Motivation for Belichick's Treatment of the Press?

93North

19.2 Yard Average Per Catch. NFL Record
Reaction score
Is it more likely that Belichick refuses to share information because he wants to deny the competition insight

or does Belichick just love dicking around the press?

When asked "Where is Gronkowski", Belichick said, "“There are a lot of players that were not on the field,” “They were doing other things."

Both. He is the master of nothing saying anything.

c5a4a019db7a8f61f231b1ce8cd9f6f4.jpg

1) Belichick rightfully sees these dumbasses as a waste of time. Journalists are pretty dumb.

2) All BB cares about is winning, and they can't do anything to help him do that.

However, thanks to the arrogance of the media, Belichick's dismissal of the press has actually probably caused more problems than if he took a gentler approach with them. Spygate, deflategate, all this bullshit probably wouldn't have been as big a deal had Belichick patronized the A-holes a little bit.

Turns out there is utility in engaging them at some level. Look at how Pay-a-ton has avoided all kinds of legitimate criticism just because the dumb goober sucks up to his fellow dumbasses that report about him.

1) Belichick rightfully sees these dumbasses as a waste of time. Journalists are pretty dumb.

2) All BB cares about is winning, and they can't do anything to help him do that.

However, thanks to the arrogance of the media, Belichick's dismissal of the press has actually probably caused more problems than if he took a gentler approach with them. Spygate, deflategate, all this bullshit probably wouldn't have been as big a deal had Belichick patronized the A-holes a little bit.

Turns out there is utility in engaging them at some level. Look at how Pay-a-ton has avoided all kinds of legitimate criticism just because the dumb goober sucks up to his fellow dumbasses that report about him.

Bill is not ostracized because of his media etiquette. It is his relationship with the league in general who are a bunch of buffoons so who can blame him. Never mistake that the number one reason the Pats are hated is because they WIN and WIN and WIN. Many coaches have followed Belichick's lead with the press - Mangini, Reid, Saban but no one cared because they don't have 4 lombardi's and the most wins ever in the modern era.

Self important claptrap like this (bolded below)pisses me off.
Bill is paid to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES not to make reporters' lives easier. If there were nary a media member covering the Patriots, he'd still get paid by Kraft because, you know, HE'S THE BEST EVER AT HIS ACTUAL JOB.
The media whining about this is like a patient whining about the performance of his surgeon during his surgical procedure because his office doesn't code your bill correctly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ristically-concise-at-minicamp-media-session/
Belichick is characteristically concise at minicamp media session

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2016, 2:42 PM EDT
FOXBOROUGH, MA - JULY 29: New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick speaks at a press conference at Gillette Stadium July 29, 2015 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. Belichick was asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to uphold a four game suspension for quarterback Tom Brady for his role in using underinflated balls in the AFC Championship game in 2014. (Photo by Darren McCollester/Getty Images)
Getty Images
In fairness to Patriots coach Bill Belichick, there are (rare) occasions when he decides to give long, meaningful answers to the questions presented to him during press conferences. Today was not one of those occasions.

Belichick met with reporters on the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp. Here’s a quick excerpt.

Q: Did everyone report to camp?

A: I don’t know. Whoever is here is here.

Q: Is there a reason why Rob Gronkowski wasn’t on the field?

A: There are a lot of players that were not on the field. They were doing other things.

Q: Was Rob Gronkowski expected to be there?

A: All of our players are. They’re doing other things.

Belichick often gives short answers to questions he regards as dumb. But these are fair, legitimate questions that he simply didn’t want to answer in a complete and thorough way.

It’s his right to be as concise as he wants to be. And it’s the media’s right to point out that Belichick makes an undisclosed amount of money that presumably is well north of $10 million per year due in part to the popularity of the sport and the public’s interest in it. If Belichick doesn’t want to be bothered with the media obligations that come from making presumably well north of $10 million per year as an NFL coach, there are plenty of other levels of plenty of other sports that he could coach in anonymity — with a salary that reflects it.

It is even more annoying that the media continue to talk about how Bill does not say anything like it is something new or novel. Pathetic.

Self important claptrap like this (bolded below)pisses me off.
Bill is paid to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES not to make reporters' lives easier. If there were nary a media member covering the Patriots, he'd still get paid by Kraft because, you know, HE'S THE BEST EVER AT HIS ACTUAL JOB.
The media whining about this is like a patient whining about the performance of his surgeon during his surgical procedure because his office doesn't code your bill correctly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ristically-concise-at-minicamp-media-session/
Belichick is characteristically concise at minicamp media session

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2016, 2:42 PM EDT
FOXBOROUGH, MA - JULY 29: New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick speaks at a press conference at Gillette Stadium July 29, 2015 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. Belichick was asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to uphold a four game suspension for quarterback Tom Brady for his role in using underinflated balls in the AFC Championship game in 2014. (Photo by Darren McCollester/Getty Images)
Getty Images
In fairness to Patriots coach Bill Belichick, there are (rare) occasions when he decides to give long, meaningful answers to the questions presented to him during press conferences. Today was not one of those occasions.

Belichick met with reporters on the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp. Here’s a quick excerpt.

Q: Did everyone report to camp?

A: I don’t know. Whoever is here is here.

Q: Is there a reason why Rob Gronkowski wasn’t on the field?

A: There are a lot of players that were not on the field. They were doing other things.

Q: Was Rob Gronkowski expected to be there?

A: All of our players are. They’re doing other things.

Belichick often gives short answers to questions he regards as dumb. But these are fair, legitimate questions that he simply didn’t want to answer in a complete and thorough way.

It’s his right to be as concise as he wants to be. And it’s the media’s right to point out that Belichick makes an undisclosed amount of money that presumably is well north of $10 million per year due in part to the popularity of the sport and the public’s interest in it. If Belichick doesn’t want to be bothered with the media obligations that come from making presumably well north of $10 million per year as an NFL coach, there are plenty of other levels of plenty of other sports that he could coach in anonymity — with a salary that reflects it.
The media since the dawn of time has had an insupportable sense of self-importance. It stems, I imagine from the first Amendment that says Congress can't impede them. It doesn't say Our Bill can't f*** with em. The right of the people to know what's going on in government is a totally different thing then the presse's right to know what's going on in a private business, a private locker room or Bill's head. They will never get over their preposterous sense of self-importance (and superiority).

In addition, they don't just want info. They want to get info, then pass judgement on it and then sell that judgement to their readers as gospel.

:4321: Now I'll prolly get fired. ROFL

Cheers, BostonTim

On top of it, Florio commenting that BB "doesn't want to be bothered with fulfilling his media obligations" just because HE DOESN'T GIVE YOU SOME WAR AND PEACE TYPE ANSWER is asinine. BB shows up and talks at all the times he is supposed to. THAT is called "fulfilling your media obligations".

Every one of those guys or gals from the media would undermine his locker room and team for the smallest of stories. He knows that. Hell, they make up all sorts of stuff anyway.

I wouldn't tell them sh!t either.

Bill is not ostracized because of his media etiquette. It is his relationship with the league in general who are a bunch of buffoons so who can blame him. Never mistake that the number one reason the Pats are hated is because they WIN and WIN and WIN. Many coaches have followed Belichick's lead with the press - Mangini, Reid, Saban but no one cared because they don't have 4 lombardi's and the most wins ever in the modern era.

Fair points. I would say you've identified the biggest factor (winning) but I would still argue media is a contributing factor for the general perception of BB.

They should know by now that BB won't give a meaningfull answer to any off-field issues. If the journalist wanted to do something meaningfull they would ask him a football related question and BB would probably give an answer worth hearing.

The fact they are still asking the questions they know they won't get an answer to, tells me they are only interested in drama. BB hates the off Field drama. He will never change his attitude towards that.

The media has however figured BBs non-answers kan be used as drama, so they are going for it.

Goodell makes 3 times the money BB makes. Maybe the media should hound him and call him out on his lies, hypocrisy, and stupidity.

He owes the press nothing. They are jackals looking to break the next 'scandal' so why would he help them out? Even local reporters like Ben Volin have axes to grind against this team so why make their lives easier?

Goodell makes 3 times the money BB makes. Maybe the media should hound him and call him out on his lies, hypocrisy, and stupidity.
Oh but, he's ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO THE MEDIA, so he says. Except he's not.
#Integrified

Belichick is a historian and has learned quite a bit in dealing with the media from war generals like William T. Sherman. Sherman had reporters in Civil War camps and had some great quotes about how he felt about them:

"If I had my choice, I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast"

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are."

Clearly, reporters are the same as back in 1864

I nominate this for the most useless thread of 2016.

My guess is that Gerry Callahan and John Dennis make about $2M/year each discussing topics such as this.

In fact, they discussed this topic on Wednesday, but what do they know about interesting football topics, right?

Stop being a Clown Show. You only embarrass yourself.

Back