Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Could you imagine having a Steve young and Joe Montana after Tom Brady? The Hatriots would be hated on an epic level. Guarantee the suicide rate would jump in NY BALTIMORE PITT AND FLORIDA.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I think Zappe is better than Cassel. Cassel didnā€™t even start in collegeā€¦. Western Kentucky is a major step up from drafting a backup college QB

And footwork. An underrated aspect of QBing, both Mac & Zappe have outstanding footwork for so early in their careers. I know Saban is a huge footwork, "small-things-are-big-things" guy, but I have no idea about the coach of Western Kentucky. I do know that Zappe's footwork was a bit clumsy and rushed/not rhythmic in the preseason, and looks crisp as hell now - quick but not rushed, and predictably rhythmic.
Yes, it seems Belichick's putting a premium on players he deems coachable is paying off again....

Joe Judge spoke glowingly about Mac this am

FfXfP1nWIAIJ4M2

Might need to change this thread title soon ā€¦

Hold your horses, girlfriend. Soon may not happen. If it does we can easily use the Zappe thread already created.

Seems like there is a post missing.

#3589 --> #3591

From Doug Kyed. I chuckled as I began reading

MAC JONES GETTING CLOSER TO FULL HEALTH

Jones has missed the New England Patriotsā€™ last three games due to a high ankle sprain, but one source close to the situation put his health at 85-to-90% as of Tuesday afternoon. Jones suffered the injury at the end of Week 3, and his timeline for recovery was expected to take six weeks. The Patriots will get an extra day of rest before taking on the Chicago Bears at Gillette Stadium on Monday night in Week 7. Ultimately, the decision on Jones' availability for Monday will continue to come from the teamā€™s medical staff. Jones has been open to playing through injury.

The Patriots are 2-1 in Jonesā€™ absence. They lost a Week 4 matchup against the Green Bay Packers in which Brian Hoyer started but suffered a concussion early in the game. Rookie Bailey Zappe relieved Hoyer and took the game to overtime, but some conservative decisions by New England came back to bite the team in the loss.

Zappe has gone on to win his two starts against the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns, and head coach Bill Belichick hasnā€™t disclosed whether Jones will regain his job when fully healthy.

As one source described the approach, whether or not Belichick is actually serious that Zappe could continue to start when Jones is fully ready, it would be best for Jones to interpret it that way.

ā€œCompetition is a good thing.ā€

And no, Belichick isnā€™t doing this because Jones is getting big-headed or ā€œneeds to be humbled,ā€ as The Boston Globeā€™s Ben Volin surmised Monday. Jones is a confident player, but there's no concern about his level of commitment. Jones eats and (barely) sleeps football.

However, it has been interesting to see the Patriotsā€™ offense shift under Zappe. As I wrote in Tuesdayā€™s ā€œbuy or sellā€ piece, New England is leaning much more on play action, screens and short passes with Zappe at quarterback, and thatā€™s led to both fewer big-time throws and turnover-worthy plays from the rookie.

The Patriots installed elements of a new scheme this summer under the leadership of Belichick, offensive line coach Matt Patricia and quarterbacks coach Joe Judge, and New England ran it with Jones at QB through the first three weeks of the season. Then when Jones went down with his ankle injury, they went back to a simplified version of their offense with Zappe and found success. New England ranks third in EPA per play over the last two weeks. They were 22nd in Jones' three starts.

A source indicated that Jones would welcome a middle ground between the aggressive approach New England was using with him at quarterback and the safer and more efficient plays Zappe has been running. More play action, in particular, would benefit Jones. In Sundayā€™s win over the Browns, it was interesting to see the Patriots use play action to get their two tight ends involved. Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith combined for two catches on three targets for 84 yards with a touchdown using play action.

For Zappe, as I wrote in Tuesdayā€™s column, one high-ranking AFC personnel executive believes New England will eventually be able to fetch a draft pick in a trade for the 2022 fourth-round pick. One reason why? Heā€™s proven that heā€™s not simply a one-game wonder. It was significant to see Zappe not only continuing to play well in Week 6 but also significantly improving. He also was able to spread the ball around in New Englandā€™s offense on Sunday.

The Patriots traded quarterback Jacoby Brissett to the Indianapolis Colts for wide receiver Phillip Dorsett before the 2017 season, which was just Brissettā€™s second year in the NFL. Itā€™s possible the Patriots could take a similar approach if they elect to trade Zappe, but it was a slightly different situation. Brissett hadnā€™t played as well as Zappe as a rookie in 2016 and struggled during training camp the following summer. Zappe could be a cheap and effective backup for Jones through the 2025 season.

Itā€™s interesting to look back at the trade that netted New England Zappe during the 2022 NFL Draft. The Carolina Panthers traded up from No. 137 overall using a 2023 third-round pick in a deal with the Patriots for the 94th overall pick. Carolina wound up selecting quarterback Matt Corral, whoā€™s now out for the season with a foot injury, out of Ole Miss at No. 94 overall.

The Patriots stayed put at No. 137 and selected Zappe. The third-round pick that New England received in the deal is currently the 64th overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.

What a steal.

Itā€™s interesting to look back at the trade that netted New England Zappe during the 2022 NFL Draft. The Carolina Panthers traded up from No. 137 overall using a 2023 third-round pick in a deal with the Patriots for the 94th overall pick. Carolina wound up selecting quarterback Matt Corral, whoā€™s now out for the season with a foot injury, out of Ole Miss at No. 94 overall.

The Patriots stayed put at No. 137 and selected Zappe. The third-round pick that New England received in the deal is currently the 64th overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.

What a steal.

:dancingcucumber::dancingcucumber::dancingcucumber::dancingcucumber::dancingcucumber::dancingcucumber:

From Doug Kyed. I chuckled as I began reading

MAC JONES GETTING CLOSER TO FULL HEALTH

Jones has missed the New England Patriotsā€™ last three games due to a high ankle sprain, but one source close to the situation put his health at 85-to-90% as of Tuesday afternoon. Jones suffered the injury at the end of Week 3, and his timeline for recovery was expected to take six weeks. The Patriots will get an extra day of rest before taking on the Chicago Bears at Gillette Stadium on Monday night in Week 7. Ultimately, the decision on Jones' availability for Monday will continue to come from the teamā€™s medical staff. Jones has been open to playing through injury.

The Patriots are 2-1 in Jonesā€™ absence. They lost a Week 4 matchup against the Green Bay Packers in which Brian Hoyer started but suffered a concussion early in the game. Rookie Bailey Zappe relieved Hoyer and took the game to overtime, but some conservative decisions by New England came back to bite the team in the loss.

Zappe has gone on to win his two starts against the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns, and head coach Bill Belichick hasnā€™t disclosed whether Jones will regain his job when fully healthy.

As one source described the approach, whether or not Belichick is actually serious that Zappe could continue to start when Jones is fully ready, it would be best for Jones to interpret it that way.

ā€œCompetition is a good thing.ā€

And no, Belichick isnā€™t doing this because Jones is getting big-headed or ā€œneeds to be humbled,ā€ as The Boston Globeā€™s Ben Volin surmised Monday. Jones is a confident player, but there's no concern about his level of commitment. Jones eats and (barely) sleeps football.

However, it has been interesting to see the Patriotsā€™ offense shift under Zappe. As I wrote in Tuesdayā€™s ā€œbuy or sellā€ piece, New England is leaning much more on play action, screens and short passes with Zappe at quarterback, and thatā€™s led to both fewer big-time throws and turnover-worthy plays from the rookie.

The Patriots installed elements of a new scheme this summer under the leadership of Belichick, offensive line coach Matt Patricia and quarterbacks coach Joe Judge, and New England ran it with Jones at QB through the first three weeks of the season. Then when Jones went down with his ankle injury, they went back to a simplified version of their offense with Zappe and found success. New England ranks third in EPA per play over the last two weeks. They were 22nd in Jones' three starts.

A source indicated that Jones would welcome a middle ground between the aggressive approach New England was using with him at quarterback and the safer and more efficient plays Zappe has been running. More play action, in particular, would benefit Jones. In Sundayā€™s win over the Browns, it was interesting to see the Patriots use play action to get their two tight ends involved. Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith combined for two catches on three targets for 84 yards with a touchdown using play action.

For Zappe, as I wrote in Tuesdayā€™s column, one high-ranking AFC personnel executive believes New England will eventually be able to fetch a draft pick in a trade for the 2022 fourth-round pick. One reason why? Heā€™s proven that heā€™s not simply a one-game wonder. It was significant to see Zappe not only continuing to play well in Week 6 but also significantly improving. He also was able to spread the ball around in New Englandā€™s offense on Sunday.

The Patriots traded quarterback Jacoby Brissett to the Indianapolis Colts for wide receiver Phillip Dorsett before the 2017 season, which was just Brissettā€™s second year in the NFL. Itā€™s possible the Patriots could take a similar approach if they elect to trade Zappe, but it was a slightly different situation. Brissett hadnā€™t played as well as Zappe as a rookie in 2016 and struggled during training camp the following summer. Zappe could be a cheap and effective backup for Jones through the 2025 season.

What a steal.

Panthers are currently 1-5, so for the 94th pick in the 2022 draft, we end up with Baily Zappe and roughly the 70th pick in the 2023 draft.

I have Mazz on ignore, so I can only guess that she is currently signing the praises of Bill Belichick for his genius, and given that she bashed his brains out a couple years ago for not having a capable backup to Brady after trading Jimmy G, she must be lavishing him with kudos for having two NFL-starting-quality players under his control for the next 4 seasons!

Panthers are currently 1-5, so for the 94th pick in the 2022 draft, we end up with Baily Zappe and roughly the 70th pick in the 2023 draft.

I have Mazz on ignore, so I can only guess that she is currently signing the praises of Bill Belichick for his genius, and given that she bashed his brains out a couple years ago for not having a capable backup to Brady after trading Jimmy G, she must be lavishing him with kudos for having two NFL-starting-quality players under his control for the next 4 seasons!

You nailed it.

. :coffee:

Last edited:
Back