Looking at the Offense

Not much to look at regarding Chris Taylor, but here's an article from 2 years ago when he was with the Texans:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4368

The article discusses how various players might fit into Houston's ZBS. Gary Kubiak notes that he's "looking forward to seeing more of Chris Taylor as he comes back and adapts to what we're doing with the running game. ... He's doing some good things right now." Taylor describes himself as "a perfect fit for the team's zone blocking scheme because he has the speed to hit holes and break away downfield. 'You have to do one cut and get downhill. ... Once you see your hole, you have to pick your hole and you have to hit it. Anytime you are doing a lot of moving around, that hole is going to close up real fast. That's the type of style I have. I don't juke around a lot. I'm a one cut and I'm up the field.' "

The idea of a back who doesn't dance a lot and who makes one cut and gets up field is attractive. But it's just words until he shows us anything. Hard to expect much from a 5th year fringe RB who hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Not much to look at regarding Chris Taylor, but here's an article from 2 years ago when he was with the Texans:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4368

The article discusses how various players might fit into Houston's ZBS. Gary Kubiak notes that he's "looking forward to seeing more of Chris Taylor as he comes back and adapts to what we're doing with the running game. ... He's doing some good things right now." Taylor describes himself as "a perfect fit for the team's zone blocking scheme because he has the speed to hit holes and break away downfield. 'You have to do one cut and get downhill. ... Once you see your hole, you have to pick your hole and you have to hit it. Anytime you are doing a lot of moving around, that hole is going to close up real fast. That's the type of style I have. I don't juke around a lot. I'm a one cut and I'm up the field.' "

The idea of a back who doesn't dance a lot and who makes one cut and gets up field is attractive. But it's just words until he shows us anything. Hard to expect much from a 5th year fringe RB who hasn't been able to stay healthy.
The key is 'fifth year' fringe, we know a lot of guys who have talent never make it in the NFL, the fact he continues to get the opportunity tells me he's showing decision makers enough - if he's got the work ethic with no learning deficit disorder he's in the right place to start making good on the potential.

I looked unsuccessfully for video of Chris Taylor. All I could find is what you already know: UDFA by Texans in 2006. Has only played in 7 games in 4 years having spent the last 29 regular season games on IR and didn't play in 2007 either.

Sep 13, 2009 - Taylor was placed on the IR with a shoulder injury.
Oct 18, 2008 - Taylor is on injured reserve with a quadriceps injury.
Mar 27, 2007 - Taylor re-signed with Houston on Tuesday. The running back was an undrafted free agent from Indiana who spent much of his rookie season on the practice squad before being activated in December. He played in four games and had 28 carries for 123 yards and a touchdown.

I found this thread by you Box on Wendell.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=33101

Moss has fired his agent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Earlier this year, Patriots receiver Randy Moss made it known that he doesn't expect the Patriots to sign him to a contract extension.

It could be that he will be enlisting a new agent to help him try to get a new deal done. Moss is entering the final year of his contract, during which he's due to earn a base salary of $6.4 million.

A reader/tipster advised us earlier today that Moss has filed the paperwork necessary to sever ties with Tim DiPiero, who has represented Moss since his career began in 1998. We've indirectly confirmed the development via the absence of Moss on the comprehensive list of players and agents available on the NFLPA website. Traditionally, active players who are without agents are omitted from the list.

Per the reader/tipster, Moss currently is looking for a new agent. Under NFLPA rules, five days must pass after the termination before a new agent is hired.

I think that Tate will be a huge contributor this season, both on ST and on offense, as long as he can stay healthy.
I believe Tate is going to be the Pats version of a Percy Harvin/Desean Jackson type all-purpose weapon. In college he was a threat to make a big play anytime he touched the ball. We're going to see more end arounds and screens this year. I'm really excited about this guy.

I think at least one (and possibly both) of Paschall and/or C. Taylor makes this roster.

I actually really like the North Dakota kid. He always gets those extra feet/yards along the sidelines instead of turning it OOB, hits holes fast but shifts his weight to avoid a taking lot of big hits, and isn't afraid to drop his shoulder and deliver a hit when the situation warrants it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think at least one (and possibly both) of Paschall and/or C. Taylor makes this roster.

I actually really like the North Dakota kid. He always gets those extra feet/yards along the sidelines instead of turning it OOB, hits holes fast but shifts his weight to avoid a taking lot of big hits, and isn't afraid to drop his shoulder and deliver a hit when the situation warrants it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm liking Paschall's ability to break tackles quite a bit. This is a fun video with others of him if you want to continue watching him. BB and co. have some decisions to make soon, especially at ILB and RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbufca7znJ4

Randy Moss fired his agent and will finish his career without one.

When we received a tip earlier today that Patriots receiver Randy Moss has parted ways with long-time agent Tim DiPiero, we were told that Moss is now looking for a new agent.

DiPiero has confirmed that he no longer represents Moss. But DiPiero says that Moss currently plans to move forward with no agent at all.

"Randy has talked to me for a while about finishing his career without an agent and recently told me that as a veteran entering his entering his 13th season, he no longer believed he needs an agent," DiPiero said in a press release sent to us via e-mail. "He told me he would be sending me official notice of his decision which he did last week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-plans-to-finish-his-career-without-an-agent/

I believe Tate is going to be the Pats version of a Percy Harvin/Desean Jackson type all-purpose weapon. In college he was a threat to make a big play anytime he touched the ball. We're going to see more end arounds and screens this year. I'm really excited about this guy.

I sure hope so. I want one of those guys - even better yet, one of those guys minus the off field problems and attitude. I'm pretty psyched up about all the positive sound bites Tate has gotten so far this Spring.

Particularly since the Pats didn't even offer him a tender, and no other team in the league had the slightest interest. It doesn't make him sound like the RB of the future.

I like Pat Pashall myself, while admitting that no team bothered to use even a seventh round pick on the guy, and that my prior RB flyer picks were Antoine Womack, Kyle Eckel, Mike Malan, and the Cobbs boys (Cedrick and Patrick). Especially Patrick. I really liked Patrick Cobbs.

Particularly since the Pats didn't even offer him a tender, and no other team in the league had the slightest interest. It doesn't make him sound like the RB of the future.

I like Pat Pashall myself, while admitting that no team bothered to use even a seventh round pick on the guy, and that my prior RB flyer picks were Antoine Womack, Kyle Eckel, Mike Malan, and the Cobbs boys (Cedrick and Patrick). Especially Patrick. I really liked Patrick Cobbs.
I was a big Cedric Cobbs fan, myself. Take heart: most years, Paschall is a 6th, and maybe a 4th without the off-field stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was a big Cedric Cobbs fan, myself. Take heart: most years, Paschall is a 6th, and maybe a 4th without the off-field stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be thrilled to see anything from either Pat Paschall or Chris Taylor. Sammie Morris and Fred Taylor combined for 136 carries for 588 yards and 6 TDs. The 4.3 average was resectable , but there's a lot of room to increase production from the #2/3 RBs. If either young guy can push them it would be a big bonus, given their age and the fact that neither will likely be with the team after 2010.

Posted via Mobile Device

Looking at what limited video I can find of Paschall, he seems to have a knack for slipping or breaking tackles. But I can't tell if he has enough speed/strength to do that against NFL caliber defenders.

Jason Cole of Yahoo sports ranks the Pats RB squad 28th out of 32 teams:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Amf1_7sEhGn0I29csyIYKJ9DubYF?slug=jc-rbrankings053110

Regarding the Pats, Cole noted that "it was a tad surprising when the Patriots didn’t spend a high pick in the draft on a running back. The Patriots have a collection of guys you might want on your team, such as Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor. But even when you throw in leading rusher Laurence Maroney, none of them stand out as a player you want to lean on. Maroney has been a huge disappointment and doesn’t even fit into the New England’s spread-offense philosophy anymore." Of course, there have been several suggestions that the Pats may be moving away from the spread at long last.

The top 4 running teams were Minnesota, Tennessee Carolina and Baltimore. In the AFCE the Jets ranked 8th, Miami 14th and Buffalo 18th. Among other AFC teams Indy was ranked 24th, San Diego 25th, and Pittsburgh 22nd.

Looking at what limited video I can find of Paschall, he seems to have a knack for slipping or breaking tackles. But I can't tell if he has enough speed/strength to do that against NFL caliber defenders.
Are you knocking North Dakota's schedule?!?!?

It's like the SEC!
Posted via Mobile Device

NFL.com's Pat Kirwan lists OT Sebastian Vollmer as one of 20 players poised for a "breakout":

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818615a5&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Personally, I think it's a lame list, since almost every player on the list has already been extremely successful. Saying that James Laurinaitis, who had 120 tackles as a rookie, could "break out" isn't exactly going out on a limb, for example. Same thing with Vollmer, who showed all pro potential as a rookie, or guys like Mike Wallace and Curtis Lofton. I would have liked to see him go for broke with some players who haven't done much to date who he thinks will break out (as I think Pat Chung will do this year).

Saying that Vollmer "could be on the edge of a Michael Roos-type career" shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point.

Jason Cole of Yahoo sports ranks the Pats RB squad 28th out of 32 teams:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Amf1_7sEhGn0I29csyIYKJ9DubYF?slug=jc-rbrankings053110

Regarding the Pats, Cole noted that "...The Patriots have a collection of guys you might want on your team, such as Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor. But even when you throw in leading rusher Laurence Maroney, none of them stand out as a player you want to lean on....
His point is echoed across the media and fandom, but personally I have never understood why you have an excellent runnning game if you have one guy carry 30 times for 150 yards a game while two JAG RBs sit on the bench, but you have a bad RB situation if three RBs each carry 10 times for 50 yards each.

Back