Official Mega Super Bowl Prediction Thread

Ray Crittenden

Sometimes
Reaction score
Didnt see a thread on this so make your official mega super bowl picks here ...

Patriots 31 - Seahawks 17

MVP Tom Brady

Unsung Hero - Offensive Line

Close game until 10 minutes left and a long drive and TD pass to Tim Wright puts it away.

:celebrate:

PFF Predicts

New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks
<table class="white" align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
NewEngland100.png
</td> <td>
seattleNEW100.png
</td> <td>
NewEngland100.png
</td> <td>
seattleNEW100.png
</td> <td>
NewEngland100.png
</td> <td>
seattleNEW100.png
</td> <td>
seattleNEW100.png
</td> <td>
NewEngland100.png
</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align: center;">Ben</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Gordon</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Khaled</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Nathan</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Neil</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Rick</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Sam</th> <th style="text-align: center;">Steve</th> </tr> </tbody> </table>
Ben - New England Patriots
I think this can be the Super Bowl that last year’s game was supposed to be and it would seem that I’ve not learned my lesson as I’m going against the Seahawks for the second year in a row. On offense I think the Patriots have a chameleon nature to them that enables them to exploit the right matchups each week in the same way that Bill Belichick can re-engineer their defense from week to week to shutdown opposing offenses. Finally this year Belichick has the tools on defense not to just keep pace with an opposing offense through scheme but to take over the game and shut them down. If the Patriots can (by scheme, play calling or performance) keep Michael Bennett quiet and prevent him from playing the Justin Tuck role, I think they’ll have just enough to edge this close battle.
Gordon - Seattle Seahawks
Like last year, when the Seahawks went up against a Peyton Manning-led offense I’m excited to see how the battle between the Seahawks’ defense and Patriots offense goes. Seemingly constantly evolving, the Patriots are always finding new ways to exploit mismatches against their opponents, with the new wrinkle of using four offensive linemen and leaving a skill position player ineligible the latest trick. In a straight up battle between the two I think Seattle has the edge, but if the Patriots can use something like that to put Seattle on the back foot, they can definitely beat the Seattle defense. Where I think the game will be won and lost is behind the arm of Russell Wilson, who hasn’t been anywhere near as good a passer as he was a year ago. We saw him rebound late in the NFC Championship against Green Bay, though, and I think they find a way to come up with enough big plays to beat the Patriots late to repeat as Champions.
Khaled - New England Patriots
A tough one. Key battle for me is how the Seahawks move the ball against a Patriots defense that is better than what it faced against Denver in the Super Bowl last year. If New England wins they’ll get the kind of field position and situational football that doesn’t force them to become one-dimensional and play into Seattles hands. If Seattle wins then we could see a repeat of last year. Ultimately, I think NE wins in a low-scoring affair, but the reality is this one is too close to call with two tremendously talented football teams capable of hitting heights hard to handle.
Nathan - Seattle Seahawks
There are a number of areas where they are close to evenly matched, but I think the areas where Seattle has an advantage outweighs the areas where New England does. Marshawn Lynch has been great at making guys miss, and a few Patriots have been worse than average at missing tackles. Both offensive lines have been below average, but Seattle has the weapons in Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett to take advantage of the Patriots’ offensive line, while the New England pass rush isn’t as effective. Seattle also has a slight edge with their special teams. If New England wins it will be in large part thanks to Gronkowski and Seattle killing themselves with penalties, but I think the slight odds go towards a Seahawks repeat.
Neil - New England Patriots
It’s the Patriots. I picked them at the start and I like my odds even more now. Before you accuse me of boasting I should admit this is my third year in a row of going with New England but this year their defense (at least on the back end) has improved enough to help my bank balance. It’s not all plain sailing – their interior O-line is very suspect (I expect to see Michael Bennett inside a lot) while on defense they don’t muster much of a rush – but I still think it will be enough. The best mind in football will find a way to limit Marshawn Lynch (my “new” choice for MVP) and give Russell Wilson (knee deep in the worst season of his career) fits. It’ll be a lot closer than against Indianapolis, but the third time will be my charm.
Rick - Seattle Seahawks
Torn, as many are, I’m settling away from the team I chose from the outset, abandoning my chance at an “I called it!” moment, and going with Seattle. Two teams that simply have that ability to ‘get it done’ when it matters, for me it comes down to the chances of each shutting down the opposite’s biggest threat, and I see Seattle being more effective against Gronk than New England against Lynch. I don’t think either of those key players blows up as they’ll each surely be a focus, but my money would be on the not-to-be-denied nature of the Seattle runner before any other in the game.
Sam – Seattle Seahawks
I’m picking the Seahawks but at this point it’s largely out of stubbornness. I think in the abstract Seattle has been the best team in football this season, but the more I examine this specific match up the less I like it for them. New England just seems tailor made to have success against them in the same way the Seahawks were custom made to destroy the high-flying Denver offense a year ago. I think it will be a close game either way, and if Seattle wins it’s because they don’t spot their opposition a double-digit lead for two games running.
Steve - New England Patriots
The game features a number of great matchups on paper. Can the Patriots offense move the ball against Seattle’s defense? Can New England’s defense match the league’s best defense of the last three seasons? While I’m not expecting a shootout, I think New England can move the ball a number of different ways offensively and I think their defense can play up to Seattle’s level, at least in a one-game setting. New England’s ability to dictate matchups for Rob Gronkowski will be huge factor while the backfield threats of Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson will be the key for Seattle’s offense as they might have a tough time passing against New England’s secondary. I’m expecting a close game and an outstanding back and forth battle between two well-coached teams. I’ll give the edge to New England by a field goal.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/30/pff-pickem-super-bowl-xlix/

Here is a little factoid that I heard. When two #1 seeds face each other the winning teams win by and average of 22 points... Do you think a TOm Brady team will lose to this Seahawks by 22 points or more? I can see the Seahawks Offense Floundering giving turnovers to our Pats D and giving TFB xtra opportunities. Patriots win 41 to 17

Like your style, Piggy.

Pats 31
Seattle 21

Pats 27
Hawks 20

Key to the win .... Pats OL.
TFB MVP

I'd love to see a reasonable facsimile of the NE/DET game. Huge KO returns, D holding opposing O to FGs, TFB lighting it up, decent running game.

NE 30
SS 13

Don't know about the score but I see shades of the 04 AFCCG in this one. Going against a dominant defense that likes to talk a lot and who got really lucky to win their previous game, a pissed of Pats team rolls in and Brady plays imo the best game of his career and obliterates that defense. Oh and Brady was sick during that game as well like he's been this week.

I promise I'm not doing some karma thread crap, but I think the Seahawks win this one.Seahawks 24 Pats 20. I am a pessimist by nature.Reassuringly, I am 3 for 6 in predicting Pats Super bowls that I've seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

From Grantland's head honcho, Bill Simmons.

Patriots (-1) over Seahawks
Are we SURE Seattle’s defense is that good? The Seahawks aren’t playing at home. Their fantastic secondary suddenly has Earl Thomas playing with a dislocated shoulder and Richard Sherman playing with a mystery elbow injury. They slowly rebuilt their badass defensive reputation after back-to-back losses to Tony Romo (Week 6) and Austin Davis (Week 7) by beating Cam Newton,

Derek Carr and

Eli Manning,

losing to Alex Smith,

then beating Drew Stanton,

Colin Kaepernick (twice),

Mark Sanchez,

Ryan Lindley,

Shaun Hill,

Newton again, then

a one-legged Aaron Rodgers.

Their pass rush is pretty good, but not great; it’s certainly not on the level of the 2007/2011 Giants. Even when they were at home, when Manning and Rodgers needed to drive on them for game-tying drives this season, they did it pretty easily.
I don’t know if this year’s Patriots could beat last year’s Seahawks … but they can beat this year’s Seahawks. They won’t make dumb mistakes like Carolina did. They won’t wuss out on fourth-and-1 and fourth-and-goal like Green Bay did. They won’t let Wilson’s legs beat them. They’ll win the special teams battle against Seattle’s secretly flimsy special teams. They won’t allow Seattle’s pass rush to knock Brady around. They should be able to rip off long drives, protect the ball and keep Wilson and Lynch off the field … IF Brady plays well.
Which brings me to my three biggest concerns: New England’s own shaky pass rush (perfect for Wilson to buy some time and do Wilson things), Lynch activating Beast Mode (just a tough matchup for the Pats in every respect), and Brady not totally being Brady (very possible). See, there’s a not-quite-good-enough Brady performance always lurking; we saw it during the second Giants Super Bowl, and we saw it during that terrific Packers-Pats game in November. It’s what happens when your QB hits his late thirties — when you’re asking him to throw 35-40 times a game to win, you know you’re getting a couple of ground balls, one wobbler, one awful pick and one wide-open deep pass that’s 2 yards too long. That’s what Seattle is banking on. Pressure over time. They don’t care if he’s Tom Brady. They care that he’s 37 years old. And that he doesn’t throw no-hitters, or even four-hitters, anymore.
And that’s all fine. But here are the stakes for Sunday: If the Patriots win and Brady plays well, he’s the greatest QB of all time AND he shoves the last two weeks in everyone’s face. Normally, Super Bowls don’t hinge on one player or one question because too many people affect a typical football game. But this game actually does hinge on the question, “How great is Tom Brady at age 37?”
My answer: not totally great, but great enough. I could totally see him standing on that platform on Sunday, four months after that disaster in Kansas City, fighting off tears and holding that Super Bowl MVP trophy. I could see Goodell quickly handing that Lombardi to Kraft and fading into the background before the boos get any worse. I could see Belichick answering Bob Costas’s first question by saying, “We’re on to next season” and giving that little shit-eating Belichick smirk. And I could see everything getting undermined the following day by some “new” revelation to Deflategate that gets debunked three days later. That’s my favorite football team, the New England Patriots, the perfect champion for a truly effed-up season.
The Pick: Patriots 27, Seahawks 19
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-mailbag-seattle-seahawks-new-england-patriots/

The Seahawks didn't play one tough team the second half of the season and when they did Green Bay gave the game to them. I don't think its close. I think we win big.

Our Beloved Pats 38
Seahawks wishing they were a dynasty 13

Seahwaks 43
Colts 8

The NFL declares the Patriots out of the Super Bowl because of the their cheating ways. They declare the Colts AFC Champions and to make it fair they allow Peyton Manning to QB the colts because of his clutch performances in big games.

I've gone back and forth on this and I'm not sure if it's the homer in me going pats or the pessimist in me thinking the worst.

I'd be curious what the SB prediction threads looked like the last couple of times :)

Pats 23
Sea 21

Everyone is picking a close game and the more I hear people pick a close game the less I think it's actually going to be a close game. Look at what happened last year.

My prediction which is based on absolutely nothing and surely will be wrong is

Patriots 26
Seahawks 10

Back