OT: Advice Please!! Hints on keeping a baby calm during a T-storm

I wish I could give some helpful advise but all I know is, I was never afraid of thunderstorms and maybe the children sensed that. I tried to make it a game for them. Maybe your child is sensing your fear? Good luck and keep in mind that EVERYTHING! in life is temporary.

I was never afraid either I LOVE lightning and thunderstorms but some just react to it. Babies are still totally instinctual and the air IS charged during these times so they and animals can react no matter what you do. I had a friend who lived her whole life with the Tucson monsoons but one of her border collies would literally throw itself against the wall and FREAK out every time a storm hit. She eventually found that crating her was the key.

I was never afraid either I LOVE lightning and thunderstorms but some just react to it. Babies are still totally instinctual and the air IS charged during these times so they and animals can react no matter what you do. I had a friend who lived her whole life with the Tucson monsoons but one of her border collies would literally throw itself against the wall and FREAK out every time a storm hit. She eventually found that crating her was the key.

My dog is terrified of T& L storms, she runs under the bed and hides. I heard a lot of dogs do that.

My dog is terrified of T& L storms, she runs under the bed and hides. I heard a lot of dogs do that.

Lady..yep they are totally instinctual and they can smell it. My friend used to have to rush home when the thunderheads would start to build and she started getting sick of it so she tried a few things and crating worked! Maybe get a crate for the dog? I forget where you live and you may not get alot of storms but if it becomes a concern give it a try.:)

I'm no help when it comes to stuff like this. O.Z.O. Jr. was a freak child. Never afraid of anything, slept through the night for about 10+ hours on after 2 weeks, never cryed or howled or acted up in public, always very well behaved.

Probably one of the reasons we never had another one, to scared to chance it again after that.

Lady..yep they are totally instinctual and they can smell it. My friend used to have to rush home when the thunderheads would start to build and she started getting sick of it so she tried a few things and crating worked! Maybe get a crate for the dog? I forget where you live and you may not get alot of storms but if it becomes a concern give it a try.:)
Go earlier in this thread and you'll see. We get T&L storms every afternoon all summer. Never thought of the crate but I saw that above.TY.

Ozo, you're not supposed to drug a baby when its born.

The cat we had when I was a kid would always go and sit in a certain corner of our front porch when a storm was coming...

Yeah, the cats just sit like a lump on a log.

But ya' know what I read about the Indonesian tsunami, all the animals starting running to higher ground before it hit. So there's something to the point of instinct and knowing at another level. They can sense danger. I think we do too. Like when a sky darkens, wind blows a certain way...pressure drops.

But ya' know what I read about the Indonesian tsunami, all the animals starting running to higher ground before it hit. So there's something to the point of instinct and knowing at another level. They can sense danger. I think we do too. Like when a sky darkens, wind blows a certain way...pressure drops.

EXACTLY.:) And that one tribe who had not been "modernized" all ran to safety because they too knew.

I'm no help when it comes to stuff like this. O.Z.O. Jr. was a freak child. Never afraid of anything, slept through the night for about 10+ hours on after 2 weeks, never cryed or howled or acted up in public, always very well behaved.

Probably one of the reasons we never had another one, to scared to chance it again after that.

Smart move.:)

Crates will only work if the dog sees it as his/her shelter rather than the place they get put for punishment.

If you put the dog in there when they've done something wrong, using it during a thunderstorm will only make things worse.

If it is the place they normally sleep or go on their own accord, then that will work.

Crates will only work if the dog sees it as his/her shelter rather than the place they get put for punishment.

If you put the dog in there when they've done something wrong, using it during a thunderstorm will only make things worse.

If it is the place they normally sleep or go on their own accord, then that will work.

Interesting. Yeah, she had never crated her for anything before this so it was a safe haven for her I guess.:)

They simply have a greater sensitivity to sound.

All of the things you mention include a sound wave of some sort. The sound precedes the event.

It may be at a frequency that humans don't really pay attention to (too low or too high), or it may be of an amplitude that humans don't pay attention to.

The animals on the other hand do.

They don't necessarily understand the meaning of those sounds, they simply hear something that isn't normal and do what animals always do under those circumstances, get the heck out of Dodge.

My dog craps herself when it thunders. She's also afraid of fireworks, loud clapping, the snap of a belt......

I live just down the street from Mr and Mrspat4ever and I was actually out walking my 2 dogs when the storm hit. Nowhere for the poor girl to hide and she was shaking uncontrollably the whole way home. Needless to say, 4th of July is not her favorite.

One thing I start doing a day or 2 before July 4th is give her Benadryl. My vet recommended it because my dog is really high strung. She shakes uncontrollably whenever she has to go to the vet or to the groomers in addition to the loud noises. It really seems to help when you know a stressful situation is coming. Of course, an unexpected T-storm is kinda hard to prepare for....but if you know one's coming it could help.

They don't necessarily understand the meaning of those sounds, they simply hear something that isn't normal and do what animals always do under those circumstances, get the heck out of Dodge.

I wasn't implying they knew..."Hey fellow critters, a tsunami is coming let's get the hell outta here." :p Just that they sensed something that they perceived as a threat.

My dog craps herself when it thunders. She's also afraid of fireworks, loud clapping, the snap of a belt......

I live just down the street from Mr and Mrspat4ever and I was actually out walking my 2 dogs when the storm hit. Nowhere for the poor girl to hide and she was shaking uncontrollably the whole way home. Needless to say, 4th of July is not her favorite.

Mine's the same way. Afraid of fireworks too.

Aw... poor baby! So glad my mutt just kind of hides at our feet during the storms.

Mr. and I keep saying the same about our baby. Matthew slept through the night since he was 5 weeks. I think the problem came yesterday because he just started to fall asleep. Poor thing got startled.

Back