Mac Jones Is Our QB1

View attachment 13298
A couple notes:

- Based on his NextGen passing chart, Mac Jones is good at SHORT passes within 10 yards or at the line of scrimmage. Also ok on intermediate throws wide left or wide right but not in the middle. And not good on throws over 20 yards. So give Mac a lot of short and intermediate throws, play action, screens, slants, and cut out the chuck it deep sh-t playcalls.

- I went back to the game logs and Mac threw a concerning 7 picks in his last 5 games in 2021, from Dec18 onward. I don’t know if something changed but Mac being a turnover machine has been going on since Dec18th of last season. This year it’s gotten worse. Mac Jones is a significantly worse quarterback when he chases deep 20+ yard throws.

This is a good example of how analytics can really help.

Jacobi Meyers not pleased with the fans booing Mac before the game and cheering when Mac got benched (pathetic by the fans). Meyers is right. Watch him land in Fat Matt’s doghouse now for very valid comments…

View: https://twitter.com/_AndrewCallahan/status/1584769653905100802?s=20&t=K-uvpPaHtsLA3lI5StwpOQ

Meyers is right and it's sad to see. What can't be ignored is how the team responded so well to Zappe coming in. It was surprisingly obvious to me.
BB has a tricky situation on his hands.
He has an out for pulling Mac by saying he was concerned for Mac's health bc of all the runs by Mac when protection was breaking down. I doubt BB will point to Mac's int as the reason.
Competition is good but controversy is horrid.

At the end of the day, it's football. It's a production business. The offense was listless under Mac. I do wonder how practice went and what Bill observed because it was obvious the team ignited under Zappe when he came in. I get what Meyers is saying but every position on this team is about who is the best player for the team. That has always been Bill's mantra and always will be. I am looking forward to his press conference later today. What a week he has on his hands with the Jete's coming up in New York.

At the end of the day, it's football. It's a production business. The offense was listless under Mac. I do wonder how practice went and what Bill observed because it was obvious the team ignited under Zappe when he came in. I get what Meyers is saying but every position on this team is about who is the best player for the team. That has always been Bill's mantra and always will be. I am looking forward to his press conference later today. What a week he has on his hands with the Jete's coming up in New York.
Yeah what a great last 3 quarters by zappe and the offense

Yeah what a great last 3 quarters by zappe and the offense
The Bears adjusted, credit to them. I do think it would have made a difference had Zappe been prepped for this game all week instead of coming in cold. I'd feel much better with him going against the Jete with a full week of practice than Mac.

The Bears adjusted, credit to them. I do think it would have made a difference had Zappe been prepped for this game all week instead of coming in cold. I'd feel much better with him going against the Jete with a full week of practice than Mac.
I see, He was only prepared to come of the bench and run 3 good plays....Gotcha

Zappe was a great spark plug when he came in, but after all things settled he was mostly ineffective. That is unless Patricia's game plan was to keep checking it down to the work horse back, then it went just as planned.

The most concerning thing to me were the frequent passes batted down. Zappe basically would get swallowed up by a muddy pocket, and it resulted in picks, hesitation, underthrows and a ton of batted down balls. That basically becomes a huge point of emphasis for teams going against the Pats if Zappe stays.

I'd like to think Mac is still getting the nod against the Jets. Zappe looked like his preseason form, which was not good.

He scored 14 points in 4 minutes and got the lead. It was pretty fantastic but the Bears adjusted and of course the D blew forcing the O to play from behind.

Zappe was a great spark plug when he came in, but after all things settled he was mostly ineffective. That is unless Patricia's game plan was to keep checking it down to the work horse back, then it went just as planned.

The most concerning thing to me were the frequent passes batted down. Zappe basically would get swallowed up by a muddy pocket, and it resulted in picks, hesitation, underthrows and a ton of batted down balls.

I'd like to think Mac is still getting the nod against the Jets. Zappe looked like his preseason form, which was not good.
You may be right but I would like to see Zappe get a full week of prep like he did the last 2 games. It is insanely difficult to come in cold with no first team reps.

Here’s a different perspective: Jones got first team reps all week in practice and a game-plan that assumed he’d be playing. Zappe came in midway through the game and still performed despite those circumstances.

Here’s a different perspective: Jones got first team reps all week in practice and a game-plan that assumed he’d be playing. Zappe came in midway through the game and still performed despite those circumstances.
he came in a made a couple plays, then he dumped down to Stevenson the rest of the game and allowed the Bears Dline to play volleyball, lets not forget 3 turn overs. you all want zappe and thats fine, but when it doesn't work there is no going back to Mac. there is nothing good coming from this. You guys are so blind to Bledose/Brady and this is completely different

he came in a made a couple plays, then he dumped down to Stevenson the rest of the game and allowed the Bears Dline to play volleyball, lets not forget 3 turn overs. you all want zappe and thats fine, but when it doesn't work there is no going back to Mac. there is nothing good coming from this. You guys are so blind to Bledose/Brady and this is completely different

Nobody is blind to anything. The facts are Mac started this season poorly, that first drive in Miami, he started well but then forced that pass to Parker in the EZ and it eas intercepted. And he then in the next few games made bad errors and a lot of turnovers. He was also quite poor in the final stretch last season.

There's no point in doing an Ostrich here. Mac needs a lot of work IMHO. Zappe did what was asked when he had to step up after Mac and Hoyer went down. Yesterday didn't finish great, but our defense was appalling.

Their defense is pretty good, they are Number 3 in the league on pass defense.

I gotta say, at this stage, I'm leaning Zappe and think he should start going forward. Lets work on Mac and try and get him good QB poaching. Something is off with his game, mentally especially.

Last edited:
I do agree that this is a tough situation. Bill misplayed last night as bad as a coach could ... but that does not mean Zappe has not looked better at running this offense than Mac despite the second half.

Nobody is bling to anything. The facts are Mac started this season poorly, that first drive in Miami, he started well but then forced that pass to Parker in the EZ and it eas intercepted. And he then in the next few games made bad errors and a lot of turnovers. He was also quite poor in the final stretch last season.

There's no point in doing an Ostrich here. Mac needs a lot of work IMHO. Zappe did what was asked when he had to step up after Mac and Hoyer went down. Yesterday didn't finish great, but our defense was appalling.

Their defense is pretty good, they are Number 3 in the league on pass defense.

I gotta say, at this stage, I'm leaning Zappe and think he should start going forward. Lets work on Mac and try and get him good QB poaching. Something is off with his game, mentally especially
Mac is toast in NE. He was ruined for many reasons out of his control. Might as well play zappe, lose the rest of the games and draft another one. We are now what the jets and bills had been for 25 years.

Mac is toast in NE. He was ruined for many reasons out of his control. Might as well play zappe, lose the rest of the games and draft another one. We are now what the jets and bills had been for 25 years.

Come on.....let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here...

Mac's issues are mental IMHO. It can be fixed.

Come on.....let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here...

Mac's issues are mental IMHO. It can be fixed.
I agree. What do you think is causing it? I keep going back to the coaches - Judge and Patricia - as he has looked frustrated since TC.

Back