Merged (thrice) Cassel to KC per NFL Network

We traded our backup QB and an aging OLB who probably lost a step this past season for a high 2nd round pick + almost 18 million bucks in cap relief. Yes, please. Great deal.

Chiefs fans (and Florio) thinking we somehow got screwed in this deal are delusional. Both sides walk away happy in this deal. At the end of the day, our QB is still Tom freaking Brady.

I just can't see how both Vrabel and Cassel are together, worth merely an early 2nd round pick.

its simply that the pats thought there would be a higher market for cassel and there really wasnt. They want to make a run at peppers, needed draft picks and space and KC wasnt willing to deal a near first rounder for cassel straight up. If peppers were to come he will probably play LB in a 3/4 and the Pats would have a spot for him.

In any case the sudden jump in several positions salary averages made the Pats realize that they couldnt afford to have two QB's at those prices. they had to trade him. maybe they plan on making a run at a cornerback like Bryan Mcfadden as well. CB prices are through the roof right now. Its still a gamble that Brady will be without setback, but they probably could bring in a vet at a lot less than cassel money in that case.

its simply that the pats thought there would be a higher market for cassel and there really wasnt. They want to make a run at peppers, needed draft picks and space and KC wasnt willing to deal a near first rounder for cassel straight up. If peppers were to come he will probably play LB in a 3/4 and the Pats would have a spot for him.

In any case the sudden jump in several positions salary averages made the Pats realize that they couldnt afford to have two QB's at those prices. they had to trade him. maybe they plan on making a run at a cornerback like Bryan Mcfadden as well. CB prices are through the roof right now. Its still a gamble that Brady will be without setback, but they probably could bring in a vet at a lot less than cassel money in that case.

I disagree. I am sure BB and his crew knew exactly what the market for Cassel was before placing the tag on him. They also know what a top 5 drafted QB would make and figured that in their plan as well. Only time will tell what the grand master plan is and fans may never know the true ins and outs of the deals that end up being cemented.

We traded our backup QB and an aging OLB who probably lost a step this past season for a high 2nd round pick + almost 18 million bucks in cap relief. Yes, please. Great deal.

Chiefs fans (and Florio) thinking we somehow got screwed in this deal are delusional. Both sides walk away happy in this deal. At the end of the day, our QB is still Tom freaking Brady.

SO it's confirmed that we got the second round pick?

MOST spot on post too. +1!:thumb:

I mean i really thought they planned to hold on to him throught the start of the season or at least training camp just in case because you know as soon as the first couple starting qb injuries happen there is a huge market for a guy like cassel, but they needed the cap room and picks right now, for several reasons stated above and had to make a deal.

Peter King is reporting that the deal is Cassel + Vrabel for the 34th pick in the draft on cnnsi

still not officail as a 2nd and possible third team involved

could it be Pats get the no. 3 pick plus....KC gets Pappers and teh Panthers Get Cassel

reaching here to sound smart if it ever happened

still not officail as a 2nd and possible third team involved

could it be Pats get the no. 3 pick plus....KC gets Pappers and teh Panthers Get Cassel

reaching here to sound smart if it ever happened

Mikie it's just as valid as the rest of the speculation at this point.

well a 2nd rounder isn't bad, i was honestly hoping for more but however like others have stated we are now almost 18 million under the cap with 3 2nd round draft picks and a TON of flexibility.

I mean i really thought they planned to hold on to him throught the start of the season or at least training camp just in case because you know as soon as the first couple starting qb injuries happen there is a huge market for a guy like cassel, but they needed the cap room and picks right now, for several reasons stated above and had to make a deal.

I'm guessing Belichick never intended to keep Cassel and his 14 million on the cap And he is making a swift move. So he can start signing a couple of key free agents, I'll bet.....and soon.

I think we'll be chewing on about 4 or 5 big/fairly big names soon. So far, Vrabel and Cassel. In a few hours, a couple of free agent acquisitions, and the possibility of picking a plum name or two in the draft....

TB better be damn healthy is all I got to say to play for the 2009 season

:p

Pepper supposedly will only play for 4 teams. he told the Panthers he would only accept a trade to 3 specific NFC teams, one of which was Dallas, and 1 specific AFC team, which is speculated to be the Pats

I'm waiting for The Master, Adam Scheffler of nfl.com, to give the final trade considerations. He's right more than anybody else about this stuff......

well a 2nd rounder isn't bad, i was honestly hoping for more but however like others have stated we are now almost 18 million under the cap with 3 2nd round draft picks and a TON of flexibility.

We've got more than 18 million in cap room now. How much more is the question. Maybe around 20 after the Taylor and Baker signings.

Peter King is reporting that the deal is Cassel + Vrabel for the 34th pick in the draft on cnnsi

Read this bullshit by Peter King.

My take: Bill Belichick either didn't get a better offer, or he did one of his best friends, Pioli, a favor with a player Belichick wanted to put in a good situation; Belichick is very fond of Cassel. It would not be surprising to see Belichick make the deal with Pioli because both were trained under Bill Parcells, and Parcells always made sure he watched out for his lieutenants and helped them whenever it didn't hurt him

I don't know BB personally Peter. But I think it is safe to say that he will do the most to help his team and leave the fondness out of the deal.

The last word I've heard / read is that Cassel is not signed yet. Does anyone else think that the 2nd rounder is due to this and that once the Chiefs sign him there could be another conditional pick coming to the Pats?

Also, with the talk of a third team being involved, is anyone else worried that SP may just play the middle man and send him to the Rats for more than he gave up?

I'm guessing Belichick never intended to keep Cassel and his 14 million on the cap And he is making a swift move. So he can start signing a couple of key free agents, I'll bet.....and soon.

I think we'll be chewing on about 4 or 5 big/fairly big names soon. So far, Vrabel and Cassel. In a few hours, a couple of free agent acquisitions, and the possibility of picking a plum name or two in the draft....

I think you guys were hoping to target a free agent CB, and there are only a couple left worthy of being a playoff team starter. Maybe Bodden MCCalister or MacFadden, all of which seem close to signing somewhere.

Ah yes, the milky sweet tones of Peter King. Oozing with his self-importance.

Back