More Tall Tales From Mort

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
So, apparently Chris Mortensen went on air on an Arizona radio station today, stood by his report that 11 of 12 balls were (now) under-inflated. Said Belichick threw Brady under the bus, not him. AND, this is awesome, said that Robert and Jonathan Kraft each called him separately to apologize that this was happening to him and that they blame the NFL, not him.

So...

He's scheduled to be on Dennis & Callahan AGAIN tomorrow morning, but D&C confirmed tonight that the Krafts NEVER called to apologize to him, and they're blowing Twitter up tonight. Odds that he cowards out again tomorrow?

This guy is an outright liar, attempting to gain credibility and relevance since he lost any and all semblance of it, and is failing miserably.

I'm setting the alarm to listen to D&C at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow. Anyone else? (Just in case I turn the alarm off and need to see the updates here).

I'm guessing Mort is a drunk, and not a recovering one. He has to be. Only alcoholics would find excuse after excuse, lie after lie, to make themselves look better.

I think it's giving him exactly what he wants to tune in. The only thing that scares these rumormongers is to be ignored.
JMO

I think it's giving him exactly what he wants to tune in. The only thing that scares these rumormongers is to be ignored.
JMO

Yes, but he cowarded out a couple of weeks ago when he was supposed to be on the D&C show. We'll see if he shows up tomorrow. After being in hiding for months when it was proven that his initial report was a lie and he was set up by the NFL, he got bold enough to appear again a few weeks ago. Now, instead of appearing somewhat apologetic, he's doubling down. He said today that he stands by his initial report.

Al davis was right a few years back when he called this POS a "professional liar". Indeed, he is.

I'm guessing Mort is a drunk, and not a recovering one. He has to be. Only alcoholics would find excuse after excuse, lie after lie, to make themselves look better.

I've heard that he sounded drunk during this interview, on the air in AZ.

I've heard that he sounded drunk during this interview, on the air in AZ.

Really? I'm sure if he wasn't before, these past few months have driven him to drinking heavily. Maybe he'll spill some and light a cigarette on himself.

:coffee:

He's nothing but a shill for the league. It's not surprising that, once it looked like he might be backing down, his "sources" had a talk with him to get back in line.

It seems there's a certain amount of integritude you need to have to work in the league offices or be an insider. They all have it, in spades.

He's nothing but a shill for the league. It's not surprising that, once it looked like he might be backing down, his "sources" had a talk with him to get back in line.

It seems there's a certain amount of integritude you need to have to work in the league offices or be an insider. They all have it, in spades.

The league office is a septic tank.

Mortenson has been a joke for a while now. Every big story he tries to get the scoop on has ended up being the complete opposite.

Interesting to listen to the interview....he hums and haws a lot and still clearly bats for the league. He's now saying the league did not tell him 11 of 12 footballs were underinflated significantly but he was the one who made the inquiry to this league source.

What is the difference Mort? He's trying to claim that the NFL source did not contact him about this but that Mort contacted him to ask how many footballs were under inflated. Mort thinks this makes a difference and in his warped mind, clearly means the league was not being dastardly.

And he asks the same moronic question that King has asked, why would the league lie to him?

Are these guys for real???

The interview is here:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...=desktop&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=push

Mort says Kraft apologized to him, Patriots deny it

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT

Not much had been said in recent days about Chris Mortensen’s role in the hatching of #DeflateGate because nobody had really said much about it. Mort said some more stuff about it on Thursday, and he probably now wishes that he hadn’t.

Appearing on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, Mortensen addressed various aspects of his report that 11 of 12 Patriots footballs measured at two pounds below the 12.5 PSI minimum at halftime of the AFC Championship Game.

Among other things, Mortensen claimed that Patriots owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft separately called to apologize to him for “the way this thing has gone down.” WEEI in Boston reports that the Patriots say the Krafts did not apologize to Mortensen.

Beyond the disputed notion that the Krafts apologized, Mortensen made other claims during the interview regarding the report. They’re listed below.

First, Mortensen downplayed the perception that the NFL peddled false information by explaining that the sources didn’t reach out to him, but that he reached out to the sources.

“The whole narrative that somebody from the league deliberately leaked false information to me is so much baloney,” Mortensen said. “It’s actually insulting, because I made the inquiry.”

In other words, Mortensen is saying the league is absolved of deliberately leaking false information because the sources didn’t affirmatively provide the information to Mortensen, but that the league instead provided the information upon request. However, the league then never corrected the false information, even after the same false information was reported both by Mortensen and by Peter King.

So Mort can choose to be insulted, but the “baloney” narrative seems accurate.

Second, Mortensen continues to downplay the clearly false report that 11 of 12 footballs were two pounds under the minimum by claiming that he quickly amended the report, claiming that the footballs were “significantly” underinflated. But what is “significantly” underinflated, given the NFL’s admitted ignorance of the operation of the Ideal Gas Law and the fact that, on one of the two pressure gauges, the measurements fell within what the Ideal Gas Law would predict? Moreover, despite his claim that ESPN quickly clarified the report, the original ESPN.com story to this very moment states that 11 of the 12 footballs were two pounds under the minimum.

Third, Mortensen fails to acknowledge that three of the four Colts footballs also were measured below the 12.5 minimum on one of the two pressure gauges, even though those footballs started the game at 13 PSI.

Fourth, Mortensen claims he didn’t suggest that the balls were tampered with. But the magnitude of the report — 11 of 12 footballs a full two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum — did the suggesting for him. Indeed, the most common reaction to Mortensen’s report was “wow, somebody tampered with the footballs,” and the only remaining questions related to who ordered it and/or who knew about it.

Fifth, Mortensen tries to shift the focus away from himself by claiming that he “never implicated” Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, and that the first person who did was coach Bill Belichick. Technically, Mortensen is right; his report didn’t specifically implicate Brady. But it was a damning report to the Patriots, and it turned a curiosity into a hashtag, making the decision to hire “independent” investigator Ted Wells a no-brainer and putting Belichick, Brady, and the rest of the organization squarely on the defensive until the team finally was told the truth in late March.

The truth remains that Mortensen’s sources lied to him. Instead of blaming the sources for lying to him, Mortensen is trying to create the impression that they didn’t lie to him.

So now Mortensen’s sources owe him. Big time. Here’s hoping that the stuff they give him this season and beyond is a lot more accurate.

This link was part of the tweet I posted in the ESPN thread

http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=314644

Yeah, I was listening to some of that, thanks.

So, far be it from me to put myself into someone's shoes, and I obviously don't know Mortensen's situation or anything like that.

That said.

He sounds like how I used to sound like, when I was trying to not sound drunk, back when I used to drink.

FWIW :coffee:

So sad what has happened in this whole sordid affair. Of course ESPN said there will be no repercussions for his false reporting and lying. Unbelievable.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/08/...etition-committee-continues-to-make-no-sense/

BOSTON (CBS) — You know, the NFL doesn’t make a whole lot of sense these days.
In the midst of battling its biggest star in federal court over alleged “general awareness” over something that might have happened, the league went ahead and absolved Falcons team president Rich McKay for admitted wrongdoing.

It’s baffling.
As background, McKay is the head of the NFL’s competition committee, but he was suspended for “at least three months” on April 1, after the Falcons admitted to pumping artificial crowd noise into their stadium in 2013 and 2014.

The Falcons — and, consequently, the NFL — pinned all of the blame on a director of event marketing named Roddy White, who was promptly fired by the team. (Cris Carter applauds the Falcons for having a fall guy.)
The NFL’s investigation (and we know those are always thorough and excellent) determined that McKay was not aware of the efforts taken by Falcons employees to cheat, but that “Mr. McKay, as the senior club executive overseeing game operations, bears some responsibility for ensuring that team employees comply with league rules.”

So you’d think that it would only make sense to take the man in charge of an organization that admitted to cheating (in the worst way possible, because the Falcons went 6-10 at home over the past two years) and take him off the competition committee for good. Because it’s the competition committee.

But nope. All it took was a little sit-down with Mr. Reasonable, Roger Goodell, and the commissioner has graciously ruled to let McKay resume his role as chairman of the competition committee.
It’s incongruous, to say the least, for the NFL to handle this situation in such wildly contradictory fashion to the ongoing DeflateGate saga.

CASE 1
The Offense: Being “at least generally aware” of football deflation, which was “more probable than not” to have happened for one half of a football game.
The Punishment: A four-game suspension for the “at least generally aware” player, and the loss of a first-round and fourth-round draft pick, as well as a $1 million fine to the team.
The Outcome: Brady continues to fight the unprecedented suspension. The NFL filed suit in federal court to uphold its own decision and is treating Brady like a felon to the bitter end, refusing to budge from the commissioner’s initial ruling. Oh, and when Goodell announced that he’d be upholding his own decision, he lied about what Brady said during his testimony in his appeal hearing. From Roger, it was a nice touch.

CASE 2
The Offense: Being in charge of the team that tried to interfere with other teams’ play-calling abilities by blasting recorded crowd noise through the stadium.
The Punishment: An unknown employee with the same name as a receiver got fired, the team was docked a fifth-round pick and $350,000, and the team president was suspended as head of the competition committee.
The Outcome: Time heals all wounds, and in the case of McKay, being out as head of the competition committee for five months in the offseason was more than enough punishment.

The cases, obviously, don’t line up apples to apples, and too many things these days draw poor comparisons to DeflateGate, but they’re close enough to raise eyebrows.
The NFL contends that no team employee would ever take air out of a football without taking explicit, specific orders from the quarterback. ( That is, unless that team employee works in Minnesota. In that case, the player could not have ever known about it or ordered it.) And so, not only is Tom Brady guilty, but he deserves a punishment befitting that of an actual, real-life criminal.

At the same time, the NFL contended that even though McKay didn’t know about the artificial crowd noise, the action falls under his jurisdiction, so he’s responsible. And so, he needed to be punished … but only for a few months in the offseason. Then it’s back to normal.
Falcons owner Arthur Blank, at the time of the NFL’s findings on the crowd noise, said, “Anytime there are actions that compromise the integrity of the NFL or threaten the culture of our franchise, as this issue did, they will be dealt with swiftly and strongly.”

Swiftly and strongly, indeed!
And now, after McKay’s five-month break from the competition committee came to an end, Blank stated, “I fully support his reinstatement to the committee.”

Blank, by the way, sided against Robert Kraft and the Patriots when discussing the deflated ball situation earlier this year.
“The league feels a tremendous sense of responsibility, as do all the owners, in reinforcing the culture of the NFL, the shield and make sure the game remains as balanced and as pure and as true to its integrity and its ethics as can be done,” Blank said in May. “When they find any organization or any individual has gotten off those tracks, it’s their job to remind them of that and bring them back on the tracks and do it in a way that really reinforces what the league is about. I think in the case of New England they have done that.”

As if you needed more reason to wonder why in the world “DeflateGate” continues to live on here in the final days of August, you now have this. Essentially, the integrity of the game and the shield and INTEGRITY are of the utmost importance, and it’s crucial that the league prosecute a player to the Nth degree if he doesn’t completely submit to the one-sided investigations, sponsored by the NFL. But other times, bah, it’s not a big deal. Integrity, schmintegrity. The guy’s been good for the league for a long time, so let’s go ahead and reinstate him!

Roger Goodell, you make no sense, my friend. I shudder to think what you might decide tomorrow.

Read more from Michael Hurley by clicking here. You can email him or find him on Twitter @michaelFhurley.

Michael Hurley, the Anti-Mort

So, apparently Chris Mortensen went on air on an Arizona radio station today, stood by his report that 11 of 12 balls were (now) under-inflated. Said Belichick threw Brady under the bus, not him. AND, this is awesome, said that Robert and Jonathan Kraft each called him separately to apologize that this was happening to him and that they blame the NFL, not him.

So...

He's scheduled to be on Dennis & Callahan AGAIN tomorrow morning, but D&C confirmed tonight that the Krafts NEVER called to apologize to him, and they're blowing Twitter up tonight. Odds that he cowards out again tomorrow?

This guy is an outright liar, attempting to gain credibility and relevance since he lost any and all semblance of it, and is failing miserably.

I'm setting the alarm to listen to D&C at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow. Anyone else? (Just in case I turn the alarm off and need to see the updates here).

I'm glad you added that line. I know a lot of alcoholics in recovery and they don't make excuses or lie.

I tried listening for a short while. They made no mention of Mortensen being on the show. I had to turn it off because Tanguay was on yelling about Brady being guilty. My blood pressure was rising, so it wasn't worth risking my health.

edit: According to the D&C Twitter feed, he was extended an invitation. They never said he would be on. I guess he didn't respond.

Tanguay is the biggest dickhead in local media.

I cannot believe they are leaning on this asshat to fill in.

IG_IG, I'll give you $50 if you break his nose.

Tanguay is the biggest dickhead in local media.

I cannot believe they are leaning on this asshat to fill in.

IG_IG, I'll give you $50 if you break his nose.

Back