Manning, schmanning... when all is said and done ...

FallingAlice

V'Ger
Reaction score
When his career is over...

Will Tom Brady be as big if not bigger than--

Russell
Bird
Williams
Orr

I say Brady is already bigger than Williams and Orr. One more Superbowl Championship and I think he's bigger than Russell and Bird.

One more SuperBowl Championship and I think Tom Brady goes down as the greatest Boston sports legend of all time.

FallingAlice said:
When his career is over...

Will Tom Brady be as big if not bigger than--

Russell
Bird
Williams
Orr
I suppose it would depend on 'bigger.' If you are a big football fan posting on a Patriots board, maybe. Russell's string of back to back championships is unlikely to ever be matched. Orr was just unbelievable. Brady isn't spectacular at anything, doesn't produce massive stats or gasps of awe. He just wins. I've nothing against winning, but Orr in his prime was doing stuff no one else was doing.

And one might argue that Russsell and Orr changed their games. Russell -- with his emphasis on defense, rebounding and getting his team the ball -- redefined the center position. Before Orr, defensemen never went forward of the enemy blue line. The Big Bad Bruin forwards had to learn to drop back to the point when Bobby decided to play offense. The result was a far more flexible game that the rest of the league couldn't deal with at first, but eventually copied. Brady, like Bird and Williams, is just very very good and very very popular.

If anyone on the Patriots is changing the game, I would credit Paoli and Belichick. The Patriots Revolution is more about team than any individual star. It is more about managing the salary cap and a flexible diverse defense than a great quarterback. Bird had an amazing awareness of the entire basketball court. Brady seems to have a similar gift, running through progressions way down field while taking two nimble steps to the side to avoid a blitz. Brady also shares with Bird the ability to play their best in a big game when the pressure is on. But such people are almost freaks of nature. Other teams can't copy it. They can only hope to spot another freak some day, and freaks are few and far between.

But some other teams are eventually going to shift to fewer stars, greater depth and more physical play, while stealing various aspects of the Patriots defensive schemes. Brady is good. I'm danged pleased to have him. But it is Belichick and Paoli that are going to have the impact on the rest of the league.

But this is an interesting and irresolvable debate. People worship sports stars for different reasons.

Tom Brady is not bigger than Ted Williams. Sorry.

Why does this even have to be a debate? Brady at 27 is great and one of these most popular athletes we have had in NE. That being said, his career is far from over. At 27 he already has 3 championships and plays in the countries most popular sport (by far!).

William
Orr
Russell
Bird
Brady
...not necessarily in that order, but Brady is up there - he is in the top 5!

As he progresses, he might exceed them all. If he keeps up the Joe Montanaeque play, he will no doubt be the tops NE has ever had. Let's just sit back and enjoy watching this kid play. He is a exceptional on and off the field let's hope it continues!

Bruschi 3:16 said:
B-3:16.....

Tom Brady at least has his head in the right place. Sorry

(I couldn't resist... but I'll say this... Ted's passing and the aftermath will have to go down as the most bizarre and tragic end to a sporting legend... ever)

As for Ted vs Tom, could it not be said that like Peyton Manning, Ted had the stats and individual talent but never won the big one? (I'm assuming that #18 will end up like his Dad)

That alone puts Tom ahead of Ted in sporting achievement since he has won Championships.

Ted's legend although still strong, is on the wane and I suspect that with our generation's passing will fade even more.

But what if Manning wins the next 5 SuperBowls?

RoadGrader said:

Tom Brady at least has his head in the right place. Sorry

(I couldn't resist... but I'll say this... Ted's passing and the aftermath will have to go down as the most bizarre and tragic end to a sporting legend... ever)

RG -

Thought you might like this picture of Spaceman Bill Lee that I took at Fenway a couple of weeks ago....

HomelessJoe said:
But what if Manning wins the next 5 SuperBowls?

H-J.....

OK, take out my Peyton reference and let's put in Dan Marino instead.

(I just luv hootin' on Manning too much)

I think if any comparisons can be made it would be between Russell and Brady.

In his day Russell was always being compared to Chamberlin, and everyone always was amazed at the individual statistics that Wilt had, but Russell had all the rings.

What does that remind you of?

Russell's play emphasized team and he did what the team needed for them to win.

Every single game 7, or any other game that would result in his team being eliminated, Russell won.

However, Russell did this for a much longer period of time at more than one location (college, Olympics, NBA).

Brady has a way to go to exceed what Russell acomplished.

dropKickMurphy said:
RG -

Thought you might like this picture of Spaceman Bill Lee that I took at Fenway a couple of weeks ago....

d-KM...

ROFL ROFL

I had never seen that pic before....thanx

RoadGrader said:
B-3:16.....

As for Ted vs Tom, could it not be said that like Peyton Manning, Ted had the stats and individual talent but never won the big one? (I'm assuming that #18 will end up like his Dad)

That's what I was thinking about Ted.

And...I don't mean this as a shot across the bow to Sox fans, but as great as he was, Ted was not Joe DiMaggio. *

*For entertainment purposes only. I am not a Yankees fan.

Re: Re: Manning, schmanning... when all is said and done ...

First, excellent analysis. But here are my counterarguments.

blantyr said:
I suppose it would depend on 'bigger.' If you are a big football fan posting on a Patriots board, maybe. Russell's string of back to back championships is unlikely to ever be matched. Orr was just unbelievable. Brady isn't spectacular at anything, doesn't produce massive stats or gasps of awe. He just wins. I've nothing against winning, but Orr in his prime was doing stuff no one else was doing.

I'm not sure about that one anymore. Some of his game winning drives are already the stuff of legend. Some of his passes... at crucial situations... are too.

And one might argue that Russsell and Orr changed their games. Russell -- with his emphasis on defense, rebounding and getting his team the ball -- redefined the center position. Before Orr, defensemen never went forward of the enemy blue line. The Big Bad Bruin forwards had to learn to drop back to the point when Bobby decided to play offense. The result was a far more flexible game that the rest of the league couldn't deal with at first, but eventually copied. Brady, like Bird and Williams, is just very very good and very very popular.

If anyone on the Patriots is changing the game, I would credit Paoli and Belichick. The Patriots Revolution is more about team than any individual star. It is more about managing the salary cap and a flexible diverse defense than a great quarterback. Bird had an amazing awareness of the entire basketball court. Brady seems to have a similar gift, running through progressions way down field while taking two nimble steps to the side to avoid a blitz. Brady also shares with Bird the ability to play their best in a big game when the pressure is on. But such people are almost freaks of nature. Other teams can't copy it. They can only hope to spot another freak some day, and freaks are few and far between.

First, I agree, Orr and Rusell changed their respective games. I haven't put Brady ahead of Russell yet. But I have put him ahead of Orr. For a couple of reasons...

1. More championships at a young age.
2. Football is a bigger game than hockey in the U.S. And I don't see that ever changing. Thus, ultimately, I see Brady being the bigger star.

My argument isn't that Brady is a better athlete than any of them but will go down as the biggest star. I suppose because he's been so successful on the biggest stage of them all.

By the way...your points about Brady not being the innovator could also be directed at the young Russell. I'm sure Red had an awful lot to do with the innovations that Russell executed on the court.

In a sense, Russell is the basketball version of Brady to Chamberlain's Manning. Russell just won, baby.

But this is an interesting and irresolvable debate. People worship sports stars for different reasons. [/B]

Exactly.

I love Bill Lee. What a great T-shirt.

EdgerrinJames said:
What does this have to do with Eli???

Nothing. We're just trying to keep Giants Trolls happy and engaged in the board.

Bruschi 3:16 said:

Tom Brady is a good guy and a great football player and there is no one I would rather have at QB.
But Bobby Orr was the man on a team of rock stars.

fulltilt said:
Tom Brady is a good guy and a great football player and there is no one I would rather have at QB.
But Bobby Orr was the man on a team of rock stars.

True.

And if we lived in Toronto, Orr would be the single greatest star in the firmament. So blinding would be his light that all other stars would disappear before our eyes.

But weeeaaah Ahmer'cin, suhn. Ahmer'cin.

Re: Re: Re: Manning, schmanning... when all is said and done ...

FallingAlice said:
I agree, Orr and Russell changed their respective games. I haven't put Brady ahead of Russell yet. But I have put him ahead of Orr. For a couple of reasons...

1. More championships at a young age.

Dang that Ken Dryden. In some ways, the Big Bad Bruins remind me of today's Colts... an offensive machine that ran afoul of the notion that defense wins championships. If Orr and company reinvented hockey offense, the Red Army style of disciplined skating and the Canadian's habit of stifling the Bruins in the playoffs took the sport the other way. I like hard hitting defensive physical football. I disagree with some Colt fan's opinions that Patriots style football isn't fun to watch. Still, after growing up watching Bobby Orr, I couldn't be bothered watching the modern NHL game.

Originally posted by FallingAlice 2. Football is a bigger game than hockey in the U.S. And I don't see that ever changing. Thus, ultimately, I see Brady being the bigger star.

My argument isn't that Brady is a better athlete than any of them but will go down as the biggest star. I suppose because he's been so successful on the biggest stage of them all.

Ah, but I was growing just south of Boston when Orr was skating. That was a magical time. I remember driving home from UMass, after dropping off my sister, and tuning in a Bruins game. They were down about four goals. We didn't turn off the game. We waited for the explosion. The current Patriots following is a very good thing. The Big Bad Bruins were magic.

I remember a tale of one of Orr's first visits to Madison Square Garden. As Orr took the puck from behind his own net, the local radio announcer proclaimed that the Boston crowd thought Orr was special. He didn't understand what made Orr so special. In the time it took for Orr to skate the length of the ice and light the lamp, he figured it out. In the NFL, there have been a few running backs who could demonstrate greatness in one play. Quarterbacks, not so much.

You hear the stories of Bird looking up at the rafters during the Star Spangled banner, not looking at the US flag, but at the Black and Gold retired number four, hoping someday to be loved as Orr was once loved. Bird aspired to too much. Brady too has a long way to go.

Yes, today Football is by far the dominant sport... It wasn't so in Boston when Orr was skating, and that was because of Orr. Brady, he is loved, but not Loved.

Originally posted by FallingAlice By the way...your points about Brady not being the innovator could also be directed at the young Russell. I'm sure Red had an awful lot to do with the innovations that Russell executed on the court.

In a sense, Russell is the basketball version of Brady to Chamberlain's Manning. Russell just won, baby.
Perhaps. It was Red who told Russell, forget scoring, just get the (expletive deleted) ball. Still, would Red have been able to say that with a center other than Russell? On the other hand, would Belichick be remaking the NFL in his own image with Bledsoe at quarterback?

Of Boston's Big Five stars, Williams, Bird and Orr seem larger than any of their coaches. Russell and Brady might end up linked to Auerbach and Belichick as similarly great coaches. Perhaps none of the latter two pairs would stand as tall without their partner.

But Brady and Belichick have some games to win yet, in my opinion, before they should feel entirely comfortable in such company. Hopefully, it will come. :) For the moment, I'm still an Orr guy, and don't discount Russell's rings.

But the Brady - Belichick run is still in progress. As they say on Broadway, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Excellent post, Blantyr.

But... nostalgia being what it is, things shine even more brightly in our memories.

Believe it or not -- all the way West to Sioux City, IA, I too was a Bruins fan who marvelled at Orr.

But I can guarantee you that Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach loomed even larger to me at the time. As they did for most Americans -- as great as Orr was.

I see what you're saying about Orr's genious being so immediately accessible and easy to see. He was a great defenseman whose skills changed the game. But being a great "Quarterback" is a different ball of wax.

Remember -- according to most, Brady is still in his "Developmental Years" as a pro quarterback, making what he's accomplished all the greater. Three rings by the age of 28?

And... I would argue that Russel and Brady may be "overshadowed" by their coaches only because they're playing on "dynastic" franchises. And even then... remember how well Belichick was doing without Brady? Without Brady, Belichick and Pioli's "genious" may never have come to light.

As great as the Bruins were, they were no dynasty. And... well... we know about the Sox.

One more... one more ring... and it's all over. Brady's the man.

FallingAlice said:
True.

And if we lived in Toronto, Orr would be the single greatest star in the firmament. So blinding would be his light that all other stars would disappear before our eyes.

But weeeaaah Ahmer'cin, suhn. Ahmer'cin.

-----------------------

Believe it or not -- all the way West to Sioux City, IA, I too was a Bruins fan who marvelled at Orr.

But I can guarantee you that Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach loomed even larger to me at the time. As they did for most Americans -- as great as Orr was.

Alice -

I agree that due to his sport and position, Brady's luminosity has surpassed that of Orr....on a national level.
Here in the Boston area, however, that's not the case. I still have vivid memories of what it was like around here during Orr's heyday. I have yet to see any athlete or team match the impact that Bobby Orr had on the local scene....and that includes Brady, Bird, and the 2004 Red Sox.

Before Orr, there was a handful of rinks scattered around the Boston area. When Orr burst upon the scene, suddenly there was a construction boom as scores of rinks sprung up, seemingly overnight, in practically every town in the area. Despite the boom, each and every one of them was busy 7 days a week with youth leagues. A few years after Orr left the scene, the boom subsided and many of these rinks closed or were converted to other uses, such as racquetball courts.

Outside of the rinks, on every street throughout the neighborhoods and suburbs of Boston, a street hockey game would be found at any time the kids weren't in school. And just about every participant would be sporting a black and gold sweater adorned with the number 4.

It's really hard to fathom the popularity of Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins unless you were around here to see it. I lived in Montreal for 4 years during which the Canadiens won 4 Stanley Cups. During that time, I got used to seeing the 2 English, and 4 or 5 French Daily papers regularly putting the Habs on the front page. I know what a hockey crazy city is, and Boston during those few years in the early 70's was every bit the Hockey Town that Montreal was.

We didn't see anything close to this impact on hoops during the Bird years; on football during the Brady years; or on baseball following the Sox championship.

Sure, kids are playing organized basketball, baseball, and football. But, I don't see new facilities or these sports being constructed. Driving around, you can't help but notice the boom in youth soccer....and, more recently, the growing popularity of youth lacrosse.

dropKickMurphy said:
Alice -

I agree that due to his sport and position, Brady's luminosity has surpassed that of Orr....on a national level.
Here in the Boston area, however, that's not the case. I still have vivid memories of what it was like around here during Orr's heyday. I have yet to see any athlete or team match the impact that Bobby Orr had on the local scene....and that includes Brady, Bird, and the 2004 Red Sox.

Okay, okay. I view this question through a national lense. Boston natives see it very differently.

I acquiesce.

But can we at least agree that there's a big difference between Armani and Prada?

Back