Onto Seattle

Pneumonic

Reaction score
OK, it's a trip to the west coast. To play in a very tough environment.

All the talk in this game seems to focus on the Pats vaunted offense going up against the Seahawks top defense. But, the thing that sticks out to me is the Seahawks unimpressive offense (17 points per game) being led by a QB who is tossing INT's galore.

As good as the Seahawks defense appears my guess is the Pats offense (if healthy) scores in the 20's this game. The question then becomes ..... can the Seahawks offense keep up?

The Seahawks average the second least passing yards per game. They average almost as many rushing yards per game (147.0 passing/game to 140.2 rushing/game). If the defense can keep Marshawn Lynch in check, the Patriots should be fine. Seattle's passing offense doesn't scare me at all...

NE will control this game from start to finish, and I expect them to win by at least 20 points. The Seahawks' weaknesses play to NE's strengths.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...es-mistakes/j3YqywXPSwUXccG0m9ptJM/story.html

Seattle defense overcomes mistakes

By TIM BOOTH
AP Sports Writer / October 8, 2012

RENTON, Wash. (AP) — For a change, the conversation about whether Russell Wilson was the best option at quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks was a bit muted on Monday.

Rightfully so after the performance the Seahawks defense turned in a day earlier in shutting down Cam Newton and Carolina.

And while Seahawks coach Pete Carroll felt the effort his defense put forth in Sunday’s 16-12 win could be the best since he took over in 2009, he also added this bit of caution.

‘‘We’re just getting better. It feels like we are very, very early in the stages so hopefully we can keep going,’’ Carroll said.

Despite all the ways the Seahawks tried to give away Sunday’s game, the end result was their defense would not let it happen. Facing the Panthers’ unique offense, Seattle limited them to 190 total yards, a combined 2 of 15 on third and fourth downs and the worst day passing in Newton’s young career.

Newton was just 12 of 29 for 141 yards and was sacked four times. Only one other time in his two seasons has Newton completed less than 50 percent of his attempts.

The 190 yards of total offense were the fewest allowed by the Seahawks since November 2007 against San Francisco. Carolina had only two plays of more than 20 yards after coming into the week averaging more than five per game.

‘‘Most teams, after three turnovers, something would go wrong. But our defense held on and fought hard and we stayed true to what we were there to do and finished the game really well,’’ Carroll said. ‘‘It was an exciting game for our guys. I love seeing that we played so well and so tough on defense.’’

There were plenty of moments when the Seahawks defense shined on Sunday and cornerback Brandon Browner was often in the middle. It was Browner’s strip of DeAngelo Williams and subsequent fumble recovery in the third quarter that changed the momentum after Seattle had gifted the Panthers three turnovers, including Captain Munnerlyn’s 33-yard interception return for a touchdown to give Carolina a 10-6 lead.

Browner’s forced fumble led to Wilson’s touchdown pass to Golden Tate that gave the Seahawks the lead late in the third quarter.

But the burly cornerback wasn’t done. He and Marcus Trufant combined to tackle Carolina’s Louis Murphy at the 1-yard line on third-and-goal with less than 4 minutes remaining when it appeared he would score easily and potentially give Carolina the lead. On fourth-and-goal, Newton rolled out of the pocket, but threw a pass intended for Ben Hartsock into the turf.

‘‘The four plays down there were really extraordinary,’’ Carroll said of the goal-line stand. ‘‘That’s a fun situation to be in. As a defense that is as intense as it gets and as exciting as it gets to play ball, so much at stake and the game on the line and all that and to come through is really huge.’’

Overshadowed by the play of the Seahawks defense was Wilson’s best performance as Seattle’s starting QB. He completed 19 of 25 passes for 221 yards, but was intercepted twice. The throw that Munnerlyn intercepted was a poor decision and a poor throw, but the other interception was a ball that Marshawn Lynch should have caught.

After seemingly weekly debate about whether Wilson was the right choice to be the starter over Matt Flynn, Sunday’s efficiency quieted the talk for a bit.

Instead, the concerns continued about red zone efficiency. Seattle has just four touchdowns in 14 trips inside its opponents’ 20 this season. Seattle outgained Carolina 174-93 in the first half on Sunday, yet led only 6-3 at halftime because it stalled inside the Panthers’ 20.

Additionally, Seattle continues to struggle with penalties and had a number of big plays called back on Sunday, most notably a 56-yard pass to Tate and a pair of long runs by Lynch. The Seahawks enter this week’s home game against New England as the most penalized team in the league.

‘‘I better start reinforcing a lot better than I'm doing. I'm not doing a very good job here. It’s not because it’s not emphasized, the message isn’t hitting home yet,’’ Carroll said. ‘‘We just stay after it. We have very aggressive guys, we sought them out and now we’re having to deal with it.’’

The Seahawks average the second least passing yards per game. They average almost as many rushing yards per game (147.0 passing/game to 140.2 rushing/game). If the defense can keep Marshawn Lynch in check, the Patriots should be fine. Seattle's passing offense doesn't scare me at all...

I think this the game where Pete might pull Wilson & put in Matt Flynn. Not that it will really matter.

NE will control this game from start to finish, and I expect them to win by at least 20 points. The Seahawks' weaknesses play to NE's strengths.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...es-mistakes/j3YqywXPSwUXccG0m9ptJM/story.html

I totally agree with you ! This article sums it up very nicely. I also believe the Pats no huddle O will turn Seattle's D into mush yielding Pats mighty fine running and passing balanced O game to have its way all afternoon long. Unless Pats D suffers from brain and body game total loss, I do not see anything or anyone on Seattle O making more big plays or even slightly keeping up with the Pats O attack. For these reasons Pats should win big, imho, too. :thumb:

Seattle is the 85 bears at their stadium, they are such a different team there. I hated this game on the calendar since I saw it. Yeah their offense is not the greatest, they do have a very good run game, and well, QB's seem to be ok passing against us, so I do not see that being an issue, the question is, can we score enough to win, because I am not sure we can run that well, and Brady is going to be under constant pressure..I will be surprised if this is a game we win.

Seattle is the 85 bears at their stadium, they are such a different team there. I hated this game on the calendar since I saw it. Yeah their offense is not the greatest, they do have a very good run game, and well, QB's seem to be ok passing against us, so I do not see that being an issue, the question is, can we score enough to win, because I am not sure we can run that well, and Brady is going to be under constant pressure..I will be surprised if this is a game we win.
Well, if Seattle's offense scores more than 16 points it'll be surprising.

Outside of the Dallas game where Seattle put up 27 points (10 of which came off big ST's play) the Seahawks offense hasn't put up more than 17 points in a game.

The question then becomes ..... can the Pats score more than 17 points? When was the last time the Pats scored less than 17 points in a game?

Well, if Seattle's offense scores more than 16 points it'll be surprising.

Outside of the Dallas game where Seattle put up 27 points (10 of which came off big ST's play) the Seahawks offense hasn't put up more than 17 points in a game.

The question then becomes ..... can the Pats score more than 17 points? When was the last time the Pats scored less than 17 points in a game?

Some of it might have to come from the defense....I am serious Seattle on defense is scary. They held Green Bay to 12 points.

Really? The 85 Bears? Do you have home and away stats to back that up. I don't see it. I think the Pats just need to deal with the noise, which an early lead can take care of. Looking forward to a similar game as last Sunday actually, minus the faux comeback.

Really? The 85 Bears? Do you have home and away stats to back that up. I don't see it. I think the Pats just need to deal with the noise, which an early lead can take care of. Looking forward to a similar game as last Sunday actually, minus the faux comeback.

Well they are number 1 in defense and they play much better at home...not sure what else to say about it. There is no way our offense is going to do to seattle what they did to denver...no way.

I do.

The Seattle Seahawks are not the 85' Bears.

Not even in the same universe.

Yeah I understand that...It was a exaggeration based on how well they play at home compared to the road.

Wilson will have to win this game for them. The pats front seven this year is sick against the run. Spikes is hands down are best running stuffing LB. he is just punishing RBs with his hits.

I do.

The Seattle Seahawks are not the 85' Bears.

Not even in the same universe.

Not even close. There's really only one thing that concerns me now. Poodle Petey loves to send the house, pretty much all the time. With Brady turtling to phantom pressure in the last game like he did...well, it's a concern. :coffee:

Not even close. There's really only one thing that concerns me now. Poodle Petey loves to send the house, pretty much all the time. With Brady turtling to phantom pressure in the last game like he did...well, it's a concern. :coffee:

What I find amazing is that brady never has pressure, no team can get pressure, its amazing. By the way....against the blitz this year, Brady has the highest Qb rating in the league....well there goes that theory. In fact, one of the reasons the run game is working so well, is because teams are staying in nickle the entire time because they are scared they are going to get beat in the passing game....go figure.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/10/09/key-matchup-patriots-wide-receivers-vs-seahawks-co
Key matchup: Patriots wide receivers vs. Seahawks cornerbacks

icon_info.png
About the Author

Dan Arkush

darkush@pfwmedia.com
Executive editor

icon_news.png

Posted Oct. 09, 2012 @ 5:18 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush
In today’s “Key Matchup,” PFW’s Dan Arkush focuses on the Patriots' wide receivers vs. the Seahawks' cornerbacks in the New England-Seattle Week Six battle at CenturyLink Field Sunday.
Patriots wide receivers vs. Seahawks cornerbacks
In an intriguing game pitting New England’s top-ranked offense against Seattle’s top-ranked defense, this strength-against-strength matchup just might end up being the featured attraction this Sunday.
Tom Brady has the Patriots’ increasingly balanced offense operating on all cylinders, and in the 31-21 victory over the Broncos last Sunday, scrappy WR Wes Welker was back to being Brady's reliable workhorse, attacking Broncos slot CB Chris Harris early and often on the way to a huge 13-104-1 outing (15 targets).
Seattle’s defense, meanwhile, has not allowed a TD in the past two games. With head coach Pete Carroll making better defense on third down a top priority for the Carolina game last Sunday, the "D" responded by limiting the Panthers to 2-of-11 third-down conversions.
Starting second-year CBs Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman were major forces, each coming up with key second-half forced fumbles. Browner was particularly effective, registering a team-leading six tackles while making a key recovery of his forced fumble on a brilliant effort to set up the Seahawks’ only TD of the game. Sherman had five tackles and a pass breakup to go with his forced fumble and clearly frustrated Panthers No. 1 WR Steve Smith the entire afternoon, limiting him to just four catches for 40 yards on 13 targets.
Welker leads the AFC and is tied for second in the NFL with 38 catches for 484 yards (12.7 ypc), a long of 59 and one TD. He will work out of the slot running mostly short hitch routes and is generally Brady's first read. A nifty route runner with magnets for hands, Welker is among the best in the league at finding space underneath and then racking up yards after the catch.
Working on the outside, Brandon Lloyd, the Pats’ other starting WR, excels at catching any kind of pass Brady can throw (fades, back-shoulder throws, etc). Eighth in the AFC among receivers (28-321-1), Lloyd is not the fastest receiver in the league by any means, but he has outstanding body control and runs precise routes.
There are two big factors to keep in mind regarding the usage of the Welker-Lloyd duo.
First off, the Patriots have been running the ball with great success lately, and even though they will be facing one of the league’s strongest run defenses, it would not be a shock at all if Bill Belichick decided to concentrate on grinding away on the ground in an effort keep Seattle’s increasingly dangerous pass rushers from pinning their ears back.
Secondly, the touches for Welker and Lloyd could hinge in great part on the extent to which two other Patriots pass catchers who have been injured (TE Aaron Hernandez, ankle; WR Julian Edelman, hand) might get involved in the action (check statuses). If Hernandez is good to go, Brady might opt to throw a great deal more to his potent TE duo of Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski than his receivers.
Ex-Seahawks WR Deion Branch, the Pats’ other outside WR, hasn't done much for New England this season. He won't beat many guys off the line any more, but he has a great rapport with Brady and runs good routes.
Browner and Sherman are big and physical, sometimes to an extreme. They each have unusual combinations of size and strength, which allows them to effectively jam receivers at the line of scrimmage and disrupt the timing of their opponent's passing offense.
Browner, a former CFL product, led the Seahawks with six interceptions last season but also was the NFC’s most penalized cornerback. A key for Browner is to figure out the balance between playing physical and staying in the framework of the rules to avoid costly pass-interference penalties.
Sherman, a fifth-round rookie last season, was a pleasant surprise on the left corner after both Marcus Trufant and Walter Thurmond were hurt. The former wide receiver possesses the press skills Carroll covets and plays with a real swagger. But he can be overly aggressive and vulnerable to double moves.
Seahawks backup CBs Trufant and 2011 sixth-rounder Byron Maxwell could be kept very busy shadowing Welker out of the slot. Formerly a top starting cover corner, Trufant is hanging on these days in a reserve role despite persistent back problems. Maxwell has good speed and great length.

Seattle's defense is probably tougher than Baltimore's. Their secondary is young and very talented. Browner is good, but Richard Sherman (a guy I wanted the Pats to take in the draft) can be a beast and both are very good in run support. Thomas and Chancellor are becoming a very good safety tandem. Their front seven not only gets consistent pressure but also plays the run very well and contributes to pass defense. Their starters are very versatile and can handle a lot of situations and offensive sets.

The key, though, is that they probably won't actually need to do a lot of situational substituting, so the extreme up-tempo no-huddle seems likely not to be nearly as effective as it was against Denver's defense.

For the Pats' defense, obviously, taking away the run is critical, but the Lynch/Washington combo can be as deadly as the Jackson/Spiller combo might have been had they been 100% (both were coning off injuries when the Pats played them). As always, it comes down to how many Pats defenders are required to limit their running effectively? If it takes six or seven guys, that means that Pats' DBs will be biting on play-action and Wilson has enough talent and weapons to get some mileage out of that.

Seattle special teams are also pretty good, and that's been an unusual weak point for the Pats so far this season. The Seattle offense my not be much, but giving them a short field is kinda asking for it. Giving them a TD return might be all they need to keep things scary close.

If the Pats execute on both side of the ball (and ST) for the full sixty minutes, they'll win, but I'm skeptical that it will be anything like a blowout unless the Pats defense can force turnovers in the Seattle end (or score).

Seattle's defense is probably tougher than Baltimore's. Their secondary is young and very talented. Browner is good, but Richard Sherman (a guy I wanted the Pats to take in the draft) can be a beast and both are very good in run support. Thomas and Chancellor are becoming a very good safety tandem. Their front seven not only gets consistent pressure but also plays the run very well and contributes to pass defense. Their starters are very versatile and can handle a lot of situations and offensive sets.

The key, though, is that they probably won't actually need to do a lot of situational substituting, so the extreme up-tempo no-huddle seems likely not to be nearly as effective as it was against Denver's defense.

For the Pats' defense, obviously, taking away the run is critical, but the Lynch/Washington combo can be as deadly as the Jackson/Spiller combo might have been had they been 100% (both were coning off injuries when the Pats played them). As always, it comes down to how many Pats defenders are required to limit their running effectively? If it takes six or seven guys, that means that Pats' DBs will be biting on play-action and Wilson has enough talent and weapons to get some mileage out of that.

Seattle special teams are also pretty good, and that's been an unusual weak point for the Pats so far this season. The Seattle offense my not be much, but giving them a short field is kinda asking for it. Giving them a TD return might be all they need to keep things scary close.

If the Pats execute on both side of the ball (and ST) for the full sixty minutes, they'll win, but I'm skeptical that it will be anything like a blowout unless the Pats defense can force turnovers in the Seattle end (or score).

Blowout? I am not sure anyone would predict that...I am thinking that if we win....big if, it will be like 20-17 and I am giving a lot of credit for us scoring 20. They are much better than the ravens defense.

I'm counting on Seattle's kamikaze defenders to negate much of the gains of its offense. Brady and the NE offense could be the beneficiary of short fields as well, if the Seahawks continue to rack up penalties.

Back