Patriots' Pass Game

AWTE, could you do a "Patriots pass defense" or "Patriots run defense" series this season?

Thanks for all you have done so far!

AWTE, could you do a "Patriots pass defense" or "Patriots run defense" series this season?

Thanks for all you have done so far!

Thank you. I haven't managed to even finish this thread yet! I don't have access to new game film film right now but if I get into the games this fall I'll throw some observations up I'm sure.

Here we see the middle route dig up under the Cov 4 Dual Safety look. Brady has his choice of the outside throw to the Dig or the RB in the Flat. In this case he didn’t like what he saw downfield so he checked down for a short gain.
how you doin'?

Curl/Smash Read

At first glance this play is going to look somewhat indecipherable as there is a lot going on but it will come together. It’s a pretty complex play the Pats build using the Curl/Flat concept combined with the outside Hi-Lo concept, specifically the “Smash” in this instance. The Smash version of the Hi-Lo is a Corner route over a Flat Route where the QB reads the CB and throws opposite his reaction.

What they have basically done is create a situation where two receivers outside the hashes on either side of the formation will read the defense and adjust their routes accordingly. If they read a single high MOF Safety coverage they will execute a modified Curl/Flat concept. If they read a Dual MOFO Safety coverage, they will execute a modified Smash Hi-Lo concept. To really make this tough, the #1 receivers who read Dual and execute Corner routes will have the added responsibility of reading the Corner Route Void and re-converting this route to a Curl if the CB threatens the void.

The Pats are creating this mirrored stretch on the defense because they want to throw the ball to a spot down the middle of the field where the fifth receiver will sit down over the ball and attempt to get open. The QB’s first read is the middle Sit route then he moves onto to one of the Curl/Smash reads. The idea is to force the coverage to cover the Pats’ four outside receivers with three defenders each leaving one defender left to cover the middle Sit route. If that defender is the MOF Safety dropping to the deep 1/3 then the Sit route is wide open. If that defender is the Middle backer the Sit has a chance to beat him via body position or route adjustment. If the Sit’s not open the QB will go to his best edge concept.

The first pic shows this whole nightmare broken down. We’ll look at it the way the Pats teach it. Whole Part Whole. Looking at it in its entirety we see #1 to both sides running a Read route. They will read the Safeties first. One Safety means he will run the Curl, two means he will run the Corner Route. The Two backs here will run complementary Flat routes to create either the Smash stretch or the Curl Stretch. There are three deep voids, two intermediate voids and four voids down low the QB can work. His first read is the deep middle Sit void.

The second pic shows the Curl/Flat version of the play. Brady reads the MOF to the CBs and sees a three high look and knows Curl/Flat is in play. He reads from the MOF to the Curl to the Flat. The second pic shows the stretch the Curl/Flat is crating just like we saw earlier.

A zone defense needs three defenders to effectively defend the Curl/Flat stretch. Between the Sit route and the two Curl/Flat concepts the Patriots have created a two triangle stretch on the defense which is very difficult to defend. As you can see in pic three the Raiders have three defenders assigned to each Curl/Flat leaving Gronk on his own. The real stretch is put on the OLBs who can’t take away both the Curl and the Flat as we have seen without help from a third defender. This is an ingenious concept.

This concept is very similar to Steve Spurrier's Ralph/Lonnie concept. In Spurrier's version, the curl actually happens primarily as an early read, before they begin the inside release steam...However, they do have the freedom to adjust to a curl once they start the inside release stem.

Also, the curl happens at 15 yards rather than 10. Much trickier IMHO, but it was pretty much his base play.

A small detail about the Patriots' Shallow Cross concept:

Apparently, the player running the dig route has the freedom to convert their route to an out route if they are getting walled and won't be able to carry out their dig route cleanly.

Image credit: Chris Brown of Smart Football

Hello Patriot Nation,
First time user, and maybe last. However, I’m reaching out due to I will be attending the Cowboys v. Patriots game. I haven’t been to fox since I last played for the pats in 2014. I was just hoping someone could point me to a good tailgating experience at Fox?

I am a born cowboys fan, but since playing for the pats they’re my team as well.
Thanks
Taylor McCuller

welcome! At our most reliable case study solution for our respectable candidates

if you are seeking the most reliable case study writing service then your search is over. Case study solution provides you the best case study writing services. We have a team of seasoned and professional case study writers who are experienced in providing case study writing services. Our writers have vast knowledge in the field of case study service, and with the help of this knowledge they assist you in your case study assignments regardless the topic and tight deadline. Our case study writers first develop explicit understanding of topic, do their extensive research and then finally jot down on paper. The case study help provided by us is always structured, definite and well researched.

Our spam link case study reviews comes with other benefits too. It is always available to you at very low premium, moreover we offer many discount facilities too. To take our harvard case study solution, you dont need to go in complex process. Just follow a simple procedure and your solution will be delivered to you.

View attachment 103649

The Pats need an all world TE...Watson will have to work as the bridge though.

We Pats fans have definitely been spoiled. We're all looking for the next Gronk, those are some massive shoes to fill. At this point, I would settle for a productive TE.lol Gronk has raised the bar, I think we need to lower it a bit.

I was always a fan of Dan Graham. He was a beast of a blocker, not the best hands but his blocking was second to none. I wouldn't mind finding someone like that, perhaps with slightly more reliable hands.

Back