Pats vs Phins postgame notes

The Hoodie

Let's make it 5!
Reaction score
What a thrilling start to the season. With all the draft and lockout nonsense it was great to see our boys back on the field. Great to be back writing a review.

The game started off shaky--the defense was getting rocked and MIA made them look like chumps. Most notable was the lack of a pass rush. They came out in a 3 man front but the ROLB came down and went into a stance, turning it into a 4-3. The lack of pass rush was evident on the first drive, but the flags started flying out. A WR (Marshall, I believe) catches a ball clearly out of bounds and there is no replay, and a few plays later another WR catches a ball after it bounces off the ground and is ruled a catch. Penalties were key to the game, as we've seen. There was a good rush by Ninkovich to force a bad throw, but otherwise we didn't see too much of a pass rush in this opening drive. The defense did force them to 4th down but they went for it and made it. The original personnel on 4th did not include Albert, but after a time out he came on the field.

Ras-I and McCourty were playing the outside, which I thought was a good idea. However, we saw that McCourty was lined up against Marshall. I'm not sure why, perhaps this is because McCourty has more experience than Ras, but Ras should definitely be lined up against Marshall because of their similar size.

Anyway, the offense came on the field and played spectacular. A beautiful PA deep pass to WR Slater added to the tempo. We only saw Chad on the field once during the 1st quarter, which was negative because Chad was incorrectly lined up and the play was called back. Attribute his lack of knowledge in the system for this matter, IMO. When Chad gets a better grasp of the playbook, I have a feeling he will be utilized in a great way. A key matchup was Nate Solder vs the right side, whether it be Wake or someone else. He fared very well in his NFL debut, not getting destroyed like most thought he would be. This is a combo of Nate himself being a fine OL, but also the coaching. He looked very good against a very good pass rusher tonight.

We came out in 3 TE sets a lot of the time, which might signal run but there were lots of PA passes. I reckon they were to keep that defense off guard as they were constantly running PA plays. In the 1st quarter, the defense was getting burned by Reggie Bush, and they clearly made the adjustment into the 2nd half. They needed to plug the middle (as most--if not all of his runs came from there) and fill the gaps, and we saw that they adjusted accordingly. The pass rush improved from the 1st quarter but not what we all thought it would be. Props to Miami's OL.

Haynesworth looked very good, he got good penetration and when he did go to the ground, he didn't lay down. I liked what I saw from him.

As the game moved on, we saw a lot more PA passes, and passes to the TEs, who they had struggles stopping.

At halftime, Miami was down by 7 and celebrating. That should say a lot.

Good 2nd half by our Patriots. Then, there was the INT, which came off a deflected pass off a botched screen. I thought this was interesting because Brady's previous INT against the NYJ came off of a screen play. It was a great play by the defender to take it down, and a great hustle by Branch to stop the TD. The defense allowed a walk in. Marshall was hot around this time because he was lined up against a much smaller McCourty, who was getting burned by his physicality and speed. When MIA was at the GL, they put Ras-I on Marshall, and it seemed as whenever Ras was on Marshall, Marshall was stopped.

Defense did a fine job when the Bess dive was called back and MIA had it at the GL. A poor play call allowed a turn over, and the 99 yard TD from Brady to Welker is the TD that put the nail in the coffin.

So, obviously there are some kinks to work on with defense. Devin McCourty didn't look bad, but not too great tonight and he was visibly tired because of the work Brandon was giving him. Ras, my favorite rookie, played very well for his debut. There were no turnovers, but our pass rush generated a few sacks on the night. The pass rush must improve, and the run defense needs to make more efforts to plug the middle.

On offense at times, we looked unstoppable. The TEs we have seem to be uncoverable--one is a huge, huge target, and the other is a bona fide WR. It's unfair to have two guys on one roster like that, but no team seems to have come up with a remedy to stop them. Brady did a great job picking on MIA's #2 CB as Branch had a phenomenal day, making key grabs. There is correcting that needs to be done on offense clearly---the mental errors that force picks like today, and utilizing the RBs, as Ridley was unheard of today.

All in all, a great performance by the offense today. The defense played fine at times, but horrid at other times. Shame to hear about the injuries to Koppen and Marshall. It was a good start to the season. Defense needs work, but I think we'll see that over time. Only time can tell, and next week, our opponent won't be as "easy" on our defense. Thanks for reading.

Haynesworth looked very good, he got good penetration and when he did go to the ground, he didn't lay down. I liked what I saw from him.
Didn't he also draw at least 3 holding penalties?

Didn't he also draw at least 3 holding penalties?

Could have been more if the refs threw the flags for the pats a bit more, they were not on our side it seemed.

Who thought it was a smart idea to give Sergio #31?

Could have been more if the refs threw the flags for the pats a bit more, they were not on our side it seemed.
As long as the Pats get the calls at home it's all good. I didn't they were terribly one sided, the non PI call for OchoCinco was pretty bad, as was the Bush no TD call, both right in front of the refs

As long as the Pats get the calls at home it's all good. I didn't they were terribly one sided, the non PI call for OchoCinco was pretty bad, as was the Bush no TD call, both right in front of the refs

And I saw guys getting tackled going to Henne, it was just blatant.

I wasn't thrilled with the LB corps tonight. Granted Henne's an above-average QB in terms of his mobility but the DL snuffed him out of the pocket often tonight and he couldn't be contained and converted quite a few big plays while on the move. That's stressful on the secondary as well.

Hopefully just some wrinkles to be ironed out but that's my one area of criticism.

One area that I was really impressed with was the running game. They only ran around 20 times but were VERY effective when they did and created tremendous balance for the O. Good stuff there.

I wasn't thrilled with the LB corps tonight. Granted Henne's an above-average QB in terms of his mobility but the DL snuffed him out of the pocket often tonight and he couldn't be contained and converted quite a few big plays while on the move. That's stressful on the secondary as well.

Hopefully just some wrinkles to be ironed out but that's my one area of criticism.

One area that I was really impressed with was the running game. They only ran around 20 times but were VERY effective when they did and created tremendous balance for the O. Good stuff there.

LB weren't great, Safeties weren't great - but it's only week 1. I think I saw some things that made me think they can get a lot better.

Solder and Dowling impressed the hell out of me, I was surprised Ridley didn't get to see the field at all especially at the end to run out the game.

LB weren't great, Safeties weren't great - but it's only week 1. I think I saw some things that made me think they can get a lot better.

Agreed. This defense is a whole lot more physical and athletic than any group NE has trotted on the field for some time. Virtually everything Miami got tonight was either a terrific play or a result of miscommunication. I understand the negative comments, but this is going to be a hell of a defense by season's end.

As for the LB's, other than Henne's runs what jumped out as being problematic? I thought they played better than they did at any time last year. :shrug:

I found it interesting that Miami was gifted three catches on their first drive. The first one looked to be OOB, the second looked to have bounced on the ground and the tremendous catch by the TE looked like it squirted out beneath him just as the camera was lifting up.

Benny is going to have me eating my words if he can keep making plays like his TD run. He beat defenders to the edge a few times as well, which he hardly ever did last year. Can guys get faster with age?

FWIW, Hoodie, McCourty is not a little guy. At 5'10" he is more than big enough to stay with Marshall. I didn't see many plays where Brandon outjumped or outmuscled Devin.

I found it interesting that Miami was gifted three catches on their first drive. The first one looked to be OOB, the second looked to have bounced on the ground and the tremendous catch by the TE looked like it squirted out beneath him just as the camera was lifting up.

I have no issue with the 3rd one, the 1st one I only saw one replay and the angle wasn't great, but the 2nd one? That looked terrible,even from the only angle they showed as it happened; big surprise that one wasn't replayed.

SSDD

As for the LB's, other than Henne's runs what jumped out as being problematic? I thought they played better than they did at any time last year. :shrug:

I thought they were pretty bad in coverage tonight.

OK, I can understand an opposing team's message board not being too willing to give the Pats props, and I should know better to poke my nose in over at JI, but one of their posters just made the most ridiculous statement I can imagine.

"Gronkowski is the epitome of a JAG"

Unless he was referring to Dan Gronkowski, and I don't think he was, the ignorance just dripping from that comment boggles the mind.

OK, I can understand an opposing team's message board not being too willing to give the Pats props, and I should know better to poke my nose in over at JI, but one of their posters just made the most ridiculous statement I can imagine.

"Gronkowski is the epitome of a JAG"

Unless he was referring to Dan Gronkowski, and I don't think he was, the ignorance just dripping from that comment boggles the mind.

They probably meant Gostkowski :coffee:

ROFL

Agreed. This defense is a whole lot more physical and athletic than any group NE has trotted on the field for some time. Virtually everything Miami got tonight was either a terrific play or a result of miscommunication. I understand the negative comments, but this is going to be a hell of a defense by season's end.

I don't want to give off the vibe that I have a long-term concern over the LB'ers by any means. I just feel they were a bit flat tonight. Mayo, in particular, got beat in coverage early on a few times by Bush and Fassano (no shame in that, truthfully) and had some poor tackling early as well. I'm not sure if Henne was simply allowed to run up the middle by design as much in order to contain Bush, Bess and Fassano when they were out in the flat toward the sidelines - it very well may be the case. But as you said, Miami made some terrific plays tonight. As many "that had to be perfect for it to work" plays as I can recall seeing from an opponent in a single game in quite some time. But I would have liked to have seen Henne given a reason to think twice about tucking and running and that never really came. But TommyD's also right, the safeties factor in their as well and while they racked up a ton of tackles, collectively, there weren't many that stand out. Agree it can only get better, moving forward. Glad to have a game, post-Meriweather, under their belts too.

McCourty's 5'10 vs Marshall's 6'4? Or would you rather, Marshall's 6'4 to Ras' 6'2?

They definitely struggle with the bigger, more physical WRS. I hven't seen any film so I can't point out specific plays where Brandon used his size now.

McCourty's 5'10 vs Marshall's 6'4? Or would you rather, Marshall's 6'4 to Ras' 6'2?

They definitely struggle with the bigger, more physical WRS. I hven't seen any film so I can't point out specific plays where Brandon used his size now.

I think what we're all forgetting is that Brandon Marshall is a damned fine receiver - and I think McCourty did a good job on him tonight, considering.

I think what we're all forgetting is that Brandon Marshall is a damned fine receiver - and I think McCourty did a good job on him tonight, considering.

This in a major way. Marshall isn't some random scrub off the street. The only reason he has a bad rep is because of his mental disorder.

Back