Patriots Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the rest of the o line for the game?

On first watch, the Pats are showing the potential to be dominant. They are moving people backwards perhaps as much as anybody in the league and we're starting to see better
co-ordination and fewer mental mistakes. It's a newish system and we have had some significant churn, 4 of 5 spots, to try and iron out.

I didn't notice any mental mistakes by Cole Strange today and he's showing that quickness through the hole that is his best trait. Andrews is Andrews -- the scrappy constant. Brown and Onwenu are creating a lot of room and the backs are hitting the holes with decisiveness and timing. There is good synch there, I think. We're close, but no ceegar yet.

I'm not planning on piling on, but even though Wynn executes a lot of nice run blocks, he is breaking down too often. Way too often. That penalty for lining up wrong last week led to him getting
beat on the play where Hoyer got steamrolled. He knows he can't get to the edge and was trying to get an extra step, but, unfortunately for him, that's against the rules. Cannon isn't a great
option because he, like a lot of RTs, isn't great at cutting off the edge benders. The bulk of the snaps for Cannon (possibly all) came with him guarding Wynn's right shoulder. We shouldn't
need to sacrifice a playmaker to aid Wynn, since we've already turned Hunter Henry into a defacto blocking TE. That's a mystery I haven't heard much about.

We need 3 things to achieve the serious potential this Offense has been flashing. Get Mac back healthy and convince him to quit forcing the ball, hope like hell Wynn can
figure it out and get Tyquan back to freak somebody out. The OL will be the engine that can get us more points, but we don't have a huge margin for error.

This just now from noted Pats hater Ben Trollin' Volin: "The Patriots' offensive line was downright dominant. They ran for 167 yards on 5.1 yards per carry, numbers even more impressive when considering the Patriots were playing with a third string quarterback. They used Marcus Cannon as a sixth offensive lineman and they man-handled the Packers' defensive front." "What a banner day for the Patriots' rookie class. Cole Strange played every snap and helped open up big holes in the run game."

Stop fucking things up by providing a rational, balanced analysis. The dope I directed my question to is too fucking cowardly to answer honestly. And, incapable of any type of real assessment. Weasel.

Look, I thought we would get clobbered today and there are things that you can take away from the loss that make me feel like we could end up looking like a much better team
than people think. The OL is one of those things. We're catching better, tackling better and don't have a lot of Defensive breakdowns. We're getting smarter, but we aren't quite there.

We're doing a lot of shit right. Sometimes I get confused about what I'm supposed to be doing around here, so......uhhhh.......sorry. I'll try to get involved in more circular arguments
moving forward.

That has always worked well for me in the past

:rolleyes:

Look, I thought we would get clobbered today and there are things that you can take away from the loss that make me feel like we could end up looking like a much better team
than people think. The OL is one of those things. We're catching better, tackling better and don't have a lot of Defensive breakdowns. We're getting smarter, but we aren't quite there.

We're doing a lot of shit right. Sometimes I get confused about what I'm supposed to be doing around here, so......uhhhh.......sorry. I'll try to get involved in more circular arguments
moving forward.

I'm not criticizing you, for crissakes. I don't always agree with your takes, but a lot of times I do. But, I feel your opinions are candid and reflect your honest observations, right or wrong. My quarrel is with those who intentionally paint a picture of the team's performance which is bullshit. Anyone, and I don't give a flying fuck who it is, who says the o line sucked today is full of shit. And that's the truth.

I'm not criticizing you, for crissakes. I don't always agree with your takes, but a lot of times I do. But, I feel your opinions are candid and reflect your honest observations, right or wrong. My quarrel is with those who intentionally paint a picture of the team's performance which is bullshit. Anyone, and I don't give a flying fuck who it is, who says the o line sucked today is full of shit. And that's the truth.

I know. I got your sarcasm and I hoped you'd get mine. I'm trying my best to not get into arguments with some of our, uhhh, more colorful characters so I just tune a lot of shit out and
try to move on to greener grass. I'm not saying anything towards you.

I know. I got your sarcasm and I hoped you'd get mine. I'm trying my best to not get into arguments with some of our, uhhh, more colorful characters so I just tune a lot of shit out and
try to move on to greener grass. I'm not saying anything towards you.
I understand. My college baseball coach told me decades ago regarding my inclination to "burn hot" that if I didn't learn to cool it down, I d regret it. Fortunately, I got good enough at cooling it down to survive. Unfortunately, I'm still not perfect at it.

Pats are 1-3 behind the Jets in the division for the first time in a decade, 2 QBs knocked out within the span of 3 offensive drives, and here comes this clown poster again.

Wynn was total garbage, 6 penalties in 3 games, got Hoyer knocked out, and also whiffed causing the Zappe fumble. An A+ in your blind homer book, zero surprise

Thank you. I will add this post above to the collection in the other post.

And don't sell yourself short. We could do this very same type of "collection" on many other topics that you repeat yourself on almost endlessly.

In a way, your inability to bring anything new hear can be viewed as narrow, but you take narrow across such a wide range of topics.

Shall we do a post on Belichick screwing over the QB? Belichick giving #1 CB's and now he can't win without one? The TE's?

You are a broken record for sure, but amazingly you don't skip on one tiny area. You skip back and forth and repeat yourself across the entire record. You should be proud.

Oh! And calling people names. How many of us are clowns?

At any rate, this one goes to the "Wynn was total garbage, 6 penalties in 3 games, got Hoyer knocked out, and also whiffed causing the Zappe fumble." Post.

moving forward.

This is how I'm feeling about it. I've been critical of many of Bill's moves this off-season but this team is getting better. Maybe that will change but this isn't a bad team. Not sure what happens from here, but it's going to be interesting .

Last edited:
This is how I'm feeling about it. I've been critical of many of Bill's moves this off-season but this team is getting better. Maybe that will change but this isn't a bad team. Not sure what happens from here, but it's going to be interesting .

I would have been doing first pumps if they had someone won the Packers game.
It was right there. Lost it due to the OT drive, bad run up the gut twice and then Zappe fails on 3rd down, that's the whole ballgame.

I acknowledge the OLine RUN game has been good, it's been the strength of the entire offense. It only took losing both starting QBs in order to run it 35 times a game. Stop getting fancy with the crappy chuck it deep offense. Our personnel is not set up for this, this is a road grader physical run the ball offense.

But Play action is completely missing. TE screens are completely missing. And Wynn has been a terrible player, 6 penalties in the last 3 games, got Hoyer knocked out, whiffed causing the Zappe fumble. Team is not 1-3 and behind the Jets but blind homers want to stick their head in the ground.

Last edited:
On first watch, the Pats are showing the potential to be dominant. They are moving people backwards perhaps as much as anybody in the league and we're starting to see better
co-ordination and fewer mental mistakes. It's a newish system and we have had some significant churn, 4 of 5 spots, to try and iron out.

I didn't notice any mental mistakes by Cole Strange today and he's showing that quickness through the hole that is his best trait. Andrews is Andrews -- the scrappy constant. Brown and Onwenu are creating a lot of room and the backs are hitting the holes with decisiveness and timing. There is good synch there, I think. We're close, but no ceegar yet.

I'm not planning on piling on, but even though Wynn executes a lot of nice run blocks, he is breaking down too often. Way too often. That penalty for lining up wrong last week led to him getting
beat on the play where Hoyer got steamrolled. He knows he can't get to the edge and was trying to get an extra step, but, unfortunately for him, that's against the rules. Cannon isn't a great
option because he, like a lot of RTs, isn't great at cutting off the edge benders. The bulk of the snaps for Cannon (possibly all) came with him guarding Wynn's right shoulder. We shouldn't
need to sacrifice a playmaker to aid Wynn, since we've already turned Hunter Henry into a defacto blocking TE. That's a mystery I haven't heard much about.

We need 3 things to achieve the serious potential this Offense has been flashing. Get Mac back healthy and convince him to quit forcing the ball, hope like hell Wynn can
figure it out and get Tyquan back to freak somebody out. The OL will be the engine that can get us more points, but we don't have a huge margin for error.

Well said

Patriots Bench Isaiah Wynn After Disastrous Half Against Packers​

The 2018 first-round pick had a disastrous first half against the Packers, allowing one quarterback hit, surrendering two sacks and committing two penalties, one of which was declined. The first sack resulted in backup quarterback Brian Hoyer leaving the game with a head injury, with the second leading to a Bailey Zappe strip-fumble.

When the Patriots came out for the second half, Marcus Cannon replaced Wynn at right tackle.

Patriots Bench Isaiah Wynn After Disastrous Half Against Packers​

The 2018 first-round pick had a disastrous first half against the Packers, allowing one quarterback hit, surrendering two sacks and committing two penalties, one of which was declined. The first sack resulted in backup quarterback Brian Hoyer leaving the game with a head injury, with the second leading to a Bailey Zappe strip-fumble.

When the Patriots came out for the second half, Marcus Cannon replaced Wynn at right tackle.

At the risk of spoiling your 2 day (so far) retroactive celebration of Wynn's shitty performance, I will tell you that I noted this DURING the game. Please repeat yourself a dozen more times.

Have a cigar.

I’ve also been wondering about the lack of play action this year. You’d think defenses would bite on the run every time.

It was right there. Lost it due to the OT drive, bad run up the gut twice and then Zappe fails on 3rd down, that's the whole ballgame.

I acknowledge the OLine RUN game has been good, it's been the strength of the entire offense. It only took losing both starting QBs in order to run it 35 times a game. Stop getting fancy with the crappy chuck it deep offense. Our personnel is not set up for this, this is a road grader physical run the ball offense.

But Play action is completely missing. TE screens are completely missing. And Wynn has been a terrible player, 6 penalties in the last 3 games, got Hoyer knocked out, whiffed causing the Zappe fumble. Team is not 1-3 and behind the Jets but blind homers want to stick their head in the ground.
Your (oops, almost, but not this time) fist pumping, and your impartial analysis, warms the cockles...

Just said it on the Packers thread, Strange put in a fantastic block on the bog NT Kenny Clark which allwed Harris to cut back and score. He shoved that big 314 pounder back and the NT had no chance. Strange is a beast.
Dugger and now Strange. Pundits are gonna pundit...

I don't think anyone would acuse me of being a blind homer. I'm also not big on moral victories, yet I believe this team is about to go on run. I have no proof, just a feeling, this team is getting better, finding out what they do well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just get the sense that if we can be around 500 when Mac returns, it could get very interesting.

I don't think anyone would acuse me of being a blind homer. I'm also not big on moral victories, yet I believe this team is about to go on run. I have no proof, just a feeling, this team is getting better, finding out what they do well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just get the sense that if we can be around 500 when Mac returns, it could get very interesting.

next 8 games are all winnable.
i didn’t mean you. there are a couple clear blind homer trolls who barely even post any football opinion at this point, just berate others here in a toxic manner

Wynn is tied for #1 among offensive linemen for most penalties received in the league, 7th in QB pressures given up, and the 6th most expensive RT contract in the league. Cannon cant get up to speed fast enough. That 2019 draft was an epic disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back