Looking At The AFC - 2016

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
It's a new season, boys, and that brings additions and subtractions to every AFC team. So far, the only AFC team to improve themselves in FA is KC. I think the Steelers provide our biggest hurdle to the SB this year but FA isn't over and the draft is coming up. The Pats haven't done much in FA yet but neither has our AFC competition. The big money has been spent and now it's BB's time to fill any remaining holes with value players.

From PatsPulpit
Looking on the impact of the AFC landscape after the first week of free agency. The offseason is far from over and it's too early to declare which teams could rise or fall in the AFC, but the Patriots have to be feeling better coming out than going in.

The Patriots are in very good shape to return for the AFC Championship Game in 2016. Here are my thoughts on how their conference rivals have done so far.

Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers will be without WR Martavis Bryant, who is facing a full-year suspension. The Steelers do have viable options to replace him with Sammie Coates and potentially bringing back WR Mike Wallace, who served in a similar capacity in the Steelers offense 2009-2012 as Bryant. Overall, the Steelers are a bit weaker at TE with Heath Miller retiring and they will miss his blocking skills with Ladarius Green. I still have them as the #2 team in the AFC after free agency. If they land some impact talent in their secondary, I expect them to challenge the Patriots for the top seed.

Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals' season went south as soon as Andy Dalton's thumb broke while making a tackle after an ill-advised interception. They lost their #2 and #3 WR, that were realistically their 4th and 5th target in their offense to big contracts and were able to retain their starting middle linebacker and strong safety. This is a team that is well-positioned in the AFC picture and have a lot of talent thanks to great signings and strong drafting. Even though the Bengals have that playoff bugaboo hanging over them, it is a team that can be expected to compete for a title once they break through that mental block.

Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs are the only team that I think have gotten better in this free agency period. They were able to retain key players that are getting up there in age. The Chiefs were able to add Mitchell Schwartz to a very reasonable deal to improve the RT position on their offensive line. The Chiefs have to be the favorite to win their division since that team really lacks any weaknesses. While they aren't in the same tier as the Patriots and Steelers, they are a dark horse threat to carry the AFC in 2016.

Denver Broncos: Key players have left in search of big contracts. The Broncos were able to retain Derek Wolfe and Von Miller, which is a plus. However they have lost Danny Trevathan, Brock Osweiler, and Malik Jackson in free agency. I don't expect Denver to worry too much about it and they are a very well-run organization. I expect them to be able to fill these losses with impact talent on the defense. Trevathan and Jackson are nice players, but not key cogs for them. They may have to find a QB better than Mark Sanchez if they want to compete for the AFC West division. I still have them as a playoff team.

New York Jets: The Jets have the personnel to defeat the Patriots, but they lack a quarterback as they are struggling to retain Ryan Fitzpatrick. As the market dries up, I believe Fitzpatrick will return to the Jets eventually, but they are definitely going to be a tough opponent. The Patriots will win the AFC East in 2016, but the Jets are definitely going to make that as tough as possible. With a receiving corps that features Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, the Patriots CBs are going to have their hands full. Jets lost Chris Ivory and replaced him with Matt Forte, which to me is a lateral move if not slight downgrade although they will have a better receiver out of the backfield now. The RB position had an overall plus upgrade because Khiry Robinson is underrated.

Houston Texans: The Texans have gone bold this offseason with the additions of QB Brock Osweiler and RB Lamar Miller. After winning the AFC South, the Texans feel that having a competent QB could make them competitive against the top teams in the conference and are hoping the big moves on offense help them go from an anemic unit to a respectable one. If the Texans offense does improve as well on the field as they have on paper, they should be a tough team to beat for the Patriots and makes them the favorite in the AFC South.

Buffalo Bills: The Bills overall stayed about the same. They lost LB Nigel Bradham and WR Chris Hogan, but were able to retain their top FA in Richie Incognito. The Bills aren't as threatening as the Jets when it comes to the AFC East picture, but they can be a nuisance both on and off the field. The Bills are talented enough to beat the Patriots in a single game where a lot of breaks go their way. One story line to monitor this season is how the Bills defensive backs handle former teammate Chris Hogan and the New England Patriots receivers.

Miami Dolphins: One word describes the Miami Dolphins season, LOL. The Dolphins lost Olivier Vernon and Rishard Matthews, but replaced them with Mario Williams and 2015 1st round pick Devante Parker. The Dolphins also attempted to make a splash by acquiring 2015 FA bust Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso for a 4th round pick while swapping first round picks, which has the equal value of a low 2nd round pick for the difference between the 8th and 13th overall pick. We'll see if this is more of the same and the Dolphins slowly spiraling towards football oblivion.

The Patriots typically do their damage in free agency on the 2nd week, which means some very interesting stuff should happen in the coming days. I expect the Patriots to address the RB and OL positions of need while continuing to look for depth options at DE, DT, LB, and CB. The Patriots don't necessarily need to make any big signings and could use their cap space to extend their most important defenders before reaching free agency. Grab the popcorn, soda, and candy folks, it's going to be a good educational movie.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/3/13...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Caserio spoke at the Sloan Conference yesterday and confirmed that low supply/high demand in FA has pushed prices to ridiculously high levels this yr. He also talked about WRs coming from college to the NFL is a huge jump and the key thing they look for is performance in their pre-draft evaluation where they judge each player's capacity to learn a complex NFL offense.

1.Won't draft RBs w/ fumble issues
2.Draft WR based on ability to learn
3.FA prices too high
4.Player health 1st and foremost & the Pats build depth so players aren't rushed back too soon.

================================
It appears to me the Pats have decided to change their WR signing habits to put more emphasis on players' ability to learn. That should mean no more Taylor Prices or Chad Ochocincos. I'm good with that.

The Sloan Conference continues today.

Early AFC predictions.

AFC West=Denver Broncos
AFC SOUTH=Indianapolis
AFC NORTH=Pittsburgh
AFC East=New England

Wild Card #1=Cincy
Wild Card #2=Oakland

I like what the new look oilers have done this offseason. They could competitive for a couple years with those moves. They really took a swing with Brock.

I can't understand why the Steelers are picked to finish so high season after season when the Bengals have been the class of that division the last few season and the Steelers have won only one playoff game since 2010.

The teams I see challenging the Pats are the Bengals first who would have secure the bye last year if not for Dalton's thumb injury. I would then put the Chiefs next as they should win the West over Denver. Oakland could be a dark horse as well. After that I would put the Texans who if they can get consistent play from Oz will run away with the awful South. The wild cards won't matter just like they didn't last year.

Bungles are the Bungles...they won't go anywhere with Lewis as the coach. Their ceiling is the first round of the playoffs. One and dunzo...I'll believe it when I see it.

LOL at Mark Sanchez and Patrick Fitzryan as QB.

Broncos finish third or maybe second in AFCW, but they are more likely to miss the playoffs than win the division.

You did watch last season did you not? This forum was blowing up all year talking about how terrible the broncos QB play was. I think combined the 2 QB's were like a 72 QBR or some shit. So, I'm not sure where this comment comes from. Dirty or Fitz couldn't be any worse, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Broncos starting QB could easily be Trevor Siemian. The defense will be not much different. So, I would be careful overlooking the Donkeys. Either way. I'll enjoy the Super Bowl win until next year!

You did watch last season did you not? This forum was blowing up all year talking about how terrible the broncos QB play was. I think combined the 2 QB's were like a 72 QBR or some shit. So, I'm not sure where this comment comes from. Dirty or Fitz couldn't be any worse, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Broncos starting QB could easily be Trevor Siemian. The defense will be not much different. So, I would be careful overlooking the Donkeys. Either way. I'll enjoy the Super Bowl win until next year!

Do you think that Elway will draft a qb high?

Do you think that Elway will draft a qb high?

I hope not. I would like him work on the O-line and defense depth. The depth is why I'm not too worried of the Broncos loss this offseason, but we need to bring in replacements. If the right QB falls in the draft and we can get good value, maybe. But I don't see him reaching for anyone. Maybe Breese will be available next year. We'll bring on old has beens and continue to win that way! Shit maybe Brady in 4 years. Lol

I hope not. I would like him work on the O-line and defense depth. The depth is why I'm not too worried of the Broncos loss this offseason, but we need to bring in replacements. If the right QB falls in the draft and we can get good value, maybe. But I don't see him reaching for anyone. Maybe Breese will be available next year. We'll bring on old has beens and continue to win that way! Shit maybe Brady in 4 years. Lol

Brady does not have to go to Denver to win. He has more SB's than your Franchise. The Baltimore style of winning only happens once a decade or so.

Elway will be judged heavily on his ability to draft THE guy either this season or next season. By letting Brock go, a QB that Denver developed for 4 years AND learned behind Manninhgh is a stain on Elway that will not go away quickly or easily. Even if Brock struggles in Houston, Bronco fans will always wonder if he would have been better in Denver.

Elway will be judged heavily on his ability to draft THE guy either this season or next season. By letting Brock go, a QB that Denver developed for 4 years AND learned behind Manninhgh is a stain on Elway that will not go away quickly or easily. Even if Brock struggles in Houston, Bronco fans will always wonder if he would have been better in Denver.

Another thing he will be remember for is 2 Super Bowls in 4 years, including one win. I get what you're saying, I just don't buy it. He is sticking to his model, and Bronco fan will appreciate it. The one how stands the most to lose is Brock himself.

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

Brady does not have to go to Denver to win. He has more SB's than your Franchise. The Baltimore style of winning only happens once a decade or so.

oops. did I forget the :coffee: guy? I don't really believe Brady or Breese will be a Bronco.

Another thing he will be remember for is 2 Super Bowls in 4 years, including one win. I get what you're saying, I just don't buy it. He is sticking to his model, and Bronco fan will appreciate it. The one how stands the most to lose is Brock himself.

Past performance is not indicative of future success. On that note, here is a fantastic post from a great poster on the Mane that perfectly sums up Elway's tenure and why he should be questioned going forward.

Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27
The fact is, Elway's legacy here was always going to be directly tied to his acquisition of Manning, a gamble that one can easily argue only looks successful if he wins the Suoer Bowl. Had Manning retired with only the humiliating blowout SB game against the Seahawks to show for the decision and the embarrassing last second choke job against the Ravens as well, then John's record as GM looks decidedly different at this point, because how successful would his legacy be seen with these twin dissapointments alone?

One can ask if this weighed in his decision to bring Manning back and try to let the defense push him through to a title. One can also wonder if Kubiak didn't need an excuse to cast the decision as related to a perceived failure by Brock to justify the move based in this. It's hard to imagine any other reason for public comments that seemed otherwise unnecessary.

The real cost of not retaining Brock has less to do with what he appeared to be and a lot more to do with what he could become, which is why the 4 years of Manning University that we wasted on a guy who's gone now represents a sunk cost that could have been prevented for the additional features cost of signing one average player.

A long game approach would have recognized that 7 games for a guy who came off the bench cold and yet played well enough to lead dramatic comeback wins over playoff teams with the worst offensive line in the NFL might not be enough to determine if the plan you spent 4 years insisting was correct was worth divesting from. As it stands now, it appears they were caught by surprise and had no realistic backup plan to their presumption that he would stayed. It can take years to find a true franchise QB and there's no telling how long we will play with stopgaps in the meantime. Regardless of whether you think Oz has that in him or not is hardly the point since Elway thought so for 4 years and plainly said so all along when asked.

So ask yourself whether he was wrong with his original evaluation the and if you think so, then you have every right to question him now.

Back