Never Forget

Sadly too many people have.

Anyone else remember
What was on the radio (Tool on WAAF)
What they were wearing (Cape Fishermans supply t-shirt (teal green) and jeans)
Where they were (In the sample room cutting .........samples)
First person they talked to (wife, who was pregnant with Ben.......... but we didnt know yet)

How WEIRD it was to be at my friends mothers funeral and seeing F-15's screaming around the Newton skyline.

Darkest day in America since I've been alive.

I was at work in my office. My phone and email went crazy and the internet locked up. I was on the phone with my Dad when the second plane hit. I can still hear his scream. Just devastating.

Still remember that day. I was living in Nebraska and was in a rather foul mood because I had to drop off my Buick POS at the mechanic to replace the diver-side power window after it burned out the day before. I was listening to the morning show as the whole thing transpired. And the work day was kinda odd with us following the whole thing on a TV set in the tech area.

Just a very surreal experience, especially since I remember being at the WTC when I was a teen in '91.

I was listening to D & C on EEI. Dennis had a daughter attending NYU and her dorm room had a view of the WTC. We originally thought it was just a plane that somehow veered off course. Then the 2nd one hit. Then reports that something was happening at the Pentagon. It became quickly apparent that these were not isolated incidents.

The real shock came as I was listening. I had no access to TV. But the description by D, C and Dale when the first tower went down. The tone of their voice was utter disbelief, almost somber. All I could envision was the tower toppling and tens of thousands dying. Of course, the toll wasn't that high, but at that moment, it seemed like it would be.

About that time, people here started finding TV's and wheeling them into conference rooms. Now I was getting the visual impact. There was little being spoken while watching it unfold. Most of us went home in the early afternoon. I just wanted to be with my family.

My son was a freshman at Syracuse. He was in class when the news came in. The teacher brought a TV in the classroom and they stayed there for several hours watching it together. My daughter was sent home early from school. She didn't want to watch any news of it. I couldn't stop watching. I didn't sleep that night. Needless to say, there were many phone calls that day.

I was at the first Pats game following against the Jets. The mood at the stadium was somber and even a little fearful. Security was extremely high. But the ceremony prior to the game was inspirational. Having the Andruzzi family at midfield in their firefighter and police gear. The giant flag covering the entire field.

I was at home watching the morning show, the one that has the glass windows behind the hosts. You could see the towers in the distance, and the first plane hit. I was watching the plane hit the building, and the hosts didn't have a clue for a minute or two.

My daughter was at Logan Airport getting ready to board a plane for Florida. When I watched the second plane hit the tower, I called her cell and told her to GET OUT OF THE AIRPORT RIGHT NOW. She heard the panic in my voice and got in a cab and out of there, not knowing what was going on.

I remember being glued to the TV, skipping out on work, telephone ringing off the hook, and just complete and utter disbelief.

I'm sure that day is burned in all of our memories, as clearly as the day our children were born. And it should never be forgotten.

This video is frightful, the music is haunting, but we should never forget.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AW8puRqE4Sc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AW8puRqE4Sc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was working for Airborne Express and doing a route in Hyde Park on Sprague street. I was listening to D&C when I learned of it. My wife called me up hysterical telling me what was going on and that she was at Nursing School and they wouldn't let people go home. I was in a complete and total stupor.

I remember it well. Seems like yesterday. Work was chaos, and needless to say, not much "work" got done that day. We were all glued to the TV, internet, phones... anything that provided news, or the whereabouts of our families and loved ones and coworkers. I had friends in the Pentagon that day, and their stories are harrowing. We were forever changed that day 7 years ago...

To all those who lost their lives - To all the family and friends of those who were lost - I salute you! And please know, we will NEVER forget!

I was watching the "Today" show as it all unfolded. I remember being so horrified, that I was almost paralyzed and I must admit I was scared to death.

I knew two people that died that day.

I was at work like most when news arrived. We all logged on to cnn.com trying to get the video feed. It overloaded the servers and no one could get on. We ran for the conference room and watched in disbelief on the satellite TV. The IT guys had to open up the satellite feed for us, and I remember one guy calling the IT administrator in Arizona and telling them to turn it on for us and they wouldn't.
He snarled into the phone "listen to me asshole, you turn it on RIGHT F-ING NOW". They did.
I had to take someone to Framingham for a meeting and left the office. while we were driving down there the first tower went down while I listened on WBZ. When we got there, no business was conducted, I sat at my customers office and watched the second tower fall.
The whole time I was worried sick about my sister, who worked in Manhattan for the NFL. Couldn't get through on any phone line, no cell, no landline.
My Mom was calling me in a panic.
I left there and drove home and remember the Mass Pike opened up all the tolls and a trooper was standing there just waving people through.
Later we learned that my sister had a dentist appt that morning and didn't go to work. She lived directly across the river in NJ, and had a perfect view of the events. She saw the second plane hit and saw the towers fall right from her patio. But for a toothache, she'd have been in the train station under the WTC at around 9AM, where she changed trains every day and sometimes walked from there if it was a nice day.
She and her husband ended up down at the riverbank meeting boats that were evacuating injured and carrying stretchers and rinsing dust out of peoples eyes and ears.
Later that day as I sat in my living room, I heard two jets go over my house at LOW altitude. I ran into the street and saw a small airplane being pursued by two fighters. I could see the blue flame of the afterburners on the jets. It was really really loud. All my neighbors ran in the street and we all stared up at the sky. No one said anything for a minute or two, until one guy just said "Holy Shit". That about summed it up.

Never forget. I will take a few quiet minutes that day to remember those I knew who died.

Sadly too many people have.

Anyone else remember
What was on the radio (Tool on WAAF)
What they were wearing (Cape Fishermans supply t-shirt (teal green) and jeans)
Where they were (In the sample room cutting .........samples)
First person they talked to (wife, who was pregnant with Ben.......... but we didnt know yet)

How WEIRD it was to be at my friends mothers funeral and seeing F-15's screaming around the Newton skyline.

Darkest day in America since I've been alive.

I guess we did know about Ben
Below is from last year

Good post Baron.

I was in my office wearing a aqua green Cape Fishermans Supply t-shirt, blue jeans and Red wing boots. I remember hearing stories of JFKs assassination and how people remember what they were wearing and thought "thats silly" I now know what they were referring to.
Anemia , a Tool song was on WAAF and they broke in with the news just prior to my wife calling me to tell me about it. We went from the high of highs to the low of lows. We had just found out that she was pregnant with our son Ben a few days before.

I remember listening in stunned silence to the radio after the second plane hit knowing immediately that it was an attack of some kind.

I had to drive in to Newton for my friends mother funeral that morning and remember all the planes coming in for landings at Logan and then it was over the only other flights we saw all day were F-15's. People at the party after the funeral were commenting on how odd it was to not see or hear commercial airliners.

Cell phone service was sketchy at times and traffic going South was heavy as many office buildings were closed that morning.

Still feels surreal thinking about it.....................
The kids left with one or in some cases no parents.

[Disclaimer: Sorry for the length, especially if you think my story sucks...]

I was in the Navy at that time (stationed at NAS Jax in FL) and working the 3pm-12am shift. I went out that night after work with a couple of buddies to some bars. Didn't get home til late and was a little drunk. I remember that I woke up before the first plane hit but I uncharacteristically didn't turn on the TV or radio that morning because I was excited about going out to the Suzuki dealer to look for a bike.

When I got in my car, I didn't turn on the radio either... just listened to a CD when about halfway to the Suzuki dealer I got a weird chill down my back, you know the kind that makes all the hairs on the back of your neck and arms stand up. It was eerie because no one was on the road but I really didn't think much more about it. I got to the Suzuki dealer and not a single person was on the floor or behind the desk but there was a little TV in the center of their showroom which was on but there was no sound.

I remember thinking to myself... if this is the type of customer service I am going to receive from them I'm not buying a bike here. Then I looked at the TV and I saw the images of the planes going into the towers. I thought, well I guess I will just watch this movie until someone shows up to help me. After waiting a couple of minutes and half-heartdly watching the TV and looking over some bikes a salesman shows up and asks how I am doing. I said, "I'm alright just looking at some bikes" when he asked me if I knew what was going on. I said "yeah, I'm looking for a bike to buy." He's like "no, look at the TV." Yeah? I said, what movie is that? "That's no movie, that's real, the twin towers in NY were just hit by a couple of planes."

That's when I knew the eerie feeling I had wasn't just some a day after alchol related detox. Right after the sales guy told me the reality of the situation, I got a call from my PO1 from the base. Hello? I answered knowing full well what was coming... "Are you at home?" he asked me. No, I'm not, I'm at Suzuki. I will never forget the next thing that I heard from his mouth... "Go home, pack up your stuff, don't come to work today and wait for me to call you again. The shit has hit the fan!"

I went back to my apartment where I had recently moved into after a 6 month deployment in Iceland. I lived by myself and didn't know any of my neighbors. I had no girlfriend at the time and my family lives a thousand+ miles away. I was scared shitless, I was glued to the TV screaming at the top of my lungs "WHY? WHY? WE'RE GOING TO KILL THOSE BASTARDS, I'M GOING TO KILL THEM ALL!!!" Fear had shifted into anger and then back into fear when the I realized that I might be going to war. This is something that you realize is a possibility when you enter the service but you never think that it'll actually happen. I waited and waited when my PO! called back and told me to sit tight for the rest of the day. I would be called if needed. I never did get that call, I mean I was in the Navy working on fat pigs of a plane, the P3-C Orion. They are surveillance planes that never land on any type of ship so I was always shore based, but at that time I didn't think of that, my family, friends and life flashed before my eyes that day, a day I will NEVER FORGET as long as I live.

I can't even begin to understand what our soldiers are exposed to everday over there, the fear they must have going out on missions knowing that it might be their last time out, knowing that they may never see their loved ones again. Again, I will NEVER FORGET this day and always keep our soldiers in my prayers.

Never will I ever forget!

I was working in the Basement in a home of a customer of mine listening to the radio. At first the DJ said a small plane hit one of the Trade Towers and I was kinda hoping that's all it was,but something inside me felt it was worse than that. A few minutes later It was reported another plane hit and I knew immediately that we were under attack. I was in total dismay and I had trouble comprehending what was going on. When the Pentagon was hit I was saying to myself and to my coworker that its a good thing that we are in a basement because we could soon go into a Thermal Nuclear war situation. I wanted soo bad to be with my children that day and hold them and hug them to let them know they will be safe. When I finnaly had a chance to have lunch I went to this little country store and they had a TV on and everybody stood around watching the horror unfolded. That's when I saw the first video of the Twin Towers falling. At that very moment I had incredible grief set in. I guess listening to the radio really didn't give me a good picture what was going on,but that video sure did and soon after I had tremendous anger knowing full well these terrorist need to be dealt with. I just want to tell all the families who lost their loved ones due to war and to Terrorism that you will always be in my heart. God bless you all and God Bless America!

It was very surreal that day. I was ment to go to school, but me and a friend said we would stay off because his mom had gone out all day. We put the tv on and seen the breaking news of the first crass. We seen the 2nd crash live, was crazy

Thansk for sharing your stories everyone. My heart goes out to all who were so affected by this horrible thing.

Dave and I had been vaguely planning a trip to NYC since he had never been but decided against is since we had just bought a house and money wa a bit tight. So we took a trip to the Four Corners area instead. We were in Page, AZ on our way to Zion National Park when we were walking down the hotel lobby and someone asked us if we had heard. We ran to the room and put the TV on and saw what was ufolding. MY parents were at home with my three kids and I immediately called them and said we're coming home" but my Dad said not to because if we did the terrorists would win and get what they wanted.

PS my now 15 year old son was most affected by the images he was exposed to on the TV..he is VERY scared to fly and I believe it comes from what he saw that day.

So we drove to Zion listening to NPR all day, weeping and in shock but my God it was truly a good place to be that day. The beauty and makesty of Zion to us..so represented all that is great about our country. And there were people from ALL over the world there and everyone embraced on another in a way I have never seen in a setting like that..just talking, hugging,mourning. It was pretty powerful.

I was out on the water hauling lobster traps just as if it had just been another work day. I had a pair of marine radios on, one on the Coast Guard hailing frequency and the other on boat to boat chatter. I also had a scanner tuned to the marine frequencies. The first that I heard of it was from another boat right after the first plane hit. After that the Coast Guard placed the water near Logan off limits and suggested that boats head to their home ports ASAP. Finished my trap line and headed home. Sold my lobsters to the wholesaler and went home and watched the tv for the next two days while trying to get in touch with my brother in law who worked in the first tower. Turned out that we lost him and to this day it would not bother me if a plague took out every muslim bastard on this planet.

I was out on the water hauling lobster traps just as if it had just been another work day. I had a pair of marine radios on, one on the Coast Guard hailing frequency and the other on boat to boat chatter. I also had a scanner tuned to the marine frequencies. The first that I heard of it was from another boat right after the first plane hit. After that the Coast Guard placed the water near Logan off limits and suggested that boats head to their home ports ASAP. Finished my trap line and headed home. Sold my lobsters to the wholesaler and went home and watched the tv for the next two days while trying to get in touch with my brother in law who worked in the first tower. Turned out that we lost him and to this day it would not bother me if a plague took out every muslim bastard on this planet.

I am sorry for your loss. Peace be with you.

I remember getting into work early that day, and we were all talking about who in the hell was so stupid that they couldn't see a big tower like that and fly around it. Once we heard about the second one, our mood quickly changed as we then realized they were no accident. Not much work got done after that.

I'll never forget.

Back