Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Prefer Robinson, but give the Pats either. Cam needs more receiving weapons so he doesn't take a huge pounding running the ball all season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Media & TV experts are saying the offense is not sustainable for entire season. Cap Space is not a issue . The pats have been burned by head case WRs .

So he's activated from PS for game 1? Signed to 53 2 days later. So do they dodge the mandatory full years pay? Is that what Bill just did?

Cheers

Depends on the contract's wording, doesn't it?
I mean, you're the lawyer here after all.

:shrug_n:

Media & TV experts are saying the offense is not sustainable for entire season. Cap Space is not a issue . I do want to see them . Get more players involved in Passing game .

Hogwash! I only saw 1 good hit to Cam during the game, tbh. Although I do expect that once the threat of the run is established, Cam will hand off and pass more. His throwing motion has improved with better footwork, I noticed.

I'll take either OBJ or Allan Robinson. Neither will be a problem here. OBJ has looked longingly for several years to join BB and the Pats. I'm not worried about him at all. Both are great talents.

Hogwash! I only saw 1 good hit to Cam during the game, tbh. Although I do expect that once the threat of the run is established, Cam will hand off and pass more. His throwing motion has improved with better footwork, I noticed.

I'll take either OBJ or Allan Robinson. Neither will be a problem here. OBJ has looked longingly for several years to join BB and the Pats. I'm not worried about him at all. Both are great talents.

Cam also slid on one run before the inevitable hit came. Josh and Bill will be imploring him to do that.

And check the below out. Mobility is NOT an issue here, his health is good so far.

Story: Per @NextGenStats, Cam Newton was clocked at 19.2 mph on his 11-yard TD run, which is his fastest TD run in the past 5 seasons. Newton's mobility was a top storyline in Week 1, but how much will it continue? Thoughts from Josh McDaniels and more:

To get OBJ BB going to have do something . He never really done as HC. Give up a lot for a player . He would be a great addition to team. McDaniels had Thomas . When he wanted to run Tebow style offense in Denver

BB only gave up a 4th rnd pick for Moss but he gave up a 2nd for Sanu who is not nearly as good as either OBJ or Robinson.

In my mind, that makes a 1st for OBJ or Robinson a possibility if BB thinks the $14M/ is reasonable. Back in '08, BB paid Moss over $10M so there's that. Neither WR is Moss but inflation, higher cap, etc...

Judging by his previous comments about the Patriots and his love for Cam; OBJ would be willing to come here on a less than market deal I'd wager.

Judging by his previous comments about the Patriots and his love for Cam; OBJ would be willing to come here on a less than market deal I'd wager.

To Get hin BB will have to do something he never done before. Give up a lot for a player. The most he has giving up is a 1st & a lower round pick for Cooks

So he's activated from PS for game 1? Signed to 53 2 days later. So do they dodge the mandatory full years pay? Is that what Bill just did?

Cheers

Folk hero...

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

BB only gave up a 4th rnd pick for Moss but he gave up a 2nd for Sanu who is not nearly as good as either OBJ or Robinson.

In my mind, that makes a 1st for OBJ or Robinson a possibility if BB thinks the $14M/ is reasonable. Back in '08, BB paid Moss over $10M so there's that. Neither WR is Moss but inflation, higher cap, etc...

Sanu just signed with the 69ers. :coffee:

OBJ's contract is for 4 years, through the 2023 season. Approx $15M/ but none is guaranteed after this year.

Cam Newton's leadership skills in his presser today.

Jeff Howe@jeffphowe
Cam Newton is really throwing his support behind N'Keal Harry, vouched for a catch of an inaccurate throw, two other contested catches, good run blocking.
"When you put things into perspective and you call a spade a spade, (the fumble) was just one mistake."

Cam Newton’s second offensive snap with the Patriots, the "Go Go" offense, was more than a decade in the making. Malzahn used it years ago at Tulsa and then at Auburn for Cam's run for a national championship. But he's not the architect; that's Brennan Marion and it's way more than the usual RPO or triple option because it adds the west coast passing game and up-tempo schemes to keep defenses on their heels
I think we may see more of it going forward. It's a tough offense to defend.

Football Outsiders has the back story on the "Go Go" offense. There's a lot to digest here with all the formations and videos that make it work:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/gog...cheme-analysis

“People say [my] offense is a spread offense,” Marion said. “It’s not even close to the spread in my mind. It’s a pro-style, triple-option offense. That’s what we’re trying to do. A true West Coast passing game, a triple-option run game and with the up-tempo principles of Coach Malzahn.”

Jeff Howe also has an article about this offense on theAthletic today.
https://theathletic.com/2074349/2020...rennan-marion/

Brennan Marion is the architect behind the play — part of his “Go Go” offense — which went down as a 10-yard quarterback run for Newton but meant so much more than that.

And as Marion can attest, the Patriots can do so much more with that concept if they choose to keep it in their rotation, which would make sense for a coordinator as creative as Josh McDaniels.
“Seeing that formation is always good because that was something where obviously I got my name in coaching,” said Marion, now the wide receivers coach at Hawaii. “So it was really cool to see them use him in a way that made him successful. That’s obviously what made Cam Newton a star back at Auburn and obviously with the Panthers when he was healthy. It’s cool to see coach (Bill) Belichick adapt and adjust. That’s what makes him the best.”
On second-and-4, Newton lined up in the shotgun with Rex Burkhead to his left and James White behind left tackle Isaiah Wynn. White motioned right, which drew Dolphins cornerback Jamal Perry with him, and Newton took the snap with a read-option concept with Burkhead. Newton faked the handoff to Burkhead — causing linebacker Kyle Van Noy to follow the running back — then tucked the ball for a keeper up the middle. Newton moved the chains behind his offensive line’s solid blocking, but Van Noy’s quick recovery actually prevented an even greater gain as he slowed Newton from a one-on-one situation against Dolphins safety Bobby McCain.
It was the only time the Patriots used that formation — Newton in the shotgun with two running backs next to each other — but Marion developed an entire offensive system out of the concept. It’s barely reached the NCAA FBS or the NFL, so an innovative team could deploy Marion’s design to yield an immense headache for opposing defenses, not unlike the league’s slow recovery when faced with the wildcat formation in the late 2000s.
Marion’s “Go Go” offense essentially creates a triple-option scenario with a twist, so it puts the defense in a spot where it has to diagnose the play, correctly communicate assignments and react quickly enough to execute — all before the offense gains a full head of steam.
“It’s a three-headed monster, so both running backs in the backfield can get the football and the quarterback can run the ball,” Marion said. “So you can turn every play into a triple-option play … because you can give the ball to one back or you can pitch the ball to the other back or the quarterback can run the ball. That’s the thing that makes it unique and different from everybody else.

https://theathletic.com/2074349/2020...rennan-marion/

Onwenu was my favorite rookie draftee this year. Roadgraders like him don't grow on trees. He had a great 1st game. His first block was a pancake of Elandon Roberts!

Lazar talks about his part in the Dolphins game here

Onwenu, a sixth-round pick from the University of Michigan, was a surprise standout among New England’s rookie class in Week 1.
Despite only playing guard in college, the roughly 340-pound Onwenu played 16 snaps at right tackle and six more at tight end in an excellent performance, especially considering the circumstances.
Rookies had a month of practices with no preseason games to prepare for the regular season, but that didn’t stop Onwenu, who finished Sunday’s contest with a 75.4 overall grade from Pro Football Focus, best among rookie offensive linemen. In 16 snaps at right tackle, Onwenu only allowed one hurry and was dominant at times as a run-blocker.
“It was a great feeling. I mean, you know, it’s been a long time coming. You know, not knowing if we were going to have a season or what not. It was a great feeling to finally get out there,” the Pats rookie said reflecting on his pro debut.
“Personally, I did okay. There’s always room for improvement. So you know, watching the film, and watching the tape, you know, I’m always (looking) at my technique, there’s always stuff I can improve, whether it’s as an extra lineman or at right tackle,” Onwenu added.
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick had high praise for Onwenu as well, comparing his role as a swing tackle and sixth offensive lineman to former Pats left tackle Nate Solder.
Belichick said Solder’s rookie season serves as a blueprint for Onwenu, who, behind starting guards Shaq Mason and Joe Thuney, needs to find creative ways to get on the field. Solder, of course, was behind tackles Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer as a rookie in the 2011 season.
“Mike’s a very flexible player. I don’t think he’s played tackle since high school, but he played a number of positions for us in training camp – guard, tackle, we saw tight end there in the game yesterday,” Belichick said earlier this week.
“Mike’s earned playing time, and he’s been able to play different spots for us. Right now, our two guards are pretty established players, and they played well. If we can find a way to utilize our personnel productively, then we’ll try to do that.”
“Even though he doesn’t have a lot of experience there, he learns quickly and is able to utilize his skills to be productive,” Belichick concluded.
The Patriots are no strangers to finding productive offensive lineman late in the draft. Mason was a fourth-round selection, center David Andrews went undrafted, and former right tackle Marcus Cannon was a fifth-rounder for New England and all blossomed into starters.
However, it was a major surprise to see Onwenu, who was labeled slow-footed and heavy by draft experts, play at right tackle and as a sixth offensive lineman in jumbo sets rather than on the interior.
Onwenu focused on dropping from his college playing weight of nearly 380 pounds down to a slender 340 pounds now that he’s in the Patriots’ strength and conditioning program.
The weight loss is paying off as Onwenu showed some impressive explosiveness to mirror pass rushers and make climbs to the second level to combine with his immense play-strength.

Lots more at the link
https://www.clnsmedia.com/patriots-rookie-michael-onwenu-primed-for-big-role-in-run-heavy-offense/

Finally, N'Keal Harry played 26.3% of his snaps from the slot against Miami. He was perfect with 2 receptions in 2 targets.

Belichick: "Nick [Folk] is our kicker"

By PFF grade, Tom Brady is the third-best quarterback in the league (87.8).

Cam Newton is fifth-best (82.8).

Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Goff, Newton. Newton is a steal for the money.

by Devon Clements, SI

New England, who was ranked No. 8 in the SI power rankings last week, is listed at No. 9 this week, just behind the Pittsburgh Steelers (8) and right in front of Los Angeles Rams (9).
Here is what The MMQB's Connor Orr had to say about New England's ranking this week:
I stand by my previous week’s take that Cam Newton is a quintessential Patriot. They were one 50-50 play call away from beating one of the best teams in football and once again have two punching bags in the division to tune up twice a year. If Bill Belichick can swing a trade for another playmaker before the deadline, watch out.
The Patriots only dropped one spot this week because they lost to Seattle, who are ranked No. 1 in the power rankings for Week 3. The Sunday night game between the two teams came down to a goal line carry by Cam Newton with two seconds left that was stuffed behind the line of scrimmage.
Moral victories aren't taken too lightly in New England, but if there was every one, Week 2 for the Patriots qualifies as such. The six-time Super Bowl champions competed until the last second against one of the best teams in the NFL and against a quarterback in Russell Wilson that is an early MVP candidate. That counts for something.
So, although the Patriots are now 1-1, there's a lot to be happy about as the team gets set to face the 2-0 Las Vegas Raiders in Week 3 at Gillette Stadium.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/2020-week-3-si-power-rankings

Back