Looking at the Patriots - 2018

BB actually speaks with the media at the owners' meeting in Fla.

The first thing he talks about is how he kept Josh from leaving.
This is a new more open BB we're seeing now it seems to me.
Worth a listen

http://www.patriots.com/audio/2018/03/25/bill-belichick-325-exciting-time-year-team-building

Thanks for finding that. Yes, I thought it was worth a listen but not because we learned much in the way of details about anything new, but just because whenever I listen to Bill talk I feel better. It relaxed me.

With all the off-season worries out there it's good to be reminded that Bill is still in charge and that is a very good thing. What I got out of the interview was basically that nothing has changed and we've got the smartest football guy in the universe working on the 2018 season just like he always does and he's not worried about anything, so why should I? We are still the same Patriots that scare the crap out of every other team in the league.

Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss.

I've got some friends that swear that nobody in customs gives a shit about pot anymore. It's all about weapons and terrorism, so these people travel with weed all the time.

I personally think that is a foolish thing to assume and nothing good can happen to your vacation if that rule of thumb isn't necessarily universal.

Costa Rica is a fabulous enviornment to grow quality weed. But....it's a whole 'nother country and two ounces is a relative shitload to be importing anywhere, especially when anybody can go down there and buy a bag. When I was there I had barely walked out of the cruise ship terminal and I got approached to buy some.

Two fucking ounces. How high did Duron plan on getting down there?

With the weed that is out there now I could stay high for a year on two ounces and what is the point in hiding it in a can with drug-sniffing dogs in every airline terminal in the world?

Yeah, it was quite stupid and inexplicable. I just hope the Pats have the sense to not overreact on the situation. Give him a slap on the wrist and let it go. Nobody really cares that much.

At least he isn't on goofballs.

Who was the guy that got busted with a metric shit ton of weed (we’ll just tag it a jaric) and summarily got released? Showed some promise but not production to Harmon’s level.

Yes.

Might have been about to break camp. Kid was coming on strong. Made some plays. Big pot bust. See ya.

Think it was around the Moss era.

May have been a returner of some sort.

Willie Andrews DB arrested in Lowell a few days after the 2007 Season Super Bowl.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QxFINwCMcAs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really nice story about Kraft's Patriots plane taking the MSD kinds and families to Washington.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/26/m...mmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Robert Kraft had a letter for them all in their seats.

DZOi1uRU0AA81Mj.jpg:large

Willie Andrews DB arrested in Lowell a few days after the 2007 Season Super Bowl.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QxFINwCMcAs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Winner! Winner!

Chicken dinner!

From AWTE no less!

:clap::clap::clap:

That partially explains why I didn't remember the incident. And thanks.

Good discussion of the Pats' needs.
There's no question the Patriots glaring weakness was the Front 7 last year. This is already a more talented and deeper DL this year with the addition of Shelton and Clayborn. Bring Harrison back and the DL is all set from my pov. LB still needs to be addressed.

JMac adds depth to the DBs but I don't expect him to have another career year after his career performance last year. Otoh, Butler had a down year overall last year and JMac should be able to surpass what Butler did for us in 2017. There's always the possibility that playing with Devin gives JMac extra incentive to sustain his play from last year. Fingers crossed.

Replacing Solder is the key though; they're right about that. I've been told the coaches really like Cole Croston's development so he's a possibility. Waddle will get reps in camp. Garcia is still recovering but when healthy he has talent, size and a junkyard dog's meanness. Tobin will get his chance to compete, too. No lack of bodies.

Thanks for posting, sg14.

Good discussion of the Pats' needs.
There's no question the Patriots glaring weakness was the Front 7 last year. This is already a more talented and deeper DL this year with the addition of Shelton and Clayborn. Bring Harrison back and the DL is all set from my pov. LB still needs to be addressed.

JMac adds depth to the DBs but I don't expect him to have another career year after his career performance last year. Otoh, Butler had a down year overall last year and JMac should be able to surpass what Butler did for us in 2017. There's always the possibility that playing with Devin gives JMac extra incentive to sustain his play from last year. Fingers crossed.

Replacing Solder is the key though; they're right about that. I've been told the coaches really like Cole Croston's development so he's a possibility. Waddle will get reps in camp. Garcia is still recovering but when healthy he has talent, size and a junkyard dog's meanness. Tobin will get his chance to compete, too. No lack of bodies.

Thanks for posting, sg14.

I want to like this Garcia kid. I really do. But I have doubts and reservations.

This was BEFORE the injury that cost him over 40 lbs:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/antonio-garcia?id=2557938

Antonio Garcia (OT)
HT: 6'6" WT: 302LBS.
POSITION: OT
SCHOOL: Troy
ARM LENGTH: 33 3/8"
HANDS: 9 7/8"
Overview
Garcia would have been a four-year starter at the left tackle spot for Troy had he not missed half his redshirt freshman season due to a knee injury. Garcia fell through the cracks in the recruiting process as he was the first athlete at Charles Drew High School, located south of Atlanta in Riverdale, Georgia, to earn first-team all-state recognition. After making six starts on the blind side in 2013, he started 36 of 37 games after that in the key position. Garcia was an honorable mention All-Sun Belt pick in 2015 and a first-team all-conference selection as a senior.

SELECTED BY: Patriots
ROUND: 3
PICK (OVERALL): 21 (85)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"There's some significance to this move. Garcia has starting left tackle traits, but he's a great fit. He plays nasty through the whistle. He's a little grabby in pas protection. They'll straighten him up in New England." -- Mike Mayock
COMBINE STATS
40 YARD DASH: 5.15 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 24 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 31.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 108.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.98 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.94 SEC
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Outstanding athleticism. Very good lateral quickness coming out of stance. Former high school hooper who still has basketball feet. Able to mirror pass rushers before and after engagement. Rarely beaten cleanly around edge by speed. Continues to slide feet and maintain engagement up and around pass arc. Works to keep his blocks centered in his power zone. Easily redirects back inside to chase an inside challenge. Has loose hips and quick feet providing recovery ability. Plays with his length. Fluid in space and can get to challenging angles. Keeps battling to anchor if he gets bumped early. Finds ways to get his man blocked.
Weaknesses
Carries stringy frame with upper body that looks like a defensive end. Lack of lower body strength exacerbated by elevated pad level. Needs to bend hips to dip pad level below defender's. In pass protection, opens outside hip up early rather than staying square in initial stages. Hands take outside path to target and punch can be ill-timed, allowing rusher first strike into his frame. Defaults to lunging at target when he panics. Lacks anticipation against twists. Will have to add more bulk and strength. Grabs and holds to counter bull-rush. Narrow base carries no power as base blocker in run game. Footwork and angles inconsistent on reach blocks.
Draft Projection
Round 2
Sources Tell Us
"He was below 280 (pounds) in the spring and was below 290 at one point in the fall, so I'm not sure how much weight he can actually carry." -- Scout for NFC team
NFL Comparison
Jared Veldheer
Bottom Line
Consistently playing below 300 pounds, his lanky frame is the first thing that gets noticed. But his positive attributes show up on tape more than his weaknesses. Mass and functional strength are concerns and he still needs plenty of technical work, but a team could look to draft and stash him based on his starter's traits and ability.

I want to like this Garcia kid. I really do. But I have doubts and reservations.

This was BEFORE the injury that cost him over 40 lbs:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/antonio-garcia?id=2557938

Antonio Garcia (OT)
HT: 6'6" WT: 302LBS.
POSITION: OT
SCHOOL: Troy
ARM LENGTH: 33 3/8"
Overview
Garcia would have been a four-year starter at the left tackle spot for Troy had he not missed half his redshirt freshman season due to a knee injury. Garcia fell through the cracks in the recruiting process as he was the first athlete at Charles Drew High School, located south of Atlanta in Riverdale, Georgia, to earn first-team all-state recognition. After making six starts on the blind side in 2013, he started 36 of 37 games after that in the key position. Garcia was an honorable mention All-Sun Belt pick in 2015 and a first-team all-conference selection as a senior.

SELECTED BY: Patriots
ROUND: 3
PICK (OVERALL): 21 (85)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"There's some significance to this move. Garcia has starting left tackle traits, but he's a great fit. He plays nasty through the whistle. He's a little grabby in pas protection. They'll straighten him up in New England." -- Mike Mayock
COMBINE STATS
40 YARD DASH: 5.15 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 24 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 31.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 108.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.98 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.94 SEC
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Outstanding athleticism. Very good lateral quickness coming out of stance. Former high school hooper who still has basketball feet. Able to mirror pass rushers before and after engagement. Rarely beaten cleanly around edge by speed. Continues to slide feet and maintain engagement up and around pass arc. Works to keep his blocks centered in his power zone. Easily redirects back inside to chase an inside challenge. Has loose hips and quick feet providing recovery ability. Plays with his length. Fluid in space and can get to challenging angles. Keeps battling to anchor if he gets bumped early. Finds ways to get his man blocked.
Weaknesses
Carries stringy frame with upper body that looks like a defensive end. Lack of lower body strength exacerbated by elevated pad level. Needs to bend hips to dip pad level below defender's. In pass protection, opens outside hip up early rather than staying square in initial stages. Hands take outside path to target and punch can be ill-timed, allowing rusher first strike into his frame. Defaults to lunging at target when he panics. Lacks anticipation against twists. Will have to add more bulk and strength. Grabs and holds to counter bull-rush. Narrow base carries no power as base blocker in run game. Footwork and angles inconsistent on reach blocks.
Draft Projection
Round 2
Sources Tell Us
"He was below 280 (pounds) in the spring and was below 290 at one point in the fall, so I'm not sure how much weight he can actually carry." -- Scout for NFC team
NFL Comparison
Jared Veldheer
Bottom Line
Consistently playing below 300 pounds, his lanky frame is the first thing that gets noticed. But his positive attributes show up on tape more than his weaknesses. Mass and functional strength are concerns and he still needs plenty of technical work, but a team could look to draft and stash him based on his starter's traits and ability.

If you go back and read Solder's draft profile, there's some pretty interesting similarities.

If you go back and read Solder's draft profile, there's some pretty interesting similarities.

I’ll bite.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nate-solder?id=2495232

Nate Solder (OL47)

SEARCH BY

Grade
Photo of Nate Solder
HT: 6'8" WT: 319LBS.
POSITION: OL
SCHOOL: Colorado
ARM LENGTH: 35 1/2"
Overview

Solder is one of the premier left tackle prospects in this class with the size, strength and athleticism needed to succeed on Sundays. Very sound in pass protection, not as susceptible to the bull rush as you might think given his leaner build, just needs to continue to develop his game against complete pass rushers with a vast array of skills and moves. Very complete in the running game as well, firing off the ball, gaining leverage and moving his feet inline and in space. Understands assignments, locates his man at the second level or on the edge and recognizes and reacts to blitz packages. A true first-round talent.

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Solder possesses rare height, and length and impressive mobility. Frame and long arms make him difficult for pass rushers to navigate around and he uses wingspan and hands well to control defenders. Gets off the ball quickly and has good power in the run game. Very comfortable in space. Outstanding awareness.

Weaknesses

Could afford to add some additional bulk to his frame. Needs to watch his balance when facing edge rushers with speed and power moves. Would benefit from becoming a bit more consistent against stunts and twists. Would like to see him play with a mean streak for all four quarters.

From Bedard

• A Bill Belichick-friendly source agreed with my thinking that once a player makes Belichick start to contemplate life without him, Belichick starts to warm to being without that player. “He imagines you gone,” he said. The longer Gronkowski goes without saying he’s all in, the chances of him being traded increases, the source said.
  • Sources from two teams that would make sense for Gronkowski said they absolutely would be interested if Belichick called. “He’d be perfect for us,” one said.
  • Likely haul in return: possible late first-round pick if the team has it, but more likely a high second-rounder and a third.
  • In terms of the most likely team to deal for Gronkowski, everyone agreed the 49ers would be the ideal trade partner. “Put him back with (Jimmy) Garoppolo, they have nothing at tight end, they have the cap space ($46 million) and maybe (John) Lynch will overpay to make up for the deal Belichick gave him on Jimmy,” one AFC general manager said. “And you don’t have to worry about Gronk in your conference.”
  • Others said not to discount the Rams. “He’d make way more sense than (Odell) Beckham,” an NFC GM said.

If I'm BB, I want the 9ers #9 pick in this draft for Gronk. Hell, we already gave them JimmyG for a song.

=====================================
After signing Waddle the Pats have $7,441,358 in cap space acc to Miguel.

Also from Bedard

When it comes to edge players, the Patriots are most concerned with whether or not you can set the edge. Everything else, including rushing the passer, is secondary.
It’s the reason why, among others, Cassius Marsh was released after the team traded for him (but was signed to an extension by the 49ers), and replaced by Eric Lee off the Bills’ practice squad. It’s why Deatrich Wise saw his playing time go from a season-high 18 snaps against the run and 88.1 percent overall against the Bills in Week 13, to 16 total snaps against the run and less than 50 percent playing time in the final seven games of the season — even though he was the team’s second-best pass rusher.
This goes to what I wrote about earlier in the offseason: You can have your dreams. You can have your draft binkies. But 95 percent of the time, Belichick will not go get a dominating pass rusher because he has a tried and tested system that works with phenomenal efficiency.

Here’s what you need to understand. Other schemes and teams want players to go up the field off the edge. That has never been a priority for Belichick. He wants to control the edge. The way he looks at it, if you control the middle (two inside tackles) and the two edges, it’s a triangulation of power that is the foundation of his defensive scheme. If you don’t control those three points, then the manpower needed to overcome those deficiencies has a disastrous trickle-down effect (defensive backs have to play run and pass, offensive linemen get out on linebackers, etc). Controlling the edge is the name of the game for Belichick, and that’s why some players like Chris Long weren’t great fits in New England.

If there’s a disconnect I hear most when it comes to Patriots fans and Belichick’s scheme, it’s in this area. Fans want a dominating pass rush. They don’t want bend-but-don’t-break. They want pressure and three-and-outs.
And it’s fair to disagree. The argument is there to be made that in this pass-happy age, New England should readjust and focus on affecting the quarterback first. It’s great to be better against the run — and we illustrated why that was such a problem last year and how the team moved swiftly to clean that up — but when the games are decided in the fourth quarter, it usually comes down to whether or not the opposing quarterback can execute against you.
I get that argument. But Belichick’s scheme is tested and true for years. I’d make the counterargument the Patriots’ failings in the Super Bowl were more about personnel (Marsh and Kony Ealy failed additions, and injuries) than they were scheme and Belichick’s system. Seems like he does as well.
==================================

If you've watched the drills at Pro Days that BB has run, you've seen BB using 2 bags instead of just 1 as other teams do.
This is to see if a player can 2-gap, plain and simple.

Also from Bedard

When it comes to edge players, the Patriots are most concerned with whether or not you can set the edge. Everything else, including rushing the passer, is secondary.
It’s the reason why, among others, Cassius Marsh was released after the team traded for him (but was signed to an extension by the 49ers), and replaced by Eric Lee off the Bills’ practice squad. It’s why Deatrich Wise saw his playing time go from a season-high 18 snaps against the run and 88.1 percent overall against the Bills in Week 13, to 16 total snaps against the run and less than 50 percent playing time in the final seven games of the season — even though he was the team’s second-best pass rusher.
This goes to what I wrote about earlier in the offseason: You can have your dreams. You can have your draft binkies. But 95 percent of the time, Belichick will not go get a dominating pass rusher because he has a tried and tested system that works with phenomenal efficiency.

Here’s what you need to understand. Other schemes and teams want players to go up the field off the edge. That has never been a priority for Belichick. He wants to control the edge. The way he looks at it, if you control the middle (two inside tackles) and the two edges, it’s a triangulation of power that is the foundation of his defensive scheme. If you don’t control those three points, then the manpower needed to overcome those deficiencies has a disastrous trickle-down effect (defensive backs have to play run and pass, offensive linemen get out on linebackers, etc). Controlling the edge is the name of the game for Belichick, and that’s why some players like Chris Long weren’t great fits in New England.

If there’s a disconnect I hear most when it comes to Patriots fans and Belichick’s scheme, it’s in this area. Fans want a dominating pass rush. They don’t want bend-but-don’t-break. They want pressure and three-and-outs.
And it’s fair to disagree. The argument is there to be made that in this pass-happy age, New England should readjust and focus on affecting the quarterback first. It’s great to be better against the run — and we illustrated why that was such a problem last year and how the team moved swiftly to clean that up — but when the games are decided in the fourth quarter, it usually comes down to whether or not the opposing quarterback can execute against you.
I get that argument. But Belichick’s scheme is tested and true for years. I’d make the counterargument the Patriots’ failings in the Super Bowl were more about personnel (Marsh and Kony Ealy failed additions, and injuries) than they were scheme and Belichick’s system. Seems like he does as well.
==================================

If you've watched the drills at Pro Days that BB has run, you've seen BB using 2 bags instead of just 1 as other teams do.
This is to see if a player can 2-gap, plain and simple.

Curious to see if Matty P. can replicate this system in Detroit.

From Bedard

• A Bill Belichick-friendly source agreed with my thinking that once a player makes Belichick start to contemplate life without him, Belichick starts to warm to being without that player. “He imagines you gone,” he said. The longer Gronkowski goes without saying he’s all in, the chances of him being traded increases, the source said.
  • Sources from two teams that would make sense for Gronkowski said they absolutely would be interested if Belichick called. “He’d be perfect for us,” one said.
  • Likely haul in return: possible late first-round pick if the team has it, but more likely a high second-rounder and a third.
  • In terms of the most likely team to deal for Gronkowski, everyone agreed the 49ers would be the ideal trade partner. “Put him back with (Jimmy) Garoppolo, they have nothing at tight end, they have the cap space ($46 million) and maybe (John) Lynch will overpay to make up for the deal Belichick gave him on Jimmy,” one AFC general manager said. “And you don’t have to worry about Gronk in your conference.”
  • Others said not to discount the Rams. “He’d make way more sense than (Odell) Beckham,” an NFC GM said.

If I'm BB, I want the 9ers #9 pick in this draft for Gronk. Hell, we already gave them JimmyG for a song.

=====================================
After signing Waddle the Pats have $7,441,358 in cap space acc to Miguel.

If we ever traded Gronk and only got back a 2nd or 3rd round pick, after only getting a 2nd rounder for Jimmy G, I think I would lose it.

If Bill canget an outstanding deal for Gronk, a Jimmy Johnson type-trading Herschel Walker for an insane number of draft picks, then go for it. But he can't be let go and give another team yet another bargain.

Back