OT: Armed Forces Day

spiderman

Reaction score
As with Bideau's Memorial Day post, I'm not trying to be political with this. It's just something I wanted to share.

Last Saturday the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit was welcomed back in South Boston. They had a parade and a ceremony at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I have to say, not politically speaking, that I was upset with the turnout. We can get a million people to show up to celebrate a bunch of football players for winning at a kids game, but hardly anyone outside of the neighborhood showed up to pay respects to the people putting there lives on the line day in and day out, on Armed Forces Day.

Like, I said this isn't meant to be political at all, fee free to move this post if it is taken the wrong way.

Something that I pondered today during my daily exercise walk - I think it would be interesting to correlate the incidence of "support our troops" magnets with different brands of vehicles (cars and trucks).

I was trying to guess by looking at the front of a car whether there would be a magnet on the back.

I haven't yet gathered any data on this.

spiderman said:
I have to say, not politically speaking, that I was upset with the turnout.

Spidey, I hear ya, it's lousy. My 84 yrs young father is one of 7 brothers who served overseas in WWII. Six are still alive. My Dad was a front line paratrooper who was one of the first to liberate Nazi concentration camps. When they came home there was much celebrating and they were honored as heroes... None wanted their sons in Vietnam and now none want their grandchildren even in the NG or Reserves.

Nowadays parents don't want their kids anywhere near where there might be a recruiter. It is sad, but true. Ask the Tillmans.

Re: Re: OT: Armed Forces Day

joephoto said:
Spidey, I hear ya, it's lousy. My 84 yrs young father is one of 7 brothers who served overseas in WWII. Six are still alive. My Dad was a front line paratrooper who was one of the first to liberate Nazi concentration camps. When they came home there was much celebrating and they were honored as heroes... None wanted their sons in Vietnam and now none want their grandchildren even in the NG or Reserves.

Nowadays parents don't want their kids anywhere near where there might be a recruiter. It is sad, but true. Ask the Tillmans.

I disagree, I don't think parents wanted their kids in WWII either. And I dont think that the problem so much is apathy as it is awareness. The problem stems from the fact that nobody was talking about it in the media. The evening news spent about 3 days talking about the Patriots parade, the Mayor was on TV, city officials, etc. etc. If given any attention at all, I'm sure more people would've come out.

I'm not sure where you're from, but there are still plenty of families and individuals out there who believe in this country and honor our armed forces regularly, but when you don't know something is happening, how can you participate?

We as a society need to do a better job of knowing where our priorities should be. Regardless on how you feel about the "War on Terror", it is downright embarrassing that people place a higher emphasis on sports in this country, then they do on matters of life and death.

I'm doing my best to keep this from becoming a political argument, but my problem isn't with the American Citizen, I see a very different America then you do apparently. The point I was trying to make was that I was disgusted with the media for their lack of coverage and attention to this event.

Re: Re: Re: OT: Armed Forces Day

I'm surprised there's no emoticon (smilie) for barfing.

:barf:

:puke:

who creates these things anyway?

you know, something like this:

:banghead:

but a little smiley puking would come in handy some times.

Re: Re: Re: Re: OT: Armed Forces Day

thomas144 said:

Like this? :Eason:

thomas144 said:

It's there. You just need to click on "Get More" where the smilies are. It's the one named after Tony Eason.
________
Mazda 121 history

thomas144 said:

Tommy,

Let me know what kind of car you drive and I'll guess whether or not you have a yellow ribbon on it?

Actually, on second thought...I don't need to know what kind of car you drive.

Well, I have a yellow ribbon on one door and a camoflouge on the other, they both say support our troops.. On my trunk I have an small POW one.. That's above my trunck handle.. I drive a bug and on each side of that really small magnet are my patriot magnet and red sox magnet :D LOL

I want one of the yellow ribbons that say keep my brother safe, though, I just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet...

thomas144 said:
:Eason:

I thought Tony Eason was a smiley with a "deer in the headlights" look.

That was originally used to represent Drew Bledsoe, although it's not called :Bledsoe:

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :p

...glad everyone is having so much fun talking about smilie's...

:thumb:

Back