Looking at the Patriots - 2017

Bledsoe and his son at the Bruins game

DOn7FXSWkAAr7h-.jpg

The Pats lead the NFL with six 12-men-on-the-field penalties drawn this season.
Second in that category? The Vikings and Packers are tied with two.

Josh tells how the Pats do it. Thanks, Josh! :spank:

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/too-many-men-patriots-very-good-making-other-teams-look-bad

I was listening to the weekly Belichick radio interview this week. He was asked about the 12 men penalty they caught Denver with on the punt that got them a 1st down. He was asked who's call that is, punter or someone else. His answer was that it's up to the punter's "personal protector", which for the Pats is Nate Ebner.

Did anyone else catch Collinsworth talking about Brady's throwing motion during the game Sunday? He said Brady rarely steps into throws. He opens his left hip instead which saves wear and tear on his arm. I remember Brady saying in the past that if I kept the same throwing motion he would have worn out his arm. I am wondering if anyone can share how this motion does that and also how he maintains such great accuracy if he is opening his hips?

Did anyone else catch Collinsworth talking about Brady's throwing motion during the game Sunday? He said Brady rarely steps into throws. He opens his left hip instead which saves wear and tear on his arm. I remember Brady saying in the past that if I kept the same throwing motion he would have worn out his arm. I am wondering if anyone can share how this motion does that and also how he maintains such great accuracy if he is opening his hips?

I did catch that. I initially dismissed it as Collinsworthian bullshit, but the video examples actually backed up his observations.

Brady must have a core of concrete...with rebar.

Collinsworth didn't go into a lot of detail.

High level QB's don't really "step" into short throws. They step into deep intermediate routes and deep downfield routes where they are high arcing the ball. If they have to use true leg drive with a big step to throw the ball short with their legs they're going have serious issues w/accuracy.

For most shorter type throws the QB has to open his hips in order to generate upper body torque & follow-thru to generate velocity and accuracy. For instance, if you're throwing left without opening your hips left you physically can't follow through. You can stand and point your left foot straight ahead and mimic a throw to an out breaking route and feel that you can't actually follow through.

Basically on those throws the QB is trying to create a hallway to throw the ball down to the receiver. The hallway is the width of his body to the target. He sets the hallway with his back foot stepping to align his instep with the target location. The hall way is mentally split in to. One half in the right side of his body to the target the other half his left. If you throw right, your back foot should be in the right half of the hallway. You should then step to the left half of the hallway with your left foot to open up your hips and get your upper body involved in the throw. There's a lot of mechanics involved from the tips of the toes to the tips of the fingers on your throwing hand but when talking about throwing mechanics & footwork these are the basics.

Deep throws call for different mechanics with a long stride and a different pad level which is visible to the naked eye.

If you look at the attached photos the first shows Brady at the top of his drop looking to hit Gronk on a crossing route. Brady wants to create a hallway to his target spot with his back foot the step across the hallway to open his hips to generate torque. The second pic shows him creating the hallway with the instep of his back foot and him starting to step into the left side of the hallway to his target location.

The third pic shows Brady setting up to hit a quick Slide on a Slant/Slide combo. His back foot has created the hallway and he's stepping into the left half opening up his hips to allow the follow-thru we see in pic 4.

These throws are in this video which the NFL won't allow to be embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFei7v6wdY&t=41s

Excellent and clear analysis, AWTE

You & your posts are always welcome. :toast:

I love informative posts and that's great stuff AWTE nice of you to take the time for it!

Patriots' Tom Brady, Dion Lewis earn AFC Player of the Week honors

AllWorldTE - Great stuff. Thank you! Please post more if you have it. I love those type of info. posts. I learn so much.

This was just before SB:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TeQhl5suQm8" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edelman on "Pardon My Take" (Barstool) roasts WWelker for his drop in the SB and much more.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pardon-my-take/e/52232621?autoplay=true

Known around the league as a goofy, passionate, and outspoken person, Edelman had many funny anecdotes, including a conversation he had with Wes Welker after winning Super Bowl XLIX against the Seahawks.
Katz: So I heard this story, you can confirm this or deny it, but I heard a story that, I don’t remember if it was at the Kentucky Derby or maybe a private plane, something, somewhere where all of the guys were hanging out, and Wes Welker was giving you shit and he was saying “I was you before you were you,” busting your balls, and you said “Yeah but the only difference is that I made the catch in the Super Bowl and you didn’t.” True or false?
Edelman: (Laughs) That is one of those things, everyone has banter...
Katz: Sounds like it’s true! Was there tension between you and Wes?
Edelman: Wes is like an older brother, bro you know what I mean. You know everyone talks: when you get in a room full of fellows, you guys are tossing back some shots, you go from the Kentucky Derby to the Floyd Mayweather fight, you’re sitting there and it’s one of those things where you guys get to jawing and things are said.
PFTCommenter: Also, Welker was probably on 6 kinds of molly at the time so he doesn’t remember any of that.
Honestly, this is pretty hilarious to me on so many levels. One thing, that’s notable is that Wes Welker loves to play the horses and party, so that backstory with Edelman is definitely believable. He had previously went to the Breeders Cup during his bye week in 2013 with Dan Katz, and he was famously suspended for 2 games to start the 2014 season after taking molly laced with amphetamines at the Kentucky Derby.

And while Edelman may have roasted Welker about his famous 4th quarter drop against the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI, it’s good to see that they still talk and hang out, and have no hard feelings. The have a relationship where they can rib on one another and have fun about it, and honestly, those are the best kind of friendships.
Also included in the interview were a number of fantastic stories about his Patriots career. Some highlights include...

• A 1st hand account of how he was introduced to the slot cornerback position in 2011 and ended Ladainian Tomlinson’s career on his first career defensive snap.
  • What it’s like to practice under Bill Belichick and study film.
  • His story about how he wasn’t concussed by that Kam Chancellor hit in Super Bowl XLIX.
  • His account about his road to recovery from his torn ACL and using TB12 facilities.
  • Edelman discussing how Gronk is “a genius”, “great with numbers” and is extremely smart in film study.
  • https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/11/...lman-roasted-wes-welker-about-super-bowl-drop
DOrdJKIVoAAc37J.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ocial&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Vs the Broncos

1. Tom Brady, New England Patriots93.8 overall grade

1710-Brady.jpg

Brady was sharp throughout the game, exploiting matchups and executing the New England offense at a high level. He was only pressured on eight of his 35 dropbacks, but he finished 6-for-7 for 89 yards and a score, good for a perfect 158.3 passer rating. The Patriots have had some uncharacteristic red zone struggles this season, but Brady’s short-area accuracy was on display on all three red zone touchdown passes, particularly his 11-yarder to Dwayne Allen that was perfectly placed up and away from coverage. For the game, Brady finished 12-for-14 for 159 yards and a touchdown on passes thrown in between the numbers.

Back