Lombardi reports Welker is ahead of schedule, "will probably be cleared for workouts"

Kontradiction

4x Covid Survivor
Reaction score
Lombardi reports Welker is ahead of schedule, "will probably be cleared for workouts"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/06/wes-welker-remains-ahead-of-schedule/

Michael Lombardi reported Tuesday on NFL Network's Total Access that Welker is ahead of schedule.

Lombardi reported that Welker likely won't be a full participant when training camp opens on July 31, but that he's making enough progress that he'll probably be cleared for team workouts at some point during training camp

Man? Or machine? YOU decide...

What does "ahead of schedule" mean?

I don't expect Welker to be 100% pre-injury in terms of explosiveness, lateral mobility, and ability to separate until 2011 at the earliest. I think he'll be 85-90% by mid-season. Is that "ahead of schedule"? I don't know. Do the Pats need a 70-80% Welker in the lineup week 1? I don't think so.

We rushed Jerod Mayo back way too early last season after his week 1 MCL sprain, and everyone criticized him for not making the expected 2nd year leap. People noted that he lacked the same explosiveness. Duh. What did people expect? It didn't help that he was playing out of his natural position at SILB all season, but he clearly wasn't entirely recovered from his injury and was rushed back.

Welker may be medically "cleared" to practice sometime during training camp, but anyone who thinks that he'll be anywhere close to his pre-injury form week 1 is crazy. We just don't need him that badly the first 6 weeks - especially not the Welker that we are likely to have, one who just doesn't have the some "pop" and uncanny ability to turn on a dime, accelerate and get instantaneous separation. I'd rather have a healthy Edelman than an 70-80% effective Welker, putting addition wear and tear on his knee and possibly slowing his return to 100% pre-injury form. Keep WW on PUP, let the other guys develop, and ease him in over the 2nd half of the season.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Exactly, Mayoclinic. I'd rather have a healthy Mayo for 10 more seasons and a healthy Welker for 5 more, rather than rushing them back. Mayo clearly wasn't in top shape, I recall him missing a lot of tackles he probably would make otherwise.

Welker's recovery seems "miraculous." That said, I hope this "miracle" is related to his will and dedication, using that concentrated blood cell treatment (whatever it was called) or sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber. I hope he is not dumb enough to go the HGH route.

What does "ahead of schedule" mean?

I don't expect Welker to be 100% pre-injury in terms of explosiveness, lateral mobility, and ability to separate until 2011 at the earliest. I think he'll be 85-90% by mid-season. Is that "ahead of schedule"? I don't know. Do the Pats need a 70-80% Welker in the lineup week 1? I don't think so.

We rushed Jerod Mayo back way too early last season after his week 1 MCL sprain, and everyone criticized him for not making the expected 2nd year leap. People noted that he lacked the same explosiveness. Duh. What did people expect? It didn't help that he was playing out of his natural position at SILB all season, but he clearly wasn't entirely recovered from his injury and was rushed back.

Welker may be medically "cleared" to practice sometime during training camp, but anyone who thinks that he'll be anywhere close to his pre-injury form week 1 is crazy. We just don't need him that badly the first 6 weeks - especially not the Welker that we are likely to have, one who just doesn't have the some "pop" and uncanny ability to turn on a dime, accelerate and get instantaneous separation. I'd rather have a healthy Edelman than an 70-80% effective Welker, putting addition wear and tear on his knee and possibly slowing his return to 100% pre-injury form. Keep WW on PUP, let the other guys develop, and ease him in over the 2nd half of the season.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I think most of us can agree that we don't want him rushed back. And I don't think the coaching staff would let him play if they saw their second most prized posession not at least at 90%. However, the fact that he's been back running through drills and should join the team at some point for training camp practices says a lot about his sheer will to get on the field.

I think most of us can agree that we don't want him rushed back. And I don't think the coaching staff would let him play if they saw their second most prized posession not at least at 90%. However, the fact that he's been back running through drills and should join the team at some point for training camp practices says a lot about his sheer will to get on the field.

There's no doubt that Welker has favorable genetics and incredible sheer will and determination. I applaud both. The way in which he has come back so quickly gives me hope that he will eventually be 100% back to his baseline, and that we will probably see close to that sometime in 2010. That's extremely encouraging. But he's a man, not a machine, and I'm not willing to guess for more than that at this still early guncture.

While it's somewhat automatic to say "I don't think the coaching staff would let him play if they saw their second most prized possession not at least at 90%" or something similar, the team did rush Mayo back last season. It normally takes about 8 weeks to recover from his MCL sprain, and he was back against Denver week 5 after injuring his MCL week 1 against Buffalo, and was never the same Mayo as the one we saw as a rookie. Did we need him that badly? We went 3-1 in the 4 games Mayo missed (including the Buffalo game), and 7-5 with him back. So I'm not convinced that a 75-80% Mayo was a difference-maker for us.

I just hope we don't make the same mistake with Welker. Favorable genetics and great determination are wonderful and go a long way, but there's still a natural history and timecourse to recovering from these kind of injuries which can't entirely be denied.

Welker's recovery seems "miraculous." That said, I hope this "miracle" is related to his will and dedication, using that concentrated blood cell treatment (whatever it was called) or sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber. I hope he is not dumb enough to go the HGH route.

I just hope he wasn't dumb enough to use his own credit card and have them shipped to his house. That's what cousins are for (ask Ty Law).

Hopefully with guys like Tate, Holt, Gronkowski, Price, and Hernandez being in the mix, Hoyer won't throw to Welker too much this year. Welker needs to be eased back in.

Hopefully with guys like Tate, Holt, Gronkowski, Price, and Hernandez being in the mix, Hoyer won't throw to Welker too much this year. Welker needs to be eased back in.

Glad to see you back on form.

ROFL ROFL some people never change.....

I thought I would do some research regarding the surgical technique of ACL repair that Dr. Thomas Gill most likely utilized to repair WW's ruptured ACL. Dr. Gill recently wrote a paper with two of his colleagues from Mass. General which is summarized as follows:

SUMMARY
We believe that the mid-third patella tendon is a better
graft than a hamstring graft because it allows bone-to-bone
healing within the femoral and tibial tunnels. We have been able
to minimize complications of taking a graft from the middle
third of the patella tendon by utilizing an accelerated postoperative
rehabilitation program, as described by Shelbourne. This
requires the use of continuous passive motion (CPM) for 23
hours a day for the first seven days after surgery.
We prefer to use autografts in patients who are younger
than about 40 years. If the patient is older than 40, we give the
patient the option of choosing an allograft after explaining the
benefits and potential risks. If the patient has had prior ACL
reconstruction using an mid-third patella tendon autograft and
has recurrent instability, we prefer to use a mid-third patella
tendon graft allograft (and no postoperative CPM).
Since the results of using single bundle and double bundle
grafts are reported to give similar results, we think it is better
to use the single bundle method. This is less complicated to
perform, requires less drilling of the femoral and tibial condyles,
and has withstood the test of time.

http://www.orthojournalhms.org/volume9/manuscripts/ms25.pdf

Dr. Gill likes the B-T-B single bundle procedure. This leads me to believe WW probably had the Bone-patella tendon-Bone autograft procedure in his reconstruction. Photos of WW's knee show an incision over the patella tendon to corroborate. The Shelbourne rehab Dr. Gill uses is a very aggressive rehabilitation aimed at maintaining Range of Motion (ROM) and recovering 'symmetrical' muscle strength (same in both knees) and backing off the exercises if soreness, swelling or pain occur.

Rehabilitation Protocol
Shelbourne claims it now models many
things he told his patients not to do, they
did anyways, and still got better
Results in 1wk, 2wk, 4wk, 8wk, 12wk, PRN
follow up visits / rehabilitation sessions
Relies on patients to follow guidelines and
perform exercises at home
Allows patients to make decisions
regarding what they can and cannot do; with
advisement

This is very interesting in that for the first few weeks post-op the patient is held to a rigid routine. After that, within reason and so long as there is no swelling, pain or fluid accumulation, much of the aggressiveness is left up to the patient. His complete rehab routine is at the link below.

http://www.utc.edu/Academic/Graduat...s/acl/Accelerated ACL Rehabilitation 2007.pdf

Shelbourne believes complete rehab can be achieved in 6-8 months using his regimen. This in no way tells me WW will be ready for the 1st game but it does tell me he could be ready. If he takes part in TC, we will know for sure.

Not sure welker is playing much with the second or third team, so not sure hoyer will be throwing to him at all in practice.

NESN has an article regarding WW's recovery today.

So far, there don't appear to be any unexpected setbacks in Welker's recovery, though he did spent a bulk of his time during OTAs and minicamp in individual activities.
While no date has been set for a return, given the progress Welker has made, he may be ready to go in the Patriots' season opener, according to The Boston Globe.
Taking into account the type of injury and its severity, the Globe speculates that the Patriots could place Welker on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list before training camp starts, making him eligible for the regular-season PUP, which would keep him off the field for six weeks.
But the Patriots also haven't ruled out that Welker will be ready to play in Week 1.
"If Wes Welker is able to play the first game, [if] he's there, he'll be healthy," wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea told the Journal a few weeks ago. "He'll have a role, just like our other players have a role. If Wes Welker is not there, we'll have other players that have certain roles that would do well within that role."
Welker's injury is similar to Tom Brady's in 2008, but in terms of recovery, the injuries are very different, the Globe reports. The fact that Welker's torn ligaments weren't a result of contact, and that his MCL tear could heal on its own before surgery makes for a simpler and faster recovery.
New England opens the regular season against Cincinnati on Sept. 12.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/07/wes-wel...edule-could-be-ready-to-play-in-week-one.html

Welker's had three of the most awsome years I have ever seen by a New England Patriot. Tough as nails, and catching 100+ balls each year was prettty historic. I think anything else from here on in is gravy.

Brady only has 3 or 4 more years at the most of excellence. Maybe 1 or 2. This Patriots fan says: "If Welker can play, put him out there this year. I want to see another Patriots team have a chance at the championship".

As far as Mayo is concerned, again, the window is closing on the Patriots. Last year was one of the last ones we can expect the Patriots to be excellent, imho. They needed Mayo to have a chance at the championship. And if Welker was available in that last playoff game, I'm here to tell you the Patriots may have won it all last year.

Gotta have that combination of Brady, Moss, and Welker next season.

Go Patriots!

Welker's had three of the most awsome years I have ever seen by a New England Patriot. Tough as nails, and catching 100+ balls each year was prettty historic. I think anything else from here on in is gravy.

Brady only has 3 or 4 more years at the most of excellence. Maybe 1 or 2. This Patriots fan says: "If Welker can play, put him out there this year. I want to see another Patriots team have a chance at the championship".

As far as Mayo is concerned, again, the window is closing on the Patriots. Last year was one of the last ones we can expect the Patriots to be excellent, imho. They needed Mayo to have a chance at the championship. And if Welker was available in that last playoff game, I'm here to tell you the Patriots may have won it all last year.

Go Patriots!

I can't disagree with you more:

1. Brady is 32, almost 18 months younger than Peyton Manning. He's played 11 seasons compared to 13 for Manning, but in reality his first season was spent on the PS and one season was spent on IR, so he has only 2/3 the pass attempts that Manning has. Manning hasn't showed much sign of slowing down since turning 32, and I don't expect Brady to either. I think Brady has 5-6 more top years left in him if he wants to keep competing for that long.

2. I don't believe that the "window" is closing on the Pats at all. Far from it, I believe the door is opening for another 5-6 year run as a perennial SB contender with 2-3 more SBs in that period. BB has almost completely rebuilt the defense, with every single critical player under 30 (only Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis and Derrick Burgess are over 30). Mayo is 24, Butler is 24, Meriweather is 26, McCourty is 22, Chung is 22, Spikes is 22, and Jermaine Cunningham is . Bodden and Wilfork are 28, Ty Warren an ancient 29. On offense Moss and Brady are getting up in years but still playing at pro bowl levels. We have a ton of young talent: Vollmer is 26, Maroney 25, Brandon Tate 22, Taylor Price 22, Gronkowski 21, and Hernandez 20. Welker is 29. We have a bunch of young developmental prospects on both OL and DL. We have as good a young nucleus to build on as any team in the NFL.

3. The 2009 Patriots were in transition, and probably weren't going to win anything, whether or not Welker was on the field. They were inconsistent all season, and played uncharacteristically - poor red zone execution, 2nd half collapses, poor play on the road, communication breakdowns, etc. It is possible that they could have gotten hot and put together a postseason run, but it was very unlikely, with or without Welker.

1. Brady is 32, almost 18 months younger than Peyton Manning. He's played 11 seasons compared to 13 for Manning, but in reality his first season was spent on the PS and one season was spent on IR, so he has only 2/3 the pass attempts that Manning has. Manning hasn't showed much sign of slowing down since turning 32, and I don't expect Brady to either. I think Brady has 5-6 more top years left in him if he wants to keep competing for that long.

2. I don't believe that the "window" is closing on the Pats at all. Far from it, I believe the door is opening for another 5-6 year run as a perennial SB contender with 2-3 more SBs in that period. BB has almost completely rebuilt the defense, with every single critical player under 30 (only Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis and Derrick Burgess are over 30). Mayo is 24, Butler is 24, Meriweather is 26, McCourty is 22, Chung is 22, Spikes is 22, and Jermaine Cunningham is . Bodden and Wilfork are 28, Ty Warren an ancient 29. On offense Moss and Brady are getting up in years but still playing at pro bowl levels. We have a ton of young talent: Vollmer is 26, Maroney 25, Brandon Tate 22, Taylor Price 22, Gronkowski 21, and Hernandez 20. Welker is 29. We have a bunch of young developmental prospects on both OL and DL. We have as good a young nucleus to build on as any team in the NFL.

3. The 2009 Patriots were in transition, and probably weren't going to win anything, whether or not Welker was on the field. They were inconsistent all season, and played uncharacteristically - poor red zone execution, 2nd half collapses, poor play on the road, communication breakdowns, etc. It is possible that they could have gotten hot and put together a postseason run, but it was very unlikely, with or without Welker.

Agree with all this. Since when did 32 become old for a QB? Thats prime years.

Go Patriots!

The window is closing on Brady's career, though 3-4 years is a long time in the NFL world. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded statement. The window already closed on the 2003-4 and even the 2007 Patriots, but BB has quietly rebuilt almost the entire team. A new window is opening.

You spend a lot more time than I reviewing college players, so I'm sure there is more to the optimisim than "NE picked 'em so they must be good!". But in some ways I think you count "talent" before it proves itself. I agree with your general sentiment, but I think patience is warranted.

Back