Manning called BB as well as Tom to tell them he was retiring

Roberto71

Reaction score
We know Tom was one of the first people Manning called to say he was retiring, but he also called BB. He said they had a good conversation and Bill said on Sunday that their relationship was very special.

I know we've given Manning stick here and there are a lot of justified questions to ask on the two main issues, but clearly the respect and friendship is there between Manning and the our two main guys in the Pats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- An hour or so after he had told the world his pro football career was over -- as he started to wind down from an emotional, sometimes gut-wrenching, sometimes euphoric retirement event that was a combination of media conference and career celebration -- Peyton Manning was working through the long list of people he had tried to call or text in recent days.

...blah, blah, Kubiak, etc., blah, blay...

Among the most prominent on the list were New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick -- "We had a good conversation" -- and the guy Manning said was among the most important calls, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Brady and Manning are the two greatest quarterbacks of this football generation and two of the best to ever grace an NFL roster. They are two of the biggest protagonists in some of the most polarizing who's-the-best discussions that can fill the phone lines in any month of the football year. They are kindred spirits in dealing with the fame, expectations, scrutiny, pressure and all-encompassing, always-on nature that comes with the job.

In his prepared remarks during his retirement ceremony, Manning went as far as to say that among the things he would miss about pro football is "that handshake with Tom Brady."

Manning said that the during his talk with Brady, the Patriots quarterback told Manning he had made it a point every Monday to watch Manning's game from the Sunday before. Brady has even seen the games Manning played in 1998 and 1999 -- the two seasons before Brady was a sixth-round pick by the Patriots. Brady watched with the quarterback-to-quarterback eye for detail and kept notes, even as he became a quarterback to study on the way to four Super Bowl wins.

Manning said Monday that he enjoyed talking to Brady about it all and he will miss facing Brady and Belichick, even though some of Manning's most difficult losses came at the hands of the Patriots, with Brady under center and Belichick on the sideline.

...blah, blah, Archie, blah, blah...

"I've just always enjoyed being part of the fraternity of quarterbacks … and facing Tom and coach Belichick," Manning said. "I wanted to call them, to hear it from me and let them know I appreciated all of those battles."

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bron...nt-calls-peyton-manning-made-was-to-tom-brady

I hate to admit it but I'm going to miss Manning - love him or loathe him, and I'm closer to loathe - he's one of the few QBs who could actually win you the game on his own. I hated all the media attention, the ballwashing, the we're not worthy that follows him about, and 99 times out of 100 I'd take Tom Brady over Manning, but when you look about the NFL you see Brady, who can carry the team on his back if he has to, Rothlisberger who, while not in the same class as Tom, has that ability to grind out wins, Aaron Rogers, very very disappointing this season and big question marks about whether he has it in him when it gets tough (bit like Manning really), Flacco can do it occasionally, Cam Newton, I'm not a fan, nor of Russell Wilson (though I'd take him as a successor to Brady), and who else is there?

Sorry to be a little bit long-winded but just wanted to make the point that even though I have a general dislike for Manning I will miss what he brought to the game, maybe not in the last couple of years, but certainly since the Pats have been in the conversation Manning has been the one thorn in the side (and possibly to be ungracious but I'll miss the fact that we've generally had the better of this Lincoln/Gandhi/Mother Theresa/aw shucks type guy/best there ever was (NOT)).

I hate to admit it but I'm going to miss Manning - love him or loathe him, and I'm closer to loathe - he's one of the few QBs who could actually win you the game on his own. I hated all the media attention, the ballwashing, the we're not worthy that follows him about, and 99 times out of 100 I'd take Tom Brady over Manning, but when you look about the NFL you see Brady, who can carry the team on his back if he has to, Rothlisberger who, while not in the same class as Tom, has that ability to grind out wins, Aaron Rogers, very very disappointing this season and big question marks about whether he has it in him when it gets tough (bit like Manning really), Flacco can do it occasionally, Cam Newton, I'm not a fan, nor of Russell Wilson (though I'd take him as a successor to Brady), and who else is there?

Sorry to be a little bit long-winded but just wanted to make the point that even though I have a general dislike for Manning I will miss what he brought to the game, maybe not in the last couple of years, but certainly since the Pats have been in the conversation Manning has been the one thorn in the side (and possibly to be ungracious but I'll miss the fact that we've generally had the better of this Lincoln/Gandhi/Mother Theresa/aw shucks type guy/best there ever was (NOT)).

I will miss the fact that he was the perfect loser to Brady's winner. Pey Pey was the stat guy, star wars guy whereas Brady was the winner, the champion. The contrast has been great the last 15 years and I am not sure Brady's career would have the same luster without Pey Pey as his whipping boy.

But to be honest, I am looking forward to Brady having this league ALL to his own this season. No more Brady/Manninhgh rivalry lines that were so over done these past few seasons. Now it is JUST Brady and his quest against history to be the first QB with 5 rings. Get your popcorn ready! :patriotlogo:

But to be honest, I am looking forward to Brady having this league ALL to his own this season. No more Brady/Manninhgh rivalry lines that were so over done these past few seasons. Now it is JUST Brady and his quest against history to be the first QB with 5 rings. Get your popcorn ready! :patriotlogo:

I wish you were right, but it seems he doesn't have things "all to his own". I liked it better when PeyPey was Brady's nemesis, but now he has the shadowy enemy of Goodell/NFL. I posted this article in the DG thread, as well. Goodell has been all too effective in turning the US against Brady and company. Here's hoping Tommy can overcome. A court victory would certainly help.

A scientific survey of American opinion on Deflategate, conducted for Yahoo Sports, found that just 16.3 percent of Americans said they believe Brady and the Patriots when they say they did not intentionally deflate footballs in the AFC Championship Game last year. A plurality, 43.4 percent, said they don’t know who to believe, while 40.3 percent said they believe the NFL’s findings that Brady cheated.

In the New England area, those answers are very different: 58 percent believe the Patriots, just 18.7 percent believe the NFL, and 23.3 percent don’t know.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...w-americans-believe-tom-brady-on-deflategate/

I wish you were right, but it seems he doesn't have things "all to his own". I liked it better when PeyPey was Brady's nemesis, but now he has the shadowy enemy of Goodell/NFL. I posted this article in the DG thread, as well. Goodell has been all too effective in turning the US against Brady and company. Here's hoping Tommy can overcome. A court victory would certainly help.

A scientific survey of American opinion on Deflategate, conducted for Yahoo Sports, found that just 16.3 percent of Americans said they believe Brady and the Patriots when they say they did not intentionally deflate footballs in the AFC Championship Game last year. A plurality, 43.4 percent, said they don’t know who to believe, while 40.3 percent said they believe the NFL’s findings that Brady cheated.

In the New England area, those answers are very different: 58 percent believe the Patriots, just 18.7 percent believe the NFL, and 23.3 percent don’t know.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...w-americans-believe-tom-brady-on-deflategate/

Again, I don't see this as reflective of the league but more of 31 other jealous fanbases that would believe anything negative about the Pats. We have seen it time and again.

In terms of Brady, DG stopped being about him and the footballs long ago. The league wants its power play so it can punish teams/players as they wish, see Chiefs latest hosing for FA tampering as exhibit A.

I would like to hope at some point the owners see Goodell and his cronies for what they are and get rid of him but I think it may take a player strike which is probably even more unlikely but Brady's court case is huge especially if he loses as it will grant the NFL that much more power to do whatever it wishes.

Back