News du jour.

Ok, so what's your plan now?

For starters, prime, Netflix, YouTube tv . Assume I will see helpful changes along the way.
Cheers

i'm one of those peeps that has a regular non internet tv for my main tv. so i have directv. that bill has become about 2/3 as high per year as my auto insurance and i have multiple cars. so i called them and told them their service costs me 1 1/3x what my electric and gas bills are per month and i wasn't happy. got them to reduce my bill by $60/mo for 12 mos, and they told me if i call in 12 mos,they will re-up that. not sure if true but what the hey. now i am left wondering how much of that bill is pure graft if they can cut that much off without too much argument. 😄

For starters, prime, Netflix, YouTube tv . Assume I will see helpful changes along the way.
Cheers

I'll be watching all the suggestions as I've considered cutting the cord myself.

Good thread, hopefully.

Cheers
I have Prime (wife), HBO Max(daughter), AppleTV plus and YTTV. I cut Netflix when they started with the Cuties BS.

All together they are sub $95. WOW (Wide Open West) 1.1GB internet is $106. So $201 all in.

The Apple TV Plus comes as part of the Apple package with Music, TV, 2TB storage and Apple Fitness for $32/month. I don’t count that cost as part of the TV costs as I would buy the other Apple pieces for a higher cost if the package didn’t exist.

YTTV is an outlier for me as I try hard not to give Google a dime. That said, they keep making it better. Recent “free” upgrade is multiview TV. Watch 4 games at once. Also, you can add up to 5 family members for free. Each gets their own login so can they can watch something else in another room or in another state. My kids do that. Also, unlimited recording of shows/games. I have it setup to record all Pats/Bruins/Spartans games. I can’t watch all of them live, due to location restrictions) but after the game they are there for me to watch.

The main TV is a 2.5 year old 65 inch Vizio that, for us, is more than fine. The older, less smart, Vizio is above the bar downstairs and I use a $25 Amazon Fire stick to make it smarter and get all of the same content listed above.

Maybe TMI but there it is.

Last edited:
I still have regular TV here as my wife likes having it, but I never use it now. Anything I watch is on demand now, with Sports being the only things I watch live.

I have Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, Paramount Plus, Apple TV, YouTube Premium and then NFL GamePass. All that is €70 a month, so about US$73.

The regular cable TV and broadband package is €123 a month, so $130.

So all in all, that's $203 in total.

It's a lot when you look at it. If I could cut the TV package out, it would be a nice saving.

I still have regular TV here as my wife likes having it, but I never use it now. Anything I watch is on demand now, with Sports being the only things I watch live.

I have Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, Paramount Plus, Apple TV, YouTube Premium and then NFL GamePass. All that is €70 a month, so about US$73.

The regular cable TV and broadband package is €123 a month, so $130.

So all in all, that's $203 in total.

It's a lot when you look at it. If I could cut the TV package out, it would be a nice saving.

We have the you tube for live tv because Lori loves tcm and it s hard to find. And live lets me watch pats.

i'm one of those peeps that has a regular non internet tv for my main tv. so i have directv. that bill has become about 2/3 as high per year as my auto insurance and i have multiple cars. so i called them and told them their service costs me 1 1/3x what my electric and gas bills are per month and i wasn't happy. got them to reduce my bill by $60/mo for 12 mos, and they told me if i call in 12 mos,they will re-up that. not sure if true but what the hey. now i am left wondering how much of that bill is pure graft if they can cut that much off without too much argument. 😄
Put the smack down! 😎

I'll be watching all the suggestions as I've considered cutting the cord myself.

Good thread, hopefully.
Check with your provider too when you cancel, one of the retention plans (that I actually took) was a promo price with brodcast channels, pick 15 cable channels (and I don't watch half of those it seems), and a short discount on the internet price, but even when it all runs out, it still ends up being way way less than the bundles. I will say if Youtube TV were cheaper, I'd be using that, because I watch Youtube the majority of the time anyway.

Back