News from Training Camps around the League

wyobilzfan said:
Oh, and BIODEGRADABLE.....

I bet you didn't think your Patriots were going to win the Super Bowl after the BILLS throttled their butts on opening day last year either.

A year ago y'all were homers just like the rest of us are now.

Right now EVERYONE'S record is 0-0:dom:

There is homer, than there is ridiculous. Every fan is a homer, sorry to break the truth to you. Most Pats fans on KFFL, or anywhere were saying 11-5 or 12-4ish. Not bad eh? I was down in the dumps and felt like hurting anyone who even mentioned the word Bills to me...I know that for sure. But hell, who can think they will win a superbowl in week 1-win or lose?

Well WYO,

As you want to "see" how your guy manages a game, we already know how "our" guy manages his.

And I for 1 feel that any ship steered by Bledsoe is "rudderless".And will be so at least until the 5th game of '04.That should give Mularkey ample time to soak in the evidence and realize that Drew is "not" the man he once was. At which time he will insert Losman and hope for the best.

This will not work. Unless Bledsoe goes down in week 2 the Bills have no chance.

There is evidence here, and that evidence is a body of work.

Drew Bledsoe doesn't care and has rested on his laurels for years.

Tom Brady may not be as naturally gifted but works at being a better QB... period.

To those whose who pay attention the previous point is moot.

Exactly my point. You NEVER know when the magic will strike. That is what makes any REAL fan a homer. When TC opens, we all want to believe that something special will happen; that THIS will be OUR year.

Not to dispute your point that there are many ridiculous BILLS fans, but that's true of any team. And I don't presume to know what WILL happen. All I know is that for the first time in three years, i feel like my beloved team is headed in the right direction.

The karma thing is just that; a feeling. Things just seem to be falling into place. Ricky Williams tanks the PHINz. The Jests are young, vibrant, but raw. Our chances for a wildcard are better with Ricky gone.

The BILLS are embarassed, and hungry and have talent. When I put my therapist hat on, I like what I see in terms of team chemistry/dynamics.

Think what you like, frankly I hope your team disrespects us as much as your fans do!o:)

Oh, and as far as Bledsoe, I don't dispute that he's rested on his laurels. But having WILLIS and Travis Henry may help keep Drew from playing urban cowboy too much.

I definitely think the BILLS are in trouble if Drew goes down early in the season. He just needs to hand the ball off and let the running game shoulder the load.

WYO, ya aint bad at all! I can admire the love you guys have for your team..And I doubt our team will be taking them lightly..I just see them as a 9-7 team at besto:)

In all seriousness, ya'll better pray Bledsoe can be somewhat what he was in 02' than you could have a scary team...

WYO,
The Bills are an unproven sad sack of an organization.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz9At this point)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... sir, you just keep talking that way:D The more you diss my team, the more I like it :thumb:

Bio,

If the BILLS offensive line can improve to being just AVERAGE (ranking 14-16 range), AND Bledsoe stays healthy for the first half of the season, I think they will be greatly improved.

If things REALLY fell into place and Bledsoe played like he did in the first half of 02, we could be VERY scary for a lot of teams.

I'm not foolish enough to think that your championship Patriots won't win the division, but I think if both teams stay reasonably healthy, it could be more of a fight than some of you think.

In this league these days anything can happen.

OK,
BIO,

The Pats have already been there and done that.
The Bills are still searching for an identity.

The pats have the same coaching staff (tried and true)/
The Bills have uhh, and uhhh, yeah, that'swhat I thought.

The Pat's have a two time MVP super bowl QB.
The Bills have a 1 time clipboard grippin' 2nd stringer.

In essence, the Pats have an upside even with the Super Bowls. It's called a "dynasty". The Bills could have done it if they won a couple. But Nooooooo. sorry.

Patriots dynasty, sounds pretty good. realistic too!! We'll see.

sir_drinkalot said:
OK,
BIO,

The Pats have already been there and done that.
The Bills are still searching for an identity.

The pats have the same coaching staff (tried and true)/
The Bills have uhh, and uhhh, yeah, that'swhat I thought.

The Pat's have a two time MVP super bowl QB.
The Bills have a 1 time clipboard grippin' 2nd stringer.

In essence, the Pats have an upside even with the Super Bowls. It's called a "dynasty". The Bills could have done it if they won a couple. But Nooooooo. sorry.

Patriots dynasty, sounds pretty good. realistic too!! We'll see.

C'mon now. You know as well as I do this team needs to repeat this year, and win the division for consecutive seasons before they touch a "Dynasty" mark. They are a great team, I love em with my life..But lets not get crazy now. The Bills will be a improved team with something to prove..IMO they will be 2nd place.

Re: RESIDENT BILLS TROLL REPORTING ON OUR TC

wyobilzfan said:
Smart woman, that mgo:D

ALL THE BILLS ROOKS ARE SIGNED, IN CAMP, AND WORKING HARD

Here is your latest update on the BILLS who are ALL in camp and working hard. I've been listening to some great audio clips from Mike Mularkey.

This guy is NOOOO GreGGy. I'm REALLY liking his 'tude!!!! I think y'all who diss my beloved BILLS are going to be in for a little surprise this year. These guys are carrying a chip on their shoulder.

You remember that, don't you Patriot brethren???The kind when you get no respect???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... well, to be honest I'd much rather be sitting in my shoes as a BILLS fan with no one even LOOKING at our team seriously.

All the pressure is resting SQUARELY on YOUR team now. All the respect... all the EXPECTATIONS.

blah blah blah...

Bills still have Drew Bledsoe at QB.

Nuf 'ced

The problem with sending a message like this is that you need some kind of viable alternative to make it work should Williams not respond positively.

So what if he cops an attitude? Who is going to take his place?

This is a classic Parcells/Bellichick move-- firing a shot across an underachiever's bow and serving notice, but there is also a risk that the guy will just lay down.

In my opinion there isn't a tackle in the league that can pass block when the weight gets up over 330 or so. Williams isn't even close to that or being a complete tackle.

I'm not that impressed with his run blocking either. Dominant? I don't think so. Not bad is more like it.

So the Bills plan on getting their running game going without Ruben Brown (who WAS good) and maybe Williams too.

Mularkey is rolling the dice.

Good luck.

Marcus Price

Actually, there IS a viable alternative. Marcus Price has been a consummate team player and has played EXTREMELY well anytime he has been on the field.

There were many people questioning why Price wasn't put in the lineup last year under GreGGy.

Agreed, Hawg. There is inherent risk with ANY move you make. But I like this one. It's time we got Big Mike to play to his potential.

With McNally as his line coach, and Mularkey setting the tone, I think we'll see much better productivity from Big Mike this year.

From pro football talk....

STEELERS, STEINBERG MAKING NO PROGRESS

We suggested recently that agent Leigh Steinberg will hold quarterback Ben Roethlisberger out of Steelers training camp in the hopes of nailing a big-time deal for the former Miami (Ohio) signal-caller.

Though some questioned whether Steinberg would follow through on the feared holdout, the Steelers are practicing without the 11th overall pick in the draft -- and the team and the agent are at an impasse.

Steinberg is flying to Pittsburgh for face-to-face talks, which might signify that a deal is closer than advertised. But Steinberg says that the team's reluctance to use voidable years and escalators is an impediment to getting the deal done.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are using three arms in camp. At a time when the roster is at its biggest, most teams go with four quarterbacks in order to prevent fatigue. If the stalemate lasts much longer, the Steelers might need to bring in someone else until Roethlisberger arrives -- or until the roster shrinks.

First Maddox threatens to hold out, now some MAC QB is holding out on them....

It seems they may have been better off just holding onto Slash. :LOL: ROFL

Hey, MGO-- you're doing a nice job keeping the news rolling in and I just want to say thanks.

THANKS. :clap:

Hawg73 said:
Hey, MGO-- you're doing a nice job keeping the news rolling in and I just want to say thanks.

NP :thumb:

Just let me know when I start boring you all. :p

From the Miami Herald

Posted on Mon, Aug. 02, 2004

DOLPHINS

Offense falters in early going

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

It's third down and the Dolphins need a big play for a first down. During practice, the blitz-drill rules are such that everyone knows the defense is attacking on every play while the offense always passes.

So, on the first play, Jay Fiedler throws an incomplete pass, intended for fullback Rob Konrad. The next play offers another incompletion. Then linebacker Morlon Greenwood navigates through leaky protection and sacks Fiedler.

The offensive line is replaced by backups, who promptly allow the defenders to reach Fiedler so quickly that he doesn't have time to turn around before he's hit. The Miami quarterback fumbles.

Fiedler and fellow quarterback A.J. Feeley survived the pressure long enough to complete seven passes in 14 plays during Sunday's practice. But the tone is set.

Miami's proven defense has dominated, while the offense that was both inconsistent and predictable last year seems overmatched.

''That's just the way it goes,'' Feeley said. ``It's practice. The offense wins sometimes, and defense wins sometimes.''

The Dolphins need the offense to win more often this year than it did in 2003, when the unit finished ranked 24th in the NFL. And that's why the team must come up with the answers for several questions that linger like a hangover.

Here are some of those questions and the thoughts of players and coaches who must answer them during the forthcoming season.

What will be the personality of the Miami offense now that running back Ricky Williams has retired?

Coach Dave Wannstedt: ``We will evaluate the people we have. We'll find out what the strengths of those people might be -- where our strengths might be and what gives us the best opportunity to score points -- and that's where we'll put our focus.''

So does that mean the Dolphins might become primarily a passing team if passing is what the Miami personnel do best?

Wannstedt: ``If we felt we could throw the ball and that gave us the best chance to score points and win games, then no question about it. It's been that way since I've been here. There have been games we've thrown the ball 50 times. What's important is what gives the team the best chance to win.''

Does that agree with the coaching staff's understanding of what the philosophy will be on offense?

Receivers coach Jerry Sullivan: ``From our standpoint, we're going to follow the plan that we have. We want to be balanced in what we do. We have some guys with some talent and we're going to throw the football when we feel like it's part of what we do, not because we lost someone and we have to suddenly try to throw the ball. We're not going to do that. That's not the plan. You don't change everything you're doing. Veering off the path isn't the answer.''

Why not?

Sullivan: ``If you believe in the plan, you don't throw the whole thing out because of one particular person. You just adapt by maybe doing some things a little different, but you still have a basic foundation. That's what we're going to stay with.''

Do receivers and quarterbacks agree with that?

Receiver Chris Chambers: ``Maybe there will be a shift later on. You never know. You just have to get out there and start playing right now and see how it's going to work. I know we're not just going to go in there and pound the ball, pound the ball and not get any yards. Eventually we're going to do something different if we have to go against a team that's going to give us the opportunity to go down the field. That's one of the biggest things we need to do. We have to take shots down the field and give our players a chance to make plays.''

So is the new Dolphins offense really new at all despite the fact most of the offensive line, coaching staff and receiver corps have undergone significant changes?

Offensive line coach Tony Wise: 'Whoever said `new offense' is incorrect. There is no new offense. If you asked Wade Smith to run ace right, scat left, 50 belly or 50 slant scissors, it is the same as the day he walked in. The person using the term 'new offense' is in error. The running game is the same as it has been with the normal tweaks you put in during the offseason. The protections we're using are exactly the same. John St. Clair is trying to do exactly what Todd Wade did last year. Exactly.''

How comfortable is offensive coordinator Chris Foerster with the offense after being hired this offseason as the tight ends coach and being unexpectedly promoted to coordinator for the first time in his NFL career?

Foerster: ``I feel great. We're in place. Obviously, there was a period of adjustment when the job change occurred. Now everybody is on board, and we're headed in the right direction with a good plan. Through that quarterback school and now coming into the fall, it's all in place for me. We know where we're going, we have a nice playbook and it's all set up and ready to go.''

What are the Dolphins certain their offense does consistently well?

Fiedler: ``That's a good question. [Pause]. We're still learning about each other, but I know there are things we'll be consistent with. We're with the short passing game. There are certain plays our offensive line blocks well and we'll rely on those plays in the running game, and the play-action that's going to be a big part of the offense.''

What do Dolphins defensive players really think of the Miami offense without Ricky Williams after facing it in two practices?

Defensive end Jay Williams: ``Losing Ricky Williams isn't going to make or break the offense. He couldn't win games by himself. He had 10 other guys helping on offense, and those guys are still here. We'll replace him at running back with Travis Minor or whoever and he'll do as good a job as Ricky, if not better. So I see a good unit and good times ahead.''

Hmmmm...... Seems that the Phins O is sputtering more than usual. :harumph:

Re: Buffalo News article

wyobilzfan said:
Mularkey sends an early message

stainlee,

Thought you might like to see what the media is reporting about the BIG MIKE demotion.

thank you wyo.

i know on the bills board they were saying big mike's G-mom had passed away over the summer (june?).

this may sound harsh, but he missed three weeks with the bills situation ( new coaches, offense, etc) the way it is? and after last years highly dissapointing season.

anyway, the article said his absences were for unspecified personal reasons.

i'm sorry about his G-mom but i have to agree with what you said on the bills board...

mike seems to have a lot of personal excuses for missing valuable time.

also appears he's a tad overweight besides being behind on the new offensive playbook.

i don't blame mularkey and i hope big mike comes around.

Hawg73 said:

hey, hawg...doesn't mgoblue just SEEM like the perfect woman???

thank you again mgo, i wouldn't know how to get this information on my own.

GO MICHIGAN !!!

stain,

Grief is such a tough thing, especially for a young man in a macho field. Not everyone can pull a Brett Farve (play in a game right after his Dad died).

But I did read where Brett said the hardest thing was AFTER they got knocked out of the playoffs and he had to sit down and face the stark reality of his dad's death. Playing allowed him a distraction and the ability to postpone dealing with the shock.

Big Mike will be all right. I'm pleased with the way Mularkey is handling this; up front, yet gently. Marcus Price does deserve a shot to play, the guy is clearly talented enough to be a very good starter on most teams.

It's not harsh to expect Mike to get focused and prepare to move on. He has a job to do, just like anyone else who has to go back to work after a devastating loss. I think once he settles down, he will find renewed dedication to the game and be OK.

This is definitely NOT a Ricky Williams kind of situation.

Good to see you around on our board, stain. You definitely raise the collective IQ around there, and do a good job of keeping homers like me in check:)

stainlee said:
hey, hawg...doesn't mgoblue just SEEM like the perfect woman???

thank you again mgo, i wouldn't know how to get this information on my own.

GO MICHIGAN !!!

ROFL

Everytime my hubby reads or hears a comment like that from the several guys online or at bars that I discuss sports with, he just laughs. I guess he just doesn't see it that way. :shrug:

And stainlee...

For news info check out kffl.com- NFL Hot off the Wire and profootballtalk.com...

That's where I get a lot of the info from. Course some of it I get from ESPN Insiders, which is a paid service.

But don't worry, I'll keep posting. :thumb:

Caught on ESPN's bottom line tonight that Greg Randall has signed with the Rams.

Man, we had the Randall Bowl last year when the Pats faced the Texans and now we'll have Randall Bowl II when the Pats face the Rams.

The Randall Bowl is becoming a bigger event than the Bledsoe Bowl. :p

Back