Poll: Do You Smoke Pot?

Do You Smoke Pot?

• YES! Gotta have my reefer!

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Yes. Have it around most of the time

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Yes, if someone offers, but I don't buy it myself

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • No. Used to but quit (too paranoid; too expensive; illegal; grew up, etc.)

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • No. Never have, but would like to try it sometime.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • NO! ILLEGAL!

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Grab Bag: zombies, cheese, thomas144, prefer heroin, etc.

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Michigan Dave on 02-27-2008 at 06:08 PM said:
Team Blow (er, I mean blue? :D ) No, they weren't the piss cup holders. The girls who were student trainers held the piss cups. I always felt it was shitty that they made them do it, but to be honest I'd rather it was a girl than a guy.

Team Blow had a whole other purpose, and it was much more tremendous and much less awkward.

They made girls hold piss-cups for guys?!

I'm rather surprised they could do that.

If it were MY daughter.... :cuss: :grrr: :grumpy: blowup

CleatMarks on 02-27-2008 at 05:19 PM said:
You can letter without being a student-athlete. Just like you can play and not letter. You were a graduate assistant?

The NCAA defines a student athlete as someone who is enrolled in classes and who competes in regular squad practices.

Drug tests are administered by The National Center for Drug Free Sport, Inc. You're required to show up with your id. You're then handed a cup and an identification number. You pee in the cup, with a same sex observer, and then once you finish your business, you put that seal on it with the tag and your id.

I've never seen a graduate assistant get tested and I've seen a lot of testing. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that's not my experience. I just don't know why they would test at one school and not another when the testing is done through the NCDFS.

He was the 10th backup QB on the Michigan roster. And one hell of a practice squad QB.

Don't be knockin' any of my Wolverines. :Lecture:

:fight:

mgoblue101415 on 02-27-2008 at 06:43 PM said:
He was the 10th backup QB on the Michigan roster. And one hell of a practice squad QB.

Don't be knockin' any of my Wolverines. :Lecture:

:fight:

I'm not knocking anyone. If he was a member of the squad, it makes sense. The reason I say that is because the names are not selected by the school. That's why it didn't make sense.

I stand by everything I said though ;)

Well stated.. just like booze there are people who can smoke pot once in awhile and are okay with that, others will get hooked and need it every day to survive. That's the nature of addiction. Weed isn't exactly heroin, but it's not harmless either. The biggest problem with it is when young kids are doing it, since it saps ambition and drive and that's the last thing young people need. If people are doing it at a party, once in a blue moon and can handle that, then good for them. I just hope they don't get hooked because they really might end up living with their parents until they are 40 and having a paper route for a job... and that would suck. Put down the bong and study kids! ;)

amwreck on 02-27-2008 at 05:03 PM said:
It has taken forever to try to catch up to the end of this thread.

Anyways, a couple words on addiction. There are two distinct types - physiological and mental. Alcohol is a physical addiction, as is nicotine. They create changes in the brain that cause the brain not to create various chemicals unless the drug is present. In some cases, the brain quits creating as much of a chemical because it is being provided by the drug.

The mental addictions are based on creation of chemicals in the brain based on stimuli. In the case of gambling, it is often the adrenaline rush that the person is seeking.

Anyways, I grew up with an alcoholic mother who went through three rehabs and never quit drinking. She was 53 (?) when she was literally found dying in a gutter. She died of cirrhosis of the liver. She destroyed her life by drinking but she simply couldn't stop.

There is a big difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic. A heavy drinker may drink a twelve pack every night because they want to, but an alcoholic will drink because they have to. A heavy drinker will go to work for a day and then go out to the bar afterwards to get drunk by choice. An alcoholic will lose their job because they'd rather be drunk. This is not to say that a heavy drinker is not often times (or most times) an alcoholic, but alcoholism is simply an addiction.

I quit smoking for the third time over six years ago. I still get cravings now and then. I still have dreams of smoking. It was a very physical thing. I felt it in the back of my mouth. It's something that I can't explain and no addict ever really can. I know that if I smoke one cigarette now, I will immediately buy a pack and begin smoking again whether I know it's right or not.

Addiction is impossible to describe to those who have never truly been addicted. To those who think it is a matter of will power, it's not. There is an element of will power involved, but that is the will to seek help and the will to admit to yourself that there is a problem - the first step.

OldBag, I am right on board with everything you've said in this thread. Your posts have been dead on.

CleatMarks on 02-27-2008 at 06:19 PM said:
You can letter without being a student-athlete. Just like you can play and not letter. You were a graduate assistant?

The NCAA defines a student athlete as someone who is enrolled in classes and who competes in regular squad practices.

Drug tests are administered by The National Center for Drug Free Sport, Inc. You're required to show up with your id. You're then handed a cup and an identification number. You pee in the cup, with a same sex observer, and then once you finish your business, you put that seal on it with the tag and your id.

I've never seen a graduate assistant get tested and I've seen a lot of testing. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that's not my experience. I just don't know why they would test at one school and not another when the testing is done through the NCDFS.

I was tested because I would practice on occasion. When we played option teams or some sort of a trick-running QB I'd practice. I also ran the scout team on walkthroughs since only the travel team was there on Fridays. We would have full-squad tests in August at the start of camp where there were outside people that administered them. They were done en masse in the locker room bathrooms. There was no "observation" other than the dudes being in there while you went, taking your cup, sealing it and providing the other part of the seal to the school administrator. One on the chain of custody, one on the cup, one to the school.

There were random tests done every week during the season. I have no idea who administered them or if they were required. When walking into the football building on Sunday for the walk-through, there would be 5 or so names of guys who had to report directly to the training room. They were taken into the side room, did their business, and left. It was the staff trainers who conducted these tests, and there were no sticker seals. I never had to do that. Like I said, I'm a nobody. They administered the spring ball test this way though.

CleatMarks on 02-27-2008 at 06:47 PM said:
I'm not knocking anyone. If he was a member of the squad, it makes sense. The reason I say that is because the names are not selected by the school. That's why it didn't make sense.

I stand by everything I said though ;)

Some of that doesn't make sense, though. There were walk-ons who didn't join the team until after the first game (they had to wait until the academic year started)- we're talking about 5-6 guys who were the last roster players. They did not take the main test at the beginning of camp. Perhaps they went at some other time I was unaware of.

The random checks were not selected by the school so far as I know, because there was never any heads up and guys used to chug the All-Sport. But they were not done by outside people. The NCAA may have changed, but as far as I remember, those were done by staff trainers.

Michigan Dave on 02-27-2008 at 08:14 PM said:
Some of that doesn't make sense, though. There were walk-ons who didn't join the team until after the first game (they had to wait until the academic year started)- we're talking about 5-6 guys who were the last roster players. They did not take the main test at the beginning of camp. Perhaps they went at some other time I was unaware of.

The random checks were not selected by the school so far as I know, because there was never any heads up and guys used to chug the All-Sport. But they were not done by outside people. The NCAA may have changed, but as far as I remember, those were done by staff trainers.

Random testing can happen at any time. There's a 36 hour window. The way I've seen it done is that the entire team shows up and 16 people are selected. The names are not known ahead of time.

Also, there is always a round of testing done before bowl games in my experience.

Michigan Dave on 02-27-2008 at 08:11 PM said:
I was tested because I would practice on occasion. When we played option teams or some sort of a trick-running QB I'd practice. I also ran the scout team on walkthroughs since only the travel team was there on Fridays. We would have full-squad tests in August at the start of camp where there were outside people that administered them. They were done en masse in the locker room bathrooms. There was no "observation" other than the dudes being in there while you went, taking your cup, sealing it and providing the other part of the seal to the school administrator. One on the chain of custody, one on the cup, one to the school.

There were random tests done every week during the season. I have no idea who administered them or if they were required. When walking into the football building on Sunday for the walk-through, there would be 5 or so names of guys who had to report directly to the training room. They were taken into the side room, did their business, and left. It was the staff trainers who conducted these tests, and there were no sticker seals. I never had to do that. Like I said, I'm a nobody. They administered the spring ball test this way though.

Then Michigan must have performed testing above and beyond what the NCAA did because there are strict rules about how they are conducted. It's not a school by school thing.

I'll do it every once in a while if offered. It's more of a social thing, and I find that there is quite a bit of ppl in college that do it. Not too many of my friends do it a lot, but a lot of my friends that are athletes (football and basketball mainly, im not sure about other sports) seem to be into it the most. That's why I'm not too surprised with hearing Faulk did it. I also think it's more prevalent among guys than girls, and I would definitely say that the guys use it more frequently than the girls I know.

tmack on 02-27-2008 at 09:30 PM said:

Wassup crackerhead…chill out man…grab some zzz. Spark up a bone. I know a couple chicks we can ball for free..don’t need no bread. They’re really farout dood. Freak freely man. Don’t be so bummed out . Just be cool with the fuzz and they wont hassle you.

Later we can bug out and catch some toons at this gig I know. You can crash at my pad. Got some blotters if you want to take a trip.

Screw those zitted ditzes.. Get with it man. Go join a commune and freak out dude. And always hug a tree.

-JJ- on 02-27-2008 at 09:09 PM said:
Wassup crackerhead…chill out man…grab some zzz. Spark up a bone. I know a couple chicks we can ball for free..don’t need no bread. They’re really farout dood. Freak freely man. Don’t be so bummed out . Just be cool with the fuzz and they wont hassle you.

Later we can bug out and catch some toons at this gig I know. You can crash at my pad. Got some blotters if you want to take a trip.

Screw those zitted ditzes.. Get with it man. Go join a commune and freak out dude. And always hug a tree.

ROFL

You win, sir. :D

Only if watching the Wizard of Oz while playing Dark Side of the Moon.

Or listening to any Pink Floyd, actually.

Or watching any movie, actually.

Or listening to any music other than Pink Floyd, now that I think of it.

....oh yeah, and if I wake up that day, too.

But only in those situations. I don't want to abuse it.

Since the topic of addiction is one of the (many) tributaries of this thread, I'm going to throw out a plug for a TV show called "Interventions" on the A&E channel.

It's a show where a camera crew follows an addict around showing the wreckage of their life before they spring a suprise intervention on the subject featuring their families begging them to get help. Some of these people are so extreme it is unbeliveable, but all of them end up realizing they are f$%ked if they don't go for treatment and submit.

Most of the addicts seem to be into Meth or heroin with a few hardcore alcoholics sprinkled in and the show is a total car wreck. You can't turn away and you wait curiously for the synopsis at the end where they detail how they made out in treatment. Most seem to turn it around and some other sad cases usually end up in jail or worse.

My wife is thinking about having an intervention with me to get me to stop watching this show, but I'm hooked.

Note that no reefer maniacs have been or probably ever will be featured, but it is damn good voyeuristic TV.

Hawg73 on 02-28-2008 at 07:21 AM said:
Since the topic of addiction is one of the (many) tributaries of this thread, I'm going to throw out a plug for a TV show called "Interventions" on the A&E channel.

It's a show where a camera crew follows an addict around showing the wreckage of their life before they spring a suprise intervention on the subject featuring their families begging them to get help. Some of these people are so extreme it is unbeliveable, but all of them end up realizing they are f$%ked if they don't go for treatment and submit.

Most of the addicts seem to be into Meth or heroin with a few hardcore alcoholics sprinkled in and the show is a total car wreck. You can't turn away and you wait curiously for the synopsis at the end where they detail how they made out in treatment. Most seem to turn it around and some other sad cases usually end up in jail or worse.

My wife is thinking about having an intervention with me to get me to stop watching this show, but I'm hooked.

Note that no reefer maniacs have been or probably ever will be featured, but it is damn good voyeuristic TV.

Agreed. :thumb:

(And those crystal meth addicts do some crazy things.)

Hawg73 on 02-28-2008 at 08:21 AM said:

That's because you can't be a "weed junkie".

As Bob Saget said, "You ever suck dick for weed?!?!?"

tmack on 02-28-2008 at 08:23 AM said:
Agreed. :thumb:

(And those crystal meth addicts do some crazy things.)

Bleeping aye-right, Sargeant.

I heard a stat once for both meth and oxycontin that 98% of the people that even TRY either one-- never stop taking it. They are, in effect, zombies.

That scares the living shit out of me.

Back