MERGED - Jaguars.com Power Rankings (and other Jags trash talking)

The Herald's John Tomase has an article about this and other Jags mouthing off

Spicer adds more flavor
Words could haunt Jacksonville
By John Tomase
Monday, January 7, 2008

The Patriots usually need to contrive bulletin board material.

Not this week.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are making it easy on them, thanks to Camera-gate.

On the Jaguars’ official Web site, the Patriots rate No. 1 in the power rankings, but their 16-0 season includes an asterisk which reads, “cheated in one game.”

And turning back the clock to that September scandal, few players in the league were more outspoken than Jaguars defensive lineman Paul Spicer.

“This ain’t news,” he told the Associated Press at the time. “I’ve heard it in the past. They finally got caught. The Patriots got caught. They’re busted.”

Those words and many of the ones that follow below will surely come up behind closed doors in Gillette Stadium this week, where the Pats are masters of turning disrespect into motivation.

At the height of Camera-gate, Spicer wanted commissioner Roger Goodell to fine the Patriots $2 million and take away their second- and third-round picks, while hoping for something even harsher.

“Do like the NCAA and kick them out of the playoffs or something,” Spicer said. “Put them on probation; they can’t go to no playoff games. Roger Goodell has definitely enforced some new rules. He’s been hard on players. Now let’s see how hard he’s going to be with a team.”

Goodell didn’t disappoint, fining coach Bill Belichick $500,000, the team $250,000, and docking the Pats a first-round pick in this year’s draft.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio believed the Patriots had committed a breach of the game’s ethics, drawing a baseball analogy after the news broke.

“It’s quite obvious that when you’re signaling defensively, the other bench is like a guy on second base,” Del Rio said. “If the pitcher or catcher is giving away signals, then he can relay things. But that’s part of the game. You’re not talking about having a camera set up on the center field fence that you’re looking and shooting the catcher’s signals and then studying that before you go play that opponent.

“That’s a different issue. Do we look at each other’s sidelines and look for hints at what might be coming? Sure. I think all teams do that. That’s been going on forever. That will continue to be part of our game.”

That wasn’t Del Rio’s only issue with the Pats. Last Christmas Eve in Jacksonville, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was able to gain a few extra yards on a scramble by starting to slide, only to keep running as the Jags’ defenders pulled up.

“They should’ve speared him then,” Del Rio told Jaguars.com, though he later said his words were taken out of context.

The last time the Jaguars played the Patriots in the postseason, the Pats won 28-3 and the Jaguars had to deal with broken headsets.

“Our coach-to-quarterback system mysteriously malfunctioned the entire first half,” Del Rio said, stopping short of blaming the Pats for the problem.

Though they didn’t intend it at the time, the Jaguars unwittingly provided the Patriots with no shortage of bulletin board material that can be used this week. And even if the players and coaches have nothing to do with the Web site, it still labels the Pats cheaters.

The last word goes to Spicer.

“They’re the ones that have to pay the consequences for it,” he said in September. “If that’s the way they feel like they have to get the upper hand, then so be it. Everybody’s been running around calling them geniuses for years. What are they going to say now?”

I think Spicer may have knew this day was coming and wanted the commissioner to get his ass out of it somehow.

Sorry Paul.... time to pay the check!

Hooray for Spicer. He will be one of the first people Brady will jaw up to after the first TD pass to Moss.

We should all go over to this forum and jack it up..patriotsplanet invasion

Those jags aint gonna know what's hit them on sat night

NO RESPECT!!!

Isn't Spicer the punk ass biatch that speared Brady last year? I think there is bad blod on the Pats part for that thing alone. Anything else is just gravy.

Thank GOD all the dumbass players like Spicer never set foot near Foxboro. And Del Rio is a phoney not quite of the magnitude of Herm the Perm but still something about him just makes me want to call hazmat to get the toxic slime off when I see him. Granted he made a GREAT call ditching Leftwich for Garrard but still..

I love it. Let them jaw some more. They show how nervous of us they are when they do that.

Saturday night cannot come soon enough!!:p

I was nervous about this game until I read this thread. I feel a Pittsburgh style beat down coming up.

I wonder, based on the spearing incident last year and the whole * on their website, if its ok with OTP87 if the Pats run it up on them.

Now you guys see why all the hate between Colts and Jags. They're a bunch of trash-talking whiners! And their fans are even worse! (well, most of em - I'm not talking about the good ones here).

Just wait till after you beat em - It'll be ten times worse!

Let em talk all they want makes me feel better about the game :) I actually get disappointed when teams don't have anything to say about us before a game.

Also I am sick of people bringing up the damn cheating thing. Was the first quarter of the first game of the season. Didn't help in that game or any of the others! LET IT GO already. People gotta recognize that we have an AMAZING team. Damn haters

I just pray for an injury free game!

cka203 on 01-07-2008 at 09:31 AM said:
And their fans are even worse! (well, most of em - I'm not talking about the good ones here).
Wait! What? I thought you guys told us that there was no such thing?

cka203 on 01-07-2008 at 09:31 AM said:
Now you guys see why all the hate between Colts and Jags. They're a bunch of trash-talking whiners! And their fans are even worse! (well, most of em - I'm not talking about the good ones here).

Just wait till after you beat em - It'll be ten times worse!

All they want is respect!!! Funny thing is....for all the trash their fans talk, they still have trouble filling seats

ColtFan81 on 01-07-2008 at 09:57 AM said:
All they want is respect!!! Funny thing is....for all the trash their fans talk, they still have trouble filling seats
Ummm. Miami has trouble filling seats. And they have been around for a while (and in case you didn't know this allready they are te only undefeated and untied team in NFL history). Florida seems like its not a very good place for pro sports. Its full of transplants. Doesn't College football take the lion share off the market down there?
Plus. If they had Tom or Payton as their QB I think they wouldn't have to worry about filling their seats.

Major A$$hole* on 01-07-2008 at 09:04 AM said:
Isn't Spicer the punk ass biatch that speared Brady last year? I think there is bad blod on the Pats part for that thing alone. Anything else is just gravy.

Nope that was Clint Ingram. I think you are right about most of the bad blood will be stemming from last years game.

Major A$$hole* on 01-07-2008 at 10:07 AM said:
Ummm. Miami has trouble filling seats. And they have been around for a while (and in case you didn't know this allready they are te only undefeated and untied team in NFL history). Florida seems like its not a very good place for pro sports. Its full of transplants. Doesn't College football take the lion share off the market down there?
Plus. If they had Tom or Payton as their QB I think they wouldn't have to worry about filling their seats.

No college football does not take the lion share in Jacksonville. If you look at the TV ratings between any NFL game vs the Gators or Noles down here the NFL wins every time hands down. What most people forget about college football and there stadiums being filled is that alumni come from all over to fill the stadium, they pull from the entire state and not just from one city. They also have quite a few coming in from out of state to attend games as well. Yes the Jags are a young franchise and it will take time until it grows, yes Florida is full of transplants however each generation that grows up with this team is another addition to the fan base regardless of where their parents have come from.

no1jag on 01-07-2008 at 10:26 AM said:
No college football does not take the lion share in Jacksonville. If you look at the TV ratings between any NFL game vs the Gators or Noles down here the NFL wins every time hands down. What most people forget about college football and there stadiums being filled is that alumni come from all over to fill the stadium, they pull from the entire state and not just from one city.
Thats why I say that they take the lion share of the markett. A team needs more than just the city itself to suport it in order to be financialy sucesfull unless that city is NYC. If the college teams draw more support from the surrounding areas then they have a bigger following. Plus they (college teams) have been around for a while now. They have had a lot of time to build a fan base not only in state but outside also.

LOL

I was wondering when the silence would break.

And here I thought the Jags had finally turned the corner with the pitt game.

Back