Looking at the Special Teams

I don't see how Slater can stick. He's can't compete at safety. He can make some plays as a WR but he can't really compete with the top of the unit as it stands now (Moss, Welk, Edelman, Tate, Price & Holt or Aiken for that matter). He's a special teams guy who isn't as good as either Arrington or Aiken on special teams.

Aiken is a special teams ace, a leader, and a big body who provides depth in a bunch of different ways. I don't see Slater competing with Aiken for a spot. I see Aiken competing with people like Holt, BGJE, Robinson etc. BB can really fool you with his roster make up from year to year because he tends to stash people in one spot and go short in another but there really is no where left to stash Slater that I can see unless injuries play a part down the road.

Agree. I don't see any way they get rid of Aiken to keep Slater. Aiken is a Horse! And when we were deplorable last year at WR who did they tab for the #3 role? Aiken. He's not great at WR, but clearly the staff thinks he's a better option than Slater.

Agree. I don't see any way they get rid of Aiken to keep Slater. Aiken is a Horse! And when we were deplorable last year at WR who did they tab for the #3 role? Aiken. He's not great at WR, but clearly the staff thinks he's a better option than Slater.

I've never felt Slater brought much to offer. He's not even that good a STer, and he offers nothing as a positional backup. Arrington and Aiken are in a different class altogether.

You guys just claimed one of the better ST players in the league when you stole Josh Barrett from Denver's IR.

Thinking about Wheatley & Wilhite, I find myself wondering what BB was thinking when he pulled the trigger on the Hobbs deal. Maybe it was about $$$$ as many decisions necessarily are.

BOR broke this trade down pretty well, IMO.

There seems to be several elements to the Hobbs trade, for me the key point is how NE used those two fifth round picks to get back into the fourth round and draft a G/C they liked. It was a straight roster/team building move.

Additional points:
- Salary cap room ($2.25M off the cap).
- Heading off possible lockerroom unrest if Hobbs lost his starting assignment to one of the new guys.
- Heading off post-season acrimony over Hobbs "RFA" status if 2010 remains uncapped. That would have delayed Hobbs chance for a big payday, given the way CB contracts have been running.
- It cleared the field for a six-way camp competition for two starting CB slots and one nickelback slot. Hobbs the incumbent is gone, the two rookies didn't have enough starts to grant them incumbent status, the two new veterans have to earn their wings the same as anyone else, even if they are likely to be penciled in as the first team.

I'll add another. He just overestimated what Wilhite and Wheatley could bring to the table. Both guys looked adequate at times as rookies, but neither made a leap and I'd guess BB thought he had decent odds that one would.

BOR broke this trade down pretty well, IMO.
I'll add another. He just overestimated what Wilhite and Wheatley could bring to the table. Both guys looked adequate at times as rookies, but neither made a leap and I'd guess BB thought he had decent odds that one would.

I suspect that Box's points were major advantages BB looked at with your point in mind making it a comfortable choice for him to make at the time.

Reiss looks a bit more at the Josh Barrett signing:

Safety Josh Barrett, who the Patriots claimed on waivers from the Denver Broncos, is a bigger safety (6-2, 225) who could project to a Tank Williams- or Brandon McGowan-type safety/linebacker hybrid role in 2011. McGowan is in the final year of his contract. On the surface, this looks like a move in which the Patriots were thinking ahead to '11.

Part of the reason the Broncos put Barrett on waivers with the intention of placing him on season-ending injured reserve – instead of waiting until Aug. 31 when they wouldn’t have risked having another team claim him -- was that they’ve had a run of injuries early in camp that has left them short-handed. While the Patriots were within the rules to claim Barrett, some in the NFL believe there is a protocol that makes such a move off limits, similar to raiding another team’s practice squad.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-e...681126/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-pats-23

I would tend to agree with Reiss about looking ahead to 2011. McGowan could be gone after this year, with Barrett taking the backup SS role as a ST upgrade from McGowan. It's also possible that McGowan could be traded this year with Brad Lockett taking over the 4th safety role, and Barrett and Lockett duking it out in 2011.

Barrett has great size (6'3" 225#) and phenomenal straight line speed (4.35 combine time), but he's got limited lateral mobility and agility in space. He could play the kind of role that BB envisioned for Tank Williams 2 years ago.

Devin McCourty. Good player. Good returner. Excellent news for Patriots.

NESN's Jeff Howe looks at Rob Ninkovich as the backup LS:

With the Pats trying to place as many serviceable bodies on the 53-man roster, a guy like Ninkovich -- who is a nice backup outside linebacker and has good special teams value -- can do more things than starting long snapper Jake Ingram. That, in essence, could cause head coach Bill Belichick to flirt with the idea of carrying Ninkovich over Ingram, which could help the Patriots carry an extra defensive lineman or linebacker. However, Ninkovich said his reps at long snapper have been for the purpose of keeping him fresh in case he's ever needed in an emergency, such as an injury to Ingram.

Ingram had a flawless rookie season in 2009, and it appears his job security is just fine. Yet, he and Ninkovich spend plenty of time discussing long snapping away from the field to make sure each one can experience a high level of success when their number is called.

"We're kind of similar," Ninkovich said. "We're not blind snappers, so we look where we're throwing the ball, so we have a similar style. I've been doing it so long that he'll show me something on his hand placement if the ball is wet, use a seem. There's certain things. Field goal, give the laces, rotate the ball a bit differently. It's something we talk about. We're pretty good friends, so on and off the field, we talk about snapping all the time."

http://www.nesn.com/2010/08/rob-ninkovich-gives-patriots-versatile-option-at-long-snapper.html

Pats reach a 4 year extension with Ghost, per Reiss. Details to follow.

Back