Moar Playoffs?!?!

Hell, I love this idea. 1 less preseason game and 1 more reg season game. What's not to like about this? More games to enjoy! Even better, this will potentially extend the season another couple of weeks so that the SB is played on the Sunday before the Presidents Day holiday. We've all talked about how great it would be if the day after the SB were a work free day. I'm on board.

Yeah, cause 8-8 or 7-9 even screams potential Lombardi.

Cuban was right.

Pigs at the trough.

I don't agree. Making us suffer through 4 preseason games (and making ticket holders pay for them) is pigs at the trough. That didn't kill the game. Swapping a dull meaningless preseason game for a reg season game is a no brainer. Bring it on!

I don't agree. Making us suffer through 4 preseason games (and making ticket holders pay for them) is pigs at the trough. That didn't kill the game. Swapping a dull meaningless preseason game for a reg season game is a no brainer. Bring it on!

As far as paying for the preseason games, it's not as bad as it used to be.
Until a couple of years ago, all games, including the preseason, were priced the same. That has been changed and ticket prices are now tiered. Preseason games were lowered and there are 3 different tiers for regular season games, 4 games at a moderate price, 2-3 games at a 2nd level and 1-2 games at a premium level. For the season tickets holders, we really only care about the overall package price.

Removing 1 preseason game will have an unpredicted impact on the overall package. There will be some seasons where we have 1 home preseason game, others where we have 2 (meaning 9 total home games vs 10 total home games). It's a guarantee that owners will adjust the overall prices to compensate for the loss of one preseason home game which will mean lost revenue for advertising, parking, concessions, etc.

We're going to pay for it one way or another.

As far as the playoff format is concerned, that's been on the table for a couple of years, people have had plenty of time to digest it. I don't like the loss of a playoff bye. It is what it is.

When you have a PERFECT mathematical model and you start tweaking it for yet even more $ it’s not for the best interest of the game or the product. It’s this years attempt at satiating the endless greed. If profits aren’t increasing they aren’t happy.

What’s next? Because something most definitely will be.

When you have a PERFECT mathematical model and you start tweaking it for yet even more $ it’s not for the best interest of the game or the product. It’s this years attempt at satiating the endless greed. If profits aren’t increasing they aren’t happy.

What’s next? Because something most definitely will be.

It wasn't perfect in 2008 when the Pats missed the POs with an 11 win season.
Besides, I like watching football.

at one time 4 preseason games were needed, that ended in the mid to late 80's. even three PS games are too much. I think one home, one away Preseason game is fine with joint practices.

but how do you do a 17 game schedule with balanced home away games? strength of schedule is unfair if your division is won by someone with an extra home game.

so jump to 18 or keep it at 16.

as for the bye, huge benefit to the one team getting it

It wasn't perfect in 2008 when the Pats missed the POs with an 11 win season.
Besides, I like watching football.

You point to one anomaly that’s happened like twice.

The reality is you’re going to routinely have a 2 seed playing a 8-8 or 7-9 7 seed now.

That’s not improving the product. Especially when said 2 seed suffers a major injury.

at one time 4 preseason games were needed, that ended in the mid to late 80's. even three PS games are too much. I think one home, one away Preseason game is fine with joint practices.

but how do you do a 17 game schedule with balanced home away games? strength of schedule is unfair if your division is won by someone with an extra home game.

so jump to 18 or keep it at 16.

as for the bye, huge benefit to the one team getting it

Each team will play 1 game at a neutral site, presumably places such as London, Mexico City, etc. There will be no official home team. Owners would likely evenly split the revenues.

Me liberal, turned reactionary, say leave it alone. I hate change. They'll expect me to adapt and conform. :harumph:

Cheers, BostonTim

Every year a 14-2 or 13-3 excellent team will lose their bye in order to bring in an 8-8 or (gulp) 7-9 team.

Remember, we ONLY win Lombardi’s with byes. And half of those were as 2 seeds.

Direct impact.

It blows.

The NFL playoff system was about as perfect as it can get when involving human beings. The owners will eventually kill the golden goose. They're working hard at it. :spock:

Every year a 14-2 or 13-3 excellent team will lose their bye in order to bring in an 8-8 or (gulp) 7-9 team.

Remember, we ONLY win Lombardi’s with byes. And half of those were as 2 seeds.

Direct impact.

It blows.

Exactly why I hate this change.

Hurley lays it out really well here https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/02...eason-changing-playoff-format-no-real-reason/.

"The real issue at hand is the elimination of the second first-round bye in each conference. That’s a change that can monumentally change football history, and likely in an unfair way.

The problem, you see, is that teams do not play the same schedules. As such, the degree of difficulty in going, say, 13-3, is not the same for Team A and Team B. In one season, Team A might face teams with a collective winning percentage of .450, while Team B might face teams with a collective winning percentage of .530. Team A might stack up 13 wins against that weak schedule, while Team B might finish the year with “just” 12 wins."

I feel like this is a "everybody gets a participation trophy". I like the idea of one more regular season game, but the extra playoff participant? They can keep it imo.

It's like the Chefs whining about not getting chance to score in over time. To me it's no different.

I feel like this is a "everybody gets a participation trophy". I like the idea of one more regular season game, but the extra playoff participant? They can keep it imo.

It's like the Chefs whining about not getting chance to score in over time. To me it's no different.

This is not really a "participation" move, strictly money driven. Two more playoff games adds up to a lot more money for the league and owners.

This is not really a "participation" move, strictly money driven. Two more playoff games adds up to a lot more money for the league and owners.
its all about the money!!!

killer idea nfl

giphy.gif

Not really much money considering it does not add another week just another game for each weekend. Unless they are going to add a monday night playoff game.

Not really much money considering it does not add another week just another game for each weekend. Unless they are going to add a monday night playoff game.

I'm told the NFL expects to make another $5 BILLION from the extra PO games and the 17th game. The players' share % is to go up an additional 1.5-2%. That's a lot of dough. Plus we get to see extra games.

Back