MERGED - Marquise Hill dead after jetski accident in Lake Pontchatrain

This is sad news. If Marquise went back into the water to try to save someone else he's a true hero. Hopefully his loss helps raise water safety awareness and saves someone else. I still remember the shock of Joe Delaney's drowning death trying to save some kids. Professional athletes can appear invincible but life doesn't always work that way. I don't know if he is married w/kids but my thoughts go out to his entire family as well as his teamates.

If you're gonna be on a jetski, wear your freaking life preserver!

This is very sad news, tragic to see a young man who enjoyed helping his community taken too soon, but let's be real, this was likely preventable.

Damn. As the good book says, "there is no greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend."

RIP Marquise.

:banghead:

Cletusaurus on 05-28-2007 at 01:07 PM said:
That's the part that drives me insane (after reading that Hill wasn't wearing a life jacket). If you pick someone up and they say that they had a person with them that also fell off, why do you not do everything you can to keep the one you picked up ON the boat while helping them? Or at the very least, GIVE THE GUY A LIFE PRESERVER if you see he's not wearing one and as persistent as he was to get back in the water!

I hope Marquise is ok... but being in water overnight, no matter where you are, isn't safe.
I'm sure they did the best they could. I picture a very hectic situation with an extremely large man.

Prayers to M.H. and his family/friends.

He didn't make it :( 24 years old. Just awful.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl052807tplsu.1aa969dc.html

Body of ex-LSU star found in Lake Pontchartrain

02:40 PM CDT on Monday, May 28, 2007

WWLTV.com

The Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said it had found the body of former LSU star Marquise Hill near the area where he was last seen Sunday night following a jet skiing incident.

Hill was jet skiing with a female friend in Lake Pontchartrain night when they both went into the water for an as yet undetermined reason. Eyewitnesses said the two were drifting apart in a strong current but that the woman was able to grab hold of a piling until she could be rescued.

Attempts to get to Hill while he was still visible were unsuccessful.

According to Coast Guard officials, a call came in around 9:30 Sunday evening about a woman floating in the water, hanging on to a piling.

Elias said the woman was rescued and rushed to the hospital where she told them that Hill had tried to keep her calm even as the two were drifting away from each other.

Elias said neither Hill nor the woman was wearing a life preserver.

Friends told Eyewitness News reporter Jill Hezeau that Hill was in for the holiday weekend and had gone to Lake Pontchartrain to jet ski.

“I’d never seen him as happy as he was yesterday,” said his uncle Aaron Hill.

A graduate of De La Salle High, Elias said that Hill has spent much of his time since Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

Hill played on LSU’s National Championship team and was drafted in the second round by New England in 2004.

What a sad development....my condolences to the MH family and NEP community.

RIP Marquise

Man, that sucks.

I can't say we knew him well, since he'd barely seen the field, but the only thing that sucks more than a death is a young death... and the only thing that sucks more than a young death is a young senseless death.

Hopefully this story will stick around for a long time and convince young people to wear life vests when they do stuff like jet ski.

Such a waste. :shake: R.I.P., Marquise.

My condolences to the family of Marquis Hill and all of his friends.

My wife's first comment was: "it's stupid to be using a jetski at night...you can't see everything well". Plus they weren't using lifepreservers. Just plain dumb. And I've done some dumb things too...luckily for me, it didn't turn out as badly. And may I emphasize "luckily". There but for the grace of god go I.....

According to Mike Reiss:

Teammate Randall Gay was at the scene, and told the newspaper: "I know it's going to be hard in that locker room seeing his locker."

BoltsOwnU on 05-28-2007 at 05:13 PM said:
BOU offers prayers and condolences to Hill's family, friends, and fans.

It's a tragedy.:(

Thanks BOU. That means a lot and I think I speak for all Pats fans in saying that. :thumb:

You're good people...

Back