Nice article on Danny Woodhead in SI

Thanks a lot for the article!

I love Woodhead. While I wasn't phased too much when we picked him up, I'm excited to see how better he performs every week. He fits incredibly in our offense and I'm glad to have him here and for a couple more years down the stretch.

Thanks for the read. Good read.

Love it. Great read. Thanks for posting.

My favorite bit:

Woodhead does it all consistently enough, with at least one spectacular head-shaking play per game, to have just been awarded a contract through 2012 that (with incentives that no one now doubts he'll meet) is worth more than $3 million -- which isn't small change for a small guy who, three months ago, with a pink slip from the Jets in hand, was driving back home with his wife to Nebraska in his '08 Tahoe. Without a job.

So is he now going to upgrade the ride? "Nope -- no way," Woodhead says, his eyes low-lidded, his face routinely expressionless. "Why get a different car?," Woodhead says. "I'm tellin' you man, I'm going to be the same person I've always been."

So the sudden money means nothing? "Unh-unh. Not at all," he says. "That's not what I'm playing for. You know what I'm sayin'? It's my job. I'm older now. And I'm married, and I need a job. The money is not something I think about. It's not something I ever want to think about. That's not what I'm about. That's not who I am."

I love it when they aren't dickbags in real life.

Wait...WIFE?!?!? :blink: :mad: :crying:

:D Just kidding! The more I hear from this kid, the more I :heart: having him on our team. Sounds like such a Pat through and through, I'd think he'd have been miserable as a Jest. Happy to be getting a good paycheck, but you know what I'm sayin....

I was reading a thread over on JI about Woody and someone dropped this bomb.

He makes fools of Rex and Tanny and their "win now" campaign. Clowney wasn't a keeper, and what good is Joe McBench?

For some reason, the Joe McBench things makes me literally LOL. >)

Another article by Dan Pompei of NFP with comments by an opposing coach - classic.

Of course the world underestimated Danny Woodhead. He’s 5-7, 195 pounds — too small. He played against Division II competition at Chadron State — not enough of a test. And he’s white — the wrong color for a running back, according to the stereotype.
Leave it to Bill Belichick to find his value. Woodhead bounced around on the Jets for more than two years after they took him as an undrafted free agent. He spent 2008 on injured reserve, and was moved to wide receiver in 2009. This year, it appeared the Jets made the decision to cut Woodhead in the fourth round of the April draft when they drafted Joe McKnight. Even though Woodhead clearly outplayed McKnight in the preseason, they kept the draft pick and cut Woodhead on Sept. 14.
Later that week, one day before the Patriots came to town, Woodhead was picked up by the Jets’ primary rival. The Patriots had an opening for a back after trading Laurence Maroney. During that first Patriots-Jets game, Kevin Faulk suffered a season ending injury. And opportunity’s door swung open wide for one Danny Woodhead.
Since that time, Woodhead has established himself as the Patriots’ nickel running back. He has 355 rushing yards, an average of 5.4 per carry, and 334 receiving yards — 104 of which came against his former team last Monday.
Danny-Woodhead.jpg
ICONBill Belichick finds ways to get the most out of players like Danny Woodhead.
While the Patriots certainly have shown they know how to use the former Harlon Hill winner, Belichick maintains Woodhead could be productive in any system. “He’s a good third down back,” he told me. “He’d do everything Mewelde Moore does for Pittsburgh, or [LaDainian] Tomlinson does for the Jets on third downs. He’d play for any team that uses a third down back.”
Woodhead will get another opportunity to prove that Sunday when the first place Patriots travel to Chicago to take on the first place Bears. On a day when extreme cold and high winds are expected, and on a playing surface in which less than ideal footing is expected, a player like Woodhead could play a significant role.
Woodhead rushed for more yards than anyone in the history of college football, but he’ll probably never be a league-leader at the NFL level. What he can be is an outstanding role player, the kind of chess piece that Belichick uses in spots with a high degree of effectiveness. He really is the perfect replacement for Faulk.
“There are a lot of similarities between Woodhead and Faulk, which is what we saw when we took him,” Belichick said. “We kind of thought we were getting a younger Kevin Faulk with a lot of receiving skills, and even though he is an undersized guy, he has some interior run skills. He’s also a tough kid like Kevin.”
This is what one defensive coordinator who has tried to stop Woodhead this season told me about him. “Woodhead is the real deal. He must be about two feet tall, but he’s tough as nails, catches the ball and makes yards after the catch. He will block any linebacker on a blitz and I haven’t seen him show any fear at all. He can and does run the ball well inside and you better be ready when be ready when you attempt to tackle him. I could go on and on about this kid. He puts his helmet on and lays it on the line on every snap and that is how we used to play the game. This kid is a throwback, God bless him.”
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-1354.html

Back