NFLPA Files Appeal on Behalf of Tom Brady

I guess this is as good a thread as any to post this.

I wonder if we got to where we are because Goodell had a cunning plan.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gp5St7hORyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the history of screwing the pooch on Rice, Peterson, concussions, etc. last year, he was looking to turn the tables and make himself and the "shield" look better in the eyes of the public.

When this whole thing spun out of control shortly after the AFCCG, he realized he had an opportunity.

It's been documented that plenty of teams "are sure" the Pats are "cheaters" and there are plenty of people around the country that would love nothing more than to have something else to complain about the Pats.

So, if he hammered the Pats, that could be like Breads and Circuses to the Mob.

OK, to this point, I don't think I've said anything that others haven't mentioned.

However, the execution of this process makes me wonder if there was another element at play.

At every turn, it seems, they've executed this "cunning plan" in such a fashion to make a legal appeal in the courts not only a certainty, but almost certain to succeed.

Consider the following:

• The belief in the absolute certainty of every single recollection of Anderson, except which gauge he used
  • The great umbrage regarding the removal of the balls prior to the start of the game, even though it is easily demonstrated that this occurred in front of numerous NFL officials who didn't seem to give a damn
  • The exceedingly large disproportionate punishment compared to other teams transactions
  • The delegation of punishment to Vincent

Either they are complete and total morons ( which is something I am not so sure isn't true), or this was all intended to provide an easy out for the Pats should this end up in court.

So If Brady and the Pats take this to court, they are more likely to win, due to the actions of the NFL.

So Goodell could claim he "tried" to punish the Pats, but the courts interfered.

Lord knows there are plenty of people around the country, including other teams and fans, that would only know that the NFL had "punished" the Pats and it was only due to legal shenanigans that the punishment was avoided.

Goodell would appear to have been the "good guy" to all these people and they just might forget how he screwed the pooch on the other things.

Even if true, it wouldn't work
It would go right in the 'NFL can't do shit right' pile with Rice, Peterson, the Saints, etc.

The ineptitude IS really hard to believe, but I think it is real rather than cunningly contrived fail. I just don't think these clowns can reason that deeply...

Even if true, it wouldn't work
It would go right in the 'NFL can't do shit right' pile with Rice, Peterson, the Saints, etc.

The ineptitude IS really hard to believe, but I think it is real rather than cunningly contrived fail. I just don't think these clowns can reason that deeply...

Two things.

A) I never meant to suggest it was impossible that the NFL office wasn't simply filled with morons.

B) I don't think the vast majority of fans or other teams really care as much about those other issues. The "hate" against the Pats is very real, and I think that if it appeared as if he had brought the hammer down on us it would appeal to them.

Two things.

A) I never meant to suggest it was impossible that the NFL office wasn't simply filled with morons.

B) I don't think the vast majority of fans or other teams really care as much about those other issues. The "hate" against the Pats is very real, and I think that if it appeared as if he had brought the hammer down on us it would appeal to them.

I get you. I'm saying that if Roger thinks really TRYING to hammer the hated Pats but failing will bring him admiration and love, he's wrong. They'll all still hate NE and will hate Goodall more for letting the Pats 'get away wither murder...again!' because of shoddy investigation.

For the NFL to have sent an ignoramous like Wells as their escape goat is really setting themselves up because the Brady and hopefully Pats appeals will REALLY put EGG-CHIT on the NFL muckies faces. And Goodell will be the EGG-CHIT MONA LISA if he continues with his hearing of this appeal. :coffee:

I guess this is as good a thread as any to post this.

I wonder if we got to where we are because Goodell had a cunning plan.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gp5St7hORyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the history of screwing the pooch on Rice, Peterson, concussions, etc. last year, he was looking to turn the tables and make himself and the "shield" look better in the eyes of the public.

When this whole thing spun out of control shortly after the AFCCG, he realized he had an opportunity.

It's been documented that plenty of teams "are sure" the Pats are "cheaters" and there are plenty of people around the country that would love nothing more than to have something else to complain about the Pats.

So, if he hammered the Pats, that could be like Breads and Circuses to the Mob.

OK, to this point, I don't think I've said anything that others haven't mentioned.

However, the execution of this process makes me wonder if there was another element at play.

At every turn, it seems, they've executed this "cunning plan" in such a fashion to make a legal appeal in the courts not only a certainty, but almost certain to succeed.

Consider the following:

• The belief in the absolute certainty of every single recollection of Anderson, except which gauge he used
  • The great umbrage regarding the removal of the balls prior to the start of the game, even though it is easily demonstrated that this occurred in front of numerous NFL officials who didn't seem to give a damn
  • The exceedingly large disproportionate punishment compared to other teams transactions
  • The delegation of punishment to Vincent

Either they are complete and total morons ( which is something I am not so sure isn't true), or this was all intended to provide an easy out for the Pats should this end up in court.

So If Brady and the Pats take this to court, they are more likely to win, due to the actions of the NFL.

So Goodell could claim he "tried" to punish the Pats, but the courts interfered.

Lord knows there are plenty of people around the country, including other teams and fans, that would only know that the NFL had "punished" the Pats and it was only due to legal shenanigans that the punishment was avoided.

Goodell would appear to have been the "good guy" to all these people and they just might forget how he screwed the pooch on the other things.

IMHO

My feelings are the league really had no idea about IGLs and I'm not even sure Grigson did either. Harbuargh on the other hand most definitely. I don't think Goodell knew about anything. He was covering the a$$'s of the league offices with the help of Wells. They ignored a complaint that turned or they thought turned out to be true and the Colts were irate and leaked all the initial info. Now you have to cover the leagues failings even though there really weren't any as far as the complaint went. Unfortunately all those in the league and perhaps the Colts, but i think the Grigson may know more now and even know he was played, involved didn't know the IGLs until after the fact and even now i believe they (the league) believe the wells report is accurate.

~Dee~

I'd be inclined to agree with you, if it weren't for the way people reacted toward Bountygate.

Remember, people fed into the outrage machine thanks to ESPN/NFLN when that broke, and people sort of nodded their head in agreement when those Draconian punishments came down.

Then the Saints appealed. Then Tagliabue came in and overturn much of the suspensions (of those who challenged. Sean Payton didn't, because they nabbed him for stealing drugs too), and the Federal Courts overturned the rest.

Now people remember Bountygate as a witch hunt, and not Goodell being "tough on crime".

Love this comment from the section under the Florio article:

This whole thing is like a speeding trap. They get you on radar going 67 mph in a 65 mph zone with a radar gun that was never calibrated. They send it the ATF, FBi, and Homeland Security to pick you up. They then sentence you to a year in jail because the cop who wrote the ticket decided that was fair because you had another moving violation over eight years ago. You go to court to fight it, and the cop that wrote the punishment has his seargeant being the judge. Seems like a pretty fair process to me (sarcasm)

Back