Mike Mayock Basically Creates a Patriots Mock Draft During his Press Conference

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
I'll always perk up when NFL Network's Mike Mayock ever talks about the New England Patriots. He's one of the draft analysts that head coach Bill Belichick clearly respects and probably speaks to on a regular basis. Mayock played under Belichick from 1982-83 with the Giants and the two have remained in contact.

So when you read what Mayock says about the Patriots draft needs and potential fits, put it in the context that he knows his stuff. Mayock had interesting thoughts about the Patriots possible options at the end of the 2nd round.

"They probably have to be looking at some offensive linemen," Mayock opened. "And obviously they got beat up this year badly up front. They started or played -- they had three rookies play significant time in that interior offensive line, one of whom didn't even get invited to the combine last year, Shaq Mason. So they could be looking at a tackle in that spot.

"I think they have to be looking on the back end with the way they process through defensive backs. And I think the wide receiver position has got to continue to be upgraded. I mean, their best receiver is an inside receiver, and I think he'd really like to get a significant threat on the outside.

"So with all that being said, at wideout at the back end of the second round, would Will Fuller from Notre Dame be sitting there or Josh Doctson be there? They already have a great slot in Edelman, so they're looking for an outside guy that can be a difference maker in the second or third round.

"Rashard Higgins maybe from Colorado State in third round, and then when you start talking about defensive backs, the corners in the late two, late three range, I keep talking about this Jackson from Houston. I really like him, William Jackson. He can play off, he can play press. I think his value is going to begin to escalate the closer we get to the draft, but he's a long press corner that can play off, and I think the Patriots always value guys that are versatile.

"Xavien Howard from Baylor, another long corner with really good tape and really bad tape, but a gifted kid, maybe a late third -round pick. Jalen Mills from LSU has some versatility both inside and outside, corner and safety. I think all of those guys are kind of interesting conversations regarding the Patriots."
There's a lot to digest here, so let's break it down.

Mayock notes three big holes for the Patriots to fill are at offensive tackle, wide receiver, and cornerback. These happen to be the exact same three positions that ESPN's Mel Kiper highlighted in his press conference, so there's probably some league scuttle about New England directing the conversation.

Tackle isn't a surprise as Sebastian Vollmer ages and the line play was horrendous in 2015, and wide receiver is an evergreen suggestion for the Patriots that will always spark interest. Mocking an unheralded defensive back to the Patriots in the 2nd round is also now an acceptable trope that we have to accept.

But I think it's interesting that Mayock seems to be more open on the cornerback position than any other.

Jackson, Howard, and Mills are all regarded as possible 2nd round picks, which leads me to believe that Mayock is suggesting the following course of action for the Patriots.
1) Does a blue chip wide receiver fall down the draft board? Both Doctson and Fuller are in Mayock's top 5 positional rankings. If so, the Patriots would be happy to jump at the opportunity.

2) If a blue chip wide receiver isn't there, the Patriots will probably pick one up in the third round, and instead use their draft pick on a cornerback.

3) The Patriots will probably use a third round pick on a high-upside developmental offensive tackle.
So assuming that the Patriots will pick 60th (2nd round), 92nd (3rd round), and 97th (3rd round compensatory for Darrelle Revis), we can make the following mock draft:
60th: Houston CB William Jackson III - The 6'1, 195 lbs ball magnet seems to be the perfect fit in the Patriots secondary. He can press, he can play zone, he has a penchant for swatting the ball away, and he can turn his head. If he's the eventual replacement for Logan Ryan, should Ryan depart in free agency, then the Patriots will be in good hands. Other players like Louisiana State's Jalen Mills, Miami's Artie Burns, Baylor's Xavien Howard, and Southeastern Louisiana's Harlan Miller could fit. Howard and Miller are possible 3rd round names if a blue chip receiver falls.

92nd: Southern Mississippi WR Mike Thomas - Thomas also sits at 6'1, 195 lbs and he's a typical Patriots wide receiver pick. He's an athletic phenom, but he also runs great routes and can carry an offense. He's someone that could buck the Patriots trend of drafting wide receiver busts. Other players like Colorado State's Rashard Higgins, Tulsa's Keyarris Garrett, Michigan State's Aaron Burbridge, Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell, Southeast Missouri's Paul McRoberts, and Massachusett's Tajae Sharpe could fit.

97th: North Dakota State OT Joe Haeg - Haeg is a perfect high-upside tackle prospect that could do well with a year in an NFL program before assuming a starting role. He's a dominant player that's proficient in both pass protection and run blocking, but he could benefit from some time to adjust to a higher level of competition. Other players like Lousisiana State's Jerald Hawkins, Stanford's Kyle Murphy, Georgia's John Theus, Western Michigan's Willie Beavers, Baylor's Spencer Drango, and Cincinnati's Parker Ehinger could fit as well.
So, there you have it. A three round Patriots mock draft with players that fit with New England based upon Mayock's insight. I'm starting to like this draft a lot.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/2/24...reates-a-patriots-mock-draft-during-his-press

CcQKW36W8AA4X2I.jpg

Doug Kyed ‏<s>@</s>DougKyed

Some names to remember for the Patriots at WR based on measureables: Doctson, Braxton, Jalin Thomas, Cajuste.

In the 2016 draft thread I put how I loved Doctson. Maybe it's like buying a red car and all you see is red cars, but every single draft person I have heard since has brought him up as awesome. He's not fast but he's smooth and he's a fluid natural hands catcher. Pretty good size too. People always talk about how they hate the gauntlet drill, but I love it. The Pats offense is a lot of shorter passes that get on you quick, and I think the gauntlet does a good job of showing how a guy may react to that.

In the 2016 draft thread I put how I loved Doctson. Maybe it's like buying a red car and all you see is red cars, but every single draft person I have heard since has brought him up as awesome. He's not fast but he's smooth and he's a fluid natural hands catcher. Pretty good size too. People always talk about how they hate the gauntlet drill, but I love it. The Pats offense is a lot of shorter passes that get on you quick, and I think the gauntlet does a good job of showing how a guy may react to that.

<table id="post2331707" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_2331707" style="border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC">Josh Doctson, WR, Texas Christian 6-2, 202. Top 45 pick.

Caught 35 passes as a true freshman at Wyoming before transferring. Great hands. He may have the best hands of the bunch. Late-season wrist injury that required surgery concerns some teams. Compares well to Laquon Treadwell 25 picks later. Preliminary looks tell me this guy could work very well for the Pats.

Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh 6-1, 197. mid to late 2nd round but rising.

Established school records with 254 receptions and 3,361 yards (13.2) in three seasons. Very smooth and fluid mover. Good hands & good route runner. He had a chance to be in the latter part of the first but he ran a disappointing 4.58 in the 40. Reminds me of Jerry Rice the way he moves and executes his fakes.

Braxton Miller, WR/QB, Oohi St. 6'1", 200. mid to late 2nd round.
Lots of 'experts' are linking the Pats to Miller & I can see that easily.
Extraordinary athleticism and speed with sudden, explosive cutting ability. Tremendous balance and body control in all of his movements. Multiple gears to separate in his routes or as a ballcarrier. Understands how to vary his patterns to set up defenders before bursting in different directions. Vision to be a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball.
In his one season as a receiver, showed the locating ability to track and keep his focus through the catch. Capable of the acrobatic reception. As a QB Miller has a strong arm as a passer and spins a pretty ball. Deceiving body strength to squirm out of would-be tackles. Highly productive three-year quarterback and looked natural making the transition to WR in 2015 - versatile player who affected the game as a receiver and rusher. Mature leader and determined individual who wants to be great.

But he's raw as a route-runner and lacks experience at the receiver position. Needs work with his footwork, especially at the stem of patterns. Natural hands but had some bad drops in 2015 especially with the fastball.

I'll have more on WRs for this draft later. However, I'd much prefer a veteran FA WR who has already proven he can do the job at the NFL level to a draftee.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" style="border-right: 1px solid #CCCCCC" valign="bottom">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; border-top: 0px"> </td> <td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

William Jackson III with our 2nd would be a dream for me. But I would be astounded if he made it to 60. Especially after the combine he had. I'd even be a bit surprised if he made it out of the first round.

Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh 6-1, 197. mid to late 2nd round but rising.

Established school records with 254 receptions and 3,361 yards (13.2) in three seasons. Very smooth and fluid mover. Good hands & good route runner. He had a chance to be in the latter part of the first but he ran a disappointing 4.58 in the 40. Reminds me of Jerry Rice the way he moves and executes his fakes.

Braxton Miller, WR/QB, Oohi St. 6'1", 200. mid to late 2nd round.
Lots of 'experts' are linking the Pats to Miller & I can see that easily.
Extraordinary athleticism and speed with sudden, explosive cutting ability. Tremendous balance and body control in all of his movements. Multiple gears to separate in his routes or as a ballcarrier. Understands how to vary his patterns to set up defenders before bursting in different directions. Vision to be a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball.
In his one season as a receiver, showed the locating ability to track and keep his focus through the catch. Capable of the acrobatic reception. As a QB Miller has a strong arm as a passer and spins a pretty ball. Deceiving body strength to squirm out of would-be tackles. Highly productive three-year quarterback and looked natural making the transition to WR in 2015 - versatile player who affected the game as a receiver and rusher. Mature leader and determined individual who wants to be great.

But he's raw as a route-runner and lacks experience at the receiver position. Needs work with his footwork, especially at the stem of patterns. Natural hands but had some bad drops in 2015 especially with the fastball.

I'll have more on WRs for this draft later. However, I'd much prefer a veteran FA WR who has already proven he can do the job at the NFL level to a draftee.
</td>

Boyd may not make the most sense. If we go by the measurables. But at Pitt he was more productive than Larry Fitzgerald and only behind Tony Dorsett in all-time yards from scrimmage for the school. Those are some big time names to be associated with in the record books.

Manock is a great guy and analyst. He's worth all the NFL Network "analysts" put together. They're way beneath his knowledge.

William Jackson III with our 2nd would be a dream for me. But I would be astounded if he made it to 60. Especially after the combine he had. I'd even be a bit surprised if he made it out of the first round.
unless Bill gets to him and tells him to act like an ass promising to pick him at 60 and allow him to win right away.

[/foilhat]

I appreciate Mayock, he is truly one of the better analysts prospects wise. But really guys, NOBODY knows WTF Belichick will do. We need WR, TE, OL, RB and could use some DBs, and watch him draft a Dlineman with our first pick (2nd round unfortunately). Also, Free Agency sets up the draft, we have no idea what BB will do in FA, but it will certainly affect how and who he drafts. If he signs 3 WRs, I doubt he will use a high pick on a WR, but then who the hell knows, only BB knows.

I appreciate Mayock, he is truly one of the better analysts prospects wise. But really guys, NOBODY knows WTF Belichick will do. We need WR, TE, OL, RB and could use some DBs, and watch him draft a Dlineman with our first pick (2nd round unfortunately). Also, Free Agency sets up the draft, we have no idea what BB will do in FA, but it will certainly affect how and who he drafts. If he signs 3 WRs, I doubt he will use a high pick on a WR, but then who the hell knows, only BB knows.

This should be a given...

Now that I've started to study the draft a little, Mayock's mini mock makes a fair bit of sense.

Nobody should be shocked if we draft a corner high even though it would appear we are pretty well set with Butler, Ryan and maybe the kid from Marshall who got hurt last year, but--- maybe Ryan isn't the wonder boy he appeared to be about halfway through last season and just because we are all thinking "address the needs" doesn't mean Bill will be.

Anyhow, everybody knows we will draft another Safety with our top pick. You could hang your hat on it. Its become an annual event like the swallows returning to Capistrano. And we're going to keep on doing it until we find a couple of players and, so far, no luck with all the 2nd round no-name reaches that everybody claims (after we pick them) are evidence of Bill's drafting acumen until we realize that there was a a good reason why everybody had them ranked way back in the pack.

Mayock's speculation on Joe Haeg seems pretty strong, though. He's got "feet like a dancer" according to one scout and could be a "bargain" with a year of seasoning. I feel pretty sure we'll draft at least one OT somewhere along the line and it does seem to be a fairly deep crop of guys that might fit with us.

92nd: Southern Mississippi WR Mike Thomas - Thomas also sits at 6'1, 195 lbs and he's a typical Patriots wide receiver pick. He's an athletic phenom, but he also runs great routes and can carry an offense. He's someone that could buck the Patriots trend of drafting wide receiver busts. Other players like Colorado State's Rashard Higgins, Tulsa's Keyarris Garrett, Michigan State's Aaron Burbridge, Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell, Southeast Missouri's Paul McRoberts, and Massachusett's Tajae Sharpe could fit.
With respect to the athleticism of the WRs in this draft:

I haven't run the numbers yet but watching video tells me that Higgins, McRoberts and Sharpe aren't athletic enough to meet BB's requirements.

S.Miss's Mike Thomas & Georgia's Mitchell show well & probably do have the athleticism for BB; Garrett is borderline but he could make the grade.

I think Mayock went a bit overboard by calling SMiss's Mike Thomas (not to be confused with Ohio State's Mike Thomas) an athletic phenom. Thomas's play and story reminds me a lot of Kenbrell Thompkins's story and play. He should make BB's athletic requirements just as KT did and just like KT, Mike Thomas is projected to be a 7th rnd/UDFA pick. He is, however, a more polished route runner than KT was. Tommy will be happy with the KT comparison. ;)

My athleticism rankings (table stakes for BB)
1. Josh Doctson (TCU) is the best athlete of this draft with
2. Ricardo Louis (Auburn) a very close 2nd. Both are 6'2", Doctson is 200lbs and Louis is 215lbs.

3. Trevor Davis (Calif) comes in 3rd place from my notes but he's a little smaller at 6'1", 188.

4. Devon Cajuste (Stanford) despite his poor 40 time. 6'3",235
5. Chris Moore (Cincinnati) 6'1", 204
6. Sterling Shepherd (Oklahoma) 5'10", 195
7. Marquez North (Tenn) 6'2.5",225
8. Mike Thomas (Ohio St.) 6'2.5",225

Malcolm Mitchell, Braxton Miller and Will Fuller cluster in the next group although these are also very good athletes who should make BB's requirements.

I'll try to run the numbers tomorrow.

Chevs. What's your take on WR Cararoo (spelling is most likely off)???

I've decided my NFL draft prognostics is horrible. Cararoo gets a lot of pub but I don't see it.

I like cajuste because he makes plays but would imagine he plays against defenses aligned for run defense. Read a misguided report earlier that he had 4.3 speed for the forty. He is the same size as some TEs. Not sure what to think of him.

Chevs. What's your take on WR Cararoo (spelling is most likely off)???

I've decided my NFL draft prognostics is horrible. Cararoo gets a lot of pub but I don't see it.

I like cajuste because he makes plays but would imagine he plays against defenses aligned for run defense. Read a misguided report earlier that he had 4.3 speed for the forty. He is the same size as some TEs. Not sure what to think of him.

Carroo plays a notch less athletically than Miller, Mitchell and Will Fuller but he's adequate to play the flex WR position. He's got the Rutgers thing going for him but I think this is the year BB transitions away from Rutgers back to Bama as well as more towards Ohio St. Both teams have a lot of good players in this draft.

Cajuste ran a slow 4.62 40 (1.6 & 2.7 10 and 20 yd splits) but his phenomenal 6.49 3cone was the fastest of the WRs realizing that Treadwell (everybody's #1 WR) and 5 others didn't run the 3 cone. Still, 6.49 for a 6'3.5" 325 lb WR is really good and may be just the kind of intermediate zone WR who could help Brady stretch the field outside the numbers. He doesn't have the speed for go routes but he has the stop & go quickness to make a smaller CB play off of him which will help him gain separation. For comparison, Trevor Davis (Calif) ran a 4.42 40 but a 6.94 3cone carrying 46 fewer lbs. and Will Fuller (NDame) ran a 4.32 (fastest WR time) 40 but a 6.93 3cone carrying 48 fewer lbs. BB loves his 3cone drill and for a big guy, Cajuste's number explodes off the page.

Athleticism weeds out most of BB's WR candidates before the full evaluation even begins. I'll begin evaluating in earnest in the next 10 days.

I'd still rather the Pats sign a proven veteran FA WR with Marvin Jones being my fav but there are other options if he's too much $$$ for BB.

Carroo plays a notch less athletically than Miller, Mitchell and Will Fuller but he's adequate to play the flex WR position. He's got the Rutgers thing going for him but I think this is the year BB transitions away from Rutgers back to Bama as well as more towards Ohio St. Both teams have a lot of good players in this draft.

Cajuste ran a slow 4.62 40 (1.6 & 2.7 10 and 20 yd splits) but his phenomenal 6.49 3cone was the fastest of the WRs realizing that Treadwell (everybody's #1 WR) and 5 others didn't run the 3 cone. Still, 6.49 for a 6'3.5" 325 lb WR is really good and may be just the kind of intermediate zone WR who could help Brady stretch the field outside the numbers. He doesn't have the speed for go routes but he has the stop & go quickness to make a smaller CB play off of him which will help him gain separation. For comparison, Trevor Davis (Calif) ran a 4.42 40 but a 6.94 3cone carrying 46 fewer lbs. and Will Fuller (NDame) ran a 4.32 (fastest WR time) 40 but a 6.93 3cone carrying 48 fewer lbs. BB loves his 3cone drill and for a big guy, Cajuste's number explodes off the page.

Athleticism weeds out most of BB's WR candidates before the full evaluation even begins. I'll begin evaluating in earnest in the next 10 days.

I'd still rather the Pats sign a proven veteran FA WR with Marvin Jones being my fav but there are other options if he's too much $$$ for BB.

Cajuste is my pick at 60 for the Pats.

New move TE.

Compare his numbers to APerp.

Granted his BP number is low, but long arms and glorified receiver will account.

Let's solve that second TE spot since one went dust-happy.

Back