Moar Fullbacks?

INPatFan

Reaction score
I've watched most of the breakdowns out there, and Devlin killed it in the playoffs. How many teams will be running (or attempting to) the Patriots' run offense next year?

I've watched most of the breakdowns out there, and Devlin killed it in the playoffs. How many teams will be running (or attempting to) the Patriots' run offense next year?
Probably none.

FBs aren't playmakers. They aren't a threat to bust one every time they touch the ball.

The Pats have been dominant since 2001 and people still derisively call it a dink and dunk offense. The fact that long, move-the-chains drives that tire out a defense and make the Pats O own the fourth quarter is irrelevant.

The PigPorker isn't the only guy who loves instant offense and stats, who is satisfied with lots of deep passes to generate lots of offense. 50 TDs, 5000 yards. That's what people want. Fans and most GMs it seems.

All I hear is the NFL is a copycat league. It is strange that other teams wouldn't want to try to copy what actually makes a team successful, you know, like getting to the Superbowl every other year on average.

All I hear is the NFL is a copycat league. It is strange that other teams wouldn't want to try to copy what actually makes a team successful, you know, like getting to the Superbowl every other year on average.

I'd say 'a couple', but only teams who have head coaches with experience. Any of the McVay Crew wouldn't know what to do with a fullback if they had one.

The Ravens have played more fullback than most teams and since they've (foolishly) handed the reins to Lamar Jackson it'd be interesting to see what they could do with a QB that runs better than most of the tailbacks in the league if they had a mobile FB to help spring him. Crafty Jon Harbawel could invent the Run or Other Run Option (ROORO) offense.

Maybe I should put the adjective "temporarily" in front of interesting, because I see him as as a guy that is so good with his feet you can win games with in the short term, but he is going to get his head or his joints stove in before long and then they'll be truly fucked.

It's not even a doubt. Just a matter of when.

Yeah, I hear that, too, but how long has BB been drafting smart players and team captains while almost all the other teams focus on 'playmakers?'

The Ravens have played more fullback than most teams and since they've (foolishly) handed the reins to Lamar Jackson it'd be interesting to see what they could do with a QB that runs better than most of the tailbacks in the league if they had a mobile FB to help spring him. Crafty Jon Harbawel could invent the Run or Other Run Option (ROORO) offense.

Maybe I should put the adjective "temporarily" in front of interesting, because I see him as as a guy that is so good with his feet you can win games with in the short term, but he is going to get his head or his joints stove in before long and then they'll be truly fucked.

It's not even a doubt. Just a matter of when.

Agree.

I just can’t imagine an offense with a predominately run QB and subjecting him to, for example, that playoff play where Elandon Roberts shoots the gap and blows up Gordon of the Chargers. Only it’s your QB. And he’s expected to run the offense again in seconds.

Agree.

I just can’t imagine an offense with a predominately run QB and subjecting him to, for example, that playoff play where Elandon Roberts shoots the gap and blows up Gordon of the Chargers. Only it’s your QB. And he’s expected to run the offense again in seconds.

I see what Baltimore did as a pure desperation I'm-about-to-get-fired move by Harbaugh and it worked for the short-term. He kept his job for the time being.

Now, Jackson has a fine arm and can sling it, so there is a possibility that he can develop as a QB and keep himself in one piece, but what we saw versus the Chargers in the playoffs is a long way from that. He was awful, which is the way he always looks when he has to throw and the D knows it. He needs a ton of improvement of he's going to get killed and Harbaugh is going to get fired.

I just don't know how you put your entire franchise on a guy like Jackson. It's such a longshot that he can develop enough as a passer to make his outstanding running ability the strategic complement it should be.

Sucks to be them, I guess. I find myself rooting for Jackson while at the same time hoping that Harbaugh fails miserably.

I see what Baltimore did as a pure desperation I'm-about-to-get-fired move by Harbaugh and it worked for the short-term. He kept his job for the time being.

Now, Jackson has a fine arm and can sling it, so there is a possibility that he can develop as a QB and keep himself in one piece, but what we saw versus the Chargers in the playoffs is a long way from that. He was awful, which is the way he always looks when he has to throw and the D knows it. He needs a ton of improvement of he's going to get killed and Harbaugh is going to get fired.

I just don't know how you put your entire franchise on a guy like Jackson. It's such a longshot that he can develop enough as a passer to make his outstanding running ability the strategic complement it should be.

Sucks to be them, I guess. I find myself rooting for Jackson while at the same time hoping that Harbaugh fails miserably.

I’d think you’d need 3 similar style guys. You’re starter obviously a cut above. But maybe too more of a similar skill set and style, any of which capable of running a distinct offense.

Maybe that’s how this game evolves.

Back