Pack Postgame Notes

The Hoodie

Let's make it 5!
Reaction score
That was an extremely thrilling win which came down to the wire. We saw a lot from this game but we all definitely did make some incorrect predictions/assumptions about the game (for the most part). Some of us went into this game thinking we'd blow them out just because Aarod was out, but others remained true to GB's talent. Maybe I was wrong for thinking we'd have a comfortable lead against this team.

Anyway, here are some notes from me personally that I saw, and I'm sure all of you did too:

1) Tackling: Tackling was absoutely horrific. John Kuhn especially looked tremendous because guys didn't tackle him throughout the entire game. GB tackling wasn't too good either. This wasn't a good game for tackling at all.

2) The defense is remincient of the defense of earlier on in the season: yes, true, this was against the great offense of the the Packers, but there's no reason why we need to have safties bumping into CBs to cause a TD. McCourty got beat on that play, but the ball was juggled and if he made a hit the ball would have come out. Meriweather messed this play up pretty badly and probably was ripped a new one. The late game INT was good redemtpion, but TBC negated this penalty by ripping his hands into the OL's facemask. The defense were giving up big plays in very goofy manners. The pressure was good early on but waned down, but they showed up at the end, giving them credit. It's just these bonehead plays we get that we need to rid ourselves of. It is a young defense, but there's not reason why, this late in the season, we give up plays on silly mistakes. A side note, it was great to see McCourty and Gerrard Warren out there.

3) Offense couldn't do much: also goes without saying here. We definitely did put points on the board, but the offense were getting 3 and outs in moments of the game where the defense was already gassed. The Packers defense defintely deserves much credit as well. We need a better performance by the offense, which I think we will.

4) Penalties: those penalties were absoutely draining. The penalty on the INT, that would have won the game earlier, was off a silly play to TBC. Some penatlties were ridiclous but some were justified. The team overll just needs to clean up their play.

5) Better awareness is needed: I'm sure the Patriots, along with most of us, thought it was unusual that GB was deferring and putting the D against TB and the boys. This alone should have people have the thought in the back of their minds that an onside kick was coming. I'm not about to blame this team for not knowing it was coming, but it's something that should always be on the mind.

6) The last drive: was all inexperience kicking in. It was a thrilling finish and the defense did a great job at disrupting them when it really mattered. The sack by Dane Fletcher helped us a lot and the pressure at the end was also great. It was a good showing by a defense that was depleted by the play of Matt Flynn and the RBs of the Packers.

7) Dan Connolly. That's all I need to say. The greatest thing was that he had better ball security than anyone who played on the Jaguars today.

In conclusion, I think this was honestly one of their more mediocre efforts throughout, but they came when they needed to. As one poster said in the game thread, the game went perfectly for a team who had played like crap for the duration of the game. It was kind of like we half-assed this entire game and still won--something we failed to do against Cleveland. This win is good, but will be humbling, I hope. Belichick won't forget this game as he prepares for Buffalo next week, who nearly beat us when they had us around before.

Lets soak the glories of defeat, but there's not too much to be proud of. I'm not proud of much, but I am proud of the W. GB is a talented team, but we're capable of playing much better than this. That was a good game to watch in the end and that ending was as thrilling as that fiasco in the Meadowlands earlier on. Lets take the win and move on and prepare against Buffalo. We'll get that #1 seed with a win next week. Lets show the league why we're the #1 team in the NFL, even though we didn't play like it this week.

Thanks for reading.

3) Offense couldn't do much: also goes without saying here. We definitely did put points on the board, but the offense were getting 3 and outs in moments of the game where the defense was already gassed. The Packers defense defintely deserves much credit as well. We need a better performance by the offense, which I think we will.

The 3 and out at the end was brutal. Run, incomplete, incomplete. Didn't we see this against Indy? FFS run some time off the clock.

The 3 and out at the end was brutal. Run, incomplete, incomplete. Didn't we see this against Indy? FFS run some time off the clock.

Agreed, that was horrific. That call to run on 1st down wasn't too smart because clearly GB saw it coming, and then the offense had pressure on them when they couldn't complete the pass on 2nd down. Too many 3 and outs from this team tonight.

That was an extremely thrilling win which came down to the wire. We saw a lot from this game but we all definitely did make some incorrect predictions/assumptions about the game (for the most part). Some of us went into this game thinking we'd blow them out just because Aarod was out, but others remained true to GB's talent. Maybe I was wrong for thinking we'd have a comfortable lead against this team.

Anyway, here are some notes from me personally that I saw, and I'm sure all of you did too:

1) Tackling: Tackling was absoutely horrific. John Kuhn especially looked tremendous because guys didn't tackle him throughout the entire game. GB tackling wasn't too good either. This wasn't a good game for tackling at all.

2) The defense is remincient of the defense of earlier on in the season: yes, true, this was against the great offense of the the Packers, but there's no reason why we need to have safties bumping into CBs to cause a TD. McCourty got beat on that play, but the ball was juggled and if he made a hit the ball would have come out. Meriweather messed this play up pretty badly and probably was ripped a new one. The late game INT was good redemtpion, but TBC negated this penalty by ripping his hands into the OL's facemask. The defense were giving up big plays in very goofy manners. The pressure was good early on but waned down, but they showed up at the end, giving them credit. It's just these bonehead plays we get that we need to rid ourselves of. It is a young defense, but there's not reason why, this late in the season, we give up plays on silly mistakes. A side note, it was great to see McCourty and Gerrard Warren out there.

4) Penalties: those penalties were absoutely draining. The penalty on the INT, that would have won the game earlier, was off a silly play to TBC. Some penatlties were ridiclous but some were justified. The team overll just needs to clean up their play.

5) Better awareness is needed: I'm sure the Patriots, along with most of us, thought it was unusual that GB was deferring and putting the D against TB and the boys. This alone should have people have the thought in the back of their minds that an onside kick was coming. I'm not about to blame this team for not knowing it was coming, but it's something that should always be on the mind.

6) The last drive: was all inexperience kicking in. It was a thrilling finish and the defense did a great job at disrupting them when it really mattered. The sack by Dane Fletcher helped us a lot and the pressure at the end was also great. It was a good showing by a defense that was depleted by the play of Matt Flynn and the RBs of the Packers.

7) Dan Connolly. That's all I need to say. The greatest thing was that he had better ball security than anyone who played on the Jaguars today.

In conclusion, I think this was honestly one of their more mediocre efforts throughout, but they came when they needed to. As one poster said in the game thread, the game went perfectly for a team who had played like crap for the duration of the game. It was kind of like we half-assed this entire game and still won--something we failed to do against Cleveland. This win is good, but will be humbling, I hope. Belichick won't forget this game as he prepares for Buffalo next week, who nearly beat us when they had us around before.

Lets soak the glories of defeat, but there's not too much to be proud of. I'm not proud of much, but I am proud of the W. GB is a talented team, but we're capable of playing much better than this. That was a good game to watch in the end and that ending was as thrilling as that fiasco in the Meadowlands earlier on. Lets take the win and move on and prepare against Buffalo. We'll get that #1 seed with a win next week. Lets show the league why we're the #1 team in the NFL, even though we didn't play like it this week.

Thanks for reading.

Good observations. I only saw flashes of the game as I'm working tonight, so that is very helpful. Not encouraging, but helpful.

Good observations. I only saw flashes of the game as I'm working tonight, so that is very helpful. Not encouraging, but helpful.

Thanks Mayo, if you ever do watch the game in it's entirety you'll be highly frustrated at different points of the game.

Here's the reaction from Reiss:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Rapid reaction from the Patriots’ 31-27 win over the Packers at Gillette Stadium:

What it means. Entertaining game. It came down to the last play, with Tully Banta-Cain sacking quarterback Matt Flynn, who struggled to get the final play off on fourth-and-1. It looked like a case of poor clock management and an inexperienced quarterback watching valuable seconds tick off the clock, unsure of what he wanted to do. The Patriots improve to 12-2 as this was a game in which they survived.

They’ll be talking about Connolly’s kickoff return. When was the last time you saw an offensive lineman return a kickoff 71 yards? Never, of course, because it happened for the first time when Patriots right guard Dan Connolly rumbled 71 yards to set up a 2-yard Tom Brady-to-Aaron Hernandez touchdown connection. Since the statistic was first recorded in 1994, it marked the longest kickoff return by an offensive lineman. Connolly, a five-year veteran who filled in admirably for left guard Logan Mankins for the season’s first seven games and now is starting at right guard in place of injured Stephen Neal, played the ensuing offensive series before leaving the game with a concussion.

Up-and-down night for Patriots defense.Through three quarters, it didn’t look pretty for the Patriots' defense. The Packers held a time-of-possession edge of 31:26-13:34 at that point, and the defense looked tired, unable to come up with the critical stop on third down. The Packers were 9-of-13 on third down through three quarters. The tired defense came up with the big stops in the fourth quarter, just when it appeared it was on its last legs.

Penalties hurt the Patriots. New England entered the game ranked fourth in the NFL for fewest accepted penalties in the NFL. The Patriots had a tough night in that area with Ed Hochuli’s crew. A potential game-ending interception was nullified by an illegal hands to the face penalty on Tully Banta-Cain, which reflected the Patriots’ struggles in this area.

Should Packers have gone for it on fourth-and-1? Early in the fourth quarter, the Packers led 24-21 and had the ball on the Patriots’ 1-yard line. This came after the Packers couldn’t punch it in on first-and-goal from the 2. Coach Mike McCarthy elected to kick the field goal on fourth down, a decision that will probably be second-guessed in Green Bay.

Packers brought their best effort. One week after a disappointing loss to the Lions in which they lost starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a concussion, the Packers rebounded in a big way. They played an inspired game, opening with a successful onside kick. Third-year quarterback Matt Flynn, who made his first career start, showed poise up until the final play, especially after throwing a third-quarter interception that was returned 36 yards for a touchdown by cornerback Kyle Arrington.

What’s next. The Patriots visit the Bills next Sunday (1 p.m.). With the Jets winning a big road game against the Steelers on Sunday, the team’s lead in the AFC East remains two games.

My prediction: Meriweather and TBC will be on Reiss' "down" list.
Mc Courty will be on the up list. He's a stone cold stud. The whole pregame as the announcers babbled on on the field I was watching behind them to see if McC was in uni. Never spotted him but so happy when the lined up on D and there he was.

Thanks Mayo, if you ever do watch the game in it's entirety you'll be highly frustrated at different points of the game.

I'm not sure I want to watch this one. I'm just glad we got out with a win and didn't have any other major injuries (I'm assuming Connolly's head injury is not serious). A crappy W is a very good thing right now, and should provide some extra motivation heading into the stretch run and the playoffs.

I'm not sure I want to watch this one. I'm just glad we got out with a win and didn't have any other major injuries (I'm assuming Connolly's head injury is not serious). A crappy W is a very good thing right now, and should provide some extra motivation heading into the stretch run and the playoffs.

Ugly, ugly game. I hope I never have to watch it ever again. If you can avoid watching it, do so.

:coffee:

My prediction: Meriweather and TBC will be on Reiss' "down" list.
Mc Courty will be on the up list. He's a stone cold stud. The whole pregame as the announcers babbled on on the field I was watching behind them to see if McC was in uni. Never spotted him but so happy when the lined up on D and there he was.

No doubt. The presence of McCourty was felt--I'll have to re-watch the game to see for sure, but I believe only 1 or maybe 2 of Matt Flynn's passes to his direction were completed--the 1 being the touchdown off the bonehead play for Meriweather, and if there is another I simply cannot recall. He made great plays all game, broke up passes and even sacked the QB. Great game for someone with a rib injury.

Those two have to be on "down" end on 3 up, 3 down. Meriweather just played horribly for most of the game, except for the INT that was called back anyway. TBC wasn't too good either as he looked to be missing tackles and getting destroyed by OL'men. That late game penalty didn't help at all either.

Ugly, ugly game. I hope I never have to watch it ever again. If you can avoid watching it, do so.

:coffee:

I'll probably watch portions to make some additional notes on it but the whole thing isn't worth watching. A painful game to watch.

I'm keeping somewhat of an open-mind that they were trying to prepare for the unknown in Matt Flynn.

One of my biggest gripes was how they approached GB's running game - as it should have been a virtual non-factor but instead, they had quite a bit of success. I think it opened up a lot of opportunities for Flynn and helped to create many short 3rd down conversions.

Hoodie-Yeah and that TBC nullified int was a gift anyway.
Also, maybe I am nuts but Vince has been especially beastly this year. I don't think I have seen too many other 2 gap NTs (who play DT and DE too) who flat out make plays like he has this year. I can't even tell you how many times I watched him be engaged and somehow get his arm out enough to trip up or tackle the ballcarrier this year. I do think it was teh lollers watching him in coverage though. 1 pass towards him, 1 pass defensed. :D

I'll probably watch portions to make some additional notes on it but the whole thing isn't worth watching. A painful game to watch.

Penalties - most of them deserved, some "iffy", a defense that couldn't get off the damned field, an offense that couldn't stay on the field - not a whole lot of good to go on.

Good thing too, because we still get the "W", and BB gets to tear into some people during the upcoming week.

That said, the only GOOD thing I took out of this is that we went against the #1 defense in the league, and won.

When did the Browns trade Hillis to GB? I wasn't aware of that trade until tonight.

Hoodie-Yeah and that TBC nullified int was a gift anyway.
Also, maybe I am nuts but Vince has been especially beastly this year. I don't think I have seen too many other 2 gap NTs (who play DT and DE too) who flat out make plays like he has this year. I can't even tell you how many times I watched him be engaged and somehow get his arm out enough to trip up or tackle the ballcarrier this year. I do think it was teh lollers watching him in coverage though. 1 pass towards him, 1 pass defensed. :D

VY has been having a great year this year, but even his tackling in the 1st half wasn't stellar either. He struggled a bit but wasn't too bad. That pass deflection he had in coverage was great.

As for Kuhn, I always draft him in my fantasy roster in Madden--I never would have thought he'd be this good...against us.

Penalties - most of them deserved, some "iffy", a defense that couldn't get off the damned field, an offense that couldn't stay on the field - not a whole lot of good to go on.

Good thing too, because we still get the "W", and BB gets to tear into some people during the upcoming week.

That said, the only GOOD thing I took out of this is that we went against the #1 defense in the league, and won.

Fuggin penalty on TBC. I love how they saw that, missed the OL having his hand on TBC's facemask and missed the hold on Wilfork. Officiating was ass tonight.

<3 Chung's open field tackle on 3rd down. It caused the offense and coaching staff to have a massive brainfart. Thanks for not planning for a 4th down play! :thumb:

Yeah, I was interested in how they used Chung as the slot CB. He did well in coverage and seemed to be one of the better tacklers of the night. The safeties saw a lot of action tonight in multiple roles.

Sometimes you have weird games, tonight was a weird game. But, I have not heard it said, but we do not win that game last year and maybe not early in the season. The offense was not on the field a lot, but did have two good drives at the end to get 10 points and in the end be the difference in the game with 4 points. I mean you dont win all games 45-3, so when you have a game where everyone is a b it banged up and you are not playing your best, if you can get a win anyway, then its all the better. By the way the refs were not on out side tonight, wow.

Back