NH PoutineFest is a celebration of the French-Canadian classic, poutine!

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
NH PoutineFest is a celebration of the French-Canadian classic, poutine! Restaurants from all over New England will entice you with their spin on this Canadian treasure.

Restaurants will also be competing against each other for the “Best Poutine Of The Fest” and only one will get to raise the Ceinture de Championnat/Championship Belt.

This year’s event will take place on June 25, 2016, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the home of the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (GO Cats!) – Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. What better way to bring all things Canadian and American together!

poutine-in-whistler.jpg

LINK

NH PoutineFest is a celebration of the French-Canadian classic, poutine! Restaurants from all over New England will entice you with their spin on this Canadian treasure.

Restaurants will also be competing against each other for the “Best Poutine Of The Fest” and only one will get to raise the Ceinture de Championnat/Championship Belt.

This year’s event will take place on June 25, 2016, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the home of the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (GO Cats!) – Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. What better way to bring all things Canadian and American together!

poutine-in-whistler.jpg

LINK

So I hit the link and it says it's hosted by the Franco American society. Wasn't it the Franco American society that brought us Spaghettio's?

Ask anyone from New Brunswick what a poutine is and the pic below is what you'll get. Growing up in the French-Canadian section of Fitchburg, anything other than this is cause for a fight.

That being said, I detested them as a kid and still can't stand the sight of them. But my parents made me help out once a year when they'd make a huge batch of them. My brother still makes a 1 1/2 hour drive to Fitchburg once a month to pick up a pot of them. There's an organization called "The Poutine Ladies" who make large batches every month and sell them on a first come basis.

The Quebec version looks much better

Ask anyone from New Brunswick what a poutine is and the pic below is what you'll get. Growing up in the French-Canadian section of Fitchburg, anything other than this is cause for a fight.

That being said, I detested them as a kid and still can't stand the sight of them. But my parents made me help out once a year when they'd make a huge batch of them. My brother still makes a 1 1/2 hour drive to Fitchburg once a month to pick up a pot of them. There's an organization called "The Poutine Ladies" who make large batches every month and sell them on a first come basis.

good lord those are scary - I like looking at the Quebec version better.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Mmmmmmm.....
My kids begged for these, EVERYONE eats them dad!! was the cry.

I cooked them once and they looked into the bowl and turned up their nose, so I made them try them.

Never again have I made them.

good lord those are scary - I like looking at the Quebec version better.

Basically, they're just ground up potatoes with a large piece of either pork or beef in the middle. They're wrapped in cheese cloth to hold the ball together and then boiled. My job was to take the ground up potatoes (from a home made electric grinding machine) and make the balls.

For me, the big turn off is the texture and smell. The bad memories are permanently fused in my brain.

:Eason:

Here's a Quebec style made by moi :)

I was raised in Northwestern New Brunswick and I've NEVER even seen this. Maybe because of my close proximity to the Quebec Border, I was saved from this :shrug_n:

I've always known poutine in the true sense for which it was intended - fries, beautiful dark gravy and LOADS of cheese curds - the more the better.

I was raised in Northwestern New Brunswick and I've NEVER even seen this. Maybe because of my close proximity to the Quebec Border, I was saved from this :shrug_n:

I've always known poutine in the true sense for which it was intended - fries, beautiful dark gravy and LOADS of cheese curds - the more the better.

:shrug:

Maybe it's very specific to a region. My family was from the coastal areas of NB. Most of those in the section of Fitchburg I grew up in were from the area. My best friend was born in Moncton and he doesn't know anything else.

Facebook has a page dedicated to it:

Official Acadian Poutine Râpée Facebook Group

Are those cheese curds?

If there are no cheese curds, it ain't Poutine. Bottom line. :coffee:

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

:shrug:

Maybe it's very specific to a region. My family was from the coastal areas of NB. Most of those in the section of Fitchburg I grew up in were from the area. My best friend was born in Moncton and he doesn't know anything else.

Facebook has a page dedicated to it:

Official Acadian Poutine Râpée Facebook Group

Notice they call it "Rapee". Why? Because Rapist was already taken. :coffee:

Just helping out here. A thread of such consequence deserves a page 2. :coffee:

(hope I didn't hurt Mikie's feelings)

Cheers, BostonTim

My favorite Canadian cuisine isn't poutine, it's the smoked meat sandwich, which I indulge in on every trip to Montreal.

Back