Pats Defense...2016 version.

this

To me, it creates an air of complacency. Forgive the hell out of me, but I want to see the defense play aggressive in attack mode, not this hot garbage.

I posted this before, but it's worth watching again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTi3dwhPZlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matt Chatham does a good job of dispelling the idea that it's the scheme and not the execution.

I posted this before, but it's worth watching again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wTi3dwhPZlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matt Chatham does a good job of dispelling the idea that it's the scheme and not the execution.
My two cents: I agree that the scheme isn't the biggest problem, but I disagree with him about personnel. The execution hasn't been good, but I think the personnel has a lot to do with that, (and to the extent it's not the personnel, then it's the coaching).

Blitzes would work if you have some pass rushers (or if the o-line you are facing stinks), but they haven't for the most part (since Chandler Jones was sent packing).

If you drop 8 or 9 people into coverage and receivers are still wide open, then I think the secondary just isn't good enough. I don't think it's due to the coaches not teaching, but rather not enough of them are capable of doing was was asked (whether it's physical or mental, I don't know).

FWIW, if the players really are capable, then the coaching isn't good enough.

My two cents: I agree that the scheme isn't the biggest problem, but I disagree with him about personnel. The execution hasn't been good, but I think the personnel has a lot to do with that, (and to the extent it's not the personnel, then it's the coaching).

Blitzes would work if you have some pass rushers (or if the o-line you are facing stinks), but they haven't for the most part (since Chandler Jones was sent packing).

OK, let's look at some numbers.

The 2016 Pats have 21 sacks so far

The 2014 team had a total of 40 sacks for the season.

We're 9 games into the season, so 9/16ths of 40 is 22.5.

Pretty close.

The 2014 defense had some of the best talent BB has had for awhile, so if the #'s are almost the same, is it the personnel?

If you drop 8 or 9 people into coverage and receivers are still wide open, then I think the secondary just isn't good enough. I don't think it's due to the coaches not teaching, but rather not enough of them are capable of doing was was asked (whether it's physical or mental, I don't know).

FWIW, if the players really are capable, then the coaching isn't good enough.

As Matt says, it's often a case of "10 men football". All it takes is one guy to not execute the play properly and that's leads to the whole thing failing.

Reiss had a bit about that today as to why Sheard didn't play Sunday.

Anyone watching the games with a critical eye can see that, with the tipping point coming Nov. 13 against Seattle early when, in the second quarter on back-to-back plays, Sheard so badly played his assignment he compromised the integrity of the overall scheme and put his 10 other teammates in a tough spot.

I agree that it's unusual for the Pats to be this deep into the season and still not getting all 11 to be on the same page, but this type of shuffling players until they find out who can and can't execute properly has happened early in the season every year for some time now.

I suspect the changes in TC and full pad practice sessions plays a role in that.

Curran puts Matt Patricia on the spot in today's presser and Patricia answers but doesn't answer.

By Mike Petraglia

Matt Patricia was finally put on the defensive Tuesday.
During his weekly conference call with reporters – and just minutes after Bill Belichick said every head coaching vacancy list should include Patricia – the Patriots defensive coordinator was asked by CSNNE’s Tom Curran if he is at all disappointed in himself since the defense hasn’t gotten the most out of some of its higher profile talent.
Namely, Curran brought up the trade of Jamie Collins and the benching of Jabaal Sheard, both players in the final years of contracts.
The exchange began with Curran asking Patricia if he’s looking at his own job performance as a possible reason for the ups and downs of the defense and the inconsistencies of personnel.
“The defense hasn’t panned out,” Curran began. “Do you feel at all disappointed in yourself that you weren’t able to get more from those players and the way it’s kind of panned out. What level of introspection that you’re still trying to figure things out this deep in the year?
“That’s a pretty negative question there, Tom. I’m going to try to put the positive spin on that.”
“Let’s try to spin it positive if that’s the way you feel. I mean, it’s two good players,” Curran answered.
“Try to look at the good side of it,” Patricia replied. “We really try to make sure that we coach everything that really comes our way. I would say, for us, every year is different. To go into a season with expectations for certain things and to be hard core into those, I don’t really think that’s applicable. Each team are [thought] to be the best team that year and very rarely does it ever work out that way. We kind of deal with the season as it goes and the guys that we have and we do the best we can with it.
“Our expectations are the same every week. We’re going to go out and compete and do the best we can and try to improve week in and week out with whoever’s out there, and that’s what we try to do. I think that part of the season in the NFL that is great is that it’s a long season. It’s a season that’s continually evolving. If you look at the teams through the course of the different seasons that have played and wound up in the end where you want to be. I’m sure those teams have gone through a lot of different things throughout the season.
“We’re just kind of in that mix. It’s getting toward Thanksgiving. We’re going to try to play our best football here moving forward with whoever’s out there and try to get better, no matter what.

“Me as a coach, I’ll answer that one, I certainly always look at myself first and always try to make sure I’m doing everything I can to help our team prepare to win and do the best job I can, week in and week out, which is what I really try to do. From that standpoint, those guys know that. We’re always committed to try to do whatever it takes to help the team win.”
Then Curran followed up: “I think the onus is on us to let you answer directly questions about personnel that hasn’t panned out instead of us throwing stuff against the wall so that’s why it’s negative but in my estimation, fair. Do you have a problem with things that are negative? Why?”
“I think to answer it fairly I would say go back to spring when we get those questions that come up in regards to what’s the team going to be, what are they going to look like and where do guys go [in positions]? The answers that I give you are very truthful,” Patricia said. “No one has any idea when we come into spring. We’re just trying to get better by the particular day. So, those expectations for the team, each individual player, the coaches, whatever is put out there is not made by us. It’s made… what we’re trying to do is get better, and that’s what we’re focused on.
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...rying-to-still-figure-things-out-10-games-in/

OK, let's look at some numbers.

The 2016 Pats have 21 sacks so far

The 2014 team had a total of 40 sacks for the season.

We're 9 games into the season, so 9/16ths of 40 is 22.5.

Pretty close.

The 2014 defense had some of the best talent BB has had for awhile, so if the #'s are almost the same, is it the personnel?
I'm sorry for not being clear, I tried to say yes, the personnel this season on defense is not as good, IMO. BTW, Chandler Jones only had 6 sacks in 2014, (I think his lowest), as he only started 8 games that season.

As Matt says, it's often a case of "10 men football". All it takes is one guy to not execute the play properly and that's leads to the whole thing failing.

Reiss had a bit about that today as to why Sheard didn't play Sunday.

Anyone watching the games with a critical eye can see that, with the tipping point coming Nov. 13 against Seattle early when, in the second quarter on back-to-back plays, Sheard so badly played his assignment he compromised the integrity of the overall scheme and put his 10 other teammates in a tough spot.

I agree that it's unusual for the Pats to be this deep into the season and still not getting all 11 to be on the same page, but this type of shuffling players until they find out who can and can't execute properly has happened early in the season every year for some time now.

I suspect the changes in TC and full pad practice sessions plays a role in that.
OK, so Sheard is not playing well. To me that sounds like personnel, but if it's not, then it's coaching IMO. In any case, I'm claiming that Sheard last year was better than Sheard this year (although I could consider the possibility that without Jones, it makes it easier for offenses to handle Sheard, if someone thinks that's part of the difference).

Ninkovich used to average around a sack every other game, but in his first 4 games got zero sacks. However, he has gotten one in each of his last two games, so maybe he'll get back to his average by year end. FWIW, I'm not claiming the sack stats in themselves represent how well a defense is playing, as the secondary in 2014 was better than this secondary, IMO. Also the 2014 defense was much better at forcing turnovers (much more important than sacks, IMO).

I have to confess I am a little mystified that there's all this talk about the Denver vaunted defense and there is very little about the Patriots D.

Back