Post-Cut Roster

OL R.J. Dill is #71, I think, an UDFA from....wait for it.....Rutgers. :coffee:

Also, Leon Washington's locker is still intact.

OL R.J. Dill is #71, I think, an UDFA from....wait for it.....Rutgers. :coffee:

Also, Leon Washington's locker is still intact.

Just saw that and was starting to follow up.

6063/316
5.43/1.92, 23 reps, 28" vert, 8.08 brd, 4.82 ss, 8.03 3c

Transferred from Maryland to Rutgers.

Played in the Shrine Game (there's THAT again) where he received no positive scouting notes that I saw - "stiff, upright, lacks punch, athleticism, lateral agility".

PS/scout-team only, I hope.

And all but Tupa were left footed.

Seems BB likes them.

Speculation that i believe i once saw BB quoted on (how's that for vague): a lefty punter spins the ball the opposite way, which can be offputting for a receiving player, and kicks from the opposite side, which can alter the rush scheme and blocking protections. Anything for an edge...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

James Develin cut. Not PS eligible. I see a TE coming. Unless Gronk is ready to play that is.

I would have to guess that Washington is coming back, though I've read that it won't be until after game 1. Maybe they're bringing Fells back.

Speculation that i believe i once saw BB quoted on (how's that for vague): a lefty punter spins the ball the opposite way, which can be offputting for a receiving player, and kicks from the opposite side, which can alter the rush scheme and blocking protections. Anything for an edge...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

This. The Exiles' head coach was also explaining to me that the same is true of lefty quarterbacks. He said that you will often see dropped passes when a lefty is suddenly brought off the bench as receivers take time to adjust to the flight of the ball. This conversation started because he was trying to show me how to throw properly and I am left handed.
Posted via Mobile Device

From Derek Havens:

From what I understand, #Patriots will re-sign Leon Washington Monday or Tuesday next week, following week 1. Won't have to guarantee $ then

Patriots are expected to sign TE Matt Mulligan, cut by the Packers.

From Derek Havens:

From what I understand, #Patriots will re-sign Leon Washington Monday or Tuesday next week, following week 1. Won't have to guarantee $ then

Details

(although to be fair I wasn't expecting such a limited role player)

I'd like another TE, preferable Fells for short money. Everyone knows we won't need Gronk til at least game 3. BB is just making Buffalo and the Jets prepare for him.

Develin didn't even make it to first game. He was cut. Hopefully BB don't try something stupid by bringing back tebow.

Develin didn't even make it to first game. He was cut. Hopefully BB don't try something stupid by bringing back tebow.

They replaced Develin with a 6'5"/260lb, 6th-year blocking TE who can maybe catch a little more and who also has ST experience (Matthew Mulligan).

Seems to me that the thing they were trying to do with Develin and Hooman working in tandem as sort of TE/FB hybrids maybe just wasn't working out in practice as well as they'd hoped, so they're still tinkering.

They replaced Develin with a 6'5"/260lb, 6th-year blocking TE who can maybe catch a little more and who also has ST experience (Matthew Mulligan).

Seems to me that the thing they were trying to do with Develin and Hooman working in tandem as sort of TE/FB hybrids maybe just wasn't working out in practice as well as they'd hoped, so they're still tinkering.

I'm thinking that maybe they kept Develin as insurance until Hooman's contract restructure is finalized.

I'm thinking that maybe they kept Develin as insurance until Hooman's contract restructure is finalized.

There is that.

But he and Hooman were working in tandem (not tag-team) on a lot of plays in the last two pre-season games. It was certainly a different look and, no matter how well it seemed to be working out (or not) to Josh, at least the Bills and the Jets coaches wasted some of their time preparing for it.

Listening to the radio today they (mainly fat-ass Gresh) made good points concerning some of the moves.

1.) Develin: they wanted a big body to run a version of the two-TE set, and were settling for a TE/FB version of it because Jake Ballard couldn't block well enough and Develin is a blocking upgrade over Sudfeld (who's about 10 pounds too light at 250). When Mulligan became available they decided it's better to have an even bigger body who is also an actual TE.

2.) Mesko: yes, they saved money, but that money is chump change in the big picture. It doesn't make sense when considering that Mesko is also a good locker-room guy. But the Chiefs raised the bar for punter salaries this offseason with Colquitt (which I think his brother bested with the Broncos not long ago). Mesko would've been a free agent next season, I think, and the Pats wanted to jump the gun and avoid a big punter salary by keeping this kid, who's got a good leg. Add the left-footed thing, and I guess it made sense to just do it now instead of using a draft pick next year for a punter who might not be as good as this kid.

Listening to the radio today they (mainly fat-ass Gresh) made good points concerning some of the moves.

1.) Develin: they wanted a big body to run a version of the two-TE set, and were settling for a TE/FB version of it because Jake Ballard couldn't block well enough and Develin is a blocking upgrade over Sudfeld (who's about 10 pounds too light at 250). When Mulligan became available they decided it's better to have an even bigger body who is also an actual TE.

2.) Mesko: yes, they saved money, but that money is chump change in the big picture. It doesn't make sense when considering that Mesko is also a good locker-room guy. But the Chiefs raised the bar for punter salaries this offseason with Colquitt (which I think his brother bested with the Broncos not long ago). Mesko would've been a free agent next season, I think, and the Pats wanted to jump the gun and avoid a big punter salary by keeping this kid, who's got a good leg. Add the left-footed thing, and I guess it made sense to just do it now instead of using a draft pick next year for a punter who might not be as good as this kid.

Good (and accurate, IMHO) summation. On both counts.

Back