Pats Defense...2016 version.

I have a more systemic issue here with the defense.

The Patriots have shown the ability to play man and press man coverage at a high level, even when the talent isn't there.

They've shown that those same players suck playing zone.

They've never shown that they can generate a pass rush bringing just three or four. But if they blitz, they're very successful, and can then use that generic pass rush more effectively the rest of the game.

Matty Patricia? Your thoughts? :coffee:

I have a more systemic issue here with the defense.

The Patriots have shown the ability to play man and press man coverage at a high level, even when the talent isn't there.

They've shown that those same players suck playing zone.

They've never shown that they can generate a pass rush bringing just three or four. But if they blitz, they're very successful, and can then use that generic pass rush more effectively the rest of the game.

Matty Patricia? Your thoughts? :coffee:

So do we trade Logan Ryan for Brent Grimes and a pick?

So do we trade Logan Ryan for Brent Grimes and a pick?

It's past the trade deadline.

Also, I've seen Logan Ryan play man coverage. It's a lot better than the shit we saw on Sunday.

Devin McCourty was playing Corner for a good chunk of that game. :coffee:

Old saying offense wins Games . Defense wins championships. We don't have anything close to a championship defense . They still struggle to get off the field on 3rd downs .

It's past the trade deadline.

Also, I've seen Logan Ryan play man coverage. It's a lot better than the shit we saw on Sunday.

Devin McCourty was playing Corner for a good chunk of that game. :coffee:
I don't think it can get any worse. I'm not expecting them to hold teams to 7 points per game. And **** they should of got Brent Grimes. And I'm shocked they didn't go after him. BG is an elite corner and can shut down receivers Logan seems to struggle with

So it's safe to say that the honeymoon is over with the second coming of Patrick Chung as right now he's no better than Chung's first go around with the Pats.

They should of realized he was just a reclamation project and thus target another safety to start alongside Devin.

So it's safe to say that the honeymoon is over with the second coming of Patrick Chung as right now he's no better than Chung's first go around with the Pats.

They should of realized he was just a reclamation project and thus target another safety to start alongside Devin.

They tried to use him differently. He was in the box for most of the 2nd coming but in recent games he's been put in coverage more & more. That obviously isn't working so either he will learn or another option is he can go back to playing up again and Harmon can go back. I'm not sure why the Pats decided to try Chung in coverage instead of leaving Harmon back there.

Mark Daniels ‏<s>@</s>MarkDanielsPJ <small class="time"> </small> Akiem Hicks, who the Patriots wanted to re-sign, has four sacks this season for Chicago. Easley has two forced fumbles.

I'd love to have had Hicks but he wanted the money and I can't blame him.
Easley wasn't following team rules. In fact he was purposefully snubbing the directions of the team's doctors and trainers. Toodle oo.

they were recently humbled and will either regroup and play as a unit or they will fall apart quickly and be out in round 2 of playoffs. no conference championship game.

they were recently humbled and will either regroup and play as a unit or they will fall apart quickly and be out in round 2 of playoffs. no conference championship game.

Matthew Slater, Devin McCourty answer Ty Law’s ‘have some damn pride’ criticism of defense

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td style="text-transform:none; text-align:right;">11.16.16 at 1:19 pm ET</td> </tr> </tbody></table> By Mike Petraglia
FOXBORO — It’s one thing when fans or the media critique the Patriots’ defense.
It’s another when a former defensive star and Super Bowl hero chimes in and rips what he is seeing on the field.
Ty Law appeared on FS1’s “Undisputed” and ripped into what he sees as a very passive attitude from many players on the defense. He said on the show that the Patriots veterans on defense need to stand up and “have some damn pride” before it gets too late in the season.
“Play better. We can hoot and holler and yell and scream but leaders have to play better,” Devin McCourty said Wednesday. “It starts with us. If we play better, usually the whole defense plays better. Leadership comes in different forms, and at times, you have to do different things to lead. But the best way to lead is to go out there and play good football and lead the team and give them an example to follow.
“All the veteran players and the leaders on this defense have to go play better. I think that’s what we think as a team in all phases. Bill [Belichick] says it all the time: If you’re a leader on the team, it starts with you. You go out there and play well, the team will follow.”
McCourty was asked how he could calm the fears of fans who think the Patriots are a mess defensively since the trades of Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.
“It’s simple. We’ve just got to play better. There’s nothing I can say to calm that or anything,” McCourty added. “We’ve just got to go out there and play better. That’s what everyone in our locker room and everyone on defense wants to do. There’s nothing to say. You’ve just got to go do it.”
Matthew Slater, the third-longest tenured player on the Patriots and a captain, said Wednesday that he has no worries that the leadership on the team will carry the team through any rough patches.
“I’m confident in the men that we have in this locker room,” Slater said. “I think that there is some great leadership there. Everyone leads differently, though. And that’s something that I certainly understand and guys understand that. Obviously, we all need to hold each other accountable to do our jobs at a high level. We play for one another so ultimately, everybody could do a better job when you look back at the tape after a loss. And everybody can say, ‘If I had done that, if they had done that.’

“But, we’re one or two plays away from coming out with a different story.”
Slater recalled how the team responded after last year’s 35-28 home loss to the Eagles, adding, “certainly one of the worst performances we’ve had in the nine years I’ve been here.”
McCourty sounded a similar tone.
“I think it’s all up to the players,” McCourty added. “It falls on us on going out there and playing better after a loss. I think any type of game, anything you go through, adversity-wise, can help you. But it’s all on how you respond and how you go out there and come back from it. I think that falls on us. We’ve been in games where we’ve won but we haven’t particularly played well and we’ve learned from those games and the different things we didn’t do well and improved on it the next week. Now, coming off a loss, it’s something that we have to improve on and go out there and play better football.”
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...ws-have-some-damn-pride-criticism-of-defense/

Sheard didnt travel to SF. NFL.com reports its due to performance reasons. Dont know whats happening to our front seven (it was supposed to be the best in years). Good thing were not playing a good QB for the remainder of the season.

The biggest puzzle to me is Logan Ryan.

I watched a lot of him during the Houston game and he was all over DeAndre Hopkins. Ryan solo covered him for a good portion of the game. Even his catches were closely contested and he maybe wiggled free about twice with little damage. I thought Ryan was outstanding. He was mirroring, tackling.....all you could ask.

Here we are a few games later and he can't get on the field.

How does a guy play so well against a top 5 type and then disappear?

How does a guy play so well against a top 5 type and then disappear?

And in his contract year where just a good season makes him a ton more money? :shrug:

Cheers

Sheard didnt travel to SF. NFL.com reports its due to performance reasons. Dont know whats happening to our front seven (it was supposed to be the best in years). Good thing were not playing a good QB for the remainder of the season.

If performance was the reason for a player not to travel, we would not be bringing a defense with us.

If I die, I want the 2016 patriots defense to be my Paul bearers. So they can let me down one more time lmao. I know yall heard it before but it's hilarious

From Reiss today

3. What has led Patriots defensive end Jabaal Sheard to surprisingly slip down the depth chart? It is a question that hasn’t been answered decisively at this point, but it reflects how the Patriots’ D remains in transition and also how some personnel hasn’t performed up to expected levels. A one-time starter whose presence was viewed as critical when the decision was made to trade Chandler Jones, Sheard played just 16 snaps against the Seahawks on Sunday, noticeably struggled at times (e.g. losing containment on the edge in the run game), and will be inactive today against the 49ers after not traveling with the club. How Sheard responds mentally to the demotion bears watching.
4. When players like Sheard don’t meet expectations, it isn’t solely on them. A big part of football is how the players are being utilized and led, and that shines a brighter spotlight on the work of defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Given the quality of personnel on defense entering the year, it is fair to expect more from the unit, and Patricia is the leader of the group. Coming off their worst defensive performance of the season against Seattle, I’m curious how Patricia responds today and also how Patriots defenders respond to him. It could be telling.
5. As for the future, Sheard is one of several players scheduled for free agency after the season, a group that includes linebacker Dont'a Hightower, cornerback Logan Ryan, safety Duron Harmon and cornerback Malcolm Butler (restricted free agency). Meanwhile, two notable players who were on that list at the start of the season -- defensive end Chandler Jones and linebacker Jamie Collins -- have been traded. Given some of the struggles on defense this season, it will lead some to explore whether the team’s lack of contract extensions for defenders is having a negative effect on morale/performance. I saw it happen in 2009 with Vince Wilfork, who was so frustrated at stagnant extension talks that he struggled to find the place mentally where he could put contract thoughts aside and lead. A leadership void was one reason that season ended in well below the team’s usual standard with a blowout loss in the wild-card round of the playoffs.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...team-captain-as-jabaal-sheard-falls-off-radar

Back