Pats Planet Official Boston BRUINS thread

Lyndon Byers was talking about when the Bruins traded for Brian Propp, Propp lived with him, he said he was a nice guy but a whack job.

He said everytime they got back to Byers condo he said 'Hello where home' even though Byers lived by himself.

He would do that thing with the elevator kids do - 'the elevator is here...now....now' he said the first time he thought it was a joke but he did it every time.

He said when he got home Propp woud be on the couch naked playing guitar..

I had heard Propp described as a "free spirit" in an old SI article from his Flyer days. Now, I've got some context to go with the characterization! :archive:

Ray also broke into the league with guys like O'reilly, Cashman and Ratelle...he got to see leaders in action before he became one..

Joe didn't have guys of that calibar to learn from..

He had Ray...that should have been enough.

Problem is- some people are just not wired to be leaders. In Joe's case, SJ is a the perfect fit for him. He can go be California Cool and it doesn't matter. But that laid-back, "It's all good" mentality just didn't play well in Boston.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the hockey krishna's for all the valuable insight into this team. I'm quickly reacquainting myself with the B's after having lost the passion over ten years ago.

There was a time when the B's were #1A (after #1 Pats) for me. I would listen to Bob Wilson for almost every game. I couldn't get enough of them (growing up during the Orr years had much to do with that). It does seem that a bit of the old hockey style is back after the NHL tried to turn it into a European league. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Impressive stretch by the B's. Just ran through #2-6 with a 4-0-1 record. Big week next week with SJ and @NJ.

Here's my perhaps simplistic take on why the Bs very well could win the cup.

1. They have several skilled, dangerous players. Kessel, Savard, Lucic, Bergeron, Chara, Wideman, Krecji, Ryder and Wheeler are all elite or borderline elite players. That's a lot on one team.

2. They have excellent goaltending. Tim Thomas is the real deal. Fernandez is a capable back-up or 1A. Rask is great insurance if one of them goes down or is traded (Manny, not Tim).

3. They have at least two serious lines that are serious scoring threats.

4. They have several character guys that at toughness and grit, and a real leader of the the second tier players in Shawn Thornton, as Andy Brickley recently pointed out.

5. They have a coach that the players really seem to believe in.

6. They've played through injuries to many key players without skipping a beat.

7. They have young depth and players pushing the guys on the active roster down in Providence or on the bench right now.

8. They've been through a 7-game series with a very good team.

I'm really starting to believe that they can do this. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs, but this team has a very bright future.

He had Ray...that should have been enough.

Problem is- some people are just not wired to be leaders. In Joe's case, SJ is a the perfect fit for him. He can go be California Cool and it doesn't matter. But that laid-back, "It's all good" mentality just didn't play well in Boston.

I agree, my only point was thta 79 - 80 team was loaded with leaders...Ray has more than once credited O'reilly with teaching him how to be a pro.

The 'C' makes some guys better, others not so much..

Hmmm...another Bruins game, another win. No. 38 on the year, which means three more and they will have equalled their total from ALL of last season.

These guys are having a monster year- keep it going, B's!

Errr...make that 38 wins- hopefully after tonight in Ottawa it's 39.

PHILADELPHIA - Dave Semenko, who made his bones in the NHL as Wayne Gretzky's sidecar policeman during their great years together in Edmonton, now scouts for the Oilers, and has been showing up lately at Bruins games. He attended the Bruins-Canadiens match Sunday in Montreal, and he was here last night to see the Bruins beat the Flyers, 3-1.

Discuss
COMMENTS (10)
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, when queried about Semenko's presence, flashed a broad smile and simultaneously offered a pronounced shrug of his shoulders. The third-year GM steadfastly refuses to address trade speculation - just as he won't discuss contract negotiations - which leaves the media able only to speculate about what moves could be afoot.

The Oilers, still in the hunt for one of the final playoff seeds in the Western Conference, are in need of a winger to play on the Shawn Horcoff-Ales Hemsky line. They also could use help at the faceoff circle, where Horcoff takes most of the draws.

The Bruins would have great interest in ex-Hurricanes winger Erik Cole, the big, smooth-skating winger. He has 12 goals and 22 points in 50 games this season. Cole, 30, who is making $4 million this season, becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Bruins could fit him into the salary cap because they have Marco Sturm's $3.5 million at their disposal, following the German winger's season-ending knee surgery.

The Oilers likely would target the likes of winger Vladimir Sobotka (now in Providence) and/or defenseman Matt Hunwick (sidelined with flu-like symptoms) in a swap for Cole.

PHILADELPHIA - Dave Semenko, who made his bones in the NHL as Wayne Gretzky's sidecar policeman during their great years together in Edmonton, now scouts for the Oilers, and has been showing up lately at Bruins games. He attended the Bruins-Canadiens match Sunday in Montreal, and he was here last night to see the Bruins beat the Flyers, 3-1.

Discuss
COMMENTS (10)
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, when queried about Semenko's presence, flashed a broad smile and simultaneously offered a pronounced shrug of his shoulders. The third-year GM steadfastly refuses to address trade speculation - just as he won't discuss contract negotiations - which leaves the media able only to speculate about what moves could be afoot.

The Oilers, still in the hunt for one of the final playoff seeds in the Western Conference, are in need of a winger to play on the Shawn Horcoff-Ales Hemsky line. They also could use help at the faceoff circle, where Horcoff takes most of the draws.

The Bruins would have great interest in ex-Hurricanes winger Erik Cole, the big, smooth-skating winger. He has 12 goals and 22 points in 50 games this season. Cole, 30, who is making $4 million this season, becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Bruins could fit him into the salary cap because they have Marco Sturm's $3.5 million at their disposal, following the German winger's season-ending knee surgery.

The Oilers likely would target the likes of winger Vladimir Sobotka (now in Providence) and/or defenseman Matt Hunwick (sidelined with flu-like symptoms) in a swap for Cole.

Let's swap Lashoff for Hunwick and throw in a box of those disposable glove warmers and call it a deal.

Cole is that left handed shot that we need. At same time, as I watch Aaron Ward breakdown time after time in our own end, I feel better knowing that there is a Hunwick caliber defense chomping on stale popcorn up in the pressbox...ready to go at a moments notice.

I like Cole, he's also been part of a cup winner.

If the B's could land Cole and Witt i'd be very happy.

I thought Wheeler looked verry good last nighT.

Joe still isnt a leader
Joe is Bledsoe-esque in that regard
Big Joe is in Cali...where he belongs...he is not much more than a happy go lucky kid in a big body...too much stress for him on Boston

3. They have at least two serious lines that are serious scoring threats.
something that was Missing during Neely's playing days when they were last contenders

Discuss
COMMENTS (10)

Just a quick note...HockeyBuzz is reporting it's one of either Sabotka or Hunwick, not the pair. I think Hunwick for Cole straight up would be over paying big time.

I like Hunwick, but he needs to learn to play better defense. I went to the Bruins-Capitals game in Washington last month, and he was directly responsible for Mike Green's power play goal when he vacated his position and went to where Dennis Wideman was to cover Michael Nylander, allowing Green to walk in alone and pick his corner. He also stood there and watched while Jamie Langebrunner picked up the rebound and beat Tim Thomas in OT last week.

I'm not trying to bag on Hunwick he's a rookie and will get better, but because he was such a low draft pick, he gets a lot of free passes from fans that other players like Matt Lashoff don't. I've seen Lashoff make some excellent defensive plays, but he gets jumped on over every little mistake because he was a 1st-round pick. Granted- he makes his share of mistakes, but people act like Hunwick is a model of near-perfection, and he's clearly not.

My point is that the team should try and keep them both if at all possible. Trading Lashoff for a rental just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Like Hunwick, he's going to get better. Hunwick's definitely been the better player early, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off Lashoff after less than 50 games in the NHL. If Lashoff is dealt, it should be for a player who will have some longer-term longevity, because he reminds me a lot of Dan Boyle- a guy who took a while to develop, but eventually became one of the better PP guys in the league. The Bruins potentially have that in Lash, and it would be a shame to see him scoring 15+ goals a year for some other team because the Bruins and fans were impatient.

Just my .02- I also realize that you have to give to get, so Erik Cole is going to come at a price. Unfortunately, he's a UFA, and with his salary, would be gone come July in all likelihood.

Good point, more is expected of lashoff given his first round pick status...Hunwick is given more rope because he is a 'surpirse'..

Having said that I looked at both guys number and they look to be very similar..

Wasn't pretty but the Bruins deed eet again!

Shootout win over Ottawa tonight for win 39, 84 points (20 on Montreal) and four wins in a row.

Thomas stopped all 5 Ottawa shooters, while PJ Axelsson finally broke through for the winning shot.

Scoreboard don't say how, just how many. And, how big was Chuck Kobasew's PP goal to tie it? Bruins almost let one get away after blowing a 2-0 lead.

I`ll take the win. Great shoot-out. I`m glad they came up on top. Thomas was stoppin everything tonite.

I'm not sure why the Senator were bitching about the Vermette high stick on Ryder, it was clear as day...Ryder looked like he bleeding pretty good.

Word is Lucic may have a broken foot, lets hope not.

If he is out for a bit the bruins need to pick up someone with some physical presence, thats something they lack especially without Lucic in the lineup..

I'm not sure why the Senator were bitching about the Vermette high stick on Ryder, it was clear as day...Ryder looked like he bleeding pretty good.

Word is Lucic may have a broken foot, lets hope not.

If he is out for a bit the bruins need to pick up someone with some physical presence, thats something they lack especially without Lucic in the lineup..

No break for Looch....

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2009/02/no_break_for_lu.html

I took that as he can't catch a break. damn you

My bad hammer.....it also said he practiced today and had a good quote:

Paraphrasing...."My foot feels suprisingly better today and with the endorsement of the coaches and training staff, I look forward to shoving it up Marty Biron's arse."

Back