Now that he's won a SB with 2 teams...

Sir Otilc

Reaction score
We all live on the edge of town, where we live ain
...who will the Hall of Fame mention more prominently when AV's inducted, the Pats or the Colts?

Granted, he was pretty much a non-factor for the Colts this playoff season (5 FG vs. the Ravens aside, those kicks were nothing spectacular) and he did miss a chippie FG in the Super Bowl vs. his clutch kicks in the snow and 2 Super Bowl game-winners for the Pats.

Does the player have any say in how they're mentioned at the Hall of Fame or is it strictly the call of the Hall?

It would be the height of all things that suck if AV gave the Colts more play than his career with the Pats.

Ray Bourque
Boston Bruin

Adam Vinatieri
New England Patriot

If he goes to the HOF it wont be because of what he did with the Colts

Yeah unless he does something amazing for us (like 4 or 5 times) he will go in a patriot (with hopefully an "*" mentioning he won at least one with us.)

Kicking 30 yard fg's in our SB is not what made him famous.

If his career ended today (god why am I tempting fate) I would be peeved if we got to claim his awesomeness all to ourselves, and I am one of the bad guys.

Unless he goes to the SB with the Colts three more times and has an actual hand in the outcome, being a Colt will only be a side note of his HOF carreer.

He's going into the HOF as a Patriot, he made his name as a Patriot.

Not sure who else here has been to the Hall of Fame, but the plaque that's created for the inductees does allow for a "main" team and secondary teams. The player is inducted as a member of his "main" team, but any teams on which he made significant contributions are marked by a smaller pic of the player in that uniform inset into the plaque.

So Mike Haynes is inducted as a Raider, but his plaque has a small picture of him in his Pats uniform.

I'm not sure how much of a say the player has in this. But my guess would be he's inducted as a Pat with a smaller pic of him in his Colts' uniform.

My question is... does the hall choose the team, or does the player?

Steve-o on 02-06-2007 at 12:43 PM said:
My question is... does the hall choose the team, or does the player?

This is from the Hall of Fame website. It's not any clearer after reading this.

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

So I'm still not sure who selects the main picture associated with each player if that player was on multiple teams. In some cases it's obvious. i.e - Joe Montana was going to be inducted as a 49'er.

I never had any thought about whether he was a great guy or not. I have no idea! But as a fan of the Pats he was dead to me when he went to the Dolts. It strictly the laundry.

maybe I'm old fashioned but a guy stays with the team that gave him the biggest
opportunity of his career

True He is a very very talented player

True He has contributed mightily to the Patriots saga.

But the motivation to leave.....
the team, his mates

How many millions does he need ?

Its a pretty sad commentary

on him as a person.

A person really only has two things in life

His/Her self respect

And his/Her family

I really don't care about AV

if he makes the HOF so be it

I can understand how you feel about Adam, but if you hate Adam just because he took the money elsewhere...

how can you root for free agents the Patriots have signed, like Rosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, etc.?

Free agency's part of the game. You win some, you lose some.

:shrug:

Steve-o on 02-06-2007 at 06:15 PM said:
I can understand how you feel about Adam, but if you hate Adam just because he took the money elsewhere...

how can you root for free agents the Patriots have signed, like Rosevelt Colvin, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, etc.?

That's just it. He did not take the money. He gave up money to play inside a dome.

The Colts gave him 200 grand more than what the Pats offered. His commericals in NE would have more than made up for that.

He did not leave for the money.

He left to play half his games in a dome.

Last time I checked, Vinatieri has 4 Super Bowl rings - more than any player on the Patriots. Perhaps we should just give this a rest and say he made the wise decision signing with the Colts? :spock:

It is still about winning isn't it? Or are we still debating class?

I'm sad to say this, but Adam is dead to me now. I hate Damon much more, but Adam is in the same area code.

Of all the teams he could have gone to....

Not gonna lie, I laughed when he missed the FG in the SB.

Because he couldn't man up and say it was for the money, or for playing in a dome....for a kicker to leave for "playing time" is assanine to me!

That's not well thought out. In the era of free agency you root for the uniform...period. Whoever is on ethe team you root for become "your guys." Players have no loyalty to teams or cities. Why should fans?

bideau on 02-06-2007 at 12:07 PM said:

So Mike Haynes is inducted as a Raider, but his plaque has a small picture of him in his Pats uniform.

I'm not sure how much of a say the player has in this. But my guess would be he's inducted as a Pat with a smaller pic of him in his Colts' uniform.

Mike Haynes is listed equally for both the Pats and Raiders, because his career was split up pretty much down the middle.
Players don`t have a choice as to what team they represent...all teams are listed. Go to the HOF website, and click on any player, and all their teams are listed equally.
The place where they aren`t listed prominently is under Franchises, where each teams HOF players are listed...ie, Reggie White is listed under the Panthers in small print, but under the Packers in bold print.

Back