New England Patriots

Quarterbacks:
Cullen Finnerty, Grand Valley State, Drew Stanton, Michigan State

Running Backs:
Lorenzo Booker, Florida State

Fullbacks:
Brian Leonard, Rutgers

Wide Receivers:
Chris Davis, Florida State, Rhema McKnight, Notre Dame, Brandon Myles, West Virginia

Tight Ends:
Martrez Milner, Georgia

Offensive Tackles:
None

Offensive Guards:
Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers

Centers:
None

Defensive Ends:
Kareem Brown, Miami, Brandon Mebane, California, David Patterson, Ohio State, Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State

Defensive Tackles:
None

Outside Linbackers:
Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame, Jon Beason, Miami, Stewart Bradley, Nebraska, Buster Davis, Florida State, Jarvis Moss, Florida, Brian Robison, Texas, Anthony Spencer, Purdue, Tony Taylor, Georgia, Lamar Woodley, Michigan

Inside Linbackers:
Zak DeOssie, Brown, Desmond Bishop, California

Cornerbacks:
Fred Bennett, South Carolina, Leon Hall, Michigan, Eric Wright, UNLV, Josh Wilson, Maryland

Safeties:
Michael Griffin, Texas, Brandon Meriweather, Miami, Reggie Nelson, Florida, Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State, Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech, Eric Weddle, Utah

Kickers/Punters:
None

I would like to see us take Safety Brandon Meriweather, Miami with the 24th pick. He is a hard hitting safety who also has cb coverage skills. Always around the ball. I know he made some mistakes before but I am willing to give him a chance. With the 28th pick I could see the Pats trading down into the 2nd round and picking up an additonal pick for next year. If Michael Bush the Rb from Louisville is healthy I wouldn't mind him being taken for the cold weather ball control games at the end of the season.

from kffl - yee haa another receiver maybe

Patriots | J. Staley to have private workout
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:03:45 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots have scheduled a private workout with Central Michigan University OT Joe Staley.

Patriots | Team interested in Taylor
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:03:04 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots are interested in University of Auburn WR Courtney Taylor and will send wide receivers coach Nick Caserio to a private workout.

As a USC homer, I was hoping they would look at Steve Smith. He will probably be available in the 3rd, and he had a good combine. He is a great team player, very consistent, with very sticky hands, but not quite big or fast enough to be a top prospect. Basically a Patriots type of player through and through. Sticky hands, NEVER drops the ball. I'm rooting for Steve Smith like South Carolina is rooting for Sidney Rice.

(P - shoulder) on 03-17-2007 at 12:06 AM said:
As a USC homer, I was hoping they would look at Steve Smith. He will probably be available in the 3rd, and he had a good combine. He is a great team player, very consistent, with very sticky hands, but not quite big or fast enough to be a top prospect. Basically a Patriots type of player through and through. Sticky hands, NEVER drops the ball. I'm rooting for Steve Smith like South Carolina is rooting for Sidney Rice.

Im not exactly rooting for Sidney Rice to be a Patriot, i just think he could be a very productive WR in the NFL in the right system, and i think one of those "right systems" would be New England. I guess i really am rooting for Rice to succeed, even if it isnt with the Patriots. He is a good kid, and was a guy who everyone i know who is a SC fan hated to see leave. I just wish him well, and that he not get drafted by some black hole franchise.

Interesting snippet on the origination of the 40-yard dash as a metric for a football player:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...fl/stories/031807dnspo40yardlede.33749f9.html
Paul Brown, founder of two NFL franchises, is credited with many innovations, from the playbook to the draw play to a radio in a quarterback's helmet. In addition to his on-the-field successes, Brown's off-the-field ideas played a part in his selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Another of Brown's legacies is the 40-yard dash.

Coaching at Ohio State in the 1940s, Brown was looking for players to cover punts. He figured the average punt traveled 40 yards, so he had his players timed. The fastest covered punts.

----------------------------------------------

If you click on the link provided, the author delves deeper into the "mystique of the 40-yard dash".

I get a chuckle over what a cottage industry the combine has become. The combine is how workout warriors without a lick of toughness or football instinct make it into the first-round.

(P - shoulder) on 03-17-2007 at 12:06 AM said:

I think you meant to say, "I am craving Steve Smith like southcarolina craves preperation H."

well now reggie nelson seems to move out of our range.
he ran a 4.35 40 at his pro day

Here ya go, MGO:

March 19th, 2007
Wolverine hunting
Posted by Albert Breer at 4:57 pm

The Patriots, by all indications, came away impressed from Michigan’s Pro Day on Friday. So much so that team officials will take a second trip to Ann Arbor a week from today to work out top prospects LaMarr Woodley, Leon Hall and David Harris privately.

Woodley and Hall are both considered first-round prospects, and each seems to be a good fit for the way the Patriots play. Woodley is a big (6-2, 265) hybrid end/linebacker type who would be an ideal fit on the edge of the 3-4 (think Willie McGinest). At the Pro Day, Woodley ran a 4.71 40, posted a vertical leap of 38.5 inches and repped 29 times on the bench. Hall had a rough end to his junior season — with Dwayne Jarrett and Ted Ginn posting big games against him — and that had many questioning his speed. But Hall blazed a 4.39 40 at the combine, which alleviate many fears, and brings good size and physicality to his position, at 5-11, 193. Harris, on the other hand, is considered a prospect in Round 2 or 3, so it may take some manuevering to the Patriots to get him without having a second-round pick. But he’s another good 3-4 fit, with great playing strength and good size (6-2, 243). He ran a 4.53 and did 23 reps on the bench at the combine.

Meanwhile, the Patriots put Oklahoma LB Rufus Alexander through a private workout on the Norman campus today. Alexander is smaller (6-2, 228), but is plenty strong, having done 26 reps at 225 pounds, though his 40 was clocked at just 4.69. A very, very productive player, he’s considered a better fit for a Tampa-2 style of defense than the Patriots’ gap-control look and is likely to be off the board on the first day.

One more thing: We’re hearing the Patriots are also keeping a close eye on New Mexico G Rob Turner. He’s still recovering from a wrist injury, but will have a workout in April just before the draft and New England plans to be represented.

Undertaker #59 on 03-20-2007 at 08:30 AM said:
Here ya go, MGO:

March 19th, 2007
Wolverine hunting
Posted by Albert Breer at 4:57 pm

The Patriots, by all indications, came away impressed from Michigan’s Pro Day on Friday. So much so that team officials will take a second trip to Ann Arbor a week from today to work out top prospects LaMarr Woodley, Leon Hall and David Harris privately.

Woodley and Hall are both considered first-round prospects, and each seems to be a good fit for the way the Patriots play. Woodley is a big (6-2, 265) hybrid end/linebacker type who would be an ideal fit on the edge of the 3-4 (think Willie McGinest). At the Pro Day, Woodley ran a 4.71 40, posted a vertical leap of 38.5 inches and repped 29 times on the bench. Hall had a rough end to his junior season — with Dwayne Jarrett and Ted Ginn posting big games against him — and that had many questioning his speed. But Hall blazed a 4.39 40 at the combine, which alleviate many fears, and brings good size and physicality to his position, at 5-11, 193. Harris, on the other hand, is considered a prospect in Round 2 or 3, so it may take some manuevering to the Patriots to get him without having a second-round pick. But he’s another good 3-4 fit, with great playing strength and good size (6-2, 243). He ran a 4.53 and did 23 reps on the bench at the combine.

There should be at least one Wolverine drafted by the Pats, if not two.

And manuevering to get Harris?? It's simple... The Pats take Hall with their first pick and Harris with their second. Who cares if the "experts" think he should be a 2nd round pick. Take him in the first.

PFT's - 2007 MOCK DRAFT 4.0 - MARCH 21, 2007

1. Oakland Raiders: Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, offensive tackle, Wisconsin.

3. Cleveland Browns: JaMarcus Russell, quarterback, LSU.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Patrick Willis, linebacker, Mississippi

5. Arizona Cardinals: Gaines Adams, defensive end, Clemson.

6. Washington Redskins: Jamaal Anderson, defensive end, Arkansas.

7. Minnesota Vikings: Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

8. Atlanta Falcons (from Texans): Adrian Peterson, running back, Oklahoma.

9. Miami Dolphins: LaRon Landry, defensive back, LSU.

10. Houston Texans (from Falcons): Alan Branch, defensive tackle, Michigan.

11. San Francisco 49ers: Amobi Okoye, defensive tackle, Louisville.

12. Buffalo Bills: Marshawn Lynch, running back, California.

13. St. Louis Rams: Jarvis Moss, defensive end, Florida.

14. Carolina Panthers: Robert Meachem, wide receiver, Tennessee.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver, LSU.

16. Green Bay Packers: Leon Hall, cornerback, Michigan.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Levi Brown, offensive tackle, Penn State.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Ben Grubbs, guard, Auburn.

19. Tennessee Titans: Ted Ginn, Jr., wide receiver, Ohio State.

20. New York Giants: Aaron Ross, cornerback, Texas.

21. Denver Broncos: Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Arron Sears, offensive tackle, Tennessee.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Wright, cornerback, UNLV.

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): Reggie Nelson, defensive back, Florida.

25. New York Jets: Anthony Spencer, defensive end, Purdue.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Sidney Rice, wide receiver, South Carolina.

27. New Orleans Saints: Greg Olsen, tight end, Miami.

28. New England Patriots: Darrelle Revis, cornerback, Pitt.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Ryan Kalil, center, USC.

30. San Diego Chargers: Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Florida State.

31. Chicago Bears: Joe Staley, offensive tackle, Central Michigan.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Tony Ugoh, offensive tackle, Arkansas.

I'd rather the Pats grabbed Anthony Spencer and leave Nelson on the board at that point. I don't know if Nelson can flourish in a system as diversified as the Pats. He sounds like, (from what I've read) more of a pure read and react guy, which is fantastic in a system like the Colts run, but may cause him problems in a system like the Pats where so much of what they do is dictated by game plan and changes so much week to week.

Spencer supposedly is a "tweener" who could covert to a Colvin, Phillips type of OLB. (He is most often compared to them because they all played at Purdue)

Michigan's Woodley is a similar project but has the size BB likes so maybe a trade down would be in order.

I think that Nelson may still be there for the Pats' second pick if they really want him. Belichick and Pioli have had no problems finding quality Cornerbacks in the third round over the years. Unless the guy is a can't miss kid, I would be surprised to see a first rounder used on one. They may consider Revis a can't miss kid and pull the trigger though.

The problem I have with taking an Anthony Spencer in the first is the conversion time. I don't think Spencer is that exceptional a player that he could make the move to OLB in timely fashion, the same for Woodley, though Woods coming from the same system suggests they have a head start on other college kids. I think Spencer and Woodley both look better as 4-3 ends, not to mention Spencer stated he didn't care to be converted to 3-4 OLB.

My #1 LB target is Stewart Bradley from Nebraska, (6'4" 254) who was their SLB for three years, has DE and MLB reps in Spring Camps, and was a DB in High School. His read/react was very good during Senior Bowl week, he just needs more strength and better leverage technique. At that size he could go inside or outside.

My fantasy LB pick would be to have Adam Carriker, also of Nebraska, drop to where the Pats could get him, preferably at #16 for the 6 year contract. At 6'6" 295 his Combine change of direction numbers were better then many CBs and Ss, not to mention smaller LBs. I could see this kid taking Willie's old job next to Warren. The bonus would be that he could be a 3-4 DE playing the "Five Technique" if he didn't work out at OLB, no loss if the gamble doesn't pay off.

As for the first round, After Carriker, Revis, Hall, and maybe Okoye, I'm not too thrilled. I expect all four just listed will be long gone by #24 and we'll be scratching out heads trying to figure out how deep into the first day pool the Pats will dig.

Landry is the only 1st round Safety I'd consider, I want some beef at Safety and those lads are third round and later.

AllWorldTE on 03-24-2007 at 02:16 PM said:
I'd rather the Pats grabbed Anthony Spencer and leave Nelson on the board at that point. I don't know if Nelson can flourish in a system as diversified as the Pats. He sounds like, (from what I've read) more of a pure read and react guy, which is fantastic in a system like the Colts run, but may cause him problems in a system like the Pats where so much of what they do is dictated by game plan and changes so much week to week.

Spencer supposedly is a "tweener" who could covert to a Colvin, Phillips type of OLB. (He is most often compared to them because they all played at Purdue)

Michigan's Woodley is a similar project but has the size BB likes so maybe a trade down would be in order.

I think that Nelson may still be there for the Pats' second pick if they really want him. Belichick and Pioli have had no problems finding quality Cornerbacks in the third round over the years. Unless the guy is a can't miss kid, I would be surprised to see a first rounder used on one. They may consider Revis a can't miss kid and pull the trigger though.

My #1 LB target is Stewart Bradley from Nebraska, (6'4" 254) who was their SLB for three years, has DE and MLB reps in Spring Camps, and was a DB in High School. His read/react was very good during Senior Bowl week, he just needs more strength and better leverage technique. At that size he could go inside or outside.

This guy has BB type size for the inside LB position. I hadn't heard of him. He can probably put on another 10 to 15 Pounds putting him right where BB wants his Lbs. So many of the LBs I've seen listed are short (under 6'1) and light (under 240) that I don't see the Pats using a first on them. I was thinking of Woodley and Spencer because they have the size and would have the luxury of developing over time. Bradley may be able to solve the inside dilema though and would also have time to develop.

I read a few things about Carriker. He sounds like a stud. I wasn't aware that he was considered a candidate for OLB conversion though. Every thing I read had him as a 3-4 DE type. He certainly would bring a added size dimention to the position.

I don't know that anyone with any official NFL capacity has considered Carriker for OLB in a 3-4. Most folks who've looked at my thoughts were looking around for the retired linemen in white coats. Still, Mike Mayock showed a clip of Carriker dropping into the middle in a zone blitz, when you check his numbers...

Adam Carriker, 6-6 296, 4.90/40, 2.81/20, 1.60/10, 33/225, 33 1/2" vert, 9'2" broad, 4.18 ss, 7.06 3-cone
Pro-day: (6-6, 291) ran 4.73 and 4.72 in the 40

Patrick Willis, 6-1 242, 4.51/40, 2.62/20, 1.53/10, 22/225, 39" vert, 9'11" broad, 4.46 ss, 7.23 3-cone
Pro-day: (6-1, 237 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 and 4.38. He also had a 4.37 short shuttle and 7.10 three-cone

Paul Posluszny, 6-2 238, 4.70/40, 2.73/20, 1.56/10, 22/225, 37" vert, 9'8" broad, 4.20 ss, 6.94 3-cone
Pro-day: (6-1 ¼, 236) ran his 40s in 4.58 and 4.62

...Carriker 50+ lbs heavier has change of direction quickness that rivals NFLDraftScout.com's #1 ILB and #1 OLB. Willie McGinest is 6'5" 270, if Carriker can drop a few more pounds to speed himself up further, you've got a potential Willie Mac OLB - he's not too bad as it is. The nice thing about this, Carriker is the top candidate for the "5-technique" in this draft, should he not be able to transition to OLB, he's not a write-off like Klecko was for the Pats, he just goes back to DE, no waste.

Anyway, I'm goofy enough to look at him and see a LB, no telling what BB would think of the idea.
AllWorldTE on 03-24-2007 at 08:28 PM said:

This guy has BB type size for the inside LB position. I hadn't heard of him. He can probably put on another 10 to 15 Pounds putting him right where BB wants his Lbs. So many of the LBs I've seen listed are short (under 6'1) and light (under 240) that I don't see the Pats using a first on them. I was thinking of Woodley and Spencer because they have the size and would have the luxury of developing over time. Bradley may be able to solve the inside dilema though and would also have time to develop.

I read a few things about Carriker. He sounds like a stud. I wasn't aware that he was considered a candidate for OLB conversion though. Every thing I read had him as a 3-4 DE type. He certainly would bring a added size dimention to the position.

The more I think of Carriker, the more I like the idea. He would be a hell of a depth addition at DE and would have a year under his belt if he had to step in if Ty Warren was to move on in free agency next year.

AllWorldTE on 03-25-2007 at 01:53 PM said:
The more I think of Carriker, the more I like the idea. He would be a hell of a depth addition at DE and would have a year under his belt if he had to step in if Ty Warren was to move on in free agency next year.
Ty's rookie contract extends for two more seasons, but Ty himself needed two seasons, one platooning and one starting before he blossomed in his third. Whether Carriker is targeted for DE or OLB he'd be a nice addition - time to let Hill move on and see if he can blossom in a true DT role.

March 27th, 2007
Beason coming up
Posted by Albert Breer at 5:50 pm

According to a league source, Miami LB Jon Beason has been scheduled for an April trip to Gillette Stadium, making him the third known player to take one of the 20 in-house visits the team is allowed to stage. He joins Tennessee WR Robert Meachem and Purdue OLB/DE Anthony Spencer in that group.

At first blush, Beason looks like an ideal fit for as a Tampa-2 “will” linebacker, which in most cases would make him iffy for the Patriots’ gap-control system. But after coming in at 6-foot and 237 pounds at the Combine, while clocking a 4.6 40-yard dash, New England has shown strong interest, having worked him out privately after the Hurricanes’ Pro Day in Coral Gables. His athleticism is key, especially considering the team’s struggles in covering tight ends down the seam and in the hook-to-curl zones over the last two years. He would project to the inside in the Patriots’ system, as he spent all of college — after converting early from fullback — as an off-the-line ‘backer.

Beason has close to 10 visits set up, and has steadily risen up draft boards after projecting into the second round at the beginning of the process. About half of the linebacker’s scheduled visits are with teams drafting above the Patriots’ first first-round pick (24th overall). He’ll also have another workout for about 15 teams in Coral Gables on April 5.

Patriots Draft: Pioli Finds A Sleeper
Patriots Personnel man Scott Pioli By PatriotsInsider.com
Posted Mar 29, 2007
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=62&p=2&c=631037

New England Patriots VP of Player Personnel, Scott Pioli is among a group of scouts, coaches and front office types who made the trip west to take a closer look at NFL Draft hopefuls in California. Pioli may have found a "sleeper" while there. The Pats and the Jets are making a return trip to put this "hot" prospect through a personal workout.

Scout.com's Tony Pauline reported that several big-name coaches were on hand to check out USC's Pro Day in southern California Wednesday. The main attractions of the event were Dwayne Jarrett, Ryan Kalil and Steve Smith who are projected as first day picks in the coming Draft.

New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, New England Patriots general manager Scott Pioli and Randy Mueller of the Miami Dolphins were on hand and are expected to make another stop at Hawaii's Pro Day today, before heading home. But Pioli and the Patriots will return to USC for a closer look at one of USC's defensive prospects, linebacker Dallas Sartz.

According to Pauline, the 6-foot-5, 232-pound Sartz ran his forties anywhere between 4.58-and-4.61 seconds. His turned in a 33-inch vertical jump and posted a broad jump of 9-feet-6-inches.

Sartz will work out for the Patriots Friday, and again for the New York Jets within the next few days.

The buzz surrounding Sartz's workouts at the Pro Day and at the Combine, is that he could work his way into the first day of the Draft. With a thin crop of outside linebackers available in April's draft, the Patriots are one of a group of teams interested in finding athletic players who can play multiple positions in their system. Sartz may be one of those players and because of his strong performances he may command a higher draft pick than in years

Prospect Profile: Dallas Sartz, 6'-5", 238 lbs. OLB

Scouting Report:
Biography: Posted 70/9.5/7 as a senior, when he received All-Conference mention. Played in two games the prior season before a dislocated shoulder ended his campaign. Moved into the starting lineup as a freshman and posted 60/6/2.

Pos: Patient linebacker best on the strong side. Instinctive, reads the action and remains disciplined with assignments. Efficient, takes good angles to the action and works to get involved.

Neg: Limited lateral range and does not possess a good change of direction. Lacks playing speed and has marginal skills in coverage

Back