News from Training Camps around the League

If anyone could rustle up some information on the Falcons' camp, and specifically on how they are using DeAngelo Hall (returner as well as DB?), I'd be greatful.

Flagg Wanderer said:
If anyone could rustle up some information on the Falcons' camp, and specifically on how they are using DeAngelo Hall (returner as well as DB?), I'd be greatful.

Here's a link to the Atlanta Journal sports page. It's probably you're best bet for current news.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/index.html

Registration is required, but its free.

ESPN.com is visiting Falcons camp today. Stories will probably be posted tomorrow.

And here's the offical falcons site:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/

They also have nice pics from the cheerleader training camp :thumb:

Flagg Wanderer said:

The Falcons aren't using Hall at all right now.... He's one of 6 or 7 1st round picks who still haven't signed.

mgoblue101415 said:
The Falcons aren't using Hall at all right now.... He's one of 6 or 7 1st round picks who still haven't signed.

This is from the Atlanta Journal:

The Falcons expect their top draft pick, cornerback DeAngelo Hall, to end his holdout and report to training camp today after he and his agent agreed to a contract late Monday night.

No financial details were available, but a source close to negotiations said Hall's deal is for five years. All his agent, Joel Segal, would say was, "We agreed in principle to a deal."

Hall was the No. 8 overall pick, and the players drafted No. 7 (Detroit wide receiver Roy Williams), No. 9 (Jacksonville wide receiver Reggie Williams) and No. 10 (Houston cornerback Dunta Robinson) have already signed five-year deals.

Based on their contracts, Hall is likely to receive guaranteed money in the range of $12 million, which would be a franchise record. Quarterback Michael Vick's $11 million in guaranteed bonuses in 2001 was the previous Falcons record.

Although Hall missed the Falcons' first nine practices, coach Jim Mora said Monday afternoon that the former Virginia Tech star will be the No. 1 left cornerback when he reports.

The Falcons are to practice today at 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., but it was not clear Monday night if all the paperwork would be finished in time for Hall to sign the contract and participate in the morning practice.

NFL rules prohibit a player from practicing without a signed contract. To that end, team officials stayed up into the wee hours of Tuesday morning reviewing the document so Hall might sign it as soon as this morning.

Segal also represents the last Falcons rookie to stage a contract holdout -- running back T.J. Duckett stayed out of camp nine days in 2002. Segal arrived at Furman University on Sunday afternoon and negotiated with team president/general manager Rich McKay on several occasions that day, including a meeting after Sunday night's practice.

The two resumed lengthy negotiations Monday.

In Hall's absence, cornerbacks Tod McBride and Derek Ross got the most work with the No. 1 offense, although McBride's been out for the past four practices with a strained hamstring.

Hall may also be a factor as a punt returner this season.

Had to post this tidbit about one of my Michigan boys....

Broncos | LeSueur Listed as Fourth-String RCB - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:33:54 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos CB Jeremy LeSueur was listed as the fourth-team backup at right cornerback on the team's first official depth chart released Monday, Aug. 2.

With Denver's weak secondary Jeremy should be up to 2nd team by the end of taining camp. :thumb:

Jaguars | Shopping Garrard in 2005? - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:02:02 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars could be looking to trade QB David Garrard prior to the 2005 NFL Draft rather than let him walk away as a free agent following the '05 season without compensation.

No offense to Garrard but how much to the Jags think they can get for him??? Especially when you put this into account...

Jaguars | Garrard Participating in Camp - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:47:30 -0700

After undergoing surgery during the offseason to remove a significant portion of his large intestine following being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard (Crohn's Disease) says he has regained weight and has fully recovered from the operation, reports Vic Ketchman of Jaguars.com. "Physically fine; feeling great. I don't even feel like I had surgery," Garrard said. Reportedly, Garrard has been a little scatter-armed through the first three days of training camp and not as quick on his feet as he was before his medical emergency, but he said he expects to come around.

Who is going to trade anything for him????

Just a little odd that the Jags honestly think they can actually get something for him. :shrug:

Part of a story from the News Observer .

...The contract haggling has been complicated by the blockbuster draft-day deal: San Diego, with the No. 1 pick in the draft, selecting Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning, then trading him to the New York Giants for Rivers and draft choices. Rivers had been taken by the Giants with the No. 4 overall pick.

The sticking point: Should Rivers be compensated like the draft's No. 1 pick or the No. 4 pick?

As the team with the No. 1 overall pick, the Chargers were allocated $6.02 million from the rookie pool by the NFL. The Giants received $4.37 million from the pool to sign on rookies.

Manning, who publicly spurned the Chargers days before the draft in April and said he would not play in San Diego, signed a six-year deal with the Giants late last week that could pay him as much as $54 million. Included: a $20 million signing bonus.

San Diego general manager A.J. Smith, talking to reporters at the Chargers camp, dismissed Manning's deal with the Giants, saying it "has no bearing on our situation at all."...

So should Rivers get a contract comparable to Manning's?

IMO, yes. The Chargers wanted Rivers all along, but instead drafted Eli and made out like bandits in trading him for Rivers. SD has the #1 pick rookie pool cash, and they got the player that they wanted anyway, so Rivers should get a contract similiar to a #1 overall draft pick.

Course, that's just my opinion. :shrug:

Thanks for the help on D Hall, guys.

Strangely enough, I consider him a key component of my fantasy team this year.

Poor Colts

Colts begin quest for title

This season likely will be the final opportunity for this group of players to reach a Super Bowl.

By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com
August 2, 2004

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Tight end Marcus Pollard reported on Sunday for his 10th training camp with the Indianapolis Colts, driven in part by advice from a former teammate.

The veteran tight end gave little regard to the notion the team faces a closing window of opportunity. Instead, Pollard, 32 and one of the most veteran Colts, recalled comments last summer from defensive end Chad Bratzke.

"Chad said, 'Start counting the days and make the days count,' " Pollard said as he stood outside the players' dorm at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. "I know I'm going to look to do that myself."

Bratzke's point: Seize the moment, because the future is promised to no one. And isn't that the truth? Bratzke, a fixture in the defense since 1999, was released in February in a cost-cutting move.

Pollard listened to Bratzke's words, took them to heart.

"Yeah, Chad's not here," he said. "You never know. I may be in the same position next year that Chad was in.

"You've got to make each season count. Play it like it's your last. Hopefully everything will jell together and we'll get a championship."

The drive to Super Bowl XXXIX, which is Feb. 6 in Jacksonville, Fla., begins in earnest with this morning's first training-camp practice.

The Colts reached the AFC Championship game six months ago, losing 24-14 to eventual Super Bowl champ New England. It seems no one will be surprised if they make another serious bid.

Virtually every magazine and Web site projects the Colts as title contenders. Football Digest has them reaching Super Bowl XXXIX, losing to Philadelphia. Street & Smith's anticipates a Colts-New England rematch in the AFC title game, with the Patriots prevailing once again.

"You come in with high expectations," said Tony Dungy, who has directed the Colts to a 24-12 record and two playoff berths in his first two seasons as coach. "You come in thinking you're going to get the job done and you work toward that goal."

Added quarterback Peyton Manning: "This is the year we want to try to capitalize on."

He considered the uncertainty of tomorrow, next week, next year. Manning recalled the season-ending knee injury running back Edgerrin James suffered Oct. 25, 2001, in Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium.

"I've always felt there has been a sense of urgency the past couple of years since Edgerrin's injury," he said. "That proves we're all human.

"You want to try to take advantage of the team you have this year because you don't know who all is going to be here next year."

Therein lies the basis for the "window of opportunity" theory. At the end of the 2004 season, the Colts face the likelihood of losing several key players to unrestricted free agency and financial considerations.

Manning is going nowhere after signing a seven-year, $98 million contract in March. After that, there are no guarantees.

James and wide receiver Marvin Harrison can become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season. Re-signing both promises to be difficult. Other potential free agents include right tackle Ryan Diem, left guard Rick DeMulling, running back Dominic Rhodes, free safety Idrees Bashir, linebacker Rob Morris and cornerback Nick Harper.

Pollard and wide receiver Brandon Stokley are under contract in 2005, but each likely will have to have his contract addressed. Pollard's salary-cap number, a manageable $2.9 million this season, will approach $5 million in '05. Stokley's will go from less than $1 million this season to more than $7 million next year.

"In the NFL, you never know what you're going to have next year," Stokley said. "When you have a nucleus like we have, you have to take advantage of it."

Dungy agreed it's difficult to keep teams intact for a long period because of salary-cap issues.

"That's not to say that the team can't win next year if we don't have those same guys," he said. "We may have all of them here, we may not. Our job as coaches is to make sure we have a chance to win."

Doesn't your heart just bleed for the poor guys??????????????

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

mgoblue101415 said:
A couple stories on that former Pats QB, what's his name... :p

This guy?

I posted this pic in the training camp pics thread - but thought it was appropriate here too. ;)

mgoblue101415 said:
A couple stories on that former Pats QB, what's his name... :p

The Buffalo News

Wow, flashback! Reading that second article, you could pretty much just change the years and plug in Ernie Zampese's name for Gilbride, and go back to '98 or '99 and it would pretty much fit with all the same excuses.

Undertaker #59 said:
Wow, flashback! Reading that second article, you could pretty much just change the years and plug in Ernie Zampese's name for Gilbride, and go back to '98 or '99 and it would pretty much fit with all the same excuses.

It's like listening to Bills fans say things like ......

"All Bledsoe needs is an OL that can give him time."

or

"If Bledsoe had top notch receivers he'd be unstoppable."

or

"The offensive scheme needs to be changed to fit Bledsoe better."

Everytime I hear some Bills fan utter those words I just shake my head. :shake: How many years did we Pats fans utter those same things?? :banghead:

If Bledsoe was in the "perfect" situation, there would be no stopping him. Unfortunately, that ain't ever going to happen. :shake:

From the Palm Beach Post...

Running out of options
By Greg A. Bedard

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

DAVIE — The Dolphins had limited options to replace Ricky Williams when the running back announced his retirement just one week before training camp opened. That left Miami out of the running for Eddie George and Antowain Smith, the biggest names on the free-agent market.

Now another option is evaporating.

Free agent Stacey Mack, one of three backs the Dolphins have worked out, auditioned for the New York Giants on Sunday and is close to signing with them..

"There seems to be a lot of interest on both sides," said Tim McGee, Mack's agent. "Stacey is staying in the New York area. I think the chances are very good that something will be worked out in the next couple of days."

Mack played his first four seasons under current Giants coach Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville, including 2001 when Mack set career highs in starts (11) and rushing yards (877) while subbing for injured starter Fred Taylor. Mack spent last season in Houston but went on injured reserve after eight games (five starts).

The Dolphins were unimpressed by Mack, who they felt was in poor condition.

Miami also worked out Terry Kirby and James Allen but don't seem to have much interest in either player. Former Lions running back James Stewart was supposed to audition for the Dolphins, but had to cancel because of a death in the family.

Another rumor floating around, that the Dolphins would trade for Indianapolis running back Edgerrin James, was laughed off by the former University of Miami star at Colts camp Monday.

"It's entertainment," he told reporters at the Colts' practice. "I look at it as another comedy show."

James, who is a free agent after this season, admitted his family and friends would prefer he play closer to his hometown of Immokalee, but he isn't concerned with it right now.

"When next year comes, I'll worry about next year," James said. "Right now, I'm here, so I'll worry about that."

For now, the Dolphins seem content with the backs they have in camp, especially with the emergence of Sammy Morris to go along with starter Travis Minor.

Minor and Morris. :dance: :dance:

Oops, sorry...

That's too bad for the Phins. :(

ROFL

From the NY Daily News

Martin steps up workout
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004

To get in shape for his 10th season, really in shape, Curtis Martin worked out with the beautiful people in California. He ran the famous Santa Monica steps - a 200-step climb on an oceanside cliff - and hung out with former NFL great Jim Brown, playing marathon chess matches.
The vacation was a mind-and-body experience for Martin, highlighting his best (and healthiest) offseason in a long time. The Jets' 31-year-old stair master, refusing to concede anything to age, said yesterday his goal this season is to surpass his 2003 rushing total - 1,308 yards, the fourth-best mark of his career.

"Hopefully, it'll be much more," said Martin, usually hesitant to make bold predictions. "I'd love to be in the 1,500-yard range or above. I feel like I'm capable of it."

Aging running backs aren't supposed to drop such lofty numbers into the conversation, but Martin proved last season that he's not ready for the glue factory. After rushing for only 197 yards in the first four games - he called it the worst slump of his career - Martin averaged 93 yards per game for the remainder of the year.

Martin laughed as he recalled the nightmarish start, saying he never took it personally when people wondered if he was finished. His mother, on the hand, didn't appreciate the criticism.

"I told her, 'Mom, this isn't the end of the story; it's just one page in the book. I'm going to make all of them wrong,'" Martin said.

Martin attributed his slow start to a combination of three factors: Due to a severe ankle sprain in 2002, he didn't start his off-season running until a month before camp opened; he was limited to only one practice per day in camp; and he carried the ball only 13 times in the preseason.

In retrospect, he admits he wasn't ready for the season. This year, he vowed not to make the same mistakes.

"If I bump my head once, I'm not going to do it again," said Martin, who needs only 1,071 yards to vault from 11th to fifth on the NFL's all-time rushing list.

So he worked out like a madman in the offseason and convinced the coaches to limit his days off in training camp. The Jets have conducted seven practices, and Martin has participated in all seven. In the preseason games, he will get real work, not an occasional carry.

"When we go out on the practice field, he's the best player we have on offense," coordinator Paul Hackett said. "It's absolutely remarkable. Now we have to be smart and be careful we don't overdo it."

Indeed, they want to work LaMont Jordan's speed into the offense. For all his toughness and consistency, Martin managed only three runs longer than 20 yards in 2003. His average per carry has dropped two years in a row, from 4.5 to 4.2 to 4.0.

But Martin isn't thinking about retirement. He wants to play at least another two years beyond 2004, fulfilling his longtime goal of a 12-year career. His goal is to produce more yardage in the final six years than the first six, and he's ahead of the pace.

He's the anti-Ricky Williams. Asked if Williams' stunning retirement caused him to ponder his own mortality, Martin said, "It makes me feel even more immortal. He's a fifth-year back, maybe the most talented in the league, and he stopped. I'm 10 years in the league. I don't feel like I have the most talent, but I feel like I have one of the best work ethics. To me, it shows that a work ethic can outlast talent."

Ten years, and still climbing steps.

Hmmmm... Wasn't Ricky Williams spending a lot of time with Jim Brown as well????? :high:

Seriously, I've always liked Martin (even if he did join the evil forces of Parcells :mad: ) and hope he can keep it up for a few more years.

Cowboys | Parcells Likes What He Sees From George - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:13:54 -0700

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells already likes what he sees from RB Eddie George after two days of training camp. "I've already seen enough of Eddie George to know that there is some tread left on that tire," said Parcells.

Cowboys | Henson Switches Jersey Number - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:16:49 -0700

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Dallas Cowboys QB Drew Henson has switched his jersey number from No. 11 to No. 7. The number became available when the team released QB Chad Hutchinson.

Hmmm...... Seems that 7 has become Dallas' official number of has-been baseball players who become overrated football players.

ROFL :LOL:

Raiders | Brown Bulks Up; Running Harder - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:40:24 -0700

Greg Bell, of the Sacramento Bee, reports Oakland Raiders WR Tim Brown appears to have added some girth to his torso over the offseason. He also appears to be running with a bit of a plodding gait and more effort than he has in the past. Head coach Norv Turner said Brown's weight is good and he thinks he's running well. He hasn't been seeing a lot of action in training camp, but Turner noted the younger receivers need the work more than Brown does.

Raiders | Brown's Days Numbered? - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:40:49 -0700

Greg Bell, of the Sacramento Bee, reports Oakland Raiders WR Tim Brown's starting status and possibly job with the team is in limbo. Brown said he was scheduled to meet with owner Al Davis Monday, Aug. 2, but wouldn't say what the meeting was about other than noting he did not call the meeting. A source within the organization said the Raiders are considering releasing Brown before the preseason comes to an end.

Roethlisberger Signs

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers, QB Roethlisberger in 6-year, $14 million deal

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

By Alan Robinson, The Associated Press

First-round draft pick Ben Roethlisberger reached terms today on a six-year contract worth as much as $40 million with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The deal, reached following lengthy talks that began yesterday morning and extended into this morning, includes a Steelers club record $9,009,000 bonus that will be paid in signing and option bonuses of $600,000, $1,172,000 and $7,237,000 between now and March 1, 2005, the Associated Press learned.

Roethlisberger's first-year salary will be the minimum of $230,000.

The talks finally progressed when the Steelers agreed to pay Roethlisberger a larger bonus than the $8 million that Houston gave cornerback Dunta Robinson, who was drafted No. 10 overall, one spot ahead of Roethlisberger.

The Steelers initially wanted to give the quarterback a bonus less than what Robinson got but more than the $7.25 million that No. 12 pick Jonathan Vilma got from the New York Jets.

"We felt that quarterbacks deserve a premium, and the Steelers ultimately agreed," said Leigh Steinberg, Roethlisberger's agent.

Steinberg flew to Pittsburgh on Sunday night, after the talks stalled, and began face-to-face negotiations with Steelers negotiator Omar Khan and team president Art Rooney II.

Roethlisberger, from Miami (Ohio), was the first quarterback drafted by the Steelers on the first round since Mark Malone in 1980. He is expected to back up Tommy Maddox this season but move into the starting job as early as 2005.

The deal leaves five NFL first-round draft picks unsigned but gives the Steelers a full complement of quarterbacks in camp, which opened Friday. Yesterday, coach Bill Cowher suggested the three quarterbacks in camp might be getting too much work and he was thinking about bringing in a fourth quarterback to relieve the work load on Maddox, Charlie Batch and Brian St. Pierre.

Roethlisberger, the third quarterback chosen in the April draft, had hoped to sign before camp opened Friday, but still has missed only four practices.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Roethlisberger was drafted behind Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, but may have the strongest throwing arm of the group. He completed 854 of 1,304 passes for 10,829 yards at Miami of the Mid-American Conference, with 84 touchdown passes and 34 interceptions.

Roethlisberger plans to use some of his bonus money to aid the police and fire departments in his native Findlay, Ohio; to fund a scholarship at Miami and to aid pee wee football in Pittsburgh.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers have come to a six-year contract agreement with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, their first-round draft pick.

The contract includes a $9 million signing bonus and is worth a total of a little more than $14 million. Roethlisberger could make up to $40 million over the life of the contract if he reaches all the incentives, which set goals for playing time, performance, individual honors and team performance such as reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

He was on his way today from his home in Ohio to Steelers training camp in Latrobe.

Roethlisberger, who has missed the team's first four practices, is expected to arrive at Latrobe late this afternoon.

The Steelers and Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, had continued talks into last night in hopes of reaching a deal.

Back