Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Question: Which QB had the highest vertical jump? Mac Jones, Mahomes, Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen?
Question 2: Same group plus add Aaron Rodgers - who had the best 40 time?

Answer to both questions: Mac Jones.

Just because Mac doesn't run much doesn't mean he can't. I think you may need a reset if you think Mac Jones is not athletic.

Josh Allen has been in the league for 3 years and had 1 good year. His first 2 years were poor.
His QBRs are 50, 50 and 82. He could improve this year or he could regress. Time will tell.

For those reasons he doesn't belong in the same group as Rodgers or Wilson right now.

The Pats' 2019 SB win over the Rams proves you can play football like that and win in today's NFL. 13-3.
I would take Allen as my QB in a heartbeat.

The Rams SB is the ultimate outlier.

KC was held to 3 fg 6 months ago.
And Tampa put up 31. Could have been 40+ if they didn't take their foot off the pedal in the third quarter.

Scoring has been way up in the NFL the last several seasons. Record setting scoring. That is today's NFL. Does not mean teams can't have good/great defenses performances too but it is not the norm anymore.

So I guess you don't NEED the explosive offense after all. Make up my mind for me will you.
Tampa put up 30+ points in every single playoff game. That was an NFL record. 2 of those games were won by ONE score and the Saints game by 10. The SB was the exception. You need to score to win in today's NFL.

More recent examples include Seattle limiting Peyton Manning and the Broncos to one touchdown in Super Bowl XLVIII, and the Broncos containment of MVP Cam Newton in Super Bowl 50. And in his final Super Bowl as a Patriot, Tom Brady watched his defense hold the Rams to a mere three points.
You are citing SBs which are always ridiculously hard games to predict because the 2 best teams in each conference are going at it.

As I stated above, look at scoring across the league in the regular season. It is way, way up the last several seasons. Record setting.

Why?

Because the rules have changed so much to favor the offense and as a result offenses are being built to be dynamic with playmakers all over the field to score. This does not mean there will not be defensive battles from time to time or a high flying offense can't be muted, but it is not the norm anymore.

Look at the Bears last year or the Rams? They had great, great defenses but duds at QB. The defense got them to the playoffs and then both were beaten by teams with better QBs but worse defenses.

You are citing SBs which are always ridiculously hard games to predict because the 2 best teams in each conference are going at it.

As I stated above, look at scoring across the league in the regular season. It is way, way up the last several seasons. Record setting.

Why?

Because the rules have changed so much to favor the offense and as a result offenses are being built to be dynamic with playmakers all over the field to score. This does not mean there will not be defensive battles from time to time or a high flying offense can't be muted, but it is not the norm anymore.

Look at the Bears last year or the Rams? They had great, great defenses but duds at QB. The defense got them to the playoffs and then both were beaten by teams with better QBs but worse defenses.
both of those teams were bottom 1/3 in turnover ratio also. My contention all along is ball control and strong defense. Qb is to not lose the game, not necessarily win the game. If the offense does not turn the ball over they have a good opportunity to win every game. You obviously need some offense to win, but not a highlight reel offense. If the offense needs to score 35 points every game they will not only lose a super bowl, they will not be playing in the super bowl.

both of those teams were bottom 1/3 in turnover ratio also. My contention all along is ball control and strong defense. Qb is to not lose the game, not necessarily win the game. If the offense does not turn the ball over they have a good opportunity to win every game. You obviously need some offense to win, but not a highlight reel offense. If the offense needs to score 35 points every game they will not only lose a super bowl, they will not be playing in the super bowl.
I agree with this in an ideal world. I mean that is really the goal of every team. It is insanely difficult to do because you cannot build a team with the cap to be great at everything. I will admit that Bill's approach of a mid-tier team where you don't have super stars but solid players from 1-53 has been successful but much of that was because Brady was there to cover the weak spots or to score 30+ points if the other teams QB went off.

Also, I am not arguing for a highlight reel offense. I am talking more about the offensive approach of having playmakers, legit tier 1 guys who not only make the offense insanely difficult to defend but get chunk plays. That is kind of what today's NFL is right now. I mean look at the AFC with the Bills, Chiefs, Browns, Titans and even the Ravens who put up a lot of points per game. These are the types of offenses that are common now and why I desperately want us to sign Gilmore. We are going to struggle mightily vs these offenses without him as secondary is not elite. We are not the Bears or the Rams or the Bucs. Cam or Mac is going to have to put up points for us to beat the upper echelon teams in the AFC.

He is not saying you don't need a great QB. He is talking more about the approach of the team to win games.

Well, playing within the game and not making mistakes is the main key. The thing is, Brady make that look so easy for so many years. There was a poster years ago, I forget who, who used to say he valued game managers greatly. But he defined it as a QB that makes the plays to win when they need to be made. This is insanely difficult.

Most QBs press when they are behind or force plays that are not there. Really great QBs have a tough time with being patient because their talent dictates that they should always make the play. Mahomes falls victim to that a lot. He even admitted as much when he talked about the SB last year and what he saw about his own game. He said I have to play in the pocket more and be more efficient. Again, easier said then done but that is the goal. As Bill says and he is right, most NFL games are lost not won.

2013 Denver Broncos Offense:
Peyton Manning: 5,477 yards, 55TD, 10 INT
D. Thomas: 92 rec, 1,430 yards, 14 TD
E. Decker: 87 rec, 1,288 yards, 11 TD
J. Thomas: 65 rec, 788 yards, 12 TD
W. Welker: 73 rec, 778 yards, 10 TD

The most touchdowns ever The best ever.

The 2013 Denver Broncos would score a big chunk of the 664 points against the NFC East. The Broncos scored 52 points on the Philadelphia Eagles, 51 points against the Dallas Cowboys, 45 points against Washington, and 41 points against the New York Giants. Denver scored a total of 189 points alone against the NFC East opponents.

The other big games were against the Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens. The Broncos would rack up 100 points against the two teams. This high powered offense would score 50 points in their two NFL Playoff games.

Then came the Super Bowl
Seattle beat the Broncos 43-8 in the Super Bowl.

The folllowing year

The American Football Conference (AFC) champions New England Patriots defeated the National Football Conference (NFC) champions and defending Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks 28–24 to earn their fourth Super Bowl

This is what we’re talking about

~Dee~

Last edited:
Back