NFL VP Of Officiating Mike Pereira Wants To Coach

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Wouldn't want to be RG's blood pressure monitor right now....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/21/meetings/1.html
Pereira, who turns 60 in April, hopes to find a team interested in taking him on when he leaves office in May. He believes he could train the team year-round in penalty prevention, working with the coaching staff on what makes officials reach for the flag on touchy calls like pass-interference, and then be in the coaches booth on Sunday upstairs telling the head coach when to throw the challenge flag.

"Say the average team gets 10 penalties for 75 yards,'' he said on a couch at the meetings here. "That doesn't count the calls that weren't accepted. I believe penalties have a bigger impact on the game than anyone realizes. I'm fascinated by the coaching aspect of it, of trying to cut down the penalties. Obviously it's never been done before, and I realize not every team would be interested in something like this. I think it's a matter of who's progressive enough to think about it. Who would take the chance?''

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Mike, there has never been a coaching staff in NFL history that has taught their players techniques to avoid getting called for penalties.

:cuckoo:

I would think a better way to get "bang for the buck" in penalty avoidance would be hire someone related to Bill Polian.

Pereira, who turns 60 in April, hopes to find a team interested in taking him on when he leaves office in May. He believes he could train the team year-round in penalty prevention, working with the coaching staff on what makes officials reach for the flag on touchy calls like pass-interference, and then be in the coaches booth on Sunday upstairs telling the head coach when to throw the challenge flag.

"Say the average team gets 10 penalties for 75 yards,'' he said on a couch at the meetings here. "That doesn't count the calls that weren't accepted. I believe penalties have a bigger impact on the game than anyone realizes. I'm fascinated by the coaching aspect of it, of trying to cut down the penalties. Obviously it's never been done before, and I realize not every team would be interested in something like this. I think it's a matter of who's progressive enough to think about it. Who would take the chance?''

Yes Mike, there has never been a coaching staff in NFL history that has taught their players techniques to avoid getting called for penalties.

I would think a better way to get "bang for the buck" in penalty avoidance would be hire someone related to Bill Polian.
I think his point was more "there's never been an official who went to the other side" before, to coach up a team in what the officiating crew is thinking. Obviously teams coach to avoid penalties, but he's talking about giving tips on what gets officials to throw flags, tips them off, etc.

^:mad::mad:^

Mike Pereira is like the Member of Congress who for years has been implementing a whole bunch of farblongjid farcockteh laws that when he leaves office he now wants to charge you $$ to tell you how to get around

HEY MIKE!! how's about you DON"T HAVE THEM GD RULES in the 1st place, you freekin putz :cuss:

Remember how Shula's Fins were always one of the lowest penalized teams in the NFL and HE was on the CC. He was Polian before Polian. :D

What's more concerning to me is that the guy who took Pereira's place is so overwhelmed by the subway that he sometimes walks to work.

Mike Pereira's successor as the NFL vice president of officiating, Carl Johnson, is sometimes so overwhelmed by the subway in Manhattan that he just walks 20 minutes to work.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/21/meetings/1.html#ixzz0j0araK0a

Manhattan subway system makes no sense at all. :shrug:

I had no problem with Boston, SF, DC. NYC's is just bizarre. Though I agree that you'd hope a new hire/promotion is comfortable enough dealing with new situations to learn it over time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Many teams, HS to Pro, bring in officials in the pre-season to talk to the team and officiate practices and scrimmages with an emphasis on educating the players. Dedicating a full-time staff spot to a ref to do this seems like over kill. Walking around practice getting on guys who commit penalties would lead to his being beaten by the position coaches.

A better idea would be having him watch practice and the practice film and take notes that he then passes onto the position coaches so they can address it their way. They may not kill him under those circumstances. They may just ignore him instead. He would have to learn to live with players being coached to get around the rules to.

I mean I could get it if it were faster to walk...sometimes when I lived in Boston I walked or rode my bike, weather permitting because it was actually faster than sitting around, waiting for the Red Line...going to connect to the Green Line...sitting there waiting for THAT...all the stops etc. But to do it because it was confusing? Never. And I was a naive kid from a small town in OH who never had to depend on public transportation for anything growing up...not a dude in charge of officials for the NFL.
I'm not saying dude can't be quirky or whatever, just that particular quirk is a little concerning for a guy in his position because of what it could indicate (avoiding complex situations or the easy way out).

this thread delivers! Mike P is more than welcome to be a secondary coach here :D

yeah...no not so much. From watching this guy try and make excuses for an obvious bad call, maybe football is not his thing, or wait...maybe it is.:coffee:

Imagine this...Pereira as a coach and RODNEY doing his ref thing he once wanted to do?
Delicious.

Back