3 (in Baltimore), or it could be the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl, who also beat the Patriots this year.
Almost all of the players on the Patriots do not know what it is like to win a Super Bowl, but the shadow Belichick and Brady carry over the team meshes their past title success together with the regular-season records since 2007.
These two eras are mutually exclusive, and the failure to win a championship in this offense-driven era should reflect more poorly on the team, Belichick and Brady than it has so far.
The Patriots are 76-20 (.792) in the regular season since 2007, which is one of the best six-year runs ever. It is also the best run to not produce a championship.
Despite all the offensive records, the Patriots have not sealed the deal since that last Super Bowl win nearly eight years ago. New England has already had three of the highest-scoring teams in NFL history and only managed to score 14, 21 and 17 points in a season-ending loss for which it was the favorite each time.
As a 9-point favorite over Baltimore, the Patriots obviously cannot win the Super Bowl this Sunday, but they can lose another shot at one after yet another historic regular season.
The opportunities are running out for Brady and Belichick. While those two can rest on their laurels, history will not treat the Patriots as kindly without a championship to validate this era’s success.
Ravens seek breakthrough win and perfect ending for Lewis
No one should be sleeping on the Ravens. The return of leader Ray Lewis has lifted the team, as they hope to create that storybook ending with a walk-off Super Bowl victory, enjoyed in past years by John Elway (1998) and Jerome Bettis (2005).
The Ravens are in the AFC Championship game for the third time since 2008, the start of the John Harbaugh/Joe Flacco era. Once again they are on the road, having lost 23-14 in Pittsburgh (2008) after Flacco threw an interception returned for a touchdown by Troy Polamalu.
There is the bitter taste of last year’s loss, in which Patriots defensive back Sterling Moore knocked what would have been the game-winning touchdown out of Lee Evans' hands with 22 seconds left. Seconds later, Billy Cundiff rushed and missed the game-tying kick, just the second time in history a kicker missed a do-or-die field goal in a championship game or Super Bowl.
(The first time was when the Buffalo Bills' Scott Norwood missed the game-winner in Super Bowl XXV, lifting then-New York Giants defensive coordinator Belichick with the win.
Harbaugh came from Philadelphia, where he was the special teams coordinator during the Eagles’ streak of three straight losses in the NFC Championship (2001-2003). His team has enough big-game experience to get over the hump, but it is always a tough task to win in Foxboro.
Baltimore is 2-4 against New England since 2007, but every loss was a nail-biter that went down to the wire. These teams know each other well, and the Ravens can point to a few positive signs after going through a so-so regular season.
The Ravens already have beaten the Patriots this year, and the 503 yards of offense they piled up that night are the most New England has allowed this season. The Patriots have improved on defense since Week 3, but so has Baltimore.
The postseason has been the only time this year the Ravens have had their big four on defense intact. That’s Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata. While they have faced 174 offensive snaps the last two weeks, this defense is back to making plays and limiting points. They will also get some help from the fact that Rob Gronkowski is out for the Patriots.
If winning a Super Bowl these days is more about peaking at the right time, having to overcome adversity, then the Ravens fit the bill. They have the rallying cry to win one for Lewis, Flacco is thriving with big pass plays after the team replaced offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, and after the Giants, no team has given the Patriots more problems than the Ravens.
New England’s not the only consistent winner in this game that lacks a recent championship. The Ravens are just the sixth team to ever win a playoff game in five consecutive seasons, but they are the only team to not reach at least one Super Bowl. Only the 2000-04 Eagles failed to win a Super Bowl, while the other four teams all came through at least once.
With legacies on the line, and windows closing on some of the game’s greats, this should be a classic AFC Championship.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50490986/ns/sports-nfl/

chevss454 Will S. ‏<s>@</s>animedpet <s>@</s>CaptainComeback Wow, you pushed all the hater buttons in that smarmy article. You must be proud.

chevss454 Will S. ‏<s>@</s>animedpet <s>@</s>CaptainComeback Glass half full or half empty? I celebrate the Pats' accomplishments as a winning team. You make 'em snd like losers. LOL
chevss454 Will S. ‏<s>@</s>animedpet <s>@</s>CaptainComeback and yet you go way overboard making P-choke sound like a winner. How ironic.
I'll keep you informed.

chevss454 Will S. ‏<s>@</s>animedpet <s>@</s>CaptainComeback No, I'm comparing the SLANT given by you on the Manning articles vs the slant on the Patriots article today. <s>#</s>agenda
Scott Kacsmar ‏<s>@</s>CaptainComeback <s>@</s>animedpet Check the table. Teams winning that often that long don't come home empty every year.

"It still took the greatest drive in NFL history, engineered by Eli Manning"
ROFL
ROFL
ROFL
THAT is the "greatest drive in NFL history"??? That fricken luckfest of a drive???? Eli somehow engineered the velcrohelmet???? ROFL ROFL

And if the Pats offense centric teams failing to win a championship after 04 should reflect poorly on the PAts what does it say about the offense centric Colts winning only one, and not because of their pass offense? ROFL

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL
THAT is the "greatest drive in NFL history"??? That fricken luckfest of a drive???? Eli somehow engineered the velcrohelmet???? ROFL ROFL

And if the Pats offense centric teams failing to win a championship after 04 should reflect poorly on the PAts what does it say about the offense centric Colts winning only one, and not because of their pass offense? ROFL

I could use some help, HS. :grovel:

I'll try chevss... I've had some browser issues and am on safari right now. It's not the fastest thing in the world, not sure how it will handle twitter.

I'll try chevss... I've had some browser issues and am on safari right now. It's not the fastest thing in the world, not sure how it will handle twitter.

Firefox, Girl!!

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL

Yeah, that was probably the worst game winning drive in history. Three pickable balls and an answered prayer.

This guy has rocks in his head.

I love and prefer ff, but it's been dragging my computer down memory wise (I have a lot of add ons)so I'd been using chrome. It's probably more this computer (desktop). HD is ancient and memory is low.

Back