Pats Defense...2016 version.

Big/Sky/Fly

370hssv vw6!s tu36v
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Pats defense?

Great?

Good?

Average?

Below average?

Terrible?

What can be done to improve?

Is Matt Patricia doing his job?

There should be a poll...but, I dunno how to do that...

Right now not good, what scares me is it seems like the coaches dont know what to put them in for them to succeed. when they think the best chance to stop any pro offense it to only rush 2 players (when you can hardly get pressure by blitzing). they have 7 games left to figure out how to make this work and im not sure they will. Very good chance we are going to have to score 40 late in the year and in the playoffs, and we all know how that will work out. I will say however we see year in and year out that a team D can struggle here and there and the close the season and the playoffs by completely flipping it around....so why not the pats this year

Not good. There's still time though hopefully to improve. Though you do get a minor sense of panic within the building with the release of Collins and the different attempts and combination being tried with zone/man coverage.

Like anything in football, the battle starts and ends in the trenches and right now, our front 7 are continually getting beat up. O-Lines are coping with ease and are manhandling them. There is zero pressure coming on bar a few exceptions here and there. Very little a secondary can do when the QB has so much time in the pocket and receivers have the time to get open. We also have some CBs who aren't helping the cause.

It's not a good unit, and it's clear that Tom and co will be carrying the team to the end and the success or failure will be on their shoulders which is not a great situation to be in as you can't expect the offense to keep bailing you out. Fortunately, there are only a few very good defenses in the league at the moment. Denver and Seattle of the serious contenders are two.

When a team comes to your house and puts 31 points on the board, you know you have issues.

Right now not good, what scares me is it seems like the coaches dont know what to put them in for them to succeed. when they think the best chance to stop any pro offense it to only rush 2 players (when you can hardly get pressure by blitzing). they have 7 games left to figure out how to make this work and im not sure they will. Very good chance we are going to have to score 40 late in the year and in the playoffs, and we all know how that will work out. I will say however we see year in and year out that a team D can struggle here and there and the close the season and the playoffs by completely flipping it around....so why not the pats this year

Please football gods make it out year to be lights out.

Way too inconsistent, 1 game they are balling and the next they can't get out of their own way.

This unit is not good at all as they've had one great game this season e.g. the Houston game and then the other one against the Browns I"ll discount b/c they are a FCS team this year.

This unit will get them eliminated in January as it just reminds me of all the post 2004 Patriot units as only the 2014 one was ok but nothing compared to the 03 & 04 units.

They cannot stop the pass at all since they can't cover anyone WR/TE/RB and its compounded by the fact that they have next to 0 pass rush hence no Chandler Jones!

It should also be noted they are not that good against the run as well and thus would of gotten beaten in Pittsburgh if they had a healthy Ben as Levon Bell would of been more difficult to defend that day with Ben at the helm.

All it takes for this team to lose is if the offense has an off day e.g. Seattle game and thus the defense will in fact get exposed for what it really is which is completely unreliable when it matters most.

The good news is though, the offense is so talented that no team is going to beat us by two scores. Any team that beats us with TFB there and once Lewis gets involved, will do it by a very tight margin and coming down to a single play like yesterday. So no matter what defence we face, we'll still score and they'll have to play lights out defence to beat us. If our own defence could just improve even slightly and get some turnovers, it could really tip the balance in our favour.

What are your thoughts on the Pats defense?

Great?

Good?

Average?

Below average?

Terrible?

What can be done to improve?

Is Matt Patricia doing his job?

There should be a poll...but, I dunno how to do that...
Mediocre, mostly due to not enough talented players. It doesn't compare to any of the defenses that won superbowls. No one on the d-line is a real pass rushing threat, and only 2 DBs seem to be reliable in coverage.

The only big coaching disagreement I had was that soft zone at the end of the first half against Seattle. I suspect that decision was made by Belichick, and not Patricia.

Seattle may be the second best team in the NFC so hard to look at just that game and hammer the defense especially when the offense turned over the ball. But this defense is average at best. Just not enough play makers. There really isn't any identity. I loved the way it played smash mouth vs Buffalo. I am not sure why that was not there vs Seattle. I still have confidence that it can be better but have no illusions that this team will go as far as Brady and the O take it.

Mediocre, mostly due to not enough talented players. It doesn't compare to any of the defenses that won superbowls. No one on the d-line is a real pass rushing threat, and only 2 DBs seem to be reliable in coverage.

The only big coaching disagreement I had was that soft zone at the end of the first half against Seattle. I suspect that decision was made by Belichick, and not Patricia.

They have no talented players b/c when they do get them they get rid of them e.g. Jones & Collins. They have been doing this since they beat the Eagles in the SB and have only 1 SB win since. When they beat the Eagles without starting CB' Ty Law & Poole they thought they could win with just anyone in the secondary and thus it took 10 years to win another title and they still don't get the message.

Unless Tom plays like Superman like he did 2 years ago in the playoffs this team is getting bounced at some point b/c a good defense like KC or Denver can slow down the offense and thus allow any no name hack QB pick apart the secondary. Look at the AFC title game last year the Pats defense had trouble getting off the field against the broken down Peyton Manning in the first half. Do you think that could of sent them a message to improve the defense in the offseason? No all they do is trade their best pass rusher b/c they are too cheap to pay him!

They have no talented players b/c when they do get them they get rid of them e.g. Jones & Collins. They have been doing this since they beat the Eagles in the SB and have only 1 SB win since. When they beat the Eagles without starting CB' Ty Law & Poole they thought they could win with just anyone in the secondary and thus it took 10 years to win another title and they still don't get the message.

Unless Tom plays like Superman like he did 2 years ago in the playoffs this team is getting bounced at some point b/c a good defense like KC or Denver can slow down the offense and thus allow any no name hack QB pick apart the secondary. Look at the AFC title game last year the Pats defense had trouble getting off the field against the broken down Peyton Manning in the first half. Do you think that could of sent them a message to improve the defense in the offseason? No all they do is trade their best pass rusher b/c they are too cheap to pay him!

They put all their eggs in the offense basket this year. That was clear from the off-season with all their moves. Not a bad strategy when you have the GOAT QB. You just have to hope he has another run in him like 2014.

They put all their eggs in the offense basket this year. That was clear from the off-season with all their moves. Not a bad strategy when you have the GOAT QB. You just have to hope he has another run in him like 2014.

All it takes is one off game from the offense and this team is toast in the playoffs b/c there is no contingency plan.

Back in 03 & 04 when the Pats offense struggled to put many points on the board in playoff wins over the Titans & Colts the defense was there to pick them up but they no longer have that luxury.

All it takes is one off game from the offense and this team is toast in the playoffs b/c there is no contingency plan.

Back in 03 & 04 when the Pats offense struggled to put many points on the board in playoff wins over the Titans & Colts the defense was there to pick them up but they no longer have that luxury.

Sure but that is the risk in today's NFL. As you say back then, we did not have the offense to carry but the defense did. No team is built with two great units. It is impossible to do with the FA/cap era. If anything, the Pats have come the closest with having solid players everywhere for the most part even if they lack star power. And that is by design. I still think we need to be patient with this defense. One game does not define them and Seattle is one of the best teams in the league and they came in with revenge on their minds from the SB loss. I am of the wait and see approach but for sure there is no question the offense will have to carry us and that is not really a surprise or unusual. Most people feel the Cowboys are the best team in the league and their defense is worse than ours.

Sure but that is the risk in today's NFL. As you say back then, we did not have the offense to carry but the defense did. No team is built with two great units. It is impossible to do with the FA/cap era. If anything, the Pats have come the closest with having solid players everywhere for the most part even if they lack star power. And that is by design. I still think we need to be patient with this defense. One game does not define them and Seattle is one of the best teams in the league and they came in with revenge on their minds from the SB loss. I am of the wait and see approach but for sure there is no question the offense will have to carry us and that is not really a surprise or unusual. Most people feel the Cowboys are the best team in the league and their defense is worse than ours.

But if you go back to 03 & 04 when the defense had a few bad games the offense could come in an bail the defense out e.g. the SB against Carolina in the second half when the defense fell asleep, and then in the regular season in 03 when the Colts roared back from a 31-10 deficit but the Patriots got just enough offense to edge them.

Now today if the offense doesn't score TD's on most of it's drives we have to hold our eyes closed when the defense takes the field b/c of fear of getting scored on or having the ball moved and thus pinning the offense back in bad field position.

But if you go back to 03 & 04 when the defense had a few bad games the offense could come in an bail the defense out e.g. the SB against Carolina in the second half when the defense fell asleep, and then in the regular season in 03 when the Colts roared back from a 31-10 deficit but the Patriots got just enough offense to edge them.

Now today if the offense doesn't score TD's on most of it's drives we have to hold our eyes closed when the defense takes the field b/c of fear of getting scored on or having the ball moved and thus pinning the offense back in bad field position.

In 03/04, teams still used a fullback and you could accidentally contact a receiver.

It's a different game. Unless you have the proper reputation (Seattle, Denver, Baltimore), you're not getting those calls.

Also, it doesn't help that the front 7 is currently hot garbage, and there is no depth at CB - so these are all factors that blend together.

It is a bit of a myth that the Pats were a defensive dominated team in 03 and 04. For sure the defense was great but so was Brady. 2001 is the only year where he was a true game manager all the way to the trophy and even then he had miracle comebacks in the snow game and the GWD in the Super Bowl when the defense wilted in the fourth.

But football is not played like that anymore. Defenses can't play the way Law and Rodney did. So Bill is putting his resources with Brady given the defensive rules favor him. It worked to perfection in 2014. We have to hope the same for this year but admittedly this defense is much worse than '14.

Back