Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Yep. See my post above yours.

Yes, I just saw it. Gotta learn to fully read threads before firing stuff off.

I fully agree that the NFL can over-complicate anything. I don't mind as that leaves BB (or any look-ahead coach who studies the rules) an opening to use to their best advantage, but they never learn:

1. NFL makes a poorly written rule.
2. Some smart coach/GM takes advantage.
3. NFL re-writes rule
4. Newly written rule causes two new problems for every problem it solves.
5 Repeat ad nauseum.

Are there any surprise/intriguing cuts from other teams? With no preseason I've basically read Pats only news thus far.

RB Lamar Miller, released by the Pats, is visiting the Bills today. Ugh.

If he signs, they'll grill him about our plans for the offense. Not that he knows much...but I did have hopes for him on the Pats.

Fitzmagic has been named the starter for Miami next Sunday.

He's 3-9 (.250) vs the Patriots. Only Phillip Rivers has a lower win% against the Pats, .111.

Today we should find out which PS member(s) will be placed on a 3 week IR. My guess is Beau Allen.
Hearing that WR Kristian Wilkerson has been signed to the PS along with Mason Kinsey. Thanks, Vrabel.
With no preseason games for film, we should expect a lot of guys brought in to the PS for try outs for a few weeks. Roster churning could be affected by COVID19.

RB Lamar Miller, released by the Pats, is visiting the Bills today. Ugh.

If he signs, they'll grill him about our plans for the offense. Not that he knows much...but I did have hopes for him on the Pats.

From everything I’m hearing regarding Harris I’m VERY much in favor of this move. Rather the reps go to a guy we’re building on than a guy clinging on .

BB is still talking up Cam. Can't wait to see him in an actual game!

Bill Belichick keeps heaping praise on Cam Newton
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2020, 12:47 PM EDT

It’s believed that former Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wanted out of New England due in part to the failure of coach Bill Belichick to sufficiently praise the quarterback for his efforts.

If that was the case with Brady, Belichick is definitely taking a different approach with Brady’s successor.

“He’s come in and do everything we’ve asked him to do,” Belichick told reporters on Monday regarding Cam Newton. “He works had. He’s obviously a very talented player and looking forward to continue to work with him. We’ll just take it day-by-day, but he’s given us everything he’s had and we’ve tried to put the team in the best position we can competitively. We’ll see how that all comes out. I’m sure a lot of things will change as the season goes along. We are where we are for right now and just keep trying to get better every day.”

One thing that could change is that Cam could get injured. A foot injury ended his 2019 season after two games, and a shoulder problem derailed a promising 2018, during which the Panthers had started 6-2.

Still, if Newton can stay healthy (and if the Patriots can keep him healthy), the Patriots could end up in much better shape than anyone would have imagined, with a quarterback who ended up still being available in late June.

Oh, we've signed JJ Taylor from the practice squad! Damien Harris drops to IR...he'll miss at least 3 games.

The UDFA streak continues!!

Don’t see it here. Shows a very good ability in contested throws. I remember he has MASSIVE paws.

https://youtu.be/5B3kHuysYtg

Contested catches on go routes aren't his issue. He tracks well. Dropping ez catches is his issue. Nuances of route running, catch technique, release, stem turns...

If he were good, AZ would have kept him. Articles are now coming out that AZ was ready to cut him a year ago when he got injured so they put him on IR. Big body, huge wingspan, enough speed but...issues as a WR.

Contested catches on go routes aren't his issue. He tracks well. Dropping ez catches is his issue. Nuances of route running, catch technique, release, stem turns...

If he were good, AZ would have kept him. Articles are now coming out that AZ was ready to cut him a year ago when he got injured so they put him on IR. Big body, huge wingspan, enough speed but...issues as a WR.

Sure checks some boxes we don’t have. And he’s precisely the guy we HAVENT targeted.

And our developmental record speaks for itself.

I vote to go full George Costanza mode here: due the polar opposite of your inclination.

Put him on PS and see what your coaching can bring out.

Sure checks some boxes we don’t have. And he’s precisely the guy we HAVENT targeted.

And our developmental record speaks for itself.

I vote to go full George Costanza mode here: due the polar opposite of your inclination.

Put him on PS and see what your coaching can bring out.

You mean to coach him up as we did with CPatterson?

Does keeping only 2 LBs mean BB has decided to replace the base D, played only 20% of the time, with the nickel as the new base?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Or has EDGE finally replaced the old-timer's term "OLB" which is now a thing of the past? Possibly. Wait, could it mean BB has finally found 2 hybrid S/LBs who can play in the box to stop the run AND cover like a blanket? BB kept all 5 Safeties, you know.

Steve Belichick says there's a lot of crossover between the Pats linebackers and safeties. Mentions that Chung, DMac, and Brooks have played in linebacker spots in the past and he works with Jerod Mayo to coach those guys up on those roles.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

CPatt was an awesome Patriot. Did whatever was asked of him. Was sad to see him go.

Yeah, me too, but he didn't play WR much.

Back