McDaniels signs agreement to become Rams' OC

Jammer

Reaction score
McDaniels signs agreement to become Rams' OC By Michael Lombardi NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 18, 2011 at 06:30 p.m. Updated: Jan. 18, 2011 at 06:45 p.m. The St. Louis Rams have signed former Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels to be their offensive coordinator, a league source said Tuesday.

McDaniels, the first to interview for the Rams job, also interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings about their offensive coordinator position. Pat Shurmur, who had run the Rams' offense, was hired last week as Cleveland Browns head coach.

McDaniels, the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator from 2006 to 2008, was the Broncos' head coach from January 2009 until early last month, when he was dismissed with a 3-9 record following a videotaping scandal. He was an assistant coach with the Pats starting in 2001.

McDaniels signs agreement to become Rams' OC By Michael Lombardi NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 18, 2011 at 06:30 p.m. Updated: Jan. 18, 2011 at 06:45 p.m. The St. Louis Rams have signed former Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels to be their offensive coordinator, a league source said Tuesday.

McDaniels, the first to interview for the Rams job, also interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings about their offensive coordinator position. Pat Shurmur, who had run the Rams' offense, was hired last week as Cleveland Browns head coach.

McDaniels, the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator from 2006 to 2008, was the Broncos' head coach from January 2009 until early last month, when he was dismissed with a 3-9 record following a videotaping scandal. He was an assistant coach with the Pats starting in 2001.
I could have lived with him coming back to NE. I liked him when he was a Pat.

I could have lived with him coming back to NE. I liked him when he was a Pat.
Meh, BoB made huge strides in calling an efficient game this year and was a good part of our 14-2 regular season record. He was also a big part of our playoff bow out, but hopefully a couple more players, more experience, and more learning and he can be spectacular. I honestly think he has the capability to be a better OC than Josh. I just hope he gets it together for next years' playoffs.

I've definitely constantly questioned a majority of his decisions while he was HC so I'm glad he's an OC for another team. He's definitely not ready, or even football fundamentally sound, to become an HC at this point. He'll be great for Bradford. Good sign by STL.

I agree with Grumpy on BO'B vs JM. But...I wasn't really sad to see Josh go.
I think we saw on Sunday that the O still has to be able to compete in a physical style game better so I am not sure I pin that on BO'B. I pin it more on transitioning back to real football from spread.

I agree with Grumpy on BO'B vs JM. But...I wasn't really sad to see Josh go.
I think we saw on Sunday that the O still has to be able to compete in a physical style game better so I am not sure I pin that on BO'B. I pin it more on transitioning back to real football from spread.
I pin it on the playcalling and the line. I like our line, but I would really like to see an upgrade at C and a youth infusion at guard. Connolly might be that guy, but I'm not convinced yet - part of that may be due to Koppen and his inability to handle elite DTs and NTs. The Jets dared us to run, and we didn't do it enough, that's on BoB, but like last years failures, I expect him to learn from them and make this offense better. I see nothing at all to indicate Green Ellis and Woody can't be the 1-2 punch of this offense for years to come, they have the talent and both secure the ball well. Maybe add a mauler to replace Morris (Gerhart to the Vikings still stings) but I think our RB situation is pretty decent all things considered.

I pin it on the playcalling and the line. I like our line, but I would really like to see an upgrade at C and a youth infusion at guard. Connolly might be that guy, but I'm not convinced yet - part of that may be due to Koppen and his inability to handle elite DTs and NTs. The Jets dared us to run, and we didn't do it enough, that's on BoB, but like last years failures, I expect him to learn from them and make this offense better. I see nothing at all to indicate Green Ellis and Woody can't be the 1-2 punch of this offense for years to come, they have the talent and both secure the ball well. Maybe add a mauler to replace Morris (Gerhart to the Vikings still stings) but I think our RB situation is pretty decent all things considered.

What changed on the line from 45-3 to 28-21? Did the Jets get someone healthy or did they just decide to play harder? Seems the OL handled them fine one time and not well at all the next. How does that happen?

BB himself told Ernie Accorsi that he "effed up" in Cleveland.
He is definitely a bit different now than he was then, OSU is right.

For one, he was actually worse with the media ...lol He looks like Brittfavruh now compared to then.

He was too much of a control freak, wouldn't delegate. Funny when you think who his assistants were too..a....veritable who's who of great college/position coaches. His GMs were experienced guys as well/ Lombardi/Accorsi IIRC.

He would at times trash players openly in the press (see my title, it's what he actually said in the public about Kosar).

He actually consulted with some media or PR expert to try to fix things.

What changed on the line from 45-3 to 28-21? Did the Jets get someone healthy or did they just decide to play harder? Seems the OL handled them fine one time and not well at all the next. How does that happen?
Nothing, we're talking about last year vs. next year. 45-3 was mostly Tom killing them vs. man coverage, then handing off when they played back. 28-21 was us not going to the run, even though they were essentially daring us to do it. As I said, I blame the lack of run on BoB, but I think with a better interior line, we can be more methodical in our running, and less gimicky with when we choose to do it, allowing us to exert our will on teams when we want to, and not when it's offered to us.

Bradford is going to be in the elite soon, I think within the next year he will surpass the level of Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez, etc.

Back