My AC is broken

southcarolina

But, really, im not southcarolina
Reaction score
Its like 4000 degrees, and our homes AC isnt working. Its blowing air...hot air...but the outside unit is apparently not coming on. This to me seems to indicate bigger problems than a lack of freon.

Someone in the know please help me not get screwed to the wall by whichever company we call to come look at this. I know next to nothing about air conditioning. I dont expect them to do the work for free, i just dont want to get price gouged because im sweaty and unknowlegable.

The unit is 12 years old. So im thinking we are about to get hit with a bill for a new unit. What should i expect to pay for a new one? Our house is roughly 1200 square feet, single level.

How do i know if its worth trying to fix the old unit, versus replacing?

Holy crap.....the sun is coming up.....i feel like a freeking vampire.....

A woman I work with was just quoted $2900 for a new AC unit. I am not sure what the square footage of her condo is, but that should give you an indication. Just out of curiosity, have you tried looking at the circuit breaker to see if it was tripped? Hot weather and running the AC non-stop can occasionally cause the breaker to trip. If that's the case, set your AC lower so it's not running constantly.

Just passing an idea at you.

A woman I work with was just quoted $2900 for a new AC unit. I am not sure what the square footage of her condo is, but that should give you an indication. Just out of curiosity, have you tried looking at the circuit breaker to see if it was tripped? Hot weather and running the AC non-stop can occasionally cause the breaker to trip. If that's the case, set your AC lower so it's not running constantly.

Just passing an idea at you.

Thanks. hats something i hadnt thought of. I checked it and unfortunately thats not the problem.

This happened to us several years ago, and it got up to 90 degrees in the house - miserable! In our case, it was as simple as the fan motor needing to be replaced, and was around $300 to fix.

Good luck!

SC if the unit does not come on at all check the capacitor or the crossover switch located in series just before the capacitor. The capacitor will be look kind of like a battery pack with two terminals on top and the switch will be black square with about 4 to 5 different terminals on it. Good luck. I just recently had this happen to mine all the outside unit would do is click and wouldn't come on. It only cost me $121 to replace the switch.

SC if the unit does not come on at all check the capacitor or the crossover switch located in series just before the capacitor. The capacitor will be look kind of like a battery pack with two terminals on top and the switch will be black square with about 4 to 5 different terminals on it. Good luck. I just recently had this happen to mine all the outside unit would do is click and wouldn't come on. It only cost me $121 to replace the switch.

Whats the best way to check that? Just tap it with metal screwdriver?

heh just kidding.

I know the proper tool for checking electical connections is a crecent wrench.

Its like 4000 degrees, and our homes AC isnt working. Its blowing air...hot air...but the outside unit is apparently not coming on. This to me seems to indicate bigger problems than a lack of freon.

Someone in the know please help me not get screwed to the wall by whichever company we call to come look at this. I know next to nothing about air conditioning. I dont expect them to do the work for free, i just dont want to get price gouged because im sweaty and unknowlegable.

The unit is 12 years old. So im thinking we are about to get hit with a bill for a new unit. What should i expect to pay for a new one? Our house is roughly 1200 square feet, single level.

How do i know if its worth trying to fix the old unit, versus replacing?

It could be frozen. We've had that problem with ours a few times. Try turning it off for a couple hours and then turn it back on.

Its like 4000 degrees, and our homes AC isnt working. Its blowing air...hot air...but the outside unit is apparently not coming on.

sosad:jerkit:

try getting a haircut & lose that ponytail you GD hippie :Lecture:

and turn that computer off overnight instead of D/L-ing multiple pR0N files --- that GD power supply fan put out mucho heat working that hard you know:fire:

allegedly

sources say

sosad:jerkit:

try getting a haircut & lose that ponytail you GD hippie :Lecture:

and turn that computer off overnight instead of D/L-ing multiple pR0N files --- that GD power supply fan put out mucho heat working that hard you know:fire:

allegedly

sources say

Youre just jealous because my pron is better than yours. And i have prettier hair.

My brother designs HVAC systems for a living. Unfortunately for you, I'm not my brother. Fortunately for me I'm not him because he's been having some lower back and hip problems as of late. So I'm glad I'm not in his shoes. Very glad, in fact, because his shoes are too small for me and my feet would hurt getting all crammed in them.

If it's blowing hot air, that assumes the fan portion is working but the rest of it isn't. Could be a thermostat problem. Could be something else entirely. Doesn't sound like a simple breaker flip.

You could do what the rest of your brethren do, and just put on the frumpy housecoat, slippers, and hair curlers, and go stomp around Wal-Mart yelling, "Cleetus?!? Get yer little ass back here befur yer daddy whoops you again!!" ROFL

I have no practical advice but the title of this thread reminded me of "My ox is BROKEN! This is BULLSHIT!"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvJdJmDxGZ0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvJdJmDxGZ0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have no practical advice but the title of this thread reminded me of "My ox is BROKEN! This is BULLSHIT!"

<object height="344" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvJdJmDxGZ0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="344" width="425"></object>
all that video clip re-states is what ALL women should know about men..........

don't friggin' bother us with whiney, stupid conversation when we are in the middle of serious plowing, gawddammit :Lecture:

we'll find The Treasure Spot --- just give us some time :shake:

My brother designs HVAC systems for a living. Unfortunately for you, I'm not my brother. Fortunately for me I'm not him because he's been having some lower back and hip problems as of late. So I'm glad I'm not in his shoes. Very glad, in fact, because his shoes are too small for me and my feet would hurt getting all crammed in them.

Thanks. I dont know what i'd do with out you.

I get it....none of you AC Repairmen want to break ranks and give me any nside info. I understand....you dont want to be branded a rat......just PM me and i'll keep your secret....i swear

man im really sorry to hear that....its like 100 here. i would die.

Back