MERGED - Marquise Hill dead after jetski accident in Lake Pontchatrain

Patriots4ever on 05-29-2007 at 03:39 PM said:
Thanks Canuck, and to everyone at Broncosfreaks. :thumb:

YOu are more than welcome Pat4ever...you're a great guy and I feel bad for this young mans family and his fans....anyways...gotta run...check your mailbox soon...I have a package coming your way from #4:Bruins:

We will keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

RIP Marquise.

I'm on vacation in Portland, so I just now heard about Marquise. My condolences to his fans, friends, and family.

Just heard about this. This Bengal is very sad to hear it. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends. Best wishes to Pats fans.

just saw the headline "Body of Patriots player found" when I got online.

My condolences to the family of Marquis Hill and all of his friends.
This is really sad :(

AllWorldTE on 05-28-2007 at 01:13 PM said:
This is sad news. If Marquise went back into the water to try to save someone else he's a true hero. Hopefully his loss helps raise water safety awareness and saves someone else. I still remember the shock of Joe Delaney's drowning death trying to save some kids. Professional athletes can appear invincible but life doesn't always work that way. I don't know if he is married w/kids but my thoughts go out to his entire family as well as his teamates.

Joe Delaney's name immediately popped into my mind too after hearing how Marquise went back in to save his friend. What a shame to see a GOOD man taken so young.

Grief-stricken Green deals with death

By Karen Guregian
Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - Updated: 02:35 AM EST

FOXBORO - The image is haunting. It won’t leave him. Jarvis Green can’t shake it.

It keeps flashing in his head. He keeps seeing Marquise Hill in the water, swept away by the current at Lake Pontchartrain, moments after helping his friend to safety.

He can’t bear to think what must have been going through Hill’s mind in those precious remaining hours of his life, as he drifted away. The image keeps playing over and over in his mind, and Green is deeply anguished and tormented by it.

He’s trying to make sense of it all. Only there’s little sense to be made save for Hill’s heroic last act, and what could have been avoided had life jackets come into play.

“All I’ve been thinking about is what was running through his mind at that time,” Green said yesterday, the tears flowing freely, gently rolling down his cheek as he talked about the death of his Patriots teammate, the wide-eyed defensive end he mentored at LSU. “I can’t even grasp what that was like. His first thought was to save the girl, help her first, then he floated away. He has a 2-year-old son. This really hurts. It’s so depressing.”

Hill, said to be a terrific swimmer, drowned after the Jet Ski he was riding with his female friend capsized. Neither were wearing a life jacket.

Green, a Louisiana native, has been on the same lake many times with a Jet Ski. He doesn’t consider Lake Pontchartrain dangerous, and can understand why Hill wouldn’t have worn a life jacket. His teammate’s death, however, should serve as an eye-opener and warning. Others should learn from the accident.

“He was 24 years old. A freak accident like that. I don’t think anybody’s ready for that,” Green said. “But I think there’s a lesson in there for everyone. Like the guys who don’t wear helmets when they ride motorcycles. It’s the same thing. Think before you make decisions. I just wish he had that life jacket on. We all make crazy decisions sometimes.”

With that last line, Green put his hands over his face, trying to bury the emotion. But he couldn’t stop. The tears kept pouring out.

From the moment his cell phone rang around 9 p.m. Sunday with word of Hill’s possible drowning, Green has been trying to stay strong and help out in any way possible. Hill was like his baby brother.

“I’ve known him since he was in the 10th grade. We became friends. I was a sophomore at LSU. I hung out with him. I took him here and there. When he got to LSU, I was his mentor,” Green said, now composed. “Coach (Nick) Saban said, ‘Watch this guy.’ And he was great. He was a big recruit coming out of high school. He was a cool guy to be around. But when he got to LSU, I was always on him. I said, ‘Keep working hard, and you’ll get your chance.’ ”

At first, Green thought the late-night call from back home was a cruel joke. His cousin said his brother-in-law was out fishing, and described the scene of helicopters and Coast Guard boats and police cars, all out in search of Hill.

When Green realized the validity of the story, he called as many former LSU and Patriots teammates as he could.

“He’s a guy who made everyone laugh. He was a guy who was fun to be around,” Green said of the top defender on LSU’s 2003 national championship team. “He told jokes all the time. He always had a funny story. He kept smiles on people’s faces.”

Hill kept people smiling, even though through three seasons with the Patriots, the 6-foot-6, 300-pounder couldn’t crack the starting lineup despite the promise of being a 2004 second-round pick.

Green, four years his senior, kept rooting for Hill, whether it meant playing for the Patriots, or another team.

“I wanted him to get a chance one day. It was tough here, but I thought he’d get a chance to go somewhere and make a name for himself, go start for somebody,” Green said. “From his rookie year to now, he matured a lot. I know he wanted to be on the football field more. But him just growing as an adult, he was really getting there. He was a father, he was a good dad.”

Green postponed a wine tasting gala, put on by his foundation. He’s going to hold it down the road, and now, it will have an added cause. Green plans on establishing a fund for Hill’s son, Ma’shy.

The Pats defensive end also plans on speaking at Hill’s funeral.

“I probably will say something. I have a lot to say,” Green said. “I want to talk about him. I want people to remember him for the good he’s done, for all the help he’s given victims of Hurricane Katrina.”

If it’s possible, Green believes Hill’s death, which was officially ruled an accidental drowning yesterday, will solidify the Pats even more.

“I would think so,” he said. “The guys in the locker room, the stuff we go through every day with training camp, and the long seasons, a lot of people don’t understand what we do as athletes. I would think it’s going to make us closer. We have a bond in that locker room that’s different than other teams. Trusting each other and playing for each other. We’re going to miss Marquise. He was a part of us for three years. Now you see his name flashing across the TV screen. I still can’t believe it.”

Green was on ESPN last night who to their credit made Hill's death the lead story.

New England Sports Tonight on the other hand did not even mention it on their early show the bastards.

That story about Green's reaction is really emotionally moving. My heart aches over this.

Wow...

That story brought tears to my eyes, bid. :(

How horrible to be swept away like that, and knowing you're probably not gonna make it.

So, so sad...

:(

Hill Might Have Had Concussion

This would certainly explain why someone in such good physical shape drowned in this situation. From pft -

HILL MIGHT HAVE HAD A CONCUSSION

Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill might have suffered a concussion while falling off of the jet ski that he and a friend were riding on Sunday night in Lake Pontchartrain. This could have caused confusion for Hill, making it more difficult for him to swim in fading light and fast currents.

An autopsy detected no drugs or alcohol in Hill's body, but there was a "pretty nasty bruise" above his right eye and a small amount of blood in his brain.

"That could have caused him some confusion," Orleans parish coroner Frank Minyard, M.D. said. "Although we were told he talked to the woman who was with him after the accident, he could have become disoriented."

Hill's funeral will be held on Saturday. Patriots owner Robert Kraft has arranged for a chartered flight so that members of the organization can attend. The team has posted a video tribute to Hill on its web site.

Hill's teammate in New England and at LSU, Jarvis Green, is struggling to comprehend the loss. "He was 24 years old. A freak accident like that. I don't think anybody's ready for that," Green told the Boston Herald. "But I think there's a lesson in there for everyone. Like the guys who don't wear helmets when they ride motorcycles. It's the same thing. Think before you make decisions. I just wish he had that life jacket on. We all make crazy decisions sometimes."

Green intends to speak about his friend at his funeral. "I probably will say something. I have a lot to say," Green said. "I want to talk about him. I want people to remember him for the good he's done, for all the help he's given victims of Hurricane Katrina."

Another person suffering in the aftermath of the incident is Hill's fiancee, Inell Benn. She and Hill have a son, Ma'shy, who is 20 months old. "Marquise didn't have a father," Benn told the Boston Herald. "What he had with Ma'shy was so natural. Ma'shy knew who his dad was. Even if we were a long distance apart, he'd see a picture of Marquise and hug it and say, 'That's my daddy.'"

We all need to heed Jarvis Green's words and realize that, whether it's a motorcycle or a car or a jet ski, we need to take all available precautions, all the time. One of the defects in the human mind is that we're often inclined to think that the accidents will happen to someone else, not to us. Though plenty of tragedies are to a large extent unavoidable, we always need to be thinking about our own safety -- if not for our own sake, for the sake of those we'd leave behind.

Link to Reiss article

The Pats have posted a video tribute to Hill

UT/Dirtywater: how about an official PatsPlanet "Adopt-A-Patriot" banner for the front page in memoriam of Marquise? Just a thought...

From all I've read, I totally underestimated the positive effect Marquise Hill had on these New England Patriots. Some of the players were very close with him. A team is not only about who plays on the field.

Remember one year Belichick presented Damon Huard the gameball (was it after the Pat's SB victory vs. the Eagles?), when Belichick made it known that Huard did just a great job being McNabb in practices?

These Pats will probably get over this loss somewhat, but the pain will probably linger for a while. Although as a player this week has said, these types of tragedies might bring a team closer together.

I remember learning how many of the Patriots were effected by the loss of the QB coach, Dick Rebein, prior to the 2001 season. It seemed to bring the together.

<<
these types of tragedies might bring a team closer together.
>>

Believe that's what Jarvis Green said he expected to happen during his interview yesterday.

I am saddened by this horribly tragic news. My prayers and condolences go out to the Hill family.

RIP Marquise Hill. May his memory be eternal.

Back